PDA

View Full Version : For the first time since 2004 Australian Open...

Sam L
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:36 AM
.... there's no Russian women in the grand slam semifinals. :o

The end of an era. It's almost like the end of the Romanovs, like we're back in 1917 - except it's not that sad.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:40 AM
:lol: I didn't realize that it'd been that long :lol:

:eek: WOW! Venus took out the Russian front single handedly :lol:

Now we'll have:

1 French Player
1 Belgian Player
1 American Player
1 Czech/Serbian Player

that's SO weird :lol:

rockstar
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:40 AM
it's mainly been sharapova or sometimes kuznetsova after 2004 anyways...

Dexter
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:41 AM
It's almost like the end of the Romanovs, like we're back in 1917 - except it's not that sad.:spit: :yeah:

cartmancop
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:42 AM
And there's a recent mystery surrounding Anastasia (Myskina this time ;) re:retirment)

Coincidence, I think not...

ezekiel
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:42 AM
do you have something personal against Russia or something?

Comparing tennis players it to russian kingdom is desperate and inapropriate

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:43 AM
its hardly the end of an era...

Si_Hi
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:43 AM
because this time maria lost......
since 2005...
2005 AO maria
2005 RG ElenaL Petrova
2005 W maria
2005 UO maria ElenaD
2006 AO maria
2006 RG sveta
2006 W maria
2006 UO maria
2007 AO maria
2007 RG maria

so that's just because maria's loss....

cartmancop
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:44 AM
wow, when you put it down the list like that, not exactly as impressive of a 'domination' as the media likes to paint it... :lol: just mostly one player...

RR-87
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:45 AM
:sobbing:

i hope russians will get revenge in New York :devil: :armed:

cellophane
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Not again. :yawn:

tenn_ace
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:47 AM

The end of an era. It's almost like the end of the Romanovs, like we're back in 1917 - except it's not that sad.

still better than Australian/Israeli of whereever you are from... Care to tell us? :haha:

PS. And will be better for years to come. :lol:

Russianboy
"end of an era" lol :lol: :help:

Sam L
:lol: I didn't realize that it'd been that long :lol:

:eek: WOW! Venus took out the Russian front single handedly :lol:

Now we'll have:

1 French Player
1 Belgian Player
1 American Player
1 Czech/Serbian Player

that's SO weird :lol:

It's like what they say, all's quiet on the eastern front - that goes for China too. :)

Sam L
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:50 AM
do you have something personal against Russia or something?

No, I just don't care for hype. Some of you might be too new to remember this but there was a time when certain posters hyped and talked about Russian players as if they'd be winning all the slams all the time. :rolleyes:

vettipooh
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:50 AM

Venus slayed 3 of them.:o :devil:

Sam L
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:52 AM
still better than Australian/Israeli of whereever you are from... Care to tell us? :haha:

So? They're not pretending to be a tennis superpower, that's the difference. Australia kicks ass in many other sports and Israel kicks ass in :devil:. So what?

Sam L
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Venus slayed 3 of them.:o :devil:

Russian Slayer!! :worship::worship::worship:

jujufreak
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:54 AM
that's remarkable indeed :)

AnnaK_4ever
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Israeli flag, "location: Australia", "General of Athens", talking shit about Russians all the time :help:
You are seriously sick.

Sam L
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Israeli flag, "location: Australia", "General of Athens", talking shit about Russians all the time :help:
You are seriously sick.

Oh yes, attack the messenger because you don't like his message. :help:

Anyway, don't be pissed off at me. I'm not the one who knocked your girls out of the draw.

DEAL WITH IT!

new-york
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:33 PM
basically, it's been a while since Maria lost before the sf of a slam.

Effy
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:38 PM
end of the era? :lol: :haha: only in ur dreams ;) That's not the end at all.

AnnaK_4ever
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Oh yes, attack the messenger because you don't like his message. :help:

Anyway, don't be pissed off at me. I'm not the one who knocked your girls out of the draw.

DEAL WITH IT!

The funny thing is that I'm not even fan of Sharapova or Kuznetsova. And you seem to be the only one who keeps talking about "Russian era". No one on this board ever proclaimed they would win five/ten more Slams. Moreover, absolute majority of the posters always thought 2004 was a fluke.
Name me any person here who said Myskina would win another title, name any person who said Kuznetsova would dominate the Tour, name any person who said Sharapova would win every Slam she entered. If there are the ones on this forum they are as sick with their obsession as you.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I don't think he meant that they would DOMINATE like that, but I mean a Russian player has appeared in only 2 GS finals since then (Sharapova 1-1), and I think that was a bit of a shock. Tennis magazine basically proclaimed that Russia had taken over the WTA. There were 5 Russians at the YEC in 2004 and now there are still lots of Russians at the top of tennis, but it's kinda shocking that more of them aren't in GS finals w/ the predicted consistency of the pundits in 2004. :shrug:

DA FOREHAND
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:00 PM
"end of an era" lol :lol: :help:

There was an era? I thought it was a year:tape:

Russianboy
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:01 PM
You are seriously sick.

:worship:

lecciones
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I don't think it is any way comparable to the loss of the Romanovs.

Jasmin
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:03 PM
It was just a year. Then certain players came back and it was over.

Effy
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:11 PM
There was an era? I thought it was a year:tape:

really? than u must be blind :wavey:

DA FOREHAND
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:15 PM
really? than u must be blind :wavey:

Must be...but here's your chance to help me see this "era".:help: :confused: :tape:

AnnaK_4ever
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:26 PM
I don't think he meant that they would DOMINATE like that, but I mean a Russian player has appeared in only 2 GS finals since then (Sharapova 1-1), and I think that was a bit of a shock. Tennis magazine basically proclaimed that Russia had taken over the WTA. There were 5 Russians at the YEC in 2004 and now there are still lots of Russians at the top of tennis, but it's kinda shocking that more of them aren't in GS finals w/ the predicted consistency of the pundits in 2004. :shrug:

Kuznetsova also played final at Roland Garros ;)

Anyway, in 2004 we've got 3 GS winners. And let be honest, Myskina's title was the biggest shock and she never was expected to repeat this result. Sharapova is still there, she won USO, made final at AO and reached 6 SFs. Kuznetsova is still there too, not on Maria's level but still, she reached RG final and 4 QFs.
And like I've already said in similar thread started by the same poster:
Myskina's carvel has crashed and gone and burnt near Athens.
Kuznetsova's carvel has neither captain nor crew to deliver one more time.
Sharapova's carvel reached both New York and Melbourne havens over the last 6 months having conquered the former. So it's still the force to reckon with.
Other than these three no Russians have ever proved they've got anything bigger than river boats.

In 2004 Russians won 3 GS.
In 2005 Russians won nothing big.
In 2006 Russian won 1 GS, reached 1 GS final and won 8 of 10 Tier I.
It's all down to expectations. Personally I expected something like that. If someone was over the moon after 2004 it's only his problem.
Russian players do what they can do. None of them is GOAT, so what? Big deal...

Pushkin
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:31 PM

Anyway, in 2004 we've got 3 GS winners. And let be honest, Myskina's title was the biggest shock and she never was expected to repeat this result. Sharapova is still there, she won USO, made final at AO and reached 6 SFs. Kuznetsova is still there too, not on Maria's level but still, she reached RG final and 4 QFs.
And like I've already said in similar thread started by the same poster:

In 2004 Russians won 3 GS.
In 2005 Russians won nothing big.
In 2006 Russian won 1 GS, reached 1 GS final and won 8 of 10 Tier I.
It's all down to expectations. Personally I expected something like that. If someone was over the moon after 2004 it's only his problem.
Russian players do what they can do. None of them is GOAT, so what? Big deal...

Didn't Russia won the Fed Cup in 2004 AND 2005????? Aren't they in the semi-finals again this year? Don't they have 4 players in the top 10?? What a dumb comment from a jaelous man.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 5th, 2007, 02:06 PM

:spit::lol: Must.Not.Post.When.Drunk :lol:

I TOTALLY forgot about that one :lol:

Sam L
Jul 6th, 2007, 04:18 AM

That's precisely what I'm critical of. It's the hype. It was there and it's still there. But not the results.

Fed Cup and Tier I's, so what? It's the grand slams that count. The Williams sisters and Henin don't play of them them anyway.

Dan23
Jul 6th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Maria missed a SF for once....so its the end of an era? :lol:
Only Kuznetsova of the others has been threatening at slams after 2005 anyhow

Stamp Paid
Jul 6th, 2007, 04:43 AM
The end of an era. It's almost like the end of the Romanovs, like we're back in 1917 - except it's not that sad.LOL. Sam, so ****y. :hug::p

Dan23
Jul 6th, 2007, 04:45 AM
LOL. Sam, so ****y. :hug::p
a new word? :p

Brooks.
Jul 6th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Sharapova will win more slams

Kuznetsova I think will win at least one more slam, if not more

so it's not over...and I'm sure there are a lot of young Russians waiting in the wings

Stamp Paid
Jul 6th, 2007, 04:48 AM
a new word? :pLOL no. :p Sam is just so dramatic.

heytennis
Jul 6th, 2007, 04:54 AM
I think Sharapova will win more slams. I think Kuznetsova will win at least one more slam. I think Chakvetadze or Petrova could get lucky with a slam like Myskina did. Russia also has many up and comers like Kudryavtseva etc. Although two popular Russians from 2004 aren't really in contention anymore, the country has more than it's fair share of present and future champions.

Williams-forever
Jul 6th, 2007, 06:57 AM
It was about time...It was getting boring...:yawn:

mankind
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Well let's just wait and see whether the Serbians produce anything big at the slam level shall we, now that they're the new hyped-up nation..

AnnaK_4ever
Jul 6th, 2007, 09:23 AM
That's precisely what I'm critical of. It's the hype. It was there and it's still there. But not the results.

But where?
Please, quote related articles, professional opinions, quote GM threads. Quote them. Can you do it? Nope. You can't. Because no one ever insisted Russians would be winning tons of Slams since 2004.