PDA

View Full Version : Do 100% Russian tennis players take pride in beating U.S. based Russian players?

the cat
Jul 7th, 2002, 06:04 PM
I would think so. Mainly because of the Russian tennis facilities and weather aren't nearly as good as American tennis facilities and weather. So it has to feel extra good for a Russian based tennis player to beat a U.S. based Russian tennis player. Right?

I would like to see what the Russian posters think about this.

Do you think Vera Douchevina takes special pride in the fact that she lives and trains in Russia and beat the much publicized U.S. based Maria Sharapova in the girls final at Wimbledon? :confused:

I would love to hear from Nina and other Russians on this subject.

I hope Maria Sharapova doesn't have the same relating difficulties to the other Russian girls that Anna Kournikova has had. I think Maria handles herself better than Anna does. So I'm hoping she doesn't have problems with the other Russian girls.

Any feedback would be appreciated. :kiss:

the cat
Jul 7th, 2002, 07:59 PM
Another motivation for Vera to beat Maria is that Sport-Express chose to interview U.S. based Maria the other day, instead of Russian based Vera. I would think stuff like that would be taken as a form of disrespect from Vera. And that would increase her motivation to beat Maria. Is that fair to say?

And Vera Douchevina better start to get the respect she deserves. And sponsors, too! I've seen recent pictures of Vera wearing Lacoste tennis sportswear. I doubt she is sponsored by them. Lacoste seems kind of ancient. Vera should be sponsored by Adidas or Puma. Puma would be great! Afterall, Vera is like a big cat! :D If Maria Sharapova is the "Russian Lynx", then Vera Douchevina is the "Russian Tigress"! :bounce:

the cat
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:02 AM
Poor Maria! :( Probably everyone in Russia not related to her was rooting for Vera! :eek: I guess it's to be expected. And Maria better get used to it. Because she might start receiving the Anna Kournikova treatment from Russian tennis fans who live in Russia. But is that fair?

Nina_rus
Jul 9th, 2002, 09:32 AM
hmmm it's hard to say it might be different for every player, it's better to ask them :). I think that for them playing against a US based player might be like playing a player from a different country, in the case of Vera and Masha- they've never played tournaments in Russia together, I imagine they don't talk much, don't practice together, don't know each other well, never played in a team together...she's just another opponent for her

About the Sport-Express interview- I doubt Vera even knew about it, but she might feel good after beating Masha as many people are talking about her now.

About the sponsors- yeah I really doubt she has a contract with Lacoste, I've seen her wear clothes of various brands, and Babolat aren't sponsoring her either I guess because she's not in the list of Juniors on their site :(

Nina_rus
Jul 9th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Our facilities are not that bad now, we can't change the weather but indoor tennis centers are being built with everything that a young player might need during the winter, and there are many outdoor courts. One big problem- training here is very expensive.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:31 AM
I know Vera did have a contract with Babolat, she was on the Babolat list, now i can't find that site :mad:

at Wimbledon she was wearing adidas shoes, la coste top and i think it was a Nike skirt.

winning this can only help her get some contracts, they don't have to be that much just anything for a little bit can help.

Vera did say she doesn't know Masha that well and she's just another opponent.

Nina_rus
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:30 PM
I read her mind :eek: :)

Nina_rus
Jul 9th, 2002, 01:25 PM
on that Babolat list out of the Russian girls there are only two- Dinara and Svetlana K.

the cat
Jul 9th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Thanks for your info! :wavey: Especially the Russian point of view!

Eggy, where did Vera say she doesn't know Maria that well? It makes sense though. And Nina is a mind reader, too! :bounce:

I sure hope Vera gets a couple of respectable contracts soon. But there shouldn't be any rush to sign anything. You don't want to take the hunger factor away from her. You know that when Vera Douchevina looks at Maria Sharapova, she see's Anna Kournikova, publicity and money. And I don't blame Vera for wanting to beat Maria for reasons other than just tennis.

But that beautiful heartwarming photo of Vera and Maria during the trophy presentation, shows that everything is fine between them. But Maria must be shocked that Vera is pounding her in their matches! :eek:

Aren't the tennis companies offer contrasts to the Russian girls now the way they used to to the German girls? What are they waiting for?

As for Vera Douchevina, is she with IMG or Octagon? She has had a brilliant first year in the 18's. She has dominated the top seeds in a stunning fashion! :eek: Haven't the tennis people realized her potential and approahed her parents or agents about deals? What are they waiting for? At the 2000 U.S. Open, the then 18 year old Elena Dementieva was without a contract when she made her surprising charge to the semi's. And Elena is good looking and had already won the 16u and 18u Orange Bowl tournaments. So tennis people should have known about her. Vera is good looking, too. Not that it should matter. But it does and we all know it. Vera is sitting pretty right now. I hope she gets a couple of nice deals. But nothing that would take the hunger away from her.

Nina, you speak English very well. Is it mandatory in Russian schools?

Nina_rus
Jul 9th, 2002, 03:12 PM
I lived in America for some time :)

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 9th, 2002, 03:22 PM
Vera is with Octagon as well.

Nina_rus
Jul 9th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Returning to Maria - I don't think many people in Russia were/will be against her, I don't think Russians are against our players training in a different country. With Anna it was a different story, she was the biggest hope of our tennis but then many stories of her changing her citizenship appeared, she didn't play for our Fed Cup team for a while,wasn't at the Olympics, once during a press conference at the Kremlin Cup she refused to speak Russian with Russian journalists etc. and it was all blown out of proportion by the press too. But having said all that I don't think that the majority of Russian fans living here dislike her...

the cat
Jul 10th, 2002, 01:03 AM
Thanks for a the input! :wavey:

Nina, did you live in New York? Or were you here to train for tennis? I guess that's why your English is so good! :D

Octagon should go slow with Vera. The way she has devoured the top players her first year on the 18u junior tour, she should wait until the year is over and she is #1, before she signs any potentially big contracts. She should finish #1. Right? Unless the nerves and big expectations get to her, like they did Elena Dementieva. And I hope that doesn't happen with Vera. Or Maria.

Udachi Russian girls! :bounce:

Nina_rus
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:02 AM
No, I lived in Austin, Texas but that was about five years ago :). I did play tennis there but not professionaly. NOw I play much more :)

the cat
Jul 10th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Good luck with your tennis career Nina! :wavey: And thanks so much for all the information you have given fans of Russian tennis! :kiss:

Did you develope a Southern accent when you lived in Austin, Texas?

And are there any Russian tennis magazines with English translation? What ever happened to Tennis+ and Matchboll magazines? I had high hopes for those magazines a couple of years ago. I enjoyed accessing then at I think the Russa-tennis.ru website. Or maybe it was something else. I read Tennis+ monthly and used the English translation option. Now I can't even find a Russian tennis magazine. :( Things should be getting better not worse, as far as Russian tennis magazines go.

Nina_rus
Jul 10th, 2002, 03:59 PM
I don' t think there's a site where you can find any of these mags online . I can't even find Matchball in Moscow, it's not even sold at tennis tournaments anymore :(, I think the only way to get it now is to subscribe to it and I'm not even sure about that.

I don't have a Southern accent ;).I've been to England many times too so it's sort of a mixture between English and American, but a bit more American , esp when I'm saying something in a hurry :)

fresh2flash
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:13 PM
Nina, is July edition of Tennis + is on sale already? I don`t think I can get it here soon :(.

Nina_rus
Jul 11th, 2002, 06:24 AM
I don't have it yet :( I'm always late with getting Tennis +, you know :)

fresh2flash
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Yeah, perfectly :)

Nina_rus
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:54 PM
I walked up and down Tverskaya today, no tennis + :(. I guess it's not on sale yet

R. DIS
Jul 15th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Oh I wish Maria would just become an American.

the cat
Jul 15th, 2002, 11:07 AM
R. Dis, why do you want Maria to become an American citizen?

By the way, when I talked with Maria's agent recently, he said he thought Maria would remain a Russian citizen. But he also did say to me that Maria seemed like an American girl! :) And since Maria has lived and trained in America since she was 6 years old, it's only natural for her to have become Americanized.

R. DIS
Jul 15th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Yeah, I read your report, it was very good by the way. I really like Maria and its always great to have a player that you like play for your country. Ecspecially during fed cup and the olympics. And she been in the US for so long that she should just become a citizen.

By the way, when does Maria plan to turn pro???

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 15th, 2002, 02:36 PM
but she won't become an US Citizen as she is Russian and proud of it.

Maria has turned pro but she hasn't played much.

the cat
Jul 15th, 2002, 02:52 PM
She plans to turn pro either after the U. S Open or next year. Her agent said they are trying to get Maria mentally and physically ready for the pro's.

R. Dis, oddley enough, I think Maria would have a better chance to make the American Olympic tennis team than the Russian Olympic tennis team. The U.S. Olympic tennis team can have more members than the Russians can. And will the Russian Tennis Federation ever choose Maria Sharapova over other talented young Russian girls to play either Fed Cup or the Olympics? I don't know. Maria has never played on the Russian National Team on any junior or professional level. So I find it hard to believe that Maria would be chosen for the Russian National Team ahead of other talented Russian girls who have always played for their country in team competitions.

After the Williams sisters, Jennifer Capriati and Lindsay Davenport, the United States does not a have a young female player with Maria's abilities or potential. Maria may be better off playing for America in the future. But I doubt it will happen. And I don't really want it to. I want Maria Sharapova to become the greatest female Russian tennis player ever! :bounce: So what if her tennis was learned and developed in America! And so what if all of Maria's coaches are Americans! :eek: Does it really matter? :confused: