PDA

View Full Version : Most annoying Grunts- WTA

mboyle
Jul 8th, 2002, 03:07 PM
In your opinion, of the following players, whose grunt do you find most annoying?

Lady Clarissa
Jul 8th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Since when was Jelena Dokic Chinese

Bright Red
Jul 8th, 2002, 03:21 PM
I don't find any of the grunts annoying. I prefer Venus' of the ones that are listed.

Dirty Sanchez
Jul 8th, 2002, 03:27 PM
I reckon Schiavone's is the most annoying by far.

She sounds like a Barn Owl!!

irma
Jul 8th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Jelena's and Paul-Henri Matheui's!

the cat
Jul 8th, 2002, 03:41 PM
I voted for Serena Williams. And she's winning the vote in a runaway! :eek:

Elena Dementieva has the sweetest grunts and squeals! :D

selesrules
Jul 8th, 2002, 03:51 PM
I don't know how Schiavone grunts, I never saw her. As for the rest, I don't hate any grunts and I actually think that it's more exciting when players grunt because it adds a little spice, you hear their efforts, it's just fun to watch 2 people playing and grunting. But Dokic's grunt is kind of weird so I picked it. I love Monica's and Serena's grunts.

2ace2
Jul 8th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Seles is VERY annoying!

ceetje
Jul 8th, 2002, 03:54 PM
serena's grunts are very annoying !

per4ever
Jul 8th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Seles and Serena

ziggy
Jul 8th, 2002, 04:16 PM
It shows effort. Let the girls grunt away...I worry when Serena's grunts are low. The louder, the better...

MaSha FaN
Jul 8th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Seles

RockSteady
Jul 8th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Schiavone grunts well after she hit the ball...usually she grunts as it crosses the net. Weird, but more funny than annoying.

Jelena Dokic sneezes every time she hits the ball. More funny than annoying.

Seles and Serena both grunt loud, but Serena blows Monica out of the water in decibal level. Serena gets my most annoying award for the fact that it is so loud, and not a grunt but a scream.

RYNJ
Jul 8th, 2002, 04:42 PM
It doesn't matter to me. If you grunt and makes you play your game, and im all for it.

ktwtennis
Jul 8th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Serena's is really annoying because it's not even a grunt...IMO Serena does it for intimidation and to boost her ego...

ziggy
Jul 8th, 2002, 04:52 PM
What makes you think she has time during a tough match to be thinking of intimidating the girl she is playing? Why not everyone else? All these other players grunt, why is hers the only fake one? I just dont get it.

ziggy
Jul 8th, 2002, 04:54 PM
You people act like you are in the Williams Sisters head and you know just what they are thinking. When Seles matches gets tough she up the level. How comes she is not "trying to intimidate"? My god, will it ever stop?

TeNnIsFaN
Jul 8th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Hmm....Monica or Serena.

ys
Jul 8th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Serena, no question about that..

ktwtennis
Jul 8th, 2002, 05:04 PM
The reason Serena's is an attempt at intimidating is because I don't know anyone who would TRY to sound that way! I'd have to try extremely hard to grunt the way Serena does. It is incredibly fake and that is why I think the way I do!

RockSteady
Jul 8th, 2002, 05:33 PM
It is not natural to scream as Serena does, especially when hitting an on-balance easy shot, like a slice or volley. I don't think she is trying to psyche-out her opponents (although she might be), I just think she screams out of habit, not knowing that she does it. Monica, too.

Mitzi
Jul 8th, 2002, 05:37 PM
It's a close competition between Monica and Serena

(On the men's side, I'd choose Kuerten. he sounds like he's having sex)

Kart
Jul 8th, 2002, 05:38 PM
Serena's screaming is a new thing this year and whilst I don't much care for it, it's clearly working so I think we'd all better get used to it quick - just like a few years ago we all had to get used to Monica :cool:.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jul 8th, 2002, 05:50 PM
I dont like Venus' grunt.

ys
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Serena's screaming is a new thing this year and whilst I don't much care for it, it's clearly working so I think we'd all better get used to it quick - just like a few years ago we all had to get used to Monica

I am not sure about that.. Players may complain that screaming distract them.. The spectators keep silent not to distract players. Why should it be different for players? It is up to WTA to rule on that I guess. But it is clearly a problem and do needs some regulation.

TSequoia01
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:14 PM
I noticed that Serena is toning down a bit. But she has incorporated her new bounce. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :eek: :drool:

Elske
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Serena!

treufreund
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Venus's is so shrill!!!

VenusSerena
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:22 PM
actually i would love to have serena's grunt. it is annoying, but that is a good thing. If i were to play her I would hate it. but i would love to have it playing another perosn. matter of fact, i think i will work on it!

Zl@tko
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:26 PM
I don't think that grunts are annoying, sometimes maybe, but I can't imagine Monica, Venus, Serena or Jelena without their grunts. I think they would not be the same players without their grunts.

TatiAnnah°lic
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Venus :S

R. DIS
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:06 PM
You guys all sound like John MacEnroe and all those stuck up journalists that all talk about how the players grunt. Who cares???? It's part of the game and it always will be, it's not something to get used to.

Frau Antje
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:09 PM
definately Seles :rolleyes:

selesfan
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:14 PM
A toss up between Venus' and Jelena's.

mboyle
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by karenrac
It's a close competition between Monica and Serena

(On the men's side, I'd choose Kuerten. he sounds like he's having sex)

Right ON! Kuerten's grunt does make you feel like you are watching a dirty movie instead of a tennis match!:angel:

Sean
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Venus its too high, Elena D's is a bit annoying too.

nysaga
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by TSequoia01
I noticed that Serena is toning down a bit. But she has incorporated her new bounce. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :eek: :drool:

Toning down? lol Did you watch her Wimbledon match against Venus, her grunts were the loudest that they've ever been.

selesfan
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:31 PM
I think Guga sounds like the cowardly lion from the Wizard of Oz when he grunts. Funny thing is he even grunts during practices.:)

▀coene
Jul 8th, 2002, 09:02 PM
I like the grunt of Elena D. :bounce:

Jippo McScally
Jul 8th, 2002, 09:17 PM
Maria Sharapova in the Wimby girls final! :eek:
Can someone say screaming!

schris
Jul 8th, 2002, 10:17 PM
Francesca Schiavone

Cilla
Jul 9th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Dokic's is so weird:eek: My Dad said he feels sorry 4 her because she sounds like she is crying! At the mo I would say Serena. Venus' is like a little yapping dog, I have got used to Monica now. You missed out Elena Baltacha from that list DIEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!:p

Lisbeth
Jul 9th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Serena - my husband won't even let me watch her matches with the sound on :(

xin_hui
Jul 9th, 2002, 09:19 AM
definitely schiavone...when i first heard her grunt, i was like," who is this?!!"
and not to mention she grunts way after she hit the ball

Nan Cu
Jul 9th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Serena!!! ... and the poll backs me up. I didn't watch the womens' final, but she was at her loudest at Roland Garros against that Russian girl (Zvonerava?), when she lost the first set. Did you see the way she was looking at Kournikova at net during their doubles semi. Serena definately grunts to intimidate.

A close second is Elena Dementieva: Pig of the WTA.

salima
Jul 9th, 2002, 09:33 AM
I thought it was something wrong with the ventilation system in the hall, until I discovered that the sound came from one of the players, Dokic. Grunting is normaly not annoying, but sometimes it doesn`t fit in the. May be Schiavone shouts to get the ball where she want it to go (or maybe not)

Lukasx9x
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:40 AM
I would say you are more annoying than anyone for posting such a stupid topic. Perhaps if you played at such a high level as these women you would have a "natural" grunt???
My vote is for you.

Williams Rulez
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Francesca Schiavone... useless grunt.

I love Venus' and Dokic's grunts... :D

I turn down the volume of my TV when Monica and Serena play... a little too loud on ears...

FP
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:14 PM
congradulations to Serena she won this one hahahaha LOL :)

FP
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:16 PM
LOL Nan Cu :D
why u r so cruel to Elena :o

Greenout
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:56 PM
M-boyle,

You got the sound effects so on the money.
Ha!! Schiavone (I like..) is sort of a delayed whooshing
sound to my ears.

Mateo Mathieu
Jul 9th, 2002, 01:37 PM
DIEEEEE!! ;) I like that one LOL! :D

mboyle
Jul 9th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Lucasx9x, how do you know I even play tennis, (I do) and if I grunt (I do). Anyway, you surely have not seen me play, and thus don't know what my grunt sounds like. I was simply curious, and if you did not like the topic, you should not have responded.

mn73
Jul 9th, 2002, 05:49 PM
This poll was done by someone who has never heard Maria Sharapova play obviously!!! She SCREAMS!!!

Most annoying grunt at Wimbledon was Elena Likhovtseva, who sounds like she says 'out' BEFORE she hits the ball. Funniest was Elena Baltacha who sounds like she yells 'DIE' when she hits the ball.

Their match in the 3R was fun - DIE, OUT, DIE, OUT, DIE, OUT etc.

Majolifan
Jun 14th, 2003, 09:55 PM
And what about Bovina?

DA FOREHAND
Jun 14th, 2003, 10:09 PM
The reason Serena's is an attempt at intimidating is because I don't know anyone who would TRY to sound that way! I'd have to try extremely hard to grunt the way Serena does. It is incredibly fake and that is why I think the way I do!

No you think the way you do because you're fucked in the head!

DA FOREHAND
Jun 14th, 2003, 10:10 PM
"that is why I <b>think</b> the way I do!"

There you go working with no tools again.

alexusjonesfan
Jun 14th, 2003, 10:13 PM
I have another player's grunt to add but I can't remember the name (anyone else know this?). I saw her play Monica last year at the US Open (4th round maybe?). I think she was from Austria and the match went 3 sets. It was fun to watch, it was like a battle of grunts out there...almost as much fun as watching Serena vs. Monica: ha.eee! - hunrg! - ha.eee! - hunrg! - ha.eee! - AOUT!

faboozadoo15
Jun 14th, 2003, 10:19 PM
i like them all, but sometimes serena is a little too loud, bovina's can get too long, schiavone's comes after she hits the ball (wtf), and maria sharapova's because its way too loud sometimes. my favs are monica, venus, and jelena.

caelestia- talking about schwartz? 2nd round, that was. i don't remember her grunt, but i remember that match!

Dirty Sanchez
Jun 14th, 2003, 10:22 PM
Wow this is pretty old!

I like being able to see what I wrote this time last year!

And I still think Schiavone has the most annoying grunt by a mile! :)

decemberlove
Jun 14th, 2003, 10:24 PM

just cos you cant do it easily, doesnt mean serena cant. you said it yourself "i dont know anyone who would TRY to sound that way". grunts come naturally, thats why everyone has a different sound. not everyone is like you :rolleyes:

Ryan
Jun 14th, 2003, 10:25 PM
I have another player's grunt to add but I can't remember the name (anyone else know this?). I saw her play Monica last year at the US Open (4th round maybe?). I think she was from Austria and the match went 3 sets. It was fun to watch, it was like a battle of grunts out there...almost as much fun as watching Serena vs. Monica: ha.eee! - hunrg! - ha.eee! - hunrg! - ha.eee! - AOUT!

lol, it was the lefty Babsi Schwartz. She does have an annoying grunt.;)

alexusjonesfan
Jun 14th, 2003, 10:43 PM
lol, it was the lefty Babsi Schwartz. She does have an annoying grunt.;)

Thanks, that's who I was looking for! :)
I think grunts do make the game more interesting to watch. It's interesting when sometimes players who normally never grunt start doing it for brief periods. It's like they're broadcasting how much more strain they're under. I remember even Hingis getting into the grunting on a couple occassions near the end of long rallies.

selesfan87
Jun 14th, 2003, 10:54 PM
Dementieva.

BigB08822
Jun 14th, 2003, 10:54 PM
Venus Williams for me.

I also laugh everytime I watch Dokic play. I feel like I'm watching some machine thats letting out bursts of air or something...

Barrie_Dude
Jun 14th, 2003, 11:41 PM
Monica

SpikeyAidanm
Jun 15th, 2003, 04:04 AM
Barbara Schwartz'

darren cahill
Jun 15th, 2003, 04:17 AM
Monica..

i hate grunting anyways...its just a bad habit..no different than Andres snot blowing and greg rusdeksikisisiss constant towel grabbing

Venus Forever
Jun 15th, 2003, 04:25 AM
Schiavone :rolleyes:

BTW, what ever happened to Williams_Rulz?? Anyone know what happened?? I remember many of his/hers posts when I first joined, but haven't heard anything since. :confused:

AKTW
Jun 15th, 2003, 04:30 PM
Elena Dementieva has the sweetest grunts and squeals! :D
Definitely! :) :D

AKTW
Jun 15th, 2003, 04:32 PM
A close second is Elena Dementieva: Pig of the WTA.
You must be joking!

Experimentee
Jun 15th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Dokics is the most annoying. It sounds like shes sneezing every time she hits the ball!
Serenas grunt does not sound like a scream compared to Venus! Venus's grunt sounds the most like a scream. I dont know how people can say Serena does it for intimidation but no one else does, that is just so biased. Serena has been doing it for a long time, it is just a habit of hers.

Experimentee
Jun 15th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Oh and Sharapova and Bovina should be on that list! They grunt even louder than Seles and Serena i think!
Lindsay Lee Waters has a funny grunt. It sounds like shes saying "Ai!" every time she hits the ball. Its very loud too.

Tweety
Jun 15th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Must be Sharapova since last week :o

Tweety
Jun 15th, 2003, 04:52 PM
Schiavone does a noise like "eeehhh", mostly right before her opponent is hitting the ball.

schris
Jun 15th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Francesca :)

Knizzle
Jun 16th, 2003, 05:27 AM
The WS don't grunt all the time. They should grunt more. They seem to get better concentration and timing on their shots when they grunt. Seles grunts on every ball, but I can't see how it can be a distraction really. If anything it lets you know the exact moment your opponent strikes the ball so you can react.

TM
Jun 16th, 2003, 05:34 AM
In your opinion, of the following players, whose grunt do you find most annoying?

please edit poll and put Schiavone's in parenthesis (hit....."EEEE")

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 16th, 2003, 05:38 AM
monicas grunt :)
dokic grunt :)

schiavone :o now thats what i call annoying ;)

Jakub
Jun 16th, 2003, 07:12 AM
Dokic i hate that grunts :mad:

seldom83
Jun 16th, 2003, 07:23 AM
why is sharapova not on the poll? with all her controversy this past week regarding her grunts, i votedfor her under 'other'!!!

Trish101
Jun 16th, 2003, 09:44 AM
by far its Jennifer Grunts...LMAO gotcha! NO SERENA..whenever she grunts i wanna bitch slap her and say "bitch shut the fuck up! this is a tennis court not the fucking military academy!"

seldom83
Jun 16th, 2003, 11:19 AM
haha yeh thats the way trish

Mister B
Jun 16th, 2003, 12:39 PM
loll Sharapova's is terrible, that's the loudest I've heard! Barbara Schwartz against Seles, I was laughing so hard!! that was really a grunting contest!

caramel
Jun 16th, 2003, 02:23 PM
I voted for Dementieva... :rolleyes:

timray
Jul 4th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Elena Dementieva :)

XaDavK_Kapri
Jul 4th, 2005, 12:10 AM
why is sharapova not on the poll? with all her controversy this past week regarding her grunts, i votedfor her under 'other'!!!
Because the poll was started 3 years ago ;)

But I voted other, for Sharapova, of course :angel:

Davenselesport
Jul 4th, 2005, 03:45 AM
I can't even believe this is a contest-

SCHIAVONE'S GRUNT IS SO WEIRD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She has a different grunt for the serve and groundstrokes!?

Serve: sounds like she goes ehhhFUUUUUUUUUCCCKKKK
Groundstrokes- EEEHH

Disgusting. :help:

Denise4925
Jul 4th, 2005, 04:11 AM
This is not a true poll without Maria Sharapova at the top of the list. :rolleyes:

Summer_Snow
Jul 4th, 2005, 04:21 AM
Schiavone IMO!!!
It's kinda creepy for me

@m@nd@
Jul 4th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Schiavone's....:scared:

tennisrox
Jul 4th, 2005, 10:25 AM
How in the world could you forget the queen of the scream, Maria Sharapova????

Jeff
Jul 4th, 2005, 10:55 AM
I think grunts define those players and make the matches more interesting, particularly in close matches and amazing points. I'm surprised Sharapova is not a choice in this poll.

SilK
Jul 4th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Dokic, Schiavone and Sharapova :scared:

sebbe
Jul 4th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Why didn't you have Maria in your poll?

She is the worst, and like someone else said, she is not grunting, she is screaming.

Jeff
Jul 4th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Why didn't you have Maria in your poll?

She is the worst, and like someone else said, she is not grunting, she is screaming.

I have to agree

Lady
Jul 4th, 2005, 11:07 AM
The poll is from 2002, off course Sharapova is not in the poll.
although I find it ironic that mboyle of all people started it. ;)

Lemonskin.
Jul 4th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Venus.

Lemonskin.
Jul 4th, 2005, 12:49 PM
How in the world could you forget the queen of the scream, Maria Sharapova????
Look at the date it was posted...

DevilishAttitude
Jul 4th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Sharapova. :o

Schiavone's grunts :hearts:

And why are there so many posters in this thread that have banned :confused:

Davenselesport
Jul 4th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Sharapova. :o

Schiavone's grunts :hearts:

And why are there so many posters in this thread that have banned :confused:

I noticed your avitar... Likhovsteva has an interesting yelp as well... I like it :)

SJW
Jul 4th, 2005, 02:51 PM
grunts dont bother me lol.
then again im not picky :o

Tati & Dani
Jul 4th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Sharapova and Seles

No Name Face
Jul 4th, 2005, 03:41 PM
LenaD's is cute. I love Venus's scream, even though I don't know why I don't find her "grunt" annoying and I find Sharapova's so annoying.

tucker1989
Jul 4th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Sharapova all the way

DevilishAttitude
Jul 4th, 2005, 04:53 PM
I noticed your avitar... Likhovsteva has an interesting yelp as well... I like it :)

Elena's grunt is weird but she doesn't do it that often.

Your post about Fran :rolleyes: Her grunts are like that cos of some Italian breathing technique. I have a similar but not so OTT grunt as her :hearts: :lol:

At least it's got more variety than Maria's. Maria's is grunt and then scream :o

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jul 4th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Even though I'm a big fan of Serena, sometimes her grunt sounds painful. I love Venus' and Dementieva.

lucashg
Jul 4th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Schiavone, Sharapova, Serena and Dementieva. OMG!
But sometimes, I like them all. :confused:

Mathijs
Jul 4th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Sharapova

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Jul 5th, 2005, 04:30 AM
Schiavone sounds like a man having an orgasm when she grunts..

aNYthing
Jul 5th, 2005, 04:40 AM
I think that Maria has a annoying grunt sometimes...

Kworb
Jul 5th, 2005, 05:20 AM
Seles had such an awesome grunt, I miss her so much. Sharapova's grunts are irritating.

ceiling_fan
Jul 5th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Dementieva and Sharapova...

even on volleys!

Yasmine
Jul 5th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Surprising Maria Sharapova is not in this poll ;) but I went with Serena no doubt:p

Wojtek
Jul 5th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Serena

BUBI
Jul 5th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Seles :scared:

vutt
Jul 5th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Kournikova and Dokic are not WTA players any more...

rottweily
Jul 5th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Serena by far. Making the noise equivalent of an airplane when she plays a dropshot :rolleyes:

Tennisaddict
Jul 5th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Sharapova the way she was screaming (not grunting) in the semifinals of OZ was unbelievable. It was a piercing assault on the ears.

andrewbroad
Jul 30th, 2005, 03:19 AM
Worst grunters:

Evgenia Linetskaya: just a very annoying noise IMO.
Francesca Schiavone: not even synchronised with her hitting the ball!
Best grunters:

Monica Seles: her grunt was part of what attracted me to tennis in the first place, back in 1992! I just love her two-tone screams.
Maria Sharapova: she makes three different noises - what I call squeaking mode, roaring mode and, best of all, song-grunt mode.
Tatiana Golovin: such an alluring, sexy grunt - "uy! uy! UY!!"
--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/seles/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/shara/

Rexman
Jul 30th, 2005, 03:21 AM
How could you possibly not include Sharapova in the poll? Even if you don't agree, you have to know others do.

RenaSlam.
Jul 30th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Where's Sharapova? :(

Rome
Jul 30th, 2005, 03:40 AM
Sharapova has this one in the bag.

RatedR Superstar
Jul 30th, 2005, 03:47 AM
Sharapova has this one in the bag.

she should have but she's not in the poll

Scotso
Jul 30th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Because this poll is three years old :rolleyes:

RatedR Superstar
Jul 30th, 2005, 04:03 AM
Because this poll is three years old :rolleyes:

oh yeah, didnt noticed it..maybe its time to make a new one:unsure:

lucashg
Jul 30th, 2005, 04:43 AM
Make a new thread, then. For this one I voted Dementieva. Just rewatched the Charleston final and I cannot believe her noises! Sometimes it honestly sounds like a dog and when she screams after a bad miss, or a lost rally :eek: Well, it's funny in a way. Schiavone's is horrible too, but also kinda funny.

Boss monkey
Jul 30th, 2005, 05:02 AM
Were is Sharapova? her grunt sounds like some one is kicking a chimpanzee in the junk :p.

William Hunt
Jul 30th, 2005, 09:08 AM
I'd say Seles, but what about Sharapova ? She's making really annoying noise.

Chet
Jul 30th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Sharapova

RatedR Superstar
Jul 30th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Make a new thread, then. For this one I voted Dementieva. Just rewatched the Charleston final and I cannot believe her noises! Sometimes it honestly sounds like a dog and when she screams after a bad miss, or a lost rally :eek: Well, it's funny in a way. Schiavone's is horrible too, but also kinda funny.

i dont want to, Masha fans might think that i made it just to dissed Masha.im staying out of trouble.....for now

andrewC
Jul 30th, 2005, 12:35 PM
the poll starter here is a sharapova fan, no? :rolleyes:
I think her grunt/scream/utterance is by far the most aurally challenging.

honeyke
Jul 30th, 2005, 01:39 PM
sharapova and gr÷nefeld

flyingmachine
Jul 30th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Where's Sharapova? :(
If Screamapova is the in poll she will won it by a mile. :o

denine
Jul 30th, 2005, 02:45 PM
yeah. where's sharapova?she should win. :rolleyes:

RatedR Superstar
Jul 30th, 2005, 03:28 PM