PDA

View Full Version : Crossroads Tourney for Rena and Ju

Onyxangel
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Once the smoke clears, if Ju can win this tourney, the current path of women's tennis will reach an interesting crossroads...

Up until now, Ju has been considered a great current player, but seldom considered one of the all time greats. With a career GS under her belt, and likely at least a couple more FO's, that image will change. This brings up a few interesting scenarios...

1.)Rena finally gets herself back to her old form and wheels off 7 or 8 more slams before she's through in 4 or 5 years. Even though she would still fall well short of Steffi's record, The fact that Steffi would never have had anyone of Ju's calibre in her day to compete with would certainly give Ree a legitimate place at the table for the discussion of GOAT... People are judged by their competition, and Ju getting this slam would significantly increase her standing and make the level of Rena's competition more impressive than Steffi "Larry Holmes" Graf... (JK Steffi was great and it wasn't her fault Monica got stabbed. In the absense of her, she went out and won an unbelievable number of slams, which is exactly what a legendary player would do in that circumstance, a very legitimate GOAT).

2.)Justine continues to improve (shudder) as she has been the last couple years and overtakes Serena as this generation's most dominant female tennis player and quite possibly puts herself in the aforemetioned conversation of GOAT... Think about it... this would be 6 straight slam finals. If she starts winning more than she loses, she could put up some scary totals over the next 4 or 5 years.

3.) Ju continues to improve and Rena gets back to form, essentially splitting all the slams between them and giving us a "Golden Era" of women's tennis where we could quite possibly be witnessing the greatest rivalry the sport has ever seen.

I hope Ju wins...

Sam L
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:23 PM
The fact that Steffi would never have had anyone of Ju's calibre in her day to compete with would certainly give Ree a legitimate place at the table for the discussion of GOAT...

She did. But she got stabbed. :mad:

Ju continues to improve and Rena gets back to form, essentially splitting all the slams between them and giving us a "Golden Era" of women's tennis where we could quite possibly be witnessing the greatest rivalry the sport has ever seen..

You mean like "The Golden Age" rivalry between Elizabeth I and Mary, Queen of Scots? Awesome!!

DA FOREHAND
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Once the smoke clears, if Ju can win this tourney, the current path of women's tennis will reach an interesting crossroads...

Up until now, Ju has been considered a great current player, but seldom considered one of the all time greats. With a career GS under her belt, and likely at least a couple more FO's, that image will change. This brings up a few interesting scenarios...

1.)Rena finally gets herself back to her old form and wheels off 7 or 8 more slams before she's through in 4 or 5 years. Even though she would still fall well short of Steffi's record, The fact that Steffi would never have had anyone of Ju's calibre in her day to compete with would certainly give Ree a legitimate place at the table for the discussion of GOAT... People are judged by their competition, and Ju getting this slam would significantly increase her standing and make the level of Rena's competition more impressive than Steffi "Larry Holmes" Graf... (JK Steffi was great and it wasn't her fault Monica got stabbed. In the absense of her, she went out and won an unbelievable number of slams, which is exactly what a legendary player would do in that circumstance, a very legitimate GOAT).

2.)Justine continues to improve (shudder) as she has been the last couple years and overtakes Serena as this generation's most dominant female tennis player and quite possibly puts herself in the aforemetioned conversation of GOAT... Think about it... this would be 6 straight slam finals. If she starts winning more than she loses, she could put up some scary totals over the next 4 or 5 years.

3.) Ju continues to improve and Rena gets back to form, essentially splitting all the slams between them and giving us a "Golden Era" of women's tennis where we could quite possibly be witnessing the greatest rivalry the sport has ever seen.

I hope Ju wins...

Please, if Serena had a slice backhand half as good as Steffi's she would have won that match. Steffi would wear Justine's little ass out on the grass.

bandabou
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Could be interesting indeed. Let's see how much pride Serena has...because the days of just tuning in without being totally fit and healthy and still win are OVER. SO...what you gonna do?

tennisbear7
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:27 PM
She did. But she got stabbed. :mad:

You mean like "The Golden Age" rivalry between Elizabeth I and Mary, Queen of Scots? Awesome!!

:haha: @ Golden Age remark.

I don't think anyone will dominate like Steffi ever again. The game has evolved. Too many players are able to bounce top players out of the big tournies.

Onyxangel
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:47 PM
You guys need to watch other sports then...

Undoubtedly, some people will always think that Steffi is the greatest until someone breaks her record... but in the court of general public opinion, pure numbers seldom deterimine the GOAT... otherwise nobody would ever touch Wilt Chamberlain. Competition counts for a lot... that's why Ali is widely considered the best, and Jordan too...

goldenlox
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Serena has pride. That's not the problem. Justine has a more complete game, and she's not wilting when Serena does her yelling and fistpumping.
Serena is going to have to outplay Justine, and that's not easy.

TSequoia01
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Serena has pride. That's not the problem. Justine has a more complete game, and she's not wilting when Serena does her yelling and fistpumping.

Justine has a more complete game, but Serena has a more devastating game. Problem for Serena is Justne is playing her game better than she is playing hers.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Justine has a more complete game, but Serena has a more devastating game. Problem for Serena is Justne is playing her game better than she is playing hers.
:worship: Now that's a respectable comment and makes a lot of sense...

bandabou

Uhum...we'll see...I see you're off the russian tour now.

thrust
Somehow I doubt that Steffi would have an easy time with Justine on grass. Justine has stronger and more variety of shots than anyone Steffi had to play after Monica got stabbed.

MistyGrey
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:03 PM
You guys need to watch other sports then...

Undoubtedly, some people will always think that Steffi is the greatest until someone breaks her record... but in the court of general public opinion, pure numbers seldom deterimine the GOAT... otherwise nobody would ever touch Wilt Chamberlain. Competition counts for a lot... that's why Ali is widely considered the best, and Jordan too...

In tennis, there is another thing called the ability to dominate on all surfaces. Graf had that more than anyone else. Serena can dominate on 3 surfaces,but her record on clay is pretty weak for a GOAT. Justine or no Justine, Serena only has 2 titles and two runner up finishes on clay in her entire career! Other than 2002 and 2003, she only has one semifinal on clay. To be considered for the title of GOAT, Serena has to improve her clay court resume.
Steffi is not the only player considered for the title of GOAT. Navratilova,Court,Evert are all in the running, and Serena,Justine et all have a long way to go before they can make a claim for GOAT.

skanky~skanketta
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:04 PM
while i love justine to bits, IF she wins wimby, and that's a BIG if cuz she could very well face venus in the finals (if they get that far) she may lose motivation. i mean, once you get that big prize you're eyeing for, what else is there? inevitably u lose a little bit of that drive.

as for serena, she's a woman of hubris and this is what made her. and it could break her. i mean, with those injuries she should have pulled out! but she has so much pride and i think that drives her and it is not healthy!

still, i hope Serena gets well soon cuz she's amazing to watch and without a doubt the heaviest fave to win any tourney she joins, barring the french open. let's face it, much as i love juju, i thought she was gonna lose to serena at wimby.

goldenlox
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Uhum...we'll see...I see you're off the russian tour now.Ha! I'm watching Youzhny right now.

bandabou
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Ha! I'm watching Youzhny right now.

Ouch..another choker.

goldenlox
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:40 PM
127 out of 128 lose

Serena!
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:43 PM
I agree, in the next few years it'll be interesting to see who wins what. And i think Serena, once healthy again, will win 3, 4 or 5 more slams before shes done. But I feel like to be the GOAT, you need to have won a few, if not a lot, of doubles and mixed doubles slams. Singles isn't ALL that counts, right? I mean Justine (I dont think..) has ever played doubles in a slam, Serena has a career slam in doubles, and half a career slam in mixed. I don't know, just something to think about..

Onyxangel
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I agree, in the next few years it'll be interesting to see who wins what. And i think Serena, once healthy again, will win 3, 4 or 5 more slams before shes done. But I feel like to be the GOAT, you need to have won a few, if not a lot, of doubles and mixed doubles slams. Singles isn't ALL that counts, right? I mean Justine (I dont think..) has ever played doubles in a slam, Serena has a career slam in doubles, and half a career slam in mixed. I don't know, just something to think about..

I would be inclined to agree, but maybe not to the same extent. I would probably call the doubles accomplishments a tie-breaker, if two people had equally distinguished singles careers... but it's just too complicated to involve doubles to any serious degree... I mean, doesn't that make Martina Nav pretty-much untouchable? I think even Anna K has a doubles title to her credit... so obviously I would take those with a large grain of salt.

That being said... I would really like to see Ju pick up a Wimby win here and maybe get to 10 for her career, and see Rena pick up a half dozen more slam wins herself to give her some major competition credit for the GOAT conversations...