PDA

View Full Version : Serena's Words Heard Around the World

StarDuvallGrant
Jul 17th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Why they never bother me.

Serena's words ring obvious truth because she leaves it all on the court. Would Chrissy Everett write open letters to just any player? Would commentators, ex-players be upset that Serena was seen to be wasting her talent for Hollywood if she were not the best?

So why is it when Serena makes such comments that she is the best in the ladies field are they thrown back in her face as tacky?

Serena knows it. We her fans see it. Commentators, analysts, writers, and even her detractors are obsessed with it. Her play on the court win or lose dictates it. She's the best at what she does.

We can take a recent case like Wimbledon. I'm happy she's not a mental midget inside and out like some of her opponents. Serena would have kept alive this past Wimbledon if not for injury and lets be real, if she elected for her own illegal coaching things would have at least been better equalized. But cheating isn't Serena's thing.

We can take the Australian Open where Serena got a lot of negative remarks. She took those remarks, her own inspiration and the love of the sport and did what she is known for – fight and win. At the end what were commentators heard stating.... clearly... that Serena once again, is the best. Now they can put 'when she's focused', 'when she's healthy', etc, but the line never strays far from the point. The best.

I would rather have Serena be truthful than jealous like other players. It's rather odd that a sport like women's tennis would have some players who know prejudice/discrimination closely whether it's because of their gender, sexual orientation would be so willing to join and be apart of the mob that has followed both Serena and Venus from day one. I'm forever grateful Serena has character enough to stand alone.

I'll forgive Serena her words because her actions on court are always in the way of a true sportswoman. You'll never hear Serena say any individual player is bad for the sport. You'll never see her quit because she's afraid of losing. You'll never see her fabricate and hide the obvious because of pettiness. So if all Serena has against her are truthful words that some can't accept... I'll take them.

We all know Serena is the best. Her detractors know this too. There wouldn't have been such a stink when she was away from the game if this weren't the case. So I laugh when she's called foul mouthed, tacky, or arrogant considering her greatness was founded on her talent but cemented by her play and accomplishments. Commentators, fans, detractors alike in their agreement further build on that when Serena is on her game, she's the best women's tennis player out there.

Serena's words heard around the world :wavey:

Olórin
Jul 18th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I agree, good post :) Serena may not always be the most gracious person in defeat, but it's conduct on the court that matters most, and I think all in all she is an excellent ambassador for the game of tennis. And as arguably the most famous women's tennis player ever, I think she does it well :yeah:

Slutiana
Jul 19th, 2007, 11:16 AM
great post. Although it's early days to say shes the best. Venus might have something to say about that.

sweetpeas
Jul 21st, 2007, 06:14 PM
Just love the both of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Olórin
Jul 21st, 2007, 06:40 PM
great post. Although it's early days to say shes the best. Venus might have something to say about that.

Early days :confused: She's more than halfway through her career and has been on the tour for nearly ten years :lol:

I love Venus but I think she missed her chance to prove she was a better player than a Serena when Ree beat her in 4 consecutive Grand Slam Finals. It's like Nav and Chrissie, both are legends but most people agree who the better one is...