PDA

View Full Version : will Bartoli kill the Women Tennis today?

matthias
Jul 6th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Bartoli in SF was horrible enough
but a wimbledon Finalist?

good Night and good luck WTA-Tour!

SunriseSunset
Jul 6th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Why?

Seriously, what do people have against Bartoli? Is it because she doesn't look like the typcial player

matthias
Jul 6th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Why?

Seriously, what do people have against Bartoli? Is it because she doesn't look like the typcial player

I have nothing against her
but is this what you expect when you watch tennis?

ivanban
Jul 6th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Why?

She doesn't look like she is in sport generally :lol:

Natalicious
Jul 6th, 2007, 06:57 PM
If she makes the final, she'd have earned it so shut the fuck up. :rolleyes:

:worship:

Pdm1987
What do you mean? 'Is this what you expect?' It's an exciting match and just because Bartoli isn't a top player doesn't mean she can't play in a grand slam final (should she win today) :rolleyes:

AJZ.
She's playing amazing right now, of course she deserves it! Maybe she's not who is expected, but did we expect Ivanovic? Did we expect other people to get there who were unknown at the time? :shrug: Allez Marion.

KBdoubleu
shes playing extremely well...she deserves it if she gets there. nothing is sure against Henin though

TS
If anything it will inspire other lower ranked players to lift their game.

Jasmin
Jul 6th, 2007, 06:58 PM
The girl is earning it. I think Venus stands more chance against Henin than Bartoli.

SunriseSunset
Jul 6th, 2007, 06:59 PM

:lol: ...not.

Easy to pick on people who look to be a little overweight:rolleyes: . Yet, move better than others who are so called good athletes.:lol:

SeaUrchin
She played well today, will play horrible in the final and will be massacred by Venus badly and we'll all say "what a horrible final that was".

matthias
If she makes the final, she'd have earned it so shut the fuck up. :rolleyes:

YES, but then we finally know how weak women tennis is

among the blind, the one-eyed is the king (Queen)

long live Queen Marion!

Natalicious
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:01 PM
do you watch her match right now? because her groundstrokes are awesome, so please first think then make a thread..

SunriseSunset
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:02 PM
She played well today, will play horrible in the final and will be massacred by Venus badly and we'll all say "what a horrible final that was".

That's what people thought would happen today...hahahaha!:lol:

goldenlox
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Henin, not surprisingly, is a huge favorite to reach the finals as she pursues her first crown at the All England Club in suburban London. She is -4000 on the moneyline (http://www.bodog.com/sports-betting/tennis-wta.jsp) (meaning a winning wager of $4,000 would net a $100 profit). Should her opponent, No. 18 Marion Bartoli of France, pull the upset, her backers would earn a major payday. The 22-year-old is +900 (meaning a winning wager of $100 would net a $100 profit).

SharapovaFan16
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:03 PM
yea shes earned it so don't come in here with that crap. just because serena, maria, henin aren't in the final everytime doesn't mean it's bad. thats just literally stupid!

anon57
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Bartoli doesn't look like the fittest player on tour I know, but whoever thinks she doesn't deserve to be where she's gotten needs to sit down watch some of her matches this week, she been playing some great tennis.

floco
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:05 PM
You are so stupid....

Serenita
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:06 PM

shut up!!!!!!!!!! hater

LindsayRulz
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:06 PM
She plays very well. We could have a good match tomorrow!

ImaVeggie
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:12 PM

She beat Justine! Could you??!!

Flightspeed
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:13 PM
it will be good instead of bad for womens tennis, if Marion manages to play as well tomorrow as she did today

gocanadago
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:13 PM
She played awesome tennis during the second and third set, if she plays like this tommorow and for the rest of her career she can only get womens tennis more attractive ;)

DarkchildSwiss
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:15 PM
bartoli has just a creepy serve and is playing a ugly double handed forward. i hope that vee will destroy her 6-0 6-1 in 35 minutes. she deserves this title so much after all she has been through (her injuries). Go Venus and take the damn title please otherwise I will be very disappointed.

Serenita
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:21 PM
She played awesome tennis during the second and third set, if she plays like this tommorow and for the rest of her career she can only get womens tennis more attractive ;)
:wavey:

VSandhi
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Im still in shock! But credit to Bartoli she played great, i thought Henin will walk over her! But it shows that she cannot ignore the underdog and she deserve to be in the final! i think she may give Venus a fight though Venus a better mover than Justine! Lets hope for a good final and not a DRUBBING!

sonnys
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:24 PM
This is the most exciting match i have seen in 2007,:worship: ...All credit to bartoli,:drool: and i cant waite for the final tomorrow...Its great to see th doublehanded shots again..ALLEZ BARTOLI:lol: :D :worship:

sonnys
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:24 PM

:drool: :lol:

Barbapapa
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:25 PM
She played so good!

Congratulations Marion Bartoli!

Good luck for tomorrow :bounce: !!!!!

ClaudiaZ-S
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Marion was spectacular so... :scratch:

Haimar
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:27 PM
When I watch tennis, I want two players who play great tennis and challenge eachother, Bartoli is capable to play great tennis so why should this be the end of wta ?? Its great that finally someone else then Juju, Williams or Sharapova gets in the final

DarkchildSwiss
bartoli is already #11 and could move to #9. please venus prevent this.
venus is currently # 19 and could be #17 (only some points behind schnyder and dementieva)

AnnaK_4ever
I don't see how it could "kill" women tennis :shrug:

But Bartoli is the most strange, unexpected, shocking GS finalist over the last 25 years.

nhissan
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:28 PM

damn hater Marion earned her place in the final she beat Henin who was at 100% so stop your whinning right now

Zweli
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:34 PM

SHUT UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:devil:

Helen Lawson
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Didn't Jon Werheim use her as an example, when Serena won the AO this year, he's like, this isn't shocking, it's not like someone like Sybille Bammer or Marion Bartoli won.

sharapovarulz1
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Oh god get over yourself Marion damn well earned her place in that final and nothing can take that away from her! Go and win it now Bartoli!!!

alfonsojose
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:42 PM

Grass is for cows. Go Marion :yeah:

ToeTag
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:44 PM

What a drama queen. :rolleyes:

chris whiteside
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:45 PM
She got to the fnal on merit and on the day was a better player than the current world's #1.

It's a wonderful story and good for the game.

Just Do It
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:46 PM

But she deserves to be in the final ! :shrug:

Serval
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:55 PM

Absolute bollocks :o

She shows to young kids thinking about playing that you don't have to be 6 foot and super-thin to play, hard work will get you far :bounce:

BartoliBabes
Jul 6th, 2007, 08:02 PM
The person that made this thread along with whoever agrees with them should just be immediately deleted from this board by the moderator because there views on tennis aren't valid. In other words, they no shit!

Louis Cyphre
Jul 6th, 2007, 08:04 PM

why :shrug:
IMO this proof that WTA is place where you have no idea what will happens and its the charm of WTA ;)
Allez Marion :woohoo:

égalité
Jul 6th, 2007, 08:14 PM

The best thing about sports is that what you expect to happen doesn't always happen.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 6th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Naaaaah

Gasquet in semis of Wimbledon is more terrible for the ATP

Burrow
Jul 6th, 2007, 08:22 PM
what do you expect, if she wins matches whats the problem?

merda2004
Jul 6th, 2007, 08:26 PM

why not?it was about time to see someone else in the final. i hope we have a new champion tomorrow!!!

Ingokoer
Jul 6th, 2007, 08:33 PM

That is such a dumb and stupid comment!!! What do you want?

How boring would it be, if at each tournament the Top 8 seeds would be in the quarterfinals, the Top 4 in the semis and the Top 2 in the final? All other players ranked lower would refuse to enter big tournaments, give up and retire if they follow your comments.

What is your advice for lower ranked players to get better and climb up the ranking if not by beating the top players???? Todays Top Players like Sharapova, Henin etc. were also lower ranked when they began their careers and had to beat Top Players to get on the top.

Sorry I can't believe your stupid comment....

Dave.
Jul 6th, 2007, 08:34 PM
matthias is jealous, end of. Marion is great for the tour. One of the most likeable personalities and a fantastic game.

champGS1452
Jul 6th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I think it's great,someone shocking and new playing for the title.

aussie_fan
Jul 6th, 2007, 08:37 PM
she's earned her place here, if anything, it should say that if you work hard enough, anyone can make the final.

metamorpha
Jul 6th, 2007, 08:41 PM

This is very rare and shocking moment which happens once in a while, so we should treasure it :lol: :lol:

anlavalle
Jul 6th, 2007, 08:44 PM
:silly: a troll in here :o

A Magicman
Jul 6th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Richard Krajicek was right back then.

Nevertheless, Bartoli has beaten the enchanting Empress of Serbia and Justine Henin, that was not a cakewalk or something. She deserves where she is and I found myself cheering for her in the end of the 2nd set. She defeated the best player of all time today.

Good luck in the final against the shrieker.

MinnyGophers
Jul 6th, 2007, 08:49 PM
I dont know how a sport can be called exciting if everything people "expect" always happen... like the men's tour.
What is the point of watching then?

Tylane
Jul 6th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Marion doesn't have a beautiful tennis, it's not "academic", and maybe she won't make another final after; but well, I don't think venus or serena have a beautiful tennis neither, and davenport, the same... I mean, except Justine and Amelie, women tennis is not that good to see so, marion, why not...

missclaret
Jul 6th, 2007, 09:01 PM
well done to bartoli! she deserved to win, she played henin off the park! its nice to see different faces in the finals for a change instead of henin every time.

die_wahrheit
Jul 6th, 2007, 09:02 PM
At least, she is a woman.

Can't be said about all semi finalists.

Helen Lawson
Jul 6th, 2007, 09:05 PM
At least, she is a woman.

Can't be said about all semi finalists.

I LOVE it when someone calls a woman tennis player a man. Who do you mean this time? It can't be Ivanovic, she's clearly a little feminine specimen. I wouldn't call Justine a girlie-girl, and while a little flat and plain-faced, she doesn't look like a guy.

Past slam semifinalists, who do you mean?

Kart
Jul 6th, 2007, 09:14 PM
is this what you expect when you watch tennis?

Isn't that why we watch it ? :scratch:

marcianito
Jul 6th, 2007, 09:16 PM
why?? because she kicked Justine ass? If she won she totally deserved it.:)

jojoseph
Jul 6th, 2007, 09:16 PM
She's always been a great player, she has always just psyched herself out when it counts, imo. Good for her.

Serena-rules-no1
Jul 6th, 2007, 09:17 PM

it's been killed in a long time already

but yeah, fat Bartoli in Wimbledon final is the cherry on the cake

die_wahrheit
Jul 6th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I LOVE it when someone calls a woman tennis player a man. Who do you mean this time? It can't be Ivanovic, she's clearly a little feminine specimen. I wouldn't call Justine a girlie-girl, and while a little flat and plain-faced, she doesn't look like a guy.

Past slam semifinalists, who do you mean?

Imagine her with trousers, t-shirt and short hair.

Helen Lawson
Jul 6th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Imagine her with trousers, t-shirt and short hair.

Who? Ok, Justine could probably pull off being a geeky teen boy, but she'd have to work on it some.

I'm more into blatant calling a woman a man, that's the best.

Ellery
Jul 6th, 2007, 10:03 PM
:rolleyes: If Marion wins it she deserves it, period.

DarkchildSwiss
Jul 7th, 2007, 07:49 PM
it's been killed in a long time already

but yeah, fat Bartoli in Wimbledon final is the cherry on the cake

i totally agree. at least venus won so she prevented the worst to happen.

Alizé Molik
Jul 8th, 2007, 12:18 PM

the WTA tour has more to worry about from morons like you.

brayster87
Jul 8th, 2007, 01:10 PM
A great effort by Bartoli imo

Alizé Molik
Jul 8th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Naaaaah

Gasquet in semis of Wimbledon is more terrible for the ATP

one of the cleanest and most talent players in the mens game reaches a semifinal...that's bad...but a woman who serves a 40km first serve with slice reaching two grandslam finals is good?

sorry but sometimes some people's comments are just really strange..

cypher_88
Jul 8th, 2007, 01:35 PM
one of the cleanest and most talent players in the mens game reaches a semifinal...that's bad...but a woman who serves a 40km first serve with slice reaching two grandslam finals is good?

sorry but sometimes some people's comments are just really strange..

Bartoli...serves like crap; her groundstrokes work sometimes, but not very often; her aggresiveness is as strong as a cat lying in front of a buldog; power....well altough she looks "powerful", her strokes lack it;

i don't think we can EVEN compare her to that woman who reached 2 Slam finals. :rolleyes:

TKane
Jul 8th, 2007, 02:21 PM
We'll see about that ;)

Marion has already showed that she's good enough to kick WTA number 1 out of Grand Slam. If that means nothing for you haters, then you may go and try to do it yourself :D

Seriously, can you haters call yourself world's number 20 at what you are doing for a living? So shut up. Marion plays good. Marion is charming. Marion deserves what she had achieved, and she deserves even more!

Allez Marion!

SeaUrchin
Jul 8th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Last week noone cared about Bartoli, suddenly everyone is a fan. Next week everyone will forget again.

Julian
Jul 8th, 2007, 09:37 PM
so Marion isnt your typical "poster girl" image of the WTA tour..SO WHAT??

more cake to you Marion!!!

Infiniti2001
Jul 8th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Last week noone cared about Bartoli, suddenly everyone is a fan. Next week everyone will forget again.

Well in the defense of the U.S. bandwagoners , I don't think Marion has ever been seen on television . I can't speak for others, but I am impressed with what I saw from her. I'm just concerned that her fitness level will hamper her if she ever wants to make it to the very top...

TKane
Jul 9th, 2007, 03:50 PM

Absolutely right! :D Don't you remember, if all those sharapova fans had liked her since her birth somewhere in Siberia? Or maybe they had started to like her after she had won Wimbledon? ;)

So, why are you so upset? Anyway, I liked Marion before that Wimbly, and I won't change my mind even if she would not win a match in this year.

Of course, some people are bandwagon hoppers, but let them be. Marion has enough fans loyal to her regardless of her winning or losing.

mckyle.
Jul 9th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Well in the defense of the U.S. bandwagoners, I don't think Marion has ever been seen on television.

I had never seen Marion until the final, but once I did I liked her.

One thing I don't understand about some people on this board:

You're considered a fake fan if you've never seen a player play but you like them, but once you do see them play and you still like them, you're considered a bandwagoner :lol: It's kinda hypocritical :shrug:

volta
Jul 9th, 2007, 04:02 PM
if the same thing happened on the ATP everyone would say that it was cuz of depth on tour but since it's on WTA it's cuz the tour sucks and is about to die :rolleyes:

Super Dave
Jul 9th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Granted, I hadn't seen much of her before Saturday, but I liked what I saw, also. She seems to be very nice, and that goes a long way with whether I like a player or not - I can't just base it on their on-court play. I liked when she was doing the wave with the crowd. Congrats to her and her big jump to #11!

Petersmiler
Jul 9th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Marion played an awesome semi and gave Venus a run for her money in the first set of the final.

I think she made a better showing for herself than others in their first slam final!

ViennaCalling
Jul 9th, 2007, 10:46 PM
What a :weirdo: Thread! :rolleyes:

Well, Anke never reached Wimbledon Final. Are you bitter because of that?

Sleepwalker64
Jul 10th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Well, I wonder if u can give honest opinion, would u like her if she had won the Wimbledon?

sammy01
Jul 10th, 2007, 12:03 AM
i think you will find that the public at wimbledon took bartoli to heart and saw shes a trier and a fighter and these qualities will make her popular!

Sleepwalker64
Jul 10th, 2007, 12:40 AM
I have no problem with her look or game. I'm always for an underdog.
I think that people here are mostly hypocritical...they like her cause Venus won. I don't think that this would be the case if Bartoli won the final.

guyinsf
Jul 10th, 2007, 01:36 AM
TERRIBLY OFFENSIVE thread to someone who had worked so hard and played so well to reach the final of Wimbledon. Let me assume that you did not have the same concerns when Sharapova blitzed through everyone to win the Wimbledon tropy several years ago.....that's what I thought!

Bruno71
Jul 10th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Well in the defense of the U.S. bandwagoners , I don't think Marion has ever been seen on television . I can't speak for others, but I am impressed with what I saw from her. I'm just concerned that her fitness level will hamper her if she ever wants to make it to the very top...

First time I saw her was at Roland Garros (against Jankovic). Didn't think much of her game from that one match, but she was injured. If I'd seen her play Dementieva the round before I'm sure I would've seen her at her best. The next I saw of her was against Justine at Eastbourne, and she looked almost as bad there...yet all the matches in which she performed so well (beating Hantuchova, etc.) were not available to me...until Wimbledon.

She's proven her stuff, she's not killing anything.

Junex
Jul 10th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Henin, not surprisingly, is a huge favorite to reach the finals as she pursues her first crown at the All England Club in suburban London. She is -4000 on the moneyline (http://www.bodog.com/sports-betting/tennis-wta.jsp) (meaning a winning wager of $4,000 would net a $100 profit). Should her opponent, No. 18 Marion Bartoli of France, pull the upset, her backers would earn a major payday. The 22-year-old is +900 (meaning a winning wager of $100 would net a $100 profit).

Just a thought...maybe Carlos & Justine wagered a Million pound on Marion, Heck the devil they were, they walked away with more money than the Champion!!!!

:devil:

Seriously on the topic, Thank Peirce Brosnan..... :angel:

NeeemZ
Jul 10th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Like everyone else, I only saw Marion in the final and she played great in the first set. The main reason why I like her is the fact that she got along with the crowd during the final even when she was down in the second set. The fact that she could still enjoy being in the final e.g getting into the Mexican Wave and even laughing along with the crowd. I remember last year's QF match between Elena and Maria when the streaker ran onto the court, Maria turned away immediately trying to concentrate on the next point and Elena smiling with the crowd even though she was down 6-1 3-0.

It's good to see that there are players that still possess human abilities to enjoy their time on court even when they are losing. Can the same be said for Venus, Serena or Maria if they are losing?

cristyjones
Jul 12th, 2007, 09:47 AM
I don't think so. She deserve her place in the finals and no matter what, she was the better player when she played Justine in the semis. Even Justine admitted that, so...

mankind
Jul 12th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Nup. She's a good player who is unafraid to approach the net (unlike so many these days), has great timing and accuracy. Yes her serving is completely annoying and unnecessary, but I can think of plenty of other players who would be responsible for the death of women's tennis - not her.

frontier
Jul 12th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Bartoli was the story of wimbledon she utterly humiliated JJ and Justine especially jj because she underestimated her and was very direspectful to her,jj needed to be brought down to earth because she was floating somewhere in space.

DomenicDemaria
Jul 12th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I was thinking the same thing. But the more I thought about it I thought no its good to see new players playing for slams. Hopefully she can continue her good form.

Jakeev
Jul 12th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Ugh what a fucked up thread. Many players in the past have had great results without being so physically fit. Martina Navratilova ring a bell? How bout Lindsay Davenport?

Talent is getting Marion to a lot of places. Now if she wants to be a Grand Slam champion and dominate players than we all know what she needs to do.

But sheesh cut it out already about the girl.

DavenportForever
Jul 12th, 2007, 12:32 PM

this is how players make breakthroughs. they make finals and win tournaments. you wont expect a player to rise in the rankings or become great by losing early in tournaments. it is obviously bartoli's time to breakthrough and show her great tennis to the world. And there is nothing wrong with Bartoli being in the final of a grandslam.

trivfun
Jul 13th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Marion played an awesome semi and gave Venus a run for her money in the first set of the final.

I think she made a better showing for herself than others in their first slam final!

I thought she gave a run for the money in the second set. Venus was hurt and all the game were at least deuce or 40-30. It kind of reminds me of the Federer and Nadal in the 5th set. I just thought Venus played smart. Made her run and then attacked her body.