PDA

View Full Version : Istanbul to host WTA Championships from 2011-2013

raquel
Jul 9th, 2007, 10:28 PM
After Doha hosting from 2008, Istanbul will host after that.

http://www.thehindu.com/2007/07/10/stories/2007071055411800.htm
WTA year-ender in Istanbul

BANGALORE: The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour has announced that the Tour’s season-ending finale will be held at Istanbul, Turkey, for the 2011-2013 seasons.
According to a release of the WTA, the Sony Ericsson Championships will feature record prize money of over $4.5 million, equal to that of the ATP’s season-ending championships, the Tennis Masters Cup.
The singles winner’s cheque of at least $1,485,000 represents the largest single guaranteed payout in women’s tennis today. The announcement follows an extensive and competitive global bidding process begun earlier in the year that included expressions of interest from numerous major international cities.

schorsch
Jul 9th, 2007, 11:18 PM
i'm against it really. i wouldnt know why to hold a prestigious event like this one in turkey. -_- i dont know, but other than this tier III tourna they had turkey means nothing in the tennis world.

schorsch
Jul 9th, 2007, 11:19 PM
also i doubt they can put such a big event together and hold it appropriately. media-wise it's dumb, too.

Thanx4nothin
Jul 9th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I think really...they should try and bring it to the UK eventually, there are so many tennis fans in the UK, when you look at the crowds at wimbledon and fed cup ties here, it would be a good idea....

SV_Fan
Jul 9th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Will it be on clay???? that's what Im worried about.

sammy01
Jul 9th, 2007, 11:48 PM
i think that it needs to go all over to promote tennis like i would like to see it in sebia before jj and ana are done as they have brought tennis to serbia and you need to capitalise on this by converting the jj and ana fans into tennis fans that will watch tourns and follow results that dont include them to and will want to watch tennis when ana and jj are retired!!

mckyle.
Jul 9th, 2007, 11:48 PM

I'm pretty sure V&S won't be around for the YEC in Istanbul :p

There will be an entirely different group by then.

It's actually kinda sad to think about :sad: :awww:

sammy01
Jul 9th, 2007, 11:51 PM

i would agree except i read in my paper today venus has designs on london 2012 olympics and wants to play 2 more olympics!

raquel
Jul 9th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I think really...they should try and bring it to the UK eventually, there are so many tennis fans in the UK, when you look at the crowds at wimbledon and fed cup ties here, it would be a good idea....London will host the ATP Masters Cup from 2009, so I think it's unlikely the WTA Championships would come to the UK as well.

sammy01
Jul 9th, 2007, 11:55 PM
London will host the ATP Masters Cup from 2009, so I think it's unlikely the WTA Championships would come to the UK as well.

the reason the tennis masters cup is coming to the uk is because they hope that by 2009 murray will be there and it will again do what i posted earlier convert murray fans into tennis fans!

Thanx4nothin
Jul 9th, 2007, 11:56 PM

Oh so that's why Vee starts training for the 2012 Olympics tommorrow and thinks she will be winning slams until she is 34? ;)

soul
Jul 10th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Why are you so against for İstanbul I really dont understand.There are a lot of tennis supporters in Turkey and İstanbul has had many many important organisations that u havent heard up to know.It is very clear that. How can you all be sure of all yor claims;you are totally dont have enough information. All I can say for just now it wont be on clay ,a new stadium will be constructed.

Do not have a prejudice against İstanbul please,give a chance

Sam L
Jul 10th, 2007, 08:46 AM
It's at least better than Doha. At least it's not bought with oil money.

mankind
Jul 10th, 2007, 08:47 AM

No. YEC must always be played on a neutral surface.

schorsch
Jul 10th, 2007, 11:13 AM
but last one's yec was mighty fast ! :) i liked the surface actually.

ok sammy :) makes sense in a way.

jonny84
Jul 10th, 2007, 02:12 PM
It must be indoor-hard surely as before and like all the other YECs.

Must admit it is a random place to put a tennis tournament, but I'm sure the tour approved them with good reasons. Even more randomly Mexico also put in a bid to host the YEC, and that isnt really a tennis nation either.

penguinbw22
Jul 10th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Here's an idea: How about giving the YEC to the hoem country of the defending champ? IT would be a little short notice, but it would be nice for the fans of that particular player.

Of course, there is always the chance of that player not gettign in the next year, but to me, it's a chance worht taking.

Chunchun
Jul 10th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Great we'll have them dressed in Middle East costumes from 08 - 13 :lol:

Thanx4nothin
Jul 10th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Here's an idea: How about giving the YEC to the hoem country of the defending champ? IT would be a little short notice, but it would be nice for the fans of that particular player.

Of course, there is always the chance of that player not gettign in the next year, but to me, it's a chance worht taking.

Good idea but soooo many reasons why it wouldn't work.

soul
Jul 10th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Great we'll have them dressed in Middle East costumes from 08 - 13 :lol:
Im from Turkey and I dont wear Middle East costumes;this is realy unfair.If you do not know anything about any subject do not make any comments.

you have got too many prejudice