PDA

View Full Version : 2 players reacted positive on drug tests at Roland Garos

Habsudovafan
Jul 8th, 2002, 01:46 PM
I just read it at the teletext of dutch RTL. (http://www.rtl.nl/videotext/rtl4/pag172/04) It doesn't mention which players but it says it concerns one man and one woman.
It says test where taken at all players in the quarters finals and the rounds before players where sporadically tested. I'm very curious to know who these players are. Does anyone have any more info??

irma
Jul 8th, 2002, 01:48 PM
there were these rumours about canas during the french!

Greenout
Jul 8th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Wow- Hmmm.

Volcana
Jul 8th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure it wasn't Lleyton Hewitt, or Venus or Serena. THey'd ahve been stripped of their titles, and they haven't been. Ditto for the men's doubles and mixed champs.

gentenaire
Jul 8th, 2002, 02:13 PM
There were talks of positive doping cases last year as well. I wonder why they never publically announce who tested positive. It's done like that in all other sports.

irma
Jul 8th, 2002, 02:22 PM
I doubt it's anybody who played at wimbledon because when you get caught will they not ban you right away?

gopher
Jul 8th, 2002, 02:26 PM
It is actually waiting for a breakout of a big scandal like a couple of years ago in cycling. It is ludicrous to think like some that tennis is "drugsfree". It is better to react now when it is not yet too late.

Greenout
Jul 8th, 2002, 02:32 PM
I'm a huge cycling fan, and the reason that their
"outed" as testing positive is because of the intense
bitter rivalries. The authorities are tipped off by
rival countries teams.

Greenout
Jul 8th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Alot of people suspect Miguel Indurain , and a host of
other record breakers to have been "positive" during
their moments of glory.

Lindsayfan
Jul 8th, 2002, 04:53 PM
when we will know their names?

Aloysius
Jul 8th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Interesting. I'm sure the names will be forthcoming. They could be waiting for results from the B-sample before confirming the names.

Let's see. Who played the French but skipped Wimbledon....?

rated_next
Jul 8th, 2002, 05:27 PM
oh wow :eek:

Canas competed at Wimbledon though.

rated_next
Jul 8th, 2002, 05:31 PM
All the top women competed in both grandslams as well.

Zamboni
Jul 8th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Lindsayfan
when we will know their names?

never when the ATP and WTA decide, probably :rolleyes:

paul_masterton
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:07 PM
remeber guys, it isnt necessarily a top player. Could be someone from round of 16 down to first round of qualifying.

Could be any of over 200 players.

Paul

Zamboni
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:13 PM
I read it on canvas teletext too now :(

I know it doesn't have to be a topplayer - it probably isn't, I just wanna know who they are!

irma
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:14 PM
I wanna know too!

Brian Stewart
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:33 PM
I read that one of the tests was for a performance-enhancing substance, while the other was for a banned cold medication.

If the PES was something used to add bigger muscles, I think we can rule out Janet Lee. :)

Zamboni
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I heard that too, but they didn't say who used what ;) I mean, 2 players, a man and a woman, a PES and a banned medicine....we still know nothing!

selesfan
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:38 PM
I hope its not Monica, didn't she have a cold during the FO?

rated_next
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:51 PM
:(

We will probably never know.

irma
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:56 PM
if it never comes out then for sure it is a high rated player and it will be put in the deafpot :fiery:

Zamboni
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:31 PM
It will never come out anyway.

Remember Peter Korda ;)

selesfan
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Peter Korda was a top player and he was outed.;)

Zamboni
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:38 PM
yes, after the players treatened with a boycot if he wasn't banned :rolleyes: If the ATP could have decided it would never have come out.

There was a drug scandal at last years RG too - ever heard about it again? NO!

irma
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Petr Korda was a topplayer but not a star like andre,petey, anna, cappy, venus,serena etc.

LucasArg
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by irma
there were these rumours about canas during the french!

canas works very hard to achive those results. those rumours are bullshit:rolleyes:

Becool
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:50 PM
Venus and Jennifer didn't agreed with drug tests

Dunno about Serena

selesfan
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:00 PM
They didn't like someone coming to their house for a drug test but they were tested at the FO.

Kart
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:05 PM
They took their time with Korda - after all he won Oz that year and when he tested positive at Wimbledon they let him play and lose (against Henman :rolleyes: ).

I doubt it was a top player - they've all been tested loads of times I'm sure and none of them have made any great changes in their appearance or form in the last few months.

Zamboni
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Kart
They took their time with Korda - after all he won Oz that year and when he tested positive at Wimbledon they let him play and lose (against Henman :rolleyes: ).

I doubt it was a top player - they've all been tested loads of times I'm sure and none of them have made any great changes in their appearance or form in the last few months.

That doesn't have to happen. I mean, they could not have did it on purpose, or not for long or whatever! There can be so much reasons...

Still I wanna know the names!

Sean
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:22 PM
Yeah i dont care what ranking they are i just want to know who they are.

It would be hilarious if it was a top 20 player though :eek:

Nimi
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:49 PM
Carlos Moya!! kidding.

did Marcelo Rios played in the french? ;)

Williams Rulez
Jul 9th, 2002, 09:59 AM
They won't tell you...

ace78man
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:47 AM
For those of you who are hoping for a huge drug scandal in tennis, I think you're going to be disappointed. The two banned substances that were found are lidocaine, which is a topical anesthetic applied to the skin to treat sunburn, and bupropion, which is an antidepressant sold under the brand names of Wellbutrin and Zyban, and is used to treat depression, ADHD, chronic fatigue syndrome, lower back pain, and nicotine addiction.

It was most likely two lower-ranked players who were unaware that the medications they were using contained a banned substance, la Samantha Reeves a few years ago.

irma
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:18 PM
bupropion, which is an antidepressant sold under the brand names of Wellbutrin and Zyban, and is used to treat depression, ADHD, chronic fatigue syndrome, lower back pain, and nicotine addiction.

ah now we are getting close.
wich tennisplayer looks depressed?

Greenout
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Let's see someone who's depressed, exhausted,
has chronic back problems, and smokes like a chimney.

Gee...that could be anybody on tour. :)

Zamboni
Jul 9th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by irma
bupropion, which is an antidepressant sold under the brand names of Wellbutrin and Zyban, and is used to treat depression, ADHD, chronic fatigue syndrome, lower back pain, and nicotine addiction.

ah now we are getting close.
wich tennisplayer looks depressed?

or overactive ;) Lets see, who's hyper....:eek: Lleyton! ;) j/k

Vincent
Jul 10th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Martina?
LOL..........

Cassius
Jul 10th, 2002, 06:19 AM
A few people in this thread have said that we won't be told who the players are.
Well.........if the players get banned, then all we have to do is look for players who aren't playing. Simple.