PDA

View Full Version : Here is an article about Lindsay's WTT appearance

Lindsayfan32
Jul 22nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
Here is an article with a pic I found on the net thought you might want to read it.

Davenport's return is a family gathering

By Paul Bauman - Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:00 am PDT Sunday, July 22, 2007

Lindsay Davenport isn't trying to make any social statements by returning to competitive tennis only six weeks after having a Caesarean section.

She just wants to see how much she can accomplish professionally as a devoted wife and mother.

"It's turned into a bigger story than I'm comfortable with," Davenport, 31, admitted before winning both her sets as the Capitals rolled to their ninth consecutive victory, 23-13 over the Newport Beach Breakers, Saturday night at Allstate Stadium in Roseville. "On one hand, it's great because I think that being pregnant and being a mom you can still be active. On the other hand, some people can't do stuff in six weeks or four weeks. I understand that, so I'm not telling anyone what they should do.

"There's also a lot of debate about working moms and getting back in the workplace. To me, tennis is a job. I'm very fortunate that it only requires a few hours out of the day and that my son can be 20 feet from me and go to the gym with me.

"But I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for a woman to go after her hopes and dreams even though she has a child. I think it can all be together. Some people strongly disagree, and I've heard from them already."

Davenport, formerly ranked No. 1 in the world in singles and doubles, played competitively for the first time since leaving the women's circuit last September to have her first child. She made her World TeamTennis debut at 17 in 1993 with the Capitals and helped them win league titles in 1997 and 1998.

Saturday night's match before an announced crowd of 4,289, 11 short of capacity, was a true family affair for Davenport. Not only were her husband, Jon Leach, and son, Jagger, present, Davenport played mixed doubles against her brother-in-law, Rick Leach.
Davenport and Mark Knowles, formerly ranked No. 1 in men's doubles himself, defeated Michaela Pastikova and Leach 5-1 in the opening set. Davenport even aced Leach, 42, who won nine Grand Slam titles (five in men's doubles and four in mixed doubles) on the circuit.

"I didn't mean to," Davenport said sheepishly.
Davenport later teamed with Elena Likhovtseva, this year's Australian Open mixed doubles champion with Daniel Nestor, to beat Lauren Albanese, 17, and Pastikova 5-2.

The 6-foot-2 Davenport displayed powerful serves, strong returns of serve and sharp volleys, but her mobility was limited.
Aside from Davenport losing her serve once in four games and getting clocked in the head by Likhovtseva's return of a long serve, the three-time Grand Slam singles champion had a successful night.

"It's always going to be difficult," Davenport conceded after the Capitals improved to 9-2. "I haven't played much for a year, and I've only practiced for a few weeks. It was great considering what I've been through.

"It's frustrating when you want to do things better, but I never thought this would happen six weeks ago."

Davenport said she has no goal yet as she contemplates a comeback on the women's circuit.

"I like the challenge of trying to see what level I can get back at. Then I can make a better decision about my future," Davenport said. "I feel that being a mom doesn't limit me to anything in particular. I feel I can be a working mom in whatever capacity that is, be a great mom and be a great wife. I feel really lucky. I feel I have a lot of opportunities in front of me."

Davenport said she won't play singles "unless I ever feel I'm back at the level I was. I don't know if I'll be back there."
She plans to play doubles in the Pilot Pen tournament, Aug. 17-25 in New Haven, Conn., but virtually ruled out the U.S. Open the following two weeks.

"I probably wouldn't go just for doubles," said Davenport, who won the U.S. Open singles title in 1998 and doubles crown (with Jana Novotna) the previous year. "I have a long way to go to play singles at a Grand Slam level. I'm not just going to go out there to play. I want to be competitive."

The Daviator
Jul 22nd, 2007, 12:50 PM
"But I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for a woman to go after her hopes and dreams even though she has a child. I think it can all be together. Some people strongly disagree, and I've heard from them already."

:worship:

"I like the challenge of trying to see what level I can get back at. Then I can make a better decision about my future," Davenport said. "I feel that being a mom doesn't limit me to anything in particular. I feel I can be a working mom in whatever capacity that is, be a great mom and be a great wife. I feel really lucky. I feel I have a lot of opportunities in front of me."

Davenport said she won't play singles "unless I ever feel I'm back at the level I was. I don't know if I'll be back there."
She plans to play doubles in the Pilot Pen tournament, Aug. 17-25 in New Haven, Conn., but virtually ruled out the U.S. Open the following two weeks.

"I probably wouldn't go just for doubles," said Davenport, who won the U.S. Open singles title in 1998 and doubles crown (with Jana Novotna) the previous year. "I have a long way to go to play singles at a Grand Slam level. I'm not just going to go out there to play. I want to be competitive."

Hmmm, interesting comments, I knew she wouldn't go to the USO just for the sake of it, so that's that out, but I hope she will give singles a go :unsure:

And thanks LF32 :yeah:

Lindsayfan32
Jul 22nd, 2007, 12:58 PM
:worship:

Hmmm, interesting comments, I knew she wouldn't go to the USO just for the sake of it, so that's that out, but I hope she will give singles a go :unsure:

And thanks LF32 :yeah:

I want the same thing Lindsay does and that's for her to be completive again and if she can get back to where she was when she left its great. I have every faith in her that if she can't get back to where she was Lindsay will retire but I commend Lindsay for giving it a go and then she'll retire with no regrets.:)

The Daviator
Jul 22nd, 2007, 01:03 PM
I want the same thing Lindsay does and that's for her to be completive again and if she can get back to where she was when she left its great. I have every faith in her that if she can't get back to where she was Lindsay will retire but I commend Lindsay for giving it a go and then she'll retire with no regrets.:)

Yes, I definitely think it's her desire to play singles again and that she will work hard to get there, and if not, then so be it, but at least she's giving it a go :worship:

mike/topgun
Jul 22nd, 2007, 01:12 PM
Wow, this article explains much.Thank you Lindsayfan32!:D
Now, we can say that, obviously, a comeback in singles is a long term perspective. And it seems tha Lindsay is really hoping to be back at a competitive level at the GS. So, if I'm correct, she's willing to give it a try. Not in USO, but perhaps during autumn. Then, my guess is that if all goes well, she's planning a return for 2008 Aussie Open. A limited schedule, about 12 tourneys, just to compete at the biggest events like IW, Miami, Wimbledon and of course the Olympic Games.;)

Nikki
Jul 22nd, 2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the article. I think its great that she is playing again and that it her own decision, she has the support of her family & as she said her son is with her 99.9% of the time. She knows it will be hard but is willing to try, Even if there are people out there who think differently.

Good luck Lindsay, its great to see you back.

hurricanejeanne
Jul 22nd, 2007, 04:38 PM
A really good article.
I'm pretty happy with how last night went, from the stats she seemed to be the Lindsay we remembered. I like the fact that she's taking it slow but still wants to see what level she can return too. I like the fact that she still wants to be competitive with the top.

I am disappointed there are some people that are discouraging her to do this because she's a mother now. Mothers work nowadays and Lindsay, like she said, is lucky to have her son with her and only have to work a few hours out of the day.

Either way, if she returns to singles or not, I'm just so happy we got to see her play again. I'm pretty sure TTC will be showing this match in the next week or two, I'll keep my eyes peeled for it. ;)

Welcome back, Lindsay! :inlove:

Lindsayfanumber1
Jul 22nd, 2007, 07:13 PM
:bounce:
Lind :hearts: