PDA

View Full Version : Why can't Sveta win the big matches?

saki
Jul 6th, 2007, 09:31 AM
At the US Open 2004, Sveta beat two top 10 players - Dementieva and Davenport.

Since then, she's beaten plenty of top 10 players in WTA tournaments: Petrova, Sharapova, Clijsters, Safina, Henin, Mauresmo, Hingis, Schnyder, Jankovic,

Her win at Miami included wins over Zvonareva (former top 10), Mauresmo, Sharapova, Hingis.. more top 10 players than you usually have to beat to win a Grand Slam!

But she's never beaten a top 10 player in a Grand Slam since the US Open final in 2004.

WTF?

Sam L
Jul 6th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Not good enough.

Dexter
Jul 6th, 2007, 10:04 AM
She is good enough, but she's a headcase as most of the Russians.

Bruno71
Jul 6th, 2007, 10:08 AM
The pattern usually is...she comes out strong and often takes the 1st set (though not necessarily...she lost a tight 7-5 one to Jankovic in the Rome final). But if the opponent is able to run her around a bit (as most of the top players can), she tires out and just completely goes off. This seems to be a more recent thing, too. Against Venus she just got overpowered, which is definitely a rarity for her.

Ballbasher
Jul 6th, 2007, 10:08 AM
I think the match with Justine RG 05 is always in her head ;)

goldenlox
Jul 6th, 2007, 10:10 AM
She wasn't good enough to beat Justine in the RG final last year.
She had an abdominal problem at RG this year and skipped Eastbourne.
If you saw her against Venus, she kept going backwards after hitting short balls. Not good grass strategy. And she wouldn't back up to return serve, like Dani vs Serena.
Her grass game is very inexperienced.
Plus serving at 3-3 in the 2nd set, she just gave the game away with 4 ue errors that were all awful.

But she's young works hard and is super talented. She'll be fine.

merda2004
Jul 6th, 2007, 10:12 AM
At the US Open 2004, Sveta beat two top 10 players - Dementieva and Davenport.

Since then, she's beaten plenty of top 10 players in WTA tournaments: Petrova, Sharapova, Clijsters, Safina, Henin, Mauresmo, Hingis, Schnyder, Jankovic,

Her win at Miami included wins over Zvonareva (former top 10), Mauresmo, Sharapova, Hingis.. more top 10 players than you usually have to beat to win a Grand Slam!

But she's never beaten a top 10 player in a Grand Slam since the US Open final in 2004.

WTF?

look at daniilidou!!!she has beaten seles,mauresmo, henin!!! they must try harder and harder and be more consistent

PamShriverRockz
Jul 6th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Sveta IS good enough. She just seems to lack the confidence and/or adopt the right tactics in the slams. She's a fantastic doubles player for example, but seems to lack confidence to come into the net.

She's still really young though. And with a GS under her belt already I think she can do it.

pigam
Jul 6th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Sveta really has it all, except for the right shot at the right time, it seems.
She has all the strokes, but hits a FH in the net, when al she had to do is push her BH over the net, or something similar.
If she finds "something", i don't know what, some kind of inner peace? and she gets "on a roll", she will win a lot of GS's imo. Her serve, second serve, FH, variety, speed and even netgame are all good or outstanding. I do believe she could still get a little fitter tho.

Hashim.
Jul 6th, 2007, 10:37 AM
that will remian a question mark..
but i hope she starts doing what she is capable of..

Tennisaddict
Jul 6th, 2007, 10:44 AM
I think they overlook the mental part of the game too much when they treain the young girls in Russia.
So far the only Russian who is quite strong mentally is Sharapova and where did she have her training?
At the Bollitieri academy. Dementieva said something about this a while ago.

saki
Jul 6th, 2007, 10:58 AM
I think they overlook the mental part of the game too much when they treain the young girls in Russia.
So far the only Russian who is quite strong mentally is Sharapova and where did she have her training?
At the Bollitieri academy. Dementieva said something about this a while ago.

The weird thing is that Sveta has had great coaching. Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario is her friend and mentor and, yet, somehow one of the tours biggest over-achievers (and I love Aranxta and see this as a compliment not an insult) is unable to get Sveta to fulfil her potential.

Tennisaddict
Jul 6th, 2007, 11:04 AM
The weird thing is that Sveta has had great coaching. Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario is her friend and mentor and, yet, somehow one of the tours biggest over-achievers (and I love Aranxta and see this as a compliment not an insult) is unable to get Sveta to fulfil her potential.

Yep, but didn´t Sveta go to the Sanchez en Casal academy when she was like 14 years old?
Her mentality could have been formed before that. Maybe it´s just a fase she has to go trough because she knows she´s good enough to beat most top players. I mean Serena and Justine used to be mentally weak as well and look at them now.

mankind
Jul 6th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Sveta gets too angry at herself.

mankind
Jul 6th, 2007, 12:34 PM
When she got angry in that match against Paszek in which she was cruising, that was just ridiculous and unnecessary. Up a set and a break, misses one shot and she whacks herself in the thigh (really really hard) with her racquet. Even though it didn't really effect her game that much (she served out the match the next game, serve and volleying each point I might add :rolls:) , it' just little things like that that show some weakness in her mentally. Perfectionist maybe.. But I agree she needs to be a little fitter.

cellophane
Jul 6th, 2007, 12:34 PM
I don't think she is consistently good enough, although I was impressed by her game yesterday. Yesterday, Venus was better.

Chrisi
Jul 6th, 2007, 12:44 PM
The old problem...

But yesterday Venus was definitely better. But I think neverthless that she can beat everyone at every tournament :rolleyes: