PDA

View Full Version : Truth Serena did not believe she could defeat Justine

TSequoia01
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:03 PM
As a Serena fan one who has followed her since 1999 and rooted for her every step of the way including today. I can say Serena did not have total belief she coud defeat Justine today, nor at Roland Garris. Injuries aside, and I do believe she was injured, her approach to defeating Justine proved to me she did not have a formulae. She searched for one, she diced, she sliced, she looped, and tried power. But in the end was out of answers and knew it. I knew she would have trouble when Justine could not get a lst serve in to save her life and still won over 70 percent of the points. Second the key to defeating Justine was to come to net after her big serves, to punish Justine for standing 6 ft behind the baseline. Never happened. Most of Serena volleys were hit directly back to Justine...mentally not into it. Serena adjusted to Justines game not the other way around...she danced to Justines music well until the last two games. Serena in that 3rd set did not attempt to win until the match was over...shades of Jennifer Capriati. That tells me pressure kept Serena contained. It may seem I am as a fan being a bit critcal and probably so, but injuries are not the only things responsible for the loss today. Justine to her credit has simply outworked Serena and gotten better. Rena is probably the most talented tennis player ever, if she wants to get back to the top it is up to her. But not playing, showing up at slams may get her by everyone else, but not Justine.

Apoleb
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:08 PM
As a Serena fan one who has followed her since 1999 and rooted for her every step of the way including today. I can say Serena did not have total belief she coud defeat Justine today, nor at Roland Garris. Injuries aside, and I do believe she was injured, her approach to defeating Justine proved to me she did not have a formulae. She searched for one, she diced, she sliced, she looped, and tried power. But in the end was out of answers and knew it. I knew she would have trouble when Justine could not get a lst serve in to save her life and still won over 70 percent of the points. Second the key to defeating Justine was to come to net after her big serves, to punish Justine for standing 6 ft behind the baseline. Never happened. Most of Serena volleys were hit directly back to Justine...mentally not into it. Serena adjusted to Justines game not the other way around...she danced to Justines music well until the last two games. Serena in that 3rd set did not attempt to win until the match was over...shades of Jennifer Capriati. That tells me pressure kept Serena contained. It may seem I am as a fan being a bit critcal and probably so, but injuries are not the only things responsible for the loss today. Justine to her credit has simply outworked Serena and gotten better. Rena is probably the most talented tennis player ever, if she wants to get back to the top it is up to her. But not playing, showing up at slams may get her by everyone else, but not Justine.

I think there's a much easier answer: Serena hasn't yet found her full groundstroke game. Really, it's not like she played much better in the earlier rounds. She was rallying with Sequera for Christ's sake, and was spinning and slicing a lot. The Serena that won two Wimby's didn't play like that. She punnished everything at first sight. I knew she was going to have trouble against Justine, because Justine's defense is great and can get everything. The only way to beat her was to be a lot more aggressive and atm she's missing that game. If you count down winners besides aces, Justine got 24 and Serena got only 12. :eek: Her injuries certainly didn't help her today, but I think she put probably her best performance in this tourney.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:28 PM
I agree with mantaee...whenever a player is injured..I dont think they will feel too confident about beating thier opponent...a tough opponent at that. We all know Serena can beat Justine because she did it this year! But in order for Serena to beat Justine without a struggle like she use to..she needs to work on some things..such as movement, she needs to loose the slice..cuz its not working against Justine, work on her shots down the line *which she's done so well in the past* and her net game. Serena DID have that same problem with capriati..until she told herself "I'm tired of loosing to players I know I can beat" and thats when she went on a winning streak against Capriati. I agree with TSequia too...you HAVE to come ready...you cant rely on pure ghetto strength *which she used again Hantochova lol* to get past people who eat sleep and breath tennis like Justine. I'll give Serena until the US Open to get revenge on Justine...she will have time to work on what she needs to work on..till then..I'm 110% behind big Sister Venus..ole girl played some damn good tennis today! I still love Serena though she did what she could despite her injuries...she could have left the tournament after playing Hantuchova...Serena still gets mad respect!

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I think the truth is that if a player steps onto the court, they're saying they're well enough to play and confidant enough to win. Henin just outplayed Serena when it counted.

At 5-3 at I believe 30-30 Serena hit a cross court shot that for anyone else would have been a winner, and Justine sledgehammered it back, and Serena made a surprised little scream that it came back before hitting long. To me, this said that on this day, Serena's best just wasn't as good as Henin's best. Whatever Serena's ailments, she canNOT come into a major championship and expect to win unless she's in tip top mental and physical form, or Henin WILL take her down (as she did).

Yeah, I could see that Serena had a let down in the final set, and no player can do that against Henin, the way that she's playing now. Serena's shot selection was also NOT up to form in that final set. In that last game (I believe it was the last), she went to net and volleyed right to Henin. And it wasn't a powerful shot that would be difficult to return. Of course Henin responded with a beautiful pass. I couldn't believe it was Serena hitting a shot that poor at one of the most critical points in the match!

Serena hardly plays anymore, and in my opinion, she's gotta find a way to get healthy and play some more matches. There's too much pressure to always "play into form" at the big events. I think it hurts her. The big events should be more about playing into even MORE peak form after working out the problems in one's game at the warm up tournaments. Serena has the opposite problem of Jelena. Jelena plays too much and Serena too little.

YESSS, I know that Serena has been injured. If that is true, then I agree with what Richard William's said on ESPN, they should have "stayed home and got well!" Forget the past, if they chose to handle how they prepare this way in the present, they've gotta expect this kind of result as Henin has gotten stronger and more lethal with her game.

I'm feeling high on Venus. She didn't look injured at all against Shrieky, but then, in my opinion Shriek has a lousy grass court game. The balls bounce higher on the grass than in the past (due to slower form of grass and heavier balls) possibly making moving in more difficult, but still Shriek has hardly any ability at net.

At 1-1 in the second set, Shriek had two short balls that brought her in that she didn't even seem to consider following up at net. She found herself moving backwards (and Venus winning both points). When I saw that, I knew that Venus was gonna take her.

Stamp Paid
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:57 PM
It is really not that serious.
If Serena hadn't sprained her thumb, she wouldn't have been forced to that awkward backhand slice and she would have been in a better position to win this match.
Thats all.

"Topaz"
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Serena:
Considering my circumstances, my leg, and most of all having no backhand and no shot, I think I did pretty well. I think it's just if I'd have been healthy, I think I would have won, a hundred percent. Rena knows her truth better than any fake psychic.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:09 PM
It is really not that serious.
If Serena hadn't sprained her thumb, she wouldn't have been forced to that awkward backhand slice and she would have been in a better position to win this match.
Thats all.

I agree with this. That was tough luck, but again, it wasn't all.

Justine was matching Serena for power, speed. movement, and making even better shot selections. I still believe its because Serena hadn't played enough and wasn't as "match tough" (as they used to say back in the day) as Henin. It showed during the key points in that final set.

rommel99
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:10 PM
i agree, serena was trying to hard, they just have to accept that justine is at par with them now. or even better.to beat justine serena has to be 100 percent, not just in health, but you know, she has to play her best and even if shes playing her best, she cant blow justine off the court anymore like she used to against any other player because justine can handle her.

azinna
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Agree with King: she lost control of several important rallies due to that slice. And two of her most crucial backhand shots were missing: the down-the-line and the sharply angled cross-court. Both would have given Justine more trouble more often, though it wouldn't necessarily have guaranteed a win.

But I agree with most others that, in general, Serena needs to (a) play more to improve shot selection, (b) improve her movement, (c) improve her net game, and (d) get back to the punishing but controlled aggression she's capable of. I'm not sure all this was needed to win against Justine today, but I'm hoping that this loss motivates her to work even harder on the little things over the summer.

vejh
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:19 PM
I notice as of late Serena seeming like she's trying to incorporate something else in her game. She's been using more spins, more touch etc. and it's not working out that much. But she still is moving full steam ahead with it. The first few games of the match I was surprised with all the touch etc. but it worked then.lol. I think Justine was surprised as well.

Stamp Paid
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Agree with King: she lost control of several important rallies due to that slice. And two of her most crucial backhand shots were missing: the down-the-line and the sharply angled cross-court. Both would have given Justine more trouble more often, though it wouldn't necessarily have guaranteed a win.

But I agree with most others that, in general, Serena needs to (a) play more to improve shot selection, (b) improve her movement, (c) improve her net game, and (d) get back to the punishing but controlled aggression she's capable of. I'm not sure all this was needed to win against Justine today, but I'm hoping that this loss motivates her to work even harder on the little things over the summer.

lmao @ your sig

Diesel
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Serena's body didn't cooperate. It wasn't her spirit or sense of belief.

pigam
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:25 PM
I notice as of late Serena seeming like she's trying to incorporate something else in her game. She's been using more spins, more touch etc. and it's not working out that much. But she still is moving full steam ahead with it. The first few games of the match I was surprised with all the touch etc. but it worked then.lol. I think Justine was surprised as well.

yes, for sure.
well one thing any sane wtaworld poster knows is that serena is a champion. and she'll probably keep on working on her game, and so will the youngsters and Justine.
To me, thé most important is Serena's movement, it's the base of everything.
Maybe some Serena fans will shoot me for this, but even today I felt like she was moving better (especially towards her FH) than in Australia. She is definetly improving, and with more matchplay she will only get better.
Justine is a player who has "several options". Feeding Serena a lot of "junk", sometimes trying to outhit her, sometimes volley, ...
If both play their best their matches will always be super tight and just super sine plus.

azinna
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:43 PM
lmao @ your sig

Thnx, tho I'm seeing I may have to change it up come next week. ;)

Thanx4nothin
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Serena without those injureis probably would have polished Justine off quite comfortably...but ehre we are...another injury filled season seemingly.

Thanx4nothin
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Thnx, tho I'm seeing I may have to change it up come next week. ;)

Your sig was answered with a perfect performance from Vee today..:devil: :worship:

azinna
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Your sig was answered with a perfect performance from Vee today..:devil: :worship:

Indeed :worship:

But I need to hear that reply for 3 more matches. Till then I'll keep my sig on repeat.

Bruno71
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Serena without those injureis probably would have polished Justine off quite comfortably...but ehre we are...another injury filled season seemingly.

It's hard to disagree with this, considering Serena was injured and still won a set and kept the match competitive throughout. But I do know one other thing...that was far from Justine's best level either. I don't know if it was nerves or an ankle injury or the wind or what, but Justine played like someone scared to win...which is not how she looked at RG and not how she normally looks. No excuses there either, but this match did nothing to help me gauge what the two of them at their best would look like on grass in 2007.

Bruno71
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:13 AM
two things. You can't discount the injuries. Yes she chose to play. But to say or assume they had no effect on her game is ridiculous. She just wanted to give it a shot. That's her own words. She would feel bad if she didn't at least try. Serena's injuries affect her shot selection.
And lastly, Henin doesn't match Serena in power off the ground or the serve. But she did for the majority of this match (off the ground that is). That's why I think Serena's problem is in her head. Her tactics are off. She trying to play more carefully with more spin but at the expense of power. Her shots are not flying through the court like they normally would. THis is fine if she is feeling unsteady about her shots but against Henin she can't keep playing like this. She negates one of the biggest advantages she has, which is the ability to overpower Henin. A lot of her groundstrokes were relatively slow and just sat up for justine to whack away at. She's done this 3 times against Henin so far this year. That's why, to me, it seems like a mental block she has against Henin. Cuz if you watch her Miami 4R, QF, SF, she was clearly hitting the ball much harder. Also, she was hitting it much harder in her Sequera match. in the 2nd set at least. In the first set she was rallyign with sequera :help: She can and should use her power more instead of reigning it in so much. Watch AO 3R against Petrova. And you will see the night and day differences that Serena can play. IMO she's been way too passive lately. That's not her game.

ohhh and regaining her mobility wouldn't help either.

You've brought up some other examples of Serena not playing the hard-hitting power tennis...I think Molik would be another good example. That's why I don't know if I think it's a mental block specifically against Henin...it seems to me she's just chosen to play more high % tennis in general. Obviously, this wasn't true against Sharapova or in parts of a few other matches.

TSequoia01
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:23 AM
You've brought up some other examples of Serena not playing the hard-hitting power tennis...I think Molik would be another good example. That's why I don't know if I think it's a mental block specifically against Henin...it seems to me she's just chosen to play more high % tennis in general. Obviously, this wasn't true against Sharapova or in parts of a few other matches.

You have made a point I was trying to make. Serena's game is an overpowering serve and a confidence diminishing return. Against Justine her serve is reduced due to justine standing 6 ft behind the baseline. Serena for whatever reason could not attack Justines second serve. So Serena tried to devise a play to defeat Justine. She tried to negate Justine's slice with her own. Did not work, She tried to hit high topspin shots to her backhand which also did not work consistently. What would have worked is coming in behind her booming serves. All out power and hard topspin shots against the slice while remaining low. With 2 games left to defeat Serena knew what to do, but why wait 2 games before defeat?

Bruno71
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:26 AM
You have made a point I was trying to make. Serena's game is an overpowering serve and a confidence diminishing return. Against Justine her serve is reduced due to justine standing 6 ft behind the baseline. Serena for whatever reason could not attack Justines second serve. So Serena tried to devise a play to defeat Justine. She tried to negate Justine's slice with her own. Did not work, She tried to hit high topspin shots to her backhand which also did not work consistently. What would have worked is coming in behind her booming serves. All out power and hard topspin shots against the slice while remaining low. With 2 games left to defeat Serena knew what to do, but why wait 2 games before defeat?

Sometimes a player's back has to be against the wall before their mind goes on auto-pilot and they come up with better stuff. Similarly, Justine's serve improved in her final service game...obviously this would've been handy earlier in the match.

harloo
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:35 AM
I agree with this. That was tough luck, but again, it wasn't all.

Justine was matching Serena for power, speed. movement, and making even better shot selections. I still believe its because Serena hadn't played enough and wasn't as "match tough" (as they used to say back in the day) as Henin. It showed during the key points in that final set.

The problem is if Serena's movement wasn't limited she could of contended with Justine more and brought her game to a new level. To me she was sluggish and trying to get to balls while off balance. As much as people try to make it anything else the injuries prevented her from winning this match. Against someone like Justine you can't get away with playing at half speed. Serena tried everything in her power to hold on but from the beginning you could tell she wasn't in the proper condition to perform at her highest level.

azinna
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:36 AM
About Serena needing to play lower percentage tennis: she needs to be consistently in position to unleash those big strokes with accuracy and success, off serves and in rallies. She needs to work very hard on her movement, footwork and anticipation. Right now, it's about perfecting the little things.

harloo
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:37 AM
It's hard to disagree with this, considering Serena was injured and still won a set and kept the match competitive throughout. But I do know one other thing...that was far from Justine's best level either. I don't know if it was nerves or an ankle injury or the wind or what, but Justine played like someone scared to win...which is not how she looked at RG and not how she normally looks. No excuses there either, but this match did nothing to help me gauge what the two of them at their best would look like on grass in 2007.

I believe Justine knows Serena is a possible threat everytime she steps on the court against her. So in turn that makes her a bit nervous and less confident in her game at times. It's an interesting dynamic but with the way Serena was moving during this match Justine should of dusted her off in two easy sets.

TSequoia01
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Sometimes a player's back has to be against the wall before their mind goes on auto-pilot and they come up with better stuff. Similarly, Justine's serve improved in her final service game...obviously this would've been handy earlier in the match.

I agree, it is easy for me to sit here and come up with solutions. But all it tells me is Serema had issues, issues her and Richard should have long worked out. Serena has to deal with her Justine issues and they are many make no mistake. Still she is the most talented tennis player ever and can do whatever she wishes.....just the way it is.

Donatello
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:44 AM
I think there's a much easier answer: Serena hasn't yet found her full groundstroke game. Really, it's not like she played much better in the earlier rounds. She was rallying with Sequera for Christ's sake, and was spinning and slicing a lot. The Serena that won two Wimby's didn't play like that. She punnished everything at first sight. I knew she was going to have trouble against Justine, because Justine's defense is great and can get everything. The only way to beat her was to be a lot more aggressive and atm she's missing that game. If you count down winners besides aces, Justine got 24 and Serena got only 12. :eek: Her injuries certainly didn't help her today, but I think she put probably her best performance in this tourney.

It's easier to glorify the past than it is to glorify the present.

Bruno71
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:44 AM
I believe Justine knows Serena is a possible threat everytime she steps on the court against her. So in turn that makes her a bit nervous and less confident in her game at times. It's an interesting dynamic but with the way Serena was moving during this match Justine should of dusted her off in two easy sets.

That's how I felt too...actually not so much about Serena's movement specifically but the general level of play. It bore out the logic that the fit player often is thrown off by the injured player for multiple reasons. I didn't expect that of Justine, and maybe that's why I'm disappointed in her play. I have to give credit to both players for toughing out an unusual match situation.

vejh
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:49 AM
But Justine was nervous. She's a smart girl; she knows how good Serena is on a non-clay surface. She'd never beaten her on anything other than clay. She respects Serena. So today she cameout, she was as nervous as the #1 player playing a Serena would be. She came out less nervous in Miami. Maybe this time around she cared just a bit more.

Bruno71
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:52 AM
But Justine was nervous. She's a smart girl; she knows how good Serena is on a non-clay surface. She'd never beaten her on anything other than clay. She respects Serena. So today she cameout, she was as nervous as the #1 player playing a Serena would be. She came out less nervous in Miami. Maybe this time around she cared just a bit more.

All true...but to me, if I have to be honest, that doesn't bode well for her in the final should she make it. You just have to overcome these nerves to win slams, and she seems to only be able to do that at the French lately. I'd like to see Justine come out swinging in the final.

Bruno71
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:02 AM
you do know she was only slicing so much cuz she couldn't hit her backhand consistently. Serena wasn't hitting that hard. Too much spin.
And to Bruno:
yes she was playing like that against Molik, etc. But to me she was doing that cuz she was not confident in her ground game and she doesn't need to hit the ball that hard to beat Molike & co. But against the better players she has repeatedly stepped it up. Hit harder/flatter with her balls flying through the court. She did it against Petrova when her back was against the wall. She did it against Jankovic/Sharapova AO and Vaidisova/Sharapova/Peer Miami. But against Justine she hasn't, she's continued to play safer. That has try not to lose mentality feel about it. That's also something she did against Vaidisova in their AO SF. I give her a pass today cuz she was bunting her backhand and/or slicing it all the time. And the few times she hit out on her backhand she clearly hurt her left hand doing so.

Yeah, everything you said is correct. It's interesting to note how differently she played against Vaidisova & Peer at AO than in Miami. She just looked like a more confident player against those 2 the second time around. She did look tentative against Justine in Miami and certainly at RG...I think today was her most attacking attempt, (the return on Justine's very first service point was pretty unbelievable) but her body just wouldn't let her accomplish that gameplan.

Apoleb
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:05 AM
All true...but to me, if I have to be honest, that doesn't bode well for her in the final should she make it. You just have to overcome these nerves to win slams, and she seems to only be able to do that at the French lately. I'd like to see Justine come out swinging in the final.

She came out swinging today. Her first serve was off, but that was it. Her second serve was still very good, and her ground game was very good all through out the first. She was putting tons of pressure on Serena. The nerves kicked in at 51.

TSequoia01
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:06 AM
you do know she was only slicing so much cuz she couldn't hit her backhand consistently. Serena wasn't hitting that hard. Too much spin.
And to Bruno:
yes she was playing like that against Molik, etc. But to me she was doing that cuz she was not confident in her ground game and she doesn't need to hit the ball that hard to beat Molike & co. But against the better players she has repeatedly stepped it up. Hit harder/flatter with her balls flying through the court. She did it against Petrova when her back was against the wall. She did it against Jankovic/Sharapova AO and Vaidisova/Sharapova/Peer Miami. But against Justine she hasn't, she's continued to play safer. That has try not to lose mentality feel about it. That's also something she did against Vaidisova in their AO SF. I give her a pass today cuz she was bunting her backhand and/or slicing it all the time. And the few times she hit out on her backhand she clearly hurt her left hand doing so.

Serena was replicating her play at Roland Garris exactly. Her slice was her answer to Justne's slice. Did she have to play that way dunno but only time she goes to it is against justine. Serena has issues against Justine. She is injured in defeat against Justine. When the match is over she has lost her match against Justine. See the problem?

Bruno71
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:13 AM
She came out swinging today. Her first serve was off, but that was it. Her second serve was still very good, and her ground game was very good all through out the first. She was putting tons of pressure on Serena. The nerves kicked in at 51.

I disagree with most of this. I think she was nervous start to finish. She normally makes errors, but I've rarely seen her make them so often on easy put-aways and the like, over the course of an entire match. Maybe a 5 or 6 game string, but rarely this much. Her movement was good but her anticipation was lackluster, and her shotmaking was in turns clueless and brilliant. I do agree her 2nd serve was good a majority of the time, and it may have saved her.

edith
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:32 AM
you can't discount the injuries. She didn't even know she would play until the last minute.
But you are right Justine is the new Capriati for Serena. Didn't capriati beat Serena in the QF of RG and Wimbledon in 2001. It's mental for Serena. She doesn't play her game against Justine and lets justine dictate. But just like she did with Capriati I think she will overcome the justine mental hurdle.

No-one, and I mean no-one, will ever trouble Serena as much as Jennifer did. Even in 2002 Serena was brushing everyone aside, except for Jennifer. Serena was playing great in 2002, Jennifer not that well. Despite this, Jennifer always managed to take her to three sets.

sweetpeas
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:44 AM
i give Serena all my love!!!hOW MANYING player"s can or will do what Serena did today?3 set.one leg one thumblol ,how many?

sweetpeas
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Not many player"s can or will do what Serena try to do today!

Sam L
Jul 5th, 2007, 02:55 AM
But not playing, showing up at slams may get her by everyone else, but not Justine.

Well that's it isn't it? She's gotten away with it in the past but not anymore.

Serena is a naturally talented player. But Justine's worked hard on her game. Very hard. They are the two most talented players in the game right now and hard works is winning out in the end.

If Serena wants to get another 'Serena Slam', she'll have to work harder, play warm-up tournaments and do more. Justine is slightly better at this stage.

Randy H
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:22 AM
I didn't think the movement cost Serena the match as much as the apparent thumb injury seemed to. I thought Serena moved better than I was expecting, sure she wasn't at peak speed either, but it could have been much much worse too. The issue with the thumb proved a more apparent liability, because she was slicing the backhand so often, and usually dumping them into the net. Even when she did hit over it, it looked more like she was holding onto the racquet with the other hand until the last second and then sort of letting go on the follow through - The fact that she had so few winners from that side, to me is a result of that injury and for Serena to have won with less than her best movement, she really needed to be on with the groundies. With the thumb injury, that just wasn't possible, because she wasn't able to be really aggressive off of that side. I do think for Serena though, it has to be somewhat encouraging that she put up such a close fight given the circumstances she was in even though I'm sure she'll be very disappointed knowing the perfectionist she is!

spencercarlos
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:27 AM
I don´t think Serena is afraid of anybody, at any stage, surface or anytime.

She got beaten by the better player on the day. Not because she did not believe.

G1Player2
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:31 AM
I didn't think the movement cost Serena the match as much as the apparent thumb injury seemed to. I thought Serena moved better than I was expecting, sure she wasn't at peak speed either, but it could have been much much worse too. The issue with the thumb proved a more apparent liability, because she was slicing the backhand so often, and usually dumping them into the net. Even when she did hit over it, it looked more like she was holding onto the racquet with the other hand until the last second and then sort of letting go on the follow through - The fact that she had so few winners from that side, to me is a result of that injury and for Serena to have won with less than her best movement, she really needed to be on with the groundies. With the thumb injury, that just wasn't possible, because she wasn't able to be really aggressive off of that side. I do think for Serena though, it has to be somewhat encouraging that she put up such a close fight given the circumstances she was in even though I'm sure she'll be very disappointed knowing the perfectionist she is!

Excellent objective post. Serena hit one backhand winner in this match. :eek: That speaks volumes.