PDA

View Full Version : If You Could Choose 1 Player To Play A Match To Save Your Life Who Would You Choose?

SelesFan70
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:47 AM
She will be playing on a neutral-bouncing court...outside in mild temperatures with no wind.

I would pick Serena Williams if I could only choose one, but I'd have Monica Seles and Chris Evert as backups in case Serena was busy. :lol: Doesn't matter who she plays, I know she'd fight to the end.

Orion
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:49 AM
who do they play?

Bruno71
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Steffi Graf

moby
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Which surface?

SelesFan70
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:51 AM
who do they play?

Well, that's a good question that I didn't consider... :lol:

SelesFan70
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Which surface?

Something like the Australian Open is played on, but not in such intense heat.

brayster87
Jul 5th, 2007, 06:31 AM
This is a pathetic thread that's not going anywhere

kiwifan
Jul 5th, 2007, 06:37 AM
She will be playing on a neutral-bouncing court...outside in mild temperatures with no wind.

I would pick Serena Williams if I could only choose one, but I'd have Monica Seles and Chris Evert as backups in case Serena was busy. :lol: Doesn't matter who she plays, I know she'd fight to the end.

I was going to post exactly the same thing Miss Chris or Young Monica would be my backups.

Chris Evert always showed up to win. She could be beat but you had to raise your level, hers wasn't going to drop. :angel:

Same for Young Monica. :angel:

Then there's Miss Williams, my best chance to put a beat down on anyone any day. :devil:

Slutiana
Jul 5th, 2007, 06:48 AM
:lol: you say 1 player then put a multiple choice poll

PamShriverRockz
Jul 5th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Steffi Graf.

lolas
Jul 5th, 2007, 07:00 AM
I'd choose Kim :) But not if she played against the Williams or Henin...

Apoorv
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:09 AM
steffi graf. i would choose the talented one who I love the most.

Petkorazzi
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:16 AM
funny But I'd choose chakhnashvili .. So many years of being a fan and I've never seen her play :(

goldenlox
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Federer

cartmancop
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Serena Williams 2002ish... Graf from 88 or so :)

Adal
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Brie Whitehead of course :)

Onyxangel
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I'd probably take J-Cap... if my life was on the line, then I'd want somebody who probably has 'connections' that could 'take care' of her opponent for her....

No Name Face
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:38 AM
serena.
if not her, then monica.

Dave.
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I picked Monica because nobody at all has ever had such a good fighting spirit.

then Graf and Evert because they hardly ever lost.

Shinjiro
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:14 PM
steffi's the safest bet.

sharapovarulz1
Jul 5th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Steffi Graph of course :)

iWill
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:00 PM
This is a pathetic thread that's not going anywhere

so why did u waste ur time posting..........

I think this is a fun thread and a break from all the Serena Justine fans goin back and forth (even though I'm one of them) lol

I'd pick Serena or Monica Sharapova would actually be my third

Serena- she'd fight to the end and she hates to lose to anyone thats really all you need from a player with her talent and if she knew someone's life was on the line she'd play even harder i'm sure (i hope) lol

Seles- tough to beat by anyone when shes playing well she fights hard on every single point and shes really consistent on the baseline so it'd take a tough opponent to beat her

Sharapova- same as Seles she fights for every point and every point means something to her no matter if shes winning or losing she isnt always the best bet but shes consistent and it takes a really tough opponent to be playing great to beat her any time

CORIA01
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:19 PM
probably Martina or Monica at their peaks!

Demska
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Steffi

UDACHi
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:32 PM
i would pick serena but she'd probably get an injury at the last minute, so steffi it is.

Karsten Braasch
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:33 PM
John McEnroe

shirley
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Serena Williams or if she was busy Steffi

:inlove:
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I'd be too scared Serena would injure herself.
Navratilova '81.

alexia1huff
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:38 PM
when? nowadays, during the reign of steffi/ seles, 50 years ago, WHEN, cause I don't think that steffi or hingis are the best players to choose against the hardest hitting players of williams type!

MistyGrey
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Steffi Graf!
Doesnt matter which surface :worship:

SelesFan70
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:25 PM
:lol: you say 1 player then put a multiple choice poll

:eek: I did check that box! :help: Oh,well...I guess it's honor sytem. :angel:

Sylvester
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Evert on clay easily ends the thread.

LindsayRulz
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Serena.

alfajeffster
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:33 PM

Most people (myself included) never had the chance to see Billie Jean King playing in her prime (1968-73). She was not only one of the greatest fighters in the history of the sport, she had the uncanny ability to change her game in the middle of a set, and even in the middle of a point to re-direct the way a match was going, and then figure out what she needed to do to dissect her opponent, and usually, she did it. Only Margaret Court was able to rob Billie Jean of the small amount of time it took King to change the complexion of a match, and Court did it mainly by overpowering King with heavy first serves. Serena is a pretty close second for me, but Billie Jean King is still my go to girl if I had to choose.

Selah
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Serena Williams on any surface. Well, maybe I would pick Justine on clay.

serenafann
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:50 PM
I like the question it's one I have thought of for awhile,since I remember in the past watching tennis and the statement would be made that "I would have him/her play a match for my life".I think the answer has to take into account that who ever you choose their greatest nemisis would be placed in their path.My top three and also some of my all time favs in order are.

1.Serena Williams,at her best she could and would imo beat any other all-time great,cool under pressure,great fight and serve.
2.Steffi Graf,one of a kind ability on all surfaces,underated serve,great court movement and ofcourse the Forehand,plus steely dertermination.
3.Monica Seles fight and dermination are her middle name a great competitor who doesn't back down,when the going got tough she would get tougher and hit harder with even more angles than usual.

Maryamator
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:51 PM
serena:bounce: how come u didnt add jcap?:p

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jul 5th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Assuming that all players were of the same era and brought there best to the court, I'd go with Margaret Court, Chris Evert and Billie Jean King.

Court, because she was a big girl who as a wee lass I remember rolling over just about all the other players. She could volley, and was powerful, and intense at her best. Billie Jean King, because she was always thinking of a way to come out on top, and used every tool or even trick -- even intimidation -- to win the most important matches. But I voted for Evert of course. Chris Evert because as a player who played her as a pro wrote in The Blast, Chris "never gave any free points." Her level stayed intense at all times. She was a thinking player more than a physical one, who was always planning when to "thread the needle" and be aggressive. Her movement was good enough to make it to 10 Wimbledon finals back when grass was still a fast surface, and few could beat her at her best on clay! She never gave up, and even did the impossible and improved not only her game in the 80's but her body (at a older age or a pro athlete). Fierce determination. Chris never conceded defeat until the umpire said, "Game, set, and match..."

Just Do It
Jul 5th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Brie

John.
Jul 5th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Chris Evert

Monica Seles

Serena Williams

MK hamster
Jul 5th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Has to be Steffi...

miffedmax
Jul 5th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Lena D. The *(&^#@ blonde bitch is gonna kill me one way or the other anyway.

(Honestly, though, I'm surprised Chrissie isn't more popular. Her winning percentage is like over .900, and she's freakin' ice. The others were all great players, but not always able to stand up to pressure.)

Tenis Srbija
Jul 5th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Serena for sure :) She would fight like a mad :)

Apoorv
Jul 5th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Brie

you are dead! :p

Thanx4nothin
Jul 5th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Serena...she would kill herself to win...on the mens probably Nadal...Federer or Jimmy Connors.

The Daviator
Jul 5th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Lindsay, of course ;)

:lol: Seriously, Serena.

Just Do It
Jul 5th, 2007, 06:59 PM
you are dead!

No ! I am sure Brie would find a way to beat every player if she is playing to save my life :angel:

Rex59
Jul 5th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Whoever comprised this list, how could you possibly exclude Martina Nav? She does not belong in an "Other" category!

Drake1980
Jul 5th, 2007, 07:03 PM
gotta go Steffi

GrafMariaPetraK
Jul 5th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Steffi graf

Ksenia.
Jul 5th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Ha, I was thinking about the same theme after today's BBC documentary about McEnroe. I'd pick Graf most likely. And Federer :)

DarkchildSwiss
Jul 5th, 2007, 07:47 PM
steffi

Kunal
Jul 5th, 2007, 07:59 PM
serena

sfselesfan
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Anyone who picks Evert, Court or King had better hope they aren't playing anyone else on that list.

This thread is as tired as your political party.

SF

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 6th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Despite my bias, I would just have to pick Serena. Playing at her peak, I know she'd win.

Monica Seles in a very close 2nd as my backup.

*roddicksinme*
Jul 6th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Steffi Graf, no doubt ;)

LeRoy.
Jul 6th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Serena Williams / Monica Seles :worship:

Donny
Jul 6th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Do people picking Graf realize that no opponent was specified? Would you change your mind if it was Seles on the other side of the net, on clay?

Anyway, I'd pick Serena, in 02 form.

alfajeffster
Jul 6th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Anyone who picks Evert, Court or King had better hope they aren't playing anyone else on that list.

This thread is as tired as your political party.

SF

Big hitters generally have the most trouble winning one-point tournaments because when the chips are on the line, they usually produce an error. It's the difference between playing tennis and being a shotmaker. Rarely does a shotmaker succeed under that kind of pressure. I'd take King, Court or Evert over anyone on the list on a grass court with both players weilding standard size frames.

Sam L
Jul 6th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Serena is the safest choice because she has no weaknesses, nor limitations and she will fight to the death to win.

mankind
Jul 6th, 2007, 11:32 AM
so why did u waste ur time posting..........

I think this is a fun thread and a break from all the Serena Justine fans goin back and forth (even though I'm one of them) lol

This will probably end up being one of those threads if it isn't already (I can't be bothered reading through 4 pages) .

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 6th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Serena.....can you put Federer in the poll too?? kthanx :wavey:

A'DAM
Jul 6th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Im suicidal so I'll go for Brie Whitehead :worship: