PDA

View Full Version : Is Marion Bartoli's SF appearance in Wimbledon a fluke?

Mynarco
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Check out her stat this year...many 2nd round or 1st round exit(including suprising upset) in tier 2/3 tourny..
but suddenly she got into the last 4 in Wimby...:eek:
So intriguing...

If Martina wasn't upset by Laura, she would have been in SF :sad: :cry:

W!MBLEDON
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:29 AM
what're you on about? if martina can lose to a player like granville in the first place i have a hard time believing she would be able to tough it out against krajicek and bartoli in the following rounds in current circumstances

iPatty
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:31 AM
no, i don't think so.

if you watch her matches, she's actually made very few unforced errors and is hitting the ball cleanly.
i doubt she'll go on a summer hardcourt tear, but this isn't a fluke.

Dani12
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Her performance really only deserves a quarter final appearence, a harder draw and she'd be out a round ago.

plantman
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:41 AM
She may be out of shape, but her ball striking has been accurate in this tournament. She could be one of the finalist!

The Kaz
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:46 AM
SF Birmingham (d. Hantuchova)
SF Eastbourne (d. Dementieva)

a SF Wimbledon is hence not a fluke when she has won 11 matches on grass this year ;)

Hantu515
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:52 AM
I say it's a fluke not because she isn't one of the better players of the section, but because the 2nd quarter of the draw was incredibly easy minus Jankovic. Several players deserve the spot more; Sharapova, Mauresmo, the loser of Ivanvoic/Vaidisova, the loser of Kuznetsova/Venus and Hantuchova. However, I will say she is playing decent, but still fluke.

And her win over Hantuchova in Birmingham can hardly be counted as proof of playing great, Daniela had just beaten Daniilidou and then had to play Bartoli later that day, whereas Bartoli had played her match the day before. Bartoli won because of rain.

Mateo Mathieu
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Win is a win = no fluke :)

If you ask me to give you one of examples I can think of fluke, I'd say Amelie Mauresmo winning AO with three retirements! On the other hand, Marion beat all these players here without retirement.

selyoink
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Its a fluke in the sense that she will never get that far again but she has done what she needed to do to get this far so she deserves it.

Pleasantville
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:55 AM
well it wont be a fluke if she beats justine. i have a good feeling about this. im sensing that justine will be defeated

.Andrew.
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Marion's performance is not a fluke.

She really is now having a great year. After making the finals of a low tier tournament, she has been winning lots of matches! She also has been having a great grass court season.

Hope she can keep it up for the summer hardcourts.

The Kaz
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Its a fluke in the sense that she will never get that far again but she has done what she needed to do to get this far so she deserves it.

How do you know she'll never get there again - what are you, a psychic? :rolleyes:

mankind
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Yes it is a fluke. Easy draw. Jelena played terribly - no power, hardly any winners, let Bartoli dominate even though she could hardly breathe she was puffing so much in the first set :haha: Quelle blague - Justine will prevail easily in the semis.

~Eclipsed~
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:59 AM
I think she's like the Alexandra Stevenson of Wimbledon 07. It's hard to see her getting to this stage of a grand slam again.

So yes it's a fluke, but all credit to her for making it this far. She took advantage of her draw after her upset win over Jankovic and she deserves to be in the semis.:cool:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 5th, 2007, 05:01 AM
Fluke? Are you kidding me? It's not a fluke.... it's a MIRACLE! :lol:

Bruno71
Jul 5th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Mixed feelings on this.

Yes - Because the draw was generally the easiest of the 4 quarters. She didn't get Jankovic's best game and benefited greatly from rain delays (don't anyone jump on me for this...Marion said this herself). She only played one top 10 player to get to the semis.

No - Because she played some great tennis, really reaching above & beyond what one would normally expect of her game. She moved well, better than anyone would've thought. Her groundstrokes have turned out to be picture-perfect for grass...low bouncing with a vicious skid. She gained confidence with every round.

selyoink
Jul 5th, 2007, 05:09 AM
How do you know she'll never get there again - what are you, a psychic? :rolleyes:

Obviously I don't think she will ever get that far again that is why I posted it. Clearly I don't know for sure though I do feel strongly about it. The chances of her getting to play someone like Michaella Krajicek in the quarters of a slam again are minimal.

SelesFan70
Jul 5th, 2007, 05:15 AM
There have been a number of "surprise" semi-finalists at Wimbledon who didn't do much afterwards. Alexandra Stevenson and Kathy Rinaldi (1985) come to mind. Time will tell, but kudos to her for getting there! :)

Orion
Jul 5th, 2007, 05:45 AM
I think she's like the Alexandra Stevenson of Wimbledon 07. It's hard to see her getting to this stage of a grand slam again.

A little off on the Stevenson remark. Bartoli will (probably) never reach this round of a slam again, but Stevenson won a total of four matches for the rest of her career at the slam level not counting Wimbledon '99. Bartoli's matches Stevenson's slam win total THIS YEAR alone.

~Eclipsed~
Jul 5th, 2007, 05:50 AM
A little off on the Stevenson remark. Bartoli will (probably) never reach this round of a slam again, but Stevenson won a total of four matches for the rest of her career at the slam level not counting Wimbledon '99. Bartoli's matches Stevenson's slam win total THIS YEAR alone.

I never said she would emulate Alex's career outside of this Wimbledon run.;)

drake3781
Jul 5th, 2007, 05:53 AM
She may be out of shape, but her ball striking has been accurate in this tournament. She could be one of the finalist!

I don't really think she is out of shape. She works out extremely hard and at length, which nobody out of shape could possibly do, she doesn't tire in matches, and she doesn't look heavy in person.

Her weight has become a big joke around here, but it is largely undeserved, IMO.

Bruno71
Jul 5th, 2007, 06:34 AM
I don't really think she is out of shape. She works out extremely hard and at length, which nobody out of shape could possibly do, she doesn't tire in matches, and she doesn't look heavy in person.

Her weight has become a big joke around here, but it is largely undeserved, IMO.

Her cardio is not where it should be, otherwise people overstate her being out of shape.

LucasArg
Jul 5th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Not a fluke. At all. It is a great surprise to get her playing the semis this year.

She showed brilliant tennis in some moments. I am really into her match with Henin.

She could surprise someone elses too. :lol:

Go Marion!!!! :wavey:

Mana
Jul 5th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Go Marion :worship:

On her day Marion's the cleanest striker in the world IMO. Alot of people prob would have only seen her play once or twice or even not at all, but still have plenty to say on her game and her body :rolleyes: Get youre facts staright before you comment on an issue you know nothing about :o

hdfb
Jul 5th, 2007, 07:25 AM

So yes it's a fluke, but all credit to her for making it this far. She took advantage of her draw after her upset win over Jankovic and she deserves to be in the semis.:cool:

:spit:

brayster87
Jul 5th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Yes its a fluke......an easy draw for her! She will never match this feat again

silverwhite
Jul 5th, 2007, 07:29 AM
She defeated a top 4 seed so yes, she deserves her place in the semis.

tennisbear7
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:19 AM
She's playing well.

I think this is like Dechy of AO 05. Beats Myskina and goes out to Davenport (top player)in semis. Marion will go down against Henin. Unfortunately, I don't think Marion will be this lucky draw-wise again. Beating Jankovic on grass is not easy, but it's not too difficult IMO.

stefi62
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:20 AM
I don't know what it is, but please, someone stops it now! I cannot stand her arrogance anymore!

Slutiana
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Fluke? Are you kidding me? It's not a fluke.... it's a MIRACLE! :lol:

:lol:

DimaDinosaur
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Marion got to the semis of Birmingham AND Eastbourne AND now Wimby? Whoooooooooo Marion :clap2: Top ten is coming up. This is her breakthrough fo' show!

drummer girl
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:27 AM
No its not a fluke. Bartoli took advantage of an easy draw (Hingis didn't), has played some good tennis beating the likes of Jankovic and deserves her place. She's been having a great year and this is her reward. She may not reach this level again but she takes her chances when she gets them, so she's always a chance.

Well done to her I say.

Pasta-Na
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:55 AM
i am happy for her :p lucie, bammer and her are top 20 players.

Hashim.
Jul 5th, 2007, 09:01 AM
no..definately not..

gelrad
Jul 5th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Bartoli Draw:
1st round : Flavia Pennetta, Best 4th round, but started the year ranked 28, now 63.
2nd round : Q Olga Govortsova, First time at main draw.
3rd round : Shahar Peer, Best before was 2nd round.
4rd round : Jelena Jankovic, Best 4th round.
QF : Michaella Krajicek, Best before was 1st round... (Other at QF : Henin (Final), Serena (Winner), Ivanovic (4th), Vaidisova (4th), Kuznetsova (QF), Venus (Winner))

Bartoli best before was 3rd round.

aussie_fan
Jul 5th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Its' not a fluke, she took advantage of her draw and was able to beat the 3rd seed in Janokvic, she's playing well and deserves her spot. Ally ou can do is make the best of your draw and marion has done exactly that.

mckyle.
Jul 5th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Yes, her draw was so easy. Most players would kill to play Jankovic and Krajicek - a girl who is known to serve up to 15 aces in a match. Incredibly easy :worship:

Naranoc
Jul 5th, 2007, 09:40 AM
No, don't be silly.

Russianboy
Jul 5th, 2007, 09:47 AM
If she had a similar bad draw like Maria she would never be there...

Alizé Molik
Jul 5th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Hantuchova showed that you need to do more than show up to beat a player (Serena injured etc. yet she still found a way to loose) I don't care what you say about Jankvovic playing badly or Krajicek being an easy player to beat, better players have been upset a lot earlier this year against lesser players than those that Marion has beaten!!

Iceland
Jul 5th, 2007, 09:52 AM
It's not as if Vaidisova reaching the SF in Melbourne were more impressive. She defeated Dementieva to reach the QF (*hum*) and then Safarova who was in the same position as Misa. Of course, you can tell me "yes blabla Safarova has got a great game ; beat top 10 players blabla" but Misa is a young & promising player who plays well on grass (got the title in Rosmalen 06) and who will probably have a great future too.

So no Marion's run is not a fluke in my opinion even if the draw was not the hardest. Marion is a good grass player and she deserved it. Reaching another QF in Grand Slam is not out of the question anyway.

homogenius
Jul 5th, 2007, 10:55 AM
No

Julian Byatt
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:09 AM
The fact of the matter is Marion IS a Wimbledon semi-finalist and will be for the rest of time. She may or may not make another Slam semi during her career but she will always have this one, incidentally, one more than most players (or any of us!) will ever have.
A player can only beat the player that is on the other side of the net, not the one who is in another section of the draw, or in the locker room, or on a plane leaving the country!

She has beaten a top 4 seed who was widely tipped to be a semi-finalist.

Thoroughly deserving I would say. Well done Marion, enjoy the ride.

Oh, and I had no idea there were so many catwalk models on these pages. Lucky old you's!!

CORIA01
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:17 AM
no it is not even if I do not liker her
she has beaten Jankovic wich was a contender!

Tenis Srbija
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Well, she is playing very well currently. But let's face it, if there wasn't for that rain breaks, she would be defeated in fourth round. Nevertheless she has done a great job, and all best to her.
Will she repeat it? I don't think so. It's to tricky to have so much luck again. But who knows... :)

Tenis Srbija
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:23 AM
It's not as if Vaidisova reaching the SF in Melbourne were more impressive. She defeated Dementieva to reach the QF (*hum*) and then Safarova who was in the same position as Misa. Of course, you can tell me "yes blabla Safarova has got a great game ; beat top 10 players blabla" but Misa is a young & promising player who plays well on grass (got the title in Rosmalen 06) and who will probably have a great future too.

So no Marion's run is not a fluke in my opinion even if the draw was not the hardest. Marion is a good grass player and she deserved it. Reaching another QF in Grand Slam is not out of the question anyway.

You just compared Misa and Lucie, putting them in the same hat :spit: Crazy :lol:

Kenny
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Pretty much...

Iceland
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:44 AM
You just compared Misa and Lucie, putting them in the same hat :spit: Crazy :lol:

Oh please, don't be so stupid. Lucie had done nothing in her carrier before the AO, it's easy to say that after having seen the rest of her season :rolleyes:.

Shinjiro
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:48 AM
she may be playing the tournament of her life but still, i wouldn't say it's a fluke.

BartoliBabes
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:50 AM
omg! gimme a break! i really can't believe some of the posters on this board lol if you believe that marion bartoli's run to the semi-finals of wimbledon is a fluke then it proves to me that you know shit about her or her game or frankly anything about the game of tennis. bartoli has earned her place in the last four and it's not like she got an easy draw either..
r1: d. pennetta 6-3 6-1
r2: d. govortsova 7-5 6-2
r3: d. peer 6-3 6-2
r4: d. jankovic 3-6 7-5 6-3
qf: d. krajicek 3-6 6-3 6-2
this girl will be top10.. i've said it once and i'll say it again! for god's sake she reaches the semi-finals of a grandslam and it still doesn't shut some people up.. she could beat henin tomorrow and it would still be called a fluke haha i can only laugh

BartoliBabes
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:41 PM
atm, marion has more searches on the web than the likes of golovin and vaidisova. she's a star now!

FrenchY52
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Absolutely.

Julian Byatt
Jul 7th, 2007, 12:57 AM
A win over the world No. 1 and No. 3. Anyone here feeling a little foolish now?!