PDA

View Full Version : Sandrine Testud RETIRES

Aloysius
Jul 8th, 2002, 04:32 PM
This was a little snippet in my local paper today. Sorry if something similar has been posted before.

============================

GAME, SET AND MATCH

World No. 10 Sandrine Testud, who discovered last month that she was pregnant, has decided to call an end to her tennis career.

"My life as a tennis player is finished, quite finished," the Frenchwoman said.

"I won't come back to the circuit after the birth," said Testud, who discovered while she was playing in Birmingham a month ago that she was pregnant.

She said her loss to compatriot and close friend Mary Pierce last week at Wimbledon, where she was eighth seed, was her last singles match.

Testud, 30, who reached her highest singles ranking of ninth in February 2000, pulled out of the women's doubles third round last Monday saying she was unwell and left London with her husband and coach Vittorio Magnelli for their family home in Lyon.

She is the third leading French player in the last two years to retire at the top of their game after Julie Halard, who was world No. 15 when she quit in 2000, and Nathalie Tauziat at No. 3 last year.

Jem
Jul 8th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Just back from a long vacation and saw this headline on CNN. Big news. Testud has long been one of my favorites, and I'm sorry to see her leave the game. She should be very proud of her career. She is a player who really maximized her potential and made a commitment to being the best player she could be. Wishing her much luck with motherhood, family life and whatever else she pursues.

Doris Loeffel
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Well I wish her all the best for her future!!
Hope she'll be able to enjoy family live!!

Good luck Sandrine.

wave
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Sorry to hear that. She seemed to be one of the nicest ladies on tour. I wish her good luck in her private life. We will miss you Sandrine!:wavey:

jomar
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:49 AM
I'm glad I've seen her play in person before she retired.:angel:

best of luck Sandrine and God bless your family circle.:)

Flappie
Jul 10th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Well...she never managed to beat Martina! Is that a record?! :p

I wish her well in the future! :D

Flappie
Jul 10th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Jomar, you *stole* my signature! ;)

ASV_FAN
Jul 10th, 2002, 02:19 PM
It's a real loss to the tour, I can't believe her highest ranking was only #9 she was definitely better than that. She consistently tested the very top players pushing them to tight 3 setters and sometimes winning.

She'll be a real miss IMO.

babsi
Jul 10th, 2002, 02:55 PM
It wasn't even mentioned on the WTA site:mad:

Does anyone think that she will attend a tournie for a retirement ceremony or not?

DutchieGirl
Jul 10th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Sad news, but I wish her luck with the rest of her life! :D

Couver
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:36 PM
I was so sad to hear this :sad: But Sandrine was a great player, and she had some pretty big wins. I'm glad she's starting a family, I wish her all the best.

:)

GoSandrine
Jul 11th, 2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by babsi
It wasn't even mentioned on the WTA site:mad:

Does anyone think that she will attend a tournie for a retirement ceremony or not?

I doubt it Babsi but it is a nice thought. :)

I would definitely like to formerly complain to the WTA though. I can't believe there's not even an article! :fiery:

Anyone have any email addresses of some head WTA honchos I can vent to? :wavey:

-Sonic-
Jul 11th, 2002, 12:09 AM
Website comments and suggestions please eMail: Webmaster@fans.sanexwta.com

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 11th, 2002, 12:17 AM
Wishing happiness to Sandrine

brickhousesupporter
Jul 11th, 2002, 12:21 AM
I hope she enjoys her new life. Best wishes with the pregnancy. Her fans will definitely miss her.

Hey does that mean that Serena has officially escaped the Testud number 1 curse. :bounce:

Buitenzorg
Jul 11th, 2002, 01:13 AM
I think this is a great decision, is better than she has to push herself to still playing Tennis.

Beige
Jul 11th, 2002, 11:29 AM
All things considered, Sandrine you had a good career. You pushed the top players to the limit practically every time you played them even bouncing them magnificently (Venus, Lindsay and Monica, come to mind).

You'll be missed, ST! :kiss:

TS
Jul 11th, 2002, 01:12 PM
So no mention on the WTA site? :confused:

Geez, how UNlike them :rolleyes:

Ed, give em what they deserve :kiss: