PDA

View Full Version : Serena's ranking after Wimbledon?

martina83
Jul 6th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Does anyone know what her ranking will be after Wimbledon? Will she move up or stay at #7? You would think that she would move up b/c she didnt play it last year. And how many points does she have to defend until the US Open? I just want her to be a top 4 seed for the OPen!! IS that possible?

venusdemilo
Jul 6th, 2007, 11:24 PM
I think she stays put at #7, thats what I read in some post or other. Wish she could have moved up, but oh well.

Sir Stefwhit
Jul 7th, 2007, 03:43 AM
And how many points does she have to defend until the US Open? I just want her to be a top 4 seed for the OPen!! IS that possible?

Cincinatti= Semi-finals 46Pts
Los Angeles= Semi-finals 39 pts
US Open= Rd. 16 40pts

That's the info I pulled from the Sony Tour Page. The points seem a little strange to me. Cincinatti is a tier 3 and she got more points there than Los Angeles, which is a Tier 2? Although I think quality points were used back then (where you get bonus points for beating higher ranked players). If those point totals are correct it will be super easy for Serena to add on to her point total. Because she's ranked higher she wont have to play the first rounds at Cincinatti and Los Angeles. She's also on record saying she plans to play Stanford. So in addition to having to play less and one extra tournament, she'll also get more points at the US Open. They've increased the points at the slams so even if she just reaches the same round, she'll get more points from it. Not to mention that she'll likely qualify for the YECs and get those extra points.

Up, up, and away goes her ranking this summer!!

PatrickRyan
Jul 7th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Actually Serena is ranked 8 this week, she'll move back up to number 7

Here's all the rankings for next week
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=236674

martina83
Jul 7th, 2007, 03:33 PM
is there any way she can be number 4 seed for Us Open so she doesnt have to play henin in the quarters again?:lol:

b_o_r
Jul 7th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Points to be defended this summer:

55 (Cincy)
88 (JP Morgan Chase)
96 (US Open)
---------------------------------------------
That is 239 points. She can practically defend all of her points with a Tier I title. The question is how much will she play :help:

tojja
Jul 7th, 2007, 07:06 PM
is there any way she can be number 4 seed for Us Open so she doesnt have to play henin in the quarters again?:lol:

:lol: :hatoff:

Sir Stefwhit
Jul 8th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Points to be defended this summer:

55 (Cincy)
88 (JP Morgan Chase)
96 (US Open)
---------------------------------------------
That is 239 points. She can practically defend all of her points with a Tier I title. The question is how much will she play :help:

Thanks. I thought the other point totals seemed a little off. 239pts isn't much but if she kept her same schedule she wouldn't be playing any tier ones. She's added Stanford this time around, is that a Tier 1 or Tier 2, that one event is her best chance to add more points. Cincy and Los Angeles (Herbalife now-not JP Morgan) were both SFs so there isnt all that much room to improve. After the US Open is when I think her ranking will take her into the top 5.

What about the players currently ranked above her, any idea what they have to defend.

Justine- The bulk of her points come from her making the finals at the US Open and her YEC win. I think she won a hardcourt event too (think she beat Lindsay, not sure). She'll likely repeat that, but lose points at the US Open and YEC. She still could gain points she's likely to lose by playing more. Last year after Wimbledon she only played 3 events the rest of the year.

Sharapova- Biggest points from winning Acura, her SFs at the YECs, and of course her US Open win. She'll lose points from the US Open and maybe YECs, but she'll probably keep pace with how she did over the summer and indoor season. She'll definitely be going down.

Jankovic- The only thing that comes to mind is her SFs points from the US Open. She's in good position to add points too though. In addition to the summer hardcourts, where I don't think she has much to defend, she'll also get points from playing in the YECs- since she didn't qualify last year. Her point totals will likely rise, even if she doesn't make the Open semis.

Mauresmo- First thing that comes to mind are her SF points at the US Open. I also think she was a finalist at a summer hardcourt event (might be indoor, not sure), and then her points from being in the finals of the YECs. She probably wont even qualify for the Championships this year. So she's someone ranked ahead of Serena definitely wont be after the Open.

Kuznetsova- I don't remember her doing anything the rest of last year. I don't believe she's got too many points to defend this time of the year either (not 100% sure though).

Ivanovic- It would seem like she's got a lot of points to defend being last years US Open Series winner, but since she lost to Serena at the US Open in the rd. of 16 it kind of balances out in her favor. She played three events before the US Open, winning one and doing ok at the other two. She'll lose points not defending her Tier 1, but she'll gain points going further in the other two events- assumming she's playing them again this year. She didn't do that great in the indoor season and she didn't make the YEC's so she'll go up in points.

It's a tight race at the top. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out at the end of the year. I hope Serena considers playing during the fall. I can't remember the last time she played two events in the fall. I want a top 3 finsih for 2007, I think she'll definitely be top 5, but again, I want top 3.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 8th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Ana lost to Serena in the 32s. She lost to Amelie in the 16s. So Ana will probably lose points from the summer, but gain USO points for SURE.

I think Serena can finish top 3, but #1 would need some help from Justine for SURE :unsure:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 8th, 2007, 01:37 AM
I think that if she has a good summer (winning LA, Cincy, Stanford/San Diego) she could get up to #4 possibly, but I doubt that she'll be playing all of those tourneys

b_o_r
Jul 8th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Henin
New Haven 195
Us Open 492
Madrid 525
----------------
=1212pts

Sharapova
Us Open 700
Zurich 300
San Diego 300
Madrid 235
Linz 195
Los Angeles 88
Moscow 75
-------------------
=1893

Jankovic
US Open 314
Los Angeles 137
------------------
=451pts

Kuznetsova
Beijing 195
Bali 145
Zurich 135
Madrid 130
Stuggart 99
US Open 96
New Haven 88
---------------
= 888pts

Mauresmo
Madrid 396
Us Open 314
Bejing 137
Zurich 75
Moscow 75
New Haven 49
----------------
=1046

Ivanovic
Montreal 300
Us Open 62
Los Angeles 49
San diego 42
-----------------
=453

Dammmmmmmmnnn Maria has a lot of points to defend. I thought Jelena and Ana had more points to defend.
Anyway, I just want Serena to find some consistency/balance in her game. To me 2001 was probably the best year Serena had on tour because it produced 2002. Serena was all over the place in 2000 like she is currently, but in late 2001 Serena began to focus on her fitness and she streamlined her game to what she does best--Serve accurate, hit through your shots, and defend like hell. Right now, she is stuck in serve big, place shots (that topspin is driving me nuts), and only defend when the ball is near. :lol:

Sir Stefwhit
Jul 8th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Henin
New Haven 195
Us Open 492
Madrid 525
----------------
=1212pts

Sharapova
Us Open 700
Zurich 300
San Diego 300
Madrid 235
Linz 195
Los Angeles 88
Moscow 75
-------------------
=1893

Jankovic
US Open 314
Los Angeles 137
------------------
=451pts

Kuznetsova
Beijing 195
Bali 145
Zurich 135
Madrid 130
Stuggart 99
US Open 96
New Haven 88
---------------
= 888pts

Mauresmo
Madrid 396
Us Open 314
Bejing 137
Zurich 75
Moscow 75
New Haven 49
----------------
=1046

Ivanovic
Montreal 300
Us Open 62
Los Angeles 49
San diego 42
-----------------
=453
Seeing the points really put things into perspective. With Serena only having to defend a mere 239pts and the girls above her having so much more to defend it's up, up, and away.

Dammmmmmmmnnn Maria has a lot of points to defend. I thought Jelena and Ana had more points to defend. Anyway, I just want Serena to find some consistency/balance in her game. To me 2001 was probably the best year Serena had on tour because it produced 2002. Serena was all over the place in 2000 like she is currently, but in late 2001 Serena began to focus on her fitness and she streamlined her game to what she does best--Serve accurate, hit through your shots, and defend like hell. Right now, she is stuck in serve big, place shots (that topspin is driving me nuts), and only defend when the ball is near. :lol:
All in all, she's been pretty consistent this year, making the QFs or better at every tournament except one. It's a mix of good and bad, I think you're right she's employing more topspin than ever before. But she's also using her angles better and she's also making less unforced errors. The aggressive, attacking game will always be there and she seems to be getting quicker. Maybe she's using this year to set herself up for next year. If she stays healthy I expect more great results, especially on the hardcourts, where she's the hardest to beat.