PDA

View Full Version : Define "Choke" in WTA...

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Choke

Meaning: To fail to perform effectively because of nervous agitation or tension, especially in an athletic contest

Prime Example:
Nicole Vaidisova was one point from winning her Wimbledon QF match against Ana Ivanovic at 5-3 (15-40) in the 3rd set before she CHOKE and lost the match 4-6, 6-2, 7-5

:help: :help: :help:

Just how in the world that happened, only God knows.... :tape:

SharapovaFan16
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:14 PM
yea she choked big time. vaidisova is a poor man's sharapova. a very very poor man's.

Natalicious
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:15 PM
amelie wasted 3sp's against vaidisova in the 1st set :wavey:
choke ;)

mboyle
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:16 PM
yea she choked big time. vaidisova is a poor man's sharapova. a very very poor man's.

Technically, I think Nicole is a better player. Maria's mind is unmatchable, however. Nicole would never get blown off court love and love, but she also would never hold her nerve serving for a grand slam title against Serena Williams or Justine Henin.

Jasmin
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:17 PM
It's always been hard for me to say any athlete choked even when I don't like them.

Demska
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I hate to say this but ;

Myskina was 57 75 51 up at Olympics 2004 and lost 75 57 86.

Choke.

Viktymise
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Dementieva in every one of her slam losses in 2005 :o

supergrunt
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Yeah poor Nicole :sad:

:spit:

Lunaris
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:24 PM
It's womens tennis. Everyone chokes, even Justine was choking yesterday. When a player is serving for the set or the match, she is under big pressure while her opponent has nothing to lose at that time and very often plays better than before. In womens tennis serve is not such a big factor (unless you are a Williams) so it's only natural that women choke more often than men. I do not think it's such a big deal as some posters tend to make out of it, however disappointing it is when it happens.

Slutiana
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Technically, I think Nicole is a better player. Maria's mind is unmatchable, however. Nicole would never get blown off court love and love, but she also would never hold her nerve serving for a grand slam title against Serena Williams or Justine Henin.

noo maria's better by FAR thats what seperates the good from the great players (i can't believe i basically just called maria great:eek:) When sharapova's playing down, she can still find a way to win..yes a lot of its mental but when she plays bad she can still manage to keep a ball in play long enough for her opponent to make the mistake...nicole can't do that e.g zurich 06 vs tati:tape::help:

Demska
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Yeah poor Nicole :sad:

:spit:

64 36 63

supergrunt
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:34 PM
64 36 63

And thats with one leg and one arm. :rolls: And that's why I don't care! :wazzup:

Poova
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Jana Novotna. :sad:

bellascarlett
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:44 PM
:lol:

perfect example.

Damn, I wish we had a smiley that has its hands tightly holding its neck. :lol:...

noo maria's better by FAR thats what seperates the good from the great players (i can't believe i basically just called maria great:eek:)

:lol:

Everyone knows Maria's a great player anyway. :p :angel: And everytime a young girl chokes on the big stage, the more you have to be amazed at what Maria has accomplished in her career so far. It takes nerves of steel.

supergrunt
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Maria is better.

tennisfan2480
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Yeah, based on 5-3 (40-15), and 3 MPs AND her confused, upset, angry, anxious facial/verbal outbursts ... definitely Vaidisova 'choking' today.

Viktymise
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:51 PM
64 36 63

That wasn't as choke :scratch:

Craigy
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:53 PM
And thats with one leg and one arm. :rolls: And that's why I don't care! :wazzup:

Really, well you can't seem to let it go.
Do yourself a favour and shut the fuck up.

jujufreak
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I wouldn't call every player who gets her serve broken while serving for the match a choker. When she hits four unforced errors okay, but it's not impossible that she plays a good game, but her opponent just finds an answer to every shot and deserves to win that game.

canoe.
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:12 PM
It's womens tennis. Everyone chokes, even Justine was choking yesterday. When a player is serving for the set or the match, she is under big pressure while her opponent has nothing to lose at that time and very often plays better than before. In womens tennis serve is not such a big factor (unless you are a Williams) so it's only natural that women choke more often than men. I do not think it's such a big deal as some posters tend to make out of it, however disappointing it is when it happens.

I don't know if the players on the WTA "choke" more often then the players on the atp. I think part of it is that ppl scream "choke" every two minutes if the match involves two female players. However, I do think the conditions that the wta players are given are conducive to choking. B/3, which means you have to hit the ground running, and the player has no room for error, and add constant rain delays to that . I would much rather play B/5,on grass, especially in the later rounds.

Freakan
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:12 PM
It was too close to be called a choke.
Kurhajcova was leading in match against Raymond 6:0 5:0 (and probably 40:15) and managed to lose - that's a choke! :p

jujufreak
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Federer served for the set against Ferrero and hit 4 unforced errors in a row, so even he's a choker from time to time :p

nhissan
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I hate to say this but ;

Choke.

:eek:
I forgot this :tape:

LudwigDvorak
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Federer served for the set against Ferrero and hit 4 unforced errors in a row, so even he's a choker from time to time :p

And it didn't help Ferrero started dominating and dictacting almost every point from 2-5 to 5-5.

See how these arguments are so cyclical? I see Ferrero raising his game, you see Federer hitting errors.

Yasmine
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:02 PM
choke = have a clear lead and chances to wrap a set or a match and lose the match in the end.

Amélie against Nicole, in the first set.
And Nicole today with MP.
Kim against Serena, MP at 5-2 final set, AO 2003SF

wtatennisballer
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:09 PM
A choke in the wta is when the finish line is near and you proceed to beat yourself.
If you're close to the finish line but lose because your opponent raises the level of her game, then you haven't choked, you've just been beaten.

heytennis
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I hate to say this but ;

Choke.

I wish Myskina has won that but was it really a choke?

I'm just wondering because Henin does that to so many opponents. She lets them take huge leads and then wakes up and wins in the end. I didn't see the match or anything though so I'm genuinely asking: was it a choke by Myskina or just Henin fighting?

Derek.
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:51 PM
People call every lead lost a choke. :o

But it was obvious that today was indeed a choke from Nicole. :tape:

Derek.
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:52 PM
choke = have a clear lead and chances to wrap a set or a match and lose the match in the end.

Amélie against Nicole, in the first set.
And Nicole today with MP.
Kim against Serena, MP at 5-2 final set, AO 2003SF

Vaidisova/Mauresmo from Moscow too? :p

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:58 PM
64 36 63 what does Serena have to do with Vaidisova's loss? :shrug:

Demska
Jul 6th, 2007, 12:00 AM
I wish Myskina has won that but was it really a choke?

I'm just wondering because Henin does that to so many opponents. She lets them take huge leads and then wakes up and wins in the end. I didn't see the match or anything though so I'm genuinely asking: was it a choke by Myskina or just Henin fighting?

I watched the match (as hard as it is to watch) and it was both really. Nastya played well up to 51, then just started playing defensivly, not going for it like she did when she was leading. But justine did get alot more balls in court.

Demska
Jul 6th, 2007, 12:01 AM
what does Serena have to do with Vaidisova's loss? :shrug:

Geez, don't take it so seriously. I did it to annoy supertard.

heytennis
Jul 6th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I watched the match (as hard as it is to watch) and it was both really. Nastya played well up to 51, then just started playing defensivly, not going for it like she did when she was leading. But justine did get alot more balls in court.

I wish Myskina had at least been able to get the bronze.:(

Demska
Jul 6th, 2007, 12:05 AM
I wish Myskina had at least been able to get the bronze.:(

Me too, but to come out and play a match when you should be in the final for a broze medal and 4th place, i didn't surprise me she lost in straight sets to Molik.

ASP0315
Jul 6th, 2007, 12:05 AM
ChokoMomo choked in the first set against vaidisova by blowing three sp's.
Now it is vaidisova's turns to choke and she did it by blowing three mp's and making terrible UE's while serving for the match. :lol:

master40
Jul 6th, 2007, 01:39 AM
I think that Justine's performance against Serena in Miami should be put as an example in the dictionnary besides the word CHOKE.

Dave.
Jul 6th, 2007, 01:46 AM
No today was not a choke from Nicole. Ana saved the first two match points. The only evidence of choking was the third match point when Nicole dumped an easy forehand return into the net. But Ana is such a huge competitor and hard to put away. Nicole didn't choke; Ana came back very well.

Kevin.
Jul 6th, 2007, 02:58 AM
That Raymond match at FO 06 05 0-30 down and wins it!

Lubmoira thats a choke!

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 6th, 2007, 03:43 AM
Choke

1. Not able to close matches out
2. Many Unforced errors under pressure
3. Allow your opponents to dictate points
4. Timid groundstrokes and serves (volleys are very brave..a person choking usually wont try a volley)

Thats what I think a person does when they "choke".

mankind
Jul 6th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Choke = everything in tennis.

FORZA SARITA
Jul 6th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Schiavone against Henin last year :lol:
she was up omething like 64 52 and lost 46 57 57 :tape:
or the match against Peer(?) in last US Open when she was up 5-1 and had something like 4-5 MP's but lost :weirdo:

Sexysova
Jul 6th, 2007, 08:57 AM
I think all players choke sometimes :)

Nicole choked yesterday against Ana at Wimbledon...

Justine choked against Serena at Miami...

tennisbear7
Jul 6th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Patty/Sharapova RG 2007.

mboyle
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Justine probably just pulled off the single biggest choke in the open era...maybe in history.

mboyle
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Patty/Sharapova RG 2007.

She didn't have a big enough lead to choke. Maria played unbelievably well match point down.

Adal
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Justine probably just pulled off the single biggest choke in the open era...maybe in history.

Justine didn't even have a lead by one game in the second set.