PDA

View Full Version : The Olympics Tennis Team

calabar
Jul 8th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Hello Everyone,

The current rankings show that the top 4 slots (singles) are occupied by Americans; Serena, Venus, Jeniffer and Monica.

For doubles, its Lisa Raymond at the top followed by Kibmerly Po-Messerli.

Traditionally, you can send a maximum of 4 players to represent your country, 3 for singles and a 4th for doubles. Presumably, the fourth player would team up with one of the 3 singles players to play doubles.

Now, lets assume for the sake of a board discussion, that the summer olympics are being held THIS year, and you (not BJK)were given the task of choosing an olympic team for women's tennis for the USA.

Who would you send?.......and why?

Nimi
Jul 8th, 2002, 12:45 PM
the sisters did not play doubles, Jennifer at least aggreed to. Lindsay will be back & will play doubles.

Lindsay (both singles & doubles)
Jennifer (only singles)
Monica (only singles)
Lisa (only doubles)

calabar
Jul 8th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Niminator,

Certainly, you can't be serious with your selection. You would not sent the TWO BEST PLAYERS ON THE PLANET? What exactly are you smoking? I want some.

Calabar

Volcana
Jul 8th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Calabar - the problem is, the best doubles TEAM happens to be made up of the two best SINGLES players. I'd send the Williams Sisters, and use them to play both singles and doubles. That's the strongest team. The third singles player could be Jenn, Lindsay or Monica. The 4th pick doesn't have to be used on a doubles player, since I already have my doubles team. However, since it's possible to have a backup doubles team, it might be a good idea to try it. Who knows if Venus or Serena CAN play doubles well with another partner?

The highest ranking SINGLES player who is a) not already on the team, and b) is having success right now in doubles is Chanda. I'm somewhat more inclined to take a good singles player in the #4 spot, just in case of an injury. Lisa Raymond is the #1 ranked doubles player, but only #8 in singles. But she and Lindsay won Filderstadt and Zurich last year.

So my team would likely be

Williams, Williams - Playing singles and doubles

Lindsay as 3rd singles, with Lisa on the team but not playing.

If Monica plays third singles, I'd take Chanda as #4, because she plays like Martina, and the Martina-Monica pair was successful in a limited run.

calabar
Jul 8th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Volcano -

I'd go with the top 4 in the singles rankings.

Venus and Serena playing singles AND doubles
Capriati playing singles

Monica playing a back-up role.

The one thing I would ABSOLUTELY not do is to break up the Williams doubles team to make room for Lisa Raymond. I do not dislike her or anything, however, inspite of her #1 doubles ranking, logic and common sense dictate that one keeps a winning TEAM intact. I know the last olympics brought a lot of controversy where Lisa was concered. However, If that decision had to be made today, I would still not put her on the team at the expense of a WINNING Williams formula. And that's my two cents.

Kris
Jul 8th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Venus/Serena/Jennifer in singles
Venus/Serena in doubles

Nimi
Jul 8th, 2002, 04:48 PM
u said: if you were Billie Jean King. i answered.