PDA

View Full Version : Vera thought she would beat Maria easily? Please tell me she was kidding?

the cat
Jul 8th, 2002, 12:08 AM
In her quotes from the ITF Juniors website, Vera Douchevina intimated that she thought she would beat Maria Sharapova easily. Huh? :confused: Sombody please tell me she was kidding! ;) Vera's exact quote was "I played her last week and I played very well and won quickly, so I expected the same today. She played much better this time and that surprised me a little". Surprised? :eek: Does she realize who Maria Sharapova is, and how good she is? And Maria has a routine straight set win over Vera at the Australian Hardcourt junior tournament in January. Vera talked about Maria like she was the # 100 ranked junior girl! :eek: And that dissapointed me. I'm sure Maria was more gracious towards Vera with her comments. But we'll never know because those pathetic junior websites and the horrible anti-Russian Wimbledon website never printed her quotes about the finals! :mad:

Vera clearly has the upper hand on Maria right now. And being 2 inches taller and 34 pounds heavier than Maria is a factor, too! :eek: But when Maria puts grows 2 inches and puts on 15 pounds, watch out! ;)

And the North American hard court junior and WTA seasons are coming up. Look for Maria to thrive on the hard courts!

Good luck to both Maria and Vera! :bounce: But I hope they watch what they say. I don't like it when Maria gets denigrated! :( And I'd say the same thing if Maria made those comments about Vera. I try to be fair and honest. :angel:

tenn_ace
Jul 8th, 2002, 03:25 AM
nothing surprising about it, cat...

I play with few buddies and I usually beat one of them easily, so every next time I expect the same.

I agree, Vera should have been a little bit more diplomatic, I guess, but at this age and with all the excitement of the Wimbledon winner, who is?

Is Maria good? she is highly talented and promising player, but let the racquet do the talking. In the tennis world she hasn't done much so far in terms of winning junior GSs, so fellow juniors treat her as just another good player. Maybe we should do too. Let's take all that hype away and get the results first. k?

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 8th, 2002, 03:28 AM
For Vera, Masha is just another player, she's not bothered where she trains or who she is, she knows that she is better and simple as that.

She should be more diplomatic though as things could come back to haunt her next time they play, but Vera is full of confidence and knows what she can do.

Cassius
Jul 8th, 2002, 03:32 AM
Vera is full of confidence and knows what she can do.
This is a very good thing (except for the other girls;)). All sports people needs confidence. Aslong as she's not OVER-confident, I don't see a problem.
Same as TENN_ACE said, if you beat some-one convincingly, you expect to beat them next time. It's natural.
She 'could' have been more diplomatic, but at her age, who cares about being diplomatic? I wouldn't.

the cat
Jul 8th, 2002, 03:54 AM
tenn_ace, wait for Maria's results? The top 15 after 7 18u tournaments. How's that?

And Maria has played 7 18u tournaments this year. She made the final in 6 out of those 7 tournaments. And that's damn good! I'm including the Ericsson Open because it's my thread! ;)

Sure, Maria needs to learn how to close the door. Remember that Maria has been beaten in 5 18u finls by Myriam casanova, Barbora Strycova, Su Wei Heish and twice by Vera Douchevina. All four of those girls are older than Maria. Wait until Maria fills out a little! A loss like today's won't happen. Vera is just lucky to be built like Elena Dementieva at age 15! How is that possible?

I like Vera! But she shouldn't denigrate Maria the way she did. She will live to regret those comments. People will make sure Maria knows about Vera's comments. I hope the new Russian girls don't freeze Maria out the way the other Russian girls did to Anna Kournikova. That wouldn't be fair.

I want to see Vera beat Maria on a hard court. But on a hard court, it will be Masha time! :bounce: Remember the Australian Hardcout tournamnet? ;) It was Masha time. In straight sets. And I hope Maria gets Vera in the U. S. Open and the Orange Bowl! :eek: What do you think of them apples? :kiss:

Sharky, where are you? I need your backup! :D

Congrats to Russian girls on a great Wimbledon! :bounce:

How many Russian girls ar in the top 20 now? Six? Wow! Think how dominant Russia would be if Zvonareva, Kuznetsova and Safina had played junior Wimbledon! :eek:

Cassius
Jul 8th, 2002, 04:04 AM
What do you think of them apples?
Where?
Why?
This is tennis, isn't it? What's it got to do with apples?
Vera shouldn't denigrate Maria the way she did.
I don't think denigrate is the right term.
Vera was simply showing her confidence (she'd not long ago beaten her in two EASY sets, so it's understandable). Or maybe she was trying to psyche Maria out?

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 8th, 2002, 09:48 AM
She said it after the final so its hardly psyching Masha out.

I heard that Maria was very lucky to get by her SF as well from someone who watched it. Maria K got a bit tired at end and Masha's power told.

not sure how many more junior events Maria is gonna play

the cat
Jul 8th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Eggy, Big Maria (Sharapova) was "lucky" to beat Little Maria (Kirilenko)? :confused: I kind of doubt it. Sharapova won 3 more games than Kirilenko did. And if Sharapova had won that match in straight sets like she should have, she may have had enough to get by Vera Douchevina in the final.

And where were the ace statistics from the Girls championship match? And there weren't any stats fro the Maria/Maria match. That is so frustrating! :mad:

Eggy, Maria Sharapova has alot more junior tournaments to play. And because of the well intended but misguided WTA Age Restriction Rules, Maria can't play full time on the WTA Tour for nearly 3 more years! :eek: And that's a travesty! :mad: Maria because of her extremely limited WTA schedule, 15 year old Maria Sharapova probably won't even be able to earn a top 50 WTA ranking until she's 17! And just thinking about this annoys the hell out of me! :fiery: I need a catnap! ;)

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 8th, 2002, 11:50 AM
yes there are stats from that match :)
click on player profile and then completed matches :)

Masha K hit 23 winners to Masha S 12.
even in the set she lost 6-0 she hit 6 winners to 5 from Sharky

cat thats what a lady told me, she watched that match so ???

Match Summary

Sharapova (RUS) Kirilenko (RUS)

1st Serve % 46 of 90 = 51 % 50 of 75 = 67 %

Aces 2 0

Double Faults 2 5

Unforced Errors 34 51

Winning % on 1st Serve 34 of 46 = 74 % 29 of 50 = 58 %

Winning % on 2nd Serve 18 of 44 = 41 % 9 of 25 = 36 %

Winners (Including Service) 12 23

Receiving Points Won 37 of 75 = 49 % 38 of 90 = 42 %

Break Point Conversions 6 of 11 = 55 % 3 of 8 = 38 %

Net Approaches 8 of 13 = 62 % 13 of 22 = 59 %

Total Points Won 89 76

tenn_ace
Jul 8th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by the cat
tenn_ace, wait for Maria's results? The top 15 after 7 18u tournaments. How's that?

And Maria has played 7 18u tournaments this year. She made the final in 6 out of those 7 tournaments. And that's damn good! I'm including the Ericsson Open because it's my thread! ;)

cat, I think you're overreacting. I'm sure Vera doesn't keep track of Maria's achievements. Besides, Vera is the second ranked junior after playing just 9 tournaments (Maria played 12).

but I agree, Vera should learn how to be diplomatic

the cat
Jul 8th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Thank you tennis_ace! :wavey: Vera should learn to be more diplomatic. But she sure is a sweet looking girl! :)

Anyway, when Maria and Vera play on the American hard courts, Maria has the advantage, and will tear Vera to shreds, Russian Lynx style! :eek: I hope! ;)

I wanted to see Maria hold the Wimbledon girls trophy so badly! :sad: But atleast it's in good hands with Vera! :bounce:

But to be fair, Vera has been even more impressive than Maria has been in their first year of the 18u juniors. And that's saying something! :eek: Something good! :D

I get the sense that Maria Sharapova is a killer on the court. And I get the feeling that she loves to beat her opponents badly. And that's okay. Because this is only tennis afterall. But if Vera Douchevina isn't more diplomatic with what she says about Maria in the future, bMaria will remember what Vera said, and try to take it out on Vera on the court. And if Maria isn't good enough to take it out on Vera, then she will probably take it out on Vera's good friends, Anna Bastrikova and Maria Kirilenko! :eek: But I hope it doesn't come to that. :angel:

saki
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Vera's probably a bit irritated by the fact that Maria has had much more attention, despite not having as good a record as her.

the cat
Jul 9th, 2002, 01:17 AM
Almost as good Saki. Almost as good. And Maria was the better 16u, 14u and 12u player. That's part of the reason that Maria has received much more attention than Vera. The other part of the reason is tha Maria is based in Florida, while Vera is based in Russia. Far away from the WTA tennis world.

Vera has certainly surpassed Maria this year. And I hope she gets her fair share of attention! She certainly deserves it! :D

saki
Jul 10th, 2002, 12:24 AM
I guess it's not so much the attention that Sharapova receives that's weird (after all, she is a great junior prospect - obvious to me having seen her play just once) but that Vera has had almost none. That's got to be difficult for her, and I don't blame her for rubbing it in a bit that she's beaten Maria easily before.

the cat
Jul 10th, 2002, 12:57 AM
saki, I think Vera was just speaking matter of factly about how "quicky" she beat Maria in the Roehampton final. I don't think she meant to rub it in. Vera doesn't seem to be that kind of girl! :angel:

But since Vera is starting to dominate Maria, it will be interesting to see if Nike makes Vera a contract offer. Maria Sharapova is Nike's tennis golden girl of the future! :D They have had Maria under contract for several years already. And I believe Nike recently signed up Maria Kirilenko. But Maria Kirilenko probably is not a big threat to Maria in the future. But Vera Douchevina certainly is. So it will be very interesting to see if Vera signs with Nike. Nike might want to sign up alot of Russian girls all of a sudden. Would Maria want Nike to sign up a Russian compatriot who might be or is better than her? I hope Maria wouldn't play God and tell Nike not to sign Vera. Or would Vera not even want to sign with Nike because Maria Sharapova is their female tennis star of the future? I bet Vera ends up with Adidas or Puma! Puma would be great! Because Puma is a cat. And Vera is like a young Russian Tigress! :D Okay. Puma it is! :bounce: I hope! ;)

the cat
Jul 13th, 2002, 11:34 AM
You're probably right knopler6. And in retrospect, I don't think Vera meant to knock Maria at all. She just spoke her mind.