PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon Girls Final

the cat
Jul 7th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Maria Sharapova and Vera Douchevina are tied at 1 set all. Maria won the first set 6-4. Vera steamrolled Masha 6-1 in the second set.

And the bad news for Maria is she has 8 double faults through 2 sets. And Vera only has one. I sure hope Maria doesn't have a DF problem the way Anna Kournikova and Elena Dementieva do! :eek:

Nina_rus
Jul 7th, 2002, 05:19 PM
Vera won :) :bounce:

the cat
Jul 7th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Vera Douchevina d.Maria Sharapova 4-6 6-1 6-2. Congrats to Vera! :bounce: And congrats to Maria, too! :bounce:

It was a great tournament for the Russian junior girls! :D

fresh2flash
Jul 7th, 2002, 07:21 PM
I like both girls. So I`d be happy with any result.
Well done Vera :)
Well done Masha :)

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 7th, 2002, 10:44 PM
It was indeed great :) Vera was too nervous at the beginning but once she relaxed her shots began to take effect :)

In the girls’ final, Douchevina also had to dig deep after a nervous start saw her go 0-3 down to Sharapova. With the Florida based Sharapova piling on the pressure from the baseline Douchevina struggled to hold serve, though she twice retrieved a break of serve only to falter once more at 4-5. "I played her last week and I played very well and won quickly, so I expected the same today," admitted Douchevina. "She played much, much better this time and that surprised me a little. Then in the second set I was calmer and played much better myself."

Douchevina began to settle at the start of the second set and her superior court sense paid handsome dividends as she set about picking the Sharapova game apart. Douchevina raced through the second set and by the time Sharapova had received a long medical time out for an injured thigh, Douchevina looked in firm control. An early break in the third set saw Sharapova’s confidence wane and she looked increasingly frustrated

Wimbledon site has nothing on Vera's win :mad:
they got reports on Boys final and girls doubles

the cat
Jul 7th, 2002, 11:45 PM
Eggy, the Wimbledon web site is a joke. They royally screwed the girls final! :mad: And that the girls final between 2 beautiful girls was on court 3, i nstead of court 2 or court 1 was a joke. But it's not funny! :fiery:

And why is it asking so much to see a photo of Maria?

Or interview transcripts? The U.S. Open does interview transcripts for the junior winner.

I think it's time that Sport - Express interviews Vera. She desreves it! :bounce:

Cassius
Jul 8th, 2002, 01:44 AM
Or interview transcripts? The U.S. Open does interview transcripts for the junior winner.
Yeah, I've read the interview from Lina K after her '99 triumph, so I don't see why Wimbledon should be any different:confused:.
Actually, the French Open was like this for the women's comp. aswell wasn't it? So..........Wimbledon and the French are the two slams without equal prize money, so obviously they view the women's comp. as some sort of secondry event.
It show my country in a bad light.

Anyway................CONGRATS VERA!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

cyclone7
Jul 8th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Aga, Lion-Moskva, vot ya gde tebja nashel! :))))

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 8th, 2002, 01:32 PM
http://www.wimbledon.org/images/pics/large/bv003_14.jpg

http://www.wimbledon.org/images/pics/large/bv004_14.jpg

ys
Jul 18th, 2004, 04:05 AM
Unbelievable.. Where is the champion.. Where is the runnerup...