PDA

View Full Version : Wow yet another Russian talent on the horizon!

Jakeev
Jul 8th, 2002, 03:42 PM
I don't know anything about her but I am surprised to have seen Vera Douchivina of Russia had a rather convincing three-set win over Maria Sharapova to win the Wimbledon girls title.

I am very impressed with the talent that is coming from that country. In fact, I am beginning to wonder if we are gonna see a big change in the tennis rankings say 3-5 years from now.

I will say again I think its exciting that finally, Russia is producing great tennis talents.

My only question is, are these players gonna be powerful enough to unseat the top five players someday?

Congrats to both Vera and Maria!!!

P.S. Was that the first all-Russian Grand slam final for girls?

Berlin_Calling
Jul 8th, 2002, 03:50 PM
I dont have the answer for the last question but I heard that Vera was overpowering Maria yesterday. So i guess she is a powerful girl. Anybody have a pic of Vera?

per4ever
Jul 8th, 2002, 03:55 PM
check the juniorsites for a pic of Vera..http://www.itfjuniors.com or http://www.*****************

I doubt it was the first russian final ever...Russia always had great talents.

ys
Jul 8th, 2002, 04:04 PM
I think two of the last three Orange Bowl finals we All-Russian finals. And I think that Russians won something like 4 out of last 5 Orange Bowls ( u18) .

Volcana
Jul 8th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Jakeev - The unanswered question is, IS Russian producing great tennis talent? None of these players are Olga Morozova yet. The last two Russian top ten players have both failed to win a single WTA tournament.

I can't help feeling that the more fame she gets before winning, the likelier Sharparova is to wind up like Kournikova and Dementieva. Both massive underachievers.

ys
Jul 8th, 2002, 04:12 PM
I can't help feeling that the more fame she gets before winning, the likelier Sharparova is to wind up like Kournikova and Dementieva. Both massive underachievers.

Both being 21 or younger. Dementieva being on Tour only for 3 years. And you really think that Dementieva and Kournikova "wound up"? Some people's love for idiotic cliches puzzles me..

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 8th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Vera's big and strong, she just got to grips with Maria after losing 1st set on a lucky net cord which she was mad about and then after she stepped her game up another 2-3 levels

and did what she did to Maria a week earlier in sets 2 and 3.
I wasn't at all suprised at the outcome. When Vera gets going there's little most can do.

there were 5 Russian girls in the QF's there.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 8th, 2002, 04:26 PM
getting to top 10 isn't under-achieving at all, the best girls will be the ones in years to come.

they are getting better every year. the more girls they see in the top 100 or so the more hungrier the young ones get and the lines are endless.

We'll have 20 or more in top 100 in 3-4 yrs and thats without other old Soviet states who are catching up pretty fast as well.

Jakeev
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:05 AM
I was referring to Grand Slam junior finals not the Orange Bowl. As far as I know, there had not been a all-Russian girl final in a Grand Slam event prior to Wimbledon.

Williams Rulez
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:14 AM
I agree... I did browse the junior sites that day looking for results and I must say I was shocked to see the number of Russians in the big events...

Jakeev
Jul 10th, 2002, 01:03 AM
And not just the junior tournaments. There must be more than a dozen or so Russian women competing in one of the three current WTA tour stops this week.

Again the look of the rankings will be changing faster than we realize

Cassius
Jul 10th, 2002, 01:15 AM
Russia have 50 pro women in the rankings according to www.sanexwta.com

the cat
Jul 10th, 2002, 01:45 AM
Volcana, writing off Maria Sharapova is a big mistake! :eek: This was her first full year in the juniors, and she made the finals in most of her tournaments. The fame will not affect Maria the way it did Anna. Maria, her parents and her managers have learned from Anna's mistakes.

Jakeev, this is a very good thread! :D Vera has the edge on Maria right now. And I think the 2 inches in height and 36 pounds of weight are quite a great advantage for one 15 year old (Vera) to have over another (Maria). :eek:

Jakeev
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Well Cat the reality with today's game is you have to be taller, bigger and stronger to compete at the championship level at a consistent basis.

Sure with fitness and talent, a player like Justine Henin will be a challenger for the top, but I don't think we will ever see a player like Anna Smashnova ever dominate an entire tennis season.

I have to assume Maria eventually will get bigger and stronger. SHe has a long way to go so anyone who writes her off now had better not bet their houses on it.

Williams Rulez
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Maria is only what, 14? She will grow bigger for sure... :)

TatiAnnahølic
Jul 10th, 2002, 12:08 PM
http://www.wimbledon.com/images/pics/large/bv003_14.jpg

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 10th, 2002, 12:28 PM
1999 US Open final Lina Krasnoroutskaya vs Nadia Petrova

Orange Bowl has the same status as the SLAMs in the junior scene, the field is just as good as in the SLAMS.

finals including ex-SOV states
1999 WIM Iroda Tulyaganova v Lina Krasnoroutskaya
RG 2001 Kaia Kanepi d. Svetlana Kuznetsova

Jakeev
Jul 11th, 2002, 06:56 AM
BoiledEgg The Orange Bowl is a prestigious event but it's not a Grand Slam event........

By the way, what is the latest on Lina K?

PHOENIX-2002
Jul 11th, 2002, 07:11 PM
in five years we will see a lot of russian and ukrainian girls in top 100!!!!

ptkten
Jul 11th, 2002, 09:26 PM
Juniors are different from the pro tour....Slams are at the same level as other big tournaments...they are all called Grade A tournaments, the Orange Bowl, Banana Bowl, World Super Juniors in Japan, and Italian are the only others as far as I know.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 11th, 2002, 09:41 PM
there are 9 Grade A events in total. Orange Bowl has always had the same status as the SLAMS more than the other Grade A events.

Coffee Bowl is 1st Grade A event and takes place in 1st week of the year in Costa Rica
Coffee Bowl
AUS OPEN
Banana Bowl
Italian Open
ROLAND GARROS
WIMBLEDON
US OPEN
World Super Jr's
ORANGE BOWL

Latest from Lina is that she's been pracitsing for 3 weeks and her ankle is "normal" and she is getting ready for her comeback in LA.

xcrtbckhnd
Jul 12th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Weird winner's up trophy? A clock? I guess it's just a matter of time before Maria makes her mark! ;-)