PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova hate...Why??(Seriously)Article included

MakarovaFan
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I mean what has she done??She's always gracious in defeat,crediting her oppenents;never says anything arrogant or cocky or makes sly underhanded remarks/disses(like a certain player).She's funny and has a great postive outlook.
Even after she got her ass handed to her on centre court,she stayed and signed autographs!(after venus walked right past the kids and fans).I truly dont understand why people STRONGLY dislike her(she you're not gonna like evryone but still that doesnt make you hate them).People like Justine,Serena,Venus(more when younger),Jankovic i can see things that could bug people but maria??? Is it because at one point or another she has beaten ur faves(and to some several times in a row) or the grunts??Just look at this article,she's so ,ughh i dont kno,jus a good rolemodel:

Maria Optimistic Despite Defeathttp://www.wimbledon.org/images/pics/thumbs/m_10_sharapova_223_epa_g_penny.jpg (http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/photos/2007-07-04/200707041183558729140.html)
Shining Sharapova Service (http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/photos/2007-07-04/200707041183558729140.html)
©EPA / G.PennyWednesday, 4 July, 2007

Maria Sharapova, beaten in three Wimbledon championships since her victory year in 2004, was optimistic after her defeat today and was promising an immediate examination of her injured shoulder.
"I've got to do some scans here on my shoulder maybe tonight or tomorrow," she said. "I just don't know what the doctors will tell me. It's going to be most important healthwise."
Sharapova insisted that the scans were "just a precaution, just to know that everything is ok". She said: "It's gradually getting better. But right now, most importantly, when I go home I'm just going to strengthen my upper body and then watch out."
Assessing events after her fourth round match against Venus Williams, the Russian said: "It was not a great one in the first set for me. I didn't really have a rhythm. I don't know if it was the wind or a slow start. She got off to a fast start. I just didn't feel comfortable in the first set.
“In the third game in the second set, I started feeling good, started serving a lot better. But at the end of the day she was averaging her serve at 115 mph whereas on my first serve the fastest one was 115. So I think I couldn't really give myself any chances on the return. I think that put a little extra pressure on my serve. Even though I didn't serve that bad in the second set, she was just on top of it."
Sharapova spoke of the menace of the Williams serve: "When her serve is on, she has one of the biggest serves, if not the biggest, on tour. You are always trying to find ways for yourself to get an opportunity, especially on the return .I just didn't feel I had those today.”
The second seed denied that the heavy defeat was because she may have lacked some confidence coming into the game. "Today had nothing to do with confidence,” she said. “I'm 20 years old, I've won two Grand Slams. I've been number one in the world. I've got plenty more years to either win matches or find confidence.
"At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. It's about going out there and giving yourself the best chance you can. Sometimes it just doesn't work, like today.
"It doesn't really matter, confidence or no confidence. I should be proud of what I achieved. There's no reason for me to go out on court and think I don't have any confidence because I clearly know what I am capable of."
Written by Barry Newcombe

Poova
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:07 PM
It's called jealousy. :)

Apoorv
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Maria is just not at her best coz of shoulder. c'mon Maria we want you in your top form. Be healty and be strong.

Natalicious
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:54 PM
every player has fans and haters :shrug:

SunriseSunset
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:56 PM
It's called jealousy. :)

Exactly. She's got 2 Grand Slams and other Champions have...oh, wait they have more.

Sorry, my bad.:)

heytennis
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Some people on this board are so pathetic. I dont think they like tennis, they like making fun of people they hate and building up their favourites.

They have very short memories, some of their favourites were injured or not playing well too long ago.

Apoorv
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:03 PM
she steals limelight from some people's favs

alias
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Exactly. She's got 2 Grand Slams and other Champions have...oh, wait they have more.

:lol:

The top players will always have "haters" It doesn't matter how nice you think Sharapova is, as long as she's a threat she will have haters. Even Roger has haters!

Tennis-Chick
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Every top player has haters. I'm not a big fan of hers but I don't hate her, i just don't like the way she played tournaments when her shoulder was injured but as soon as she is asked about Fed Cup, she needs scans and mightn't play.

sharapovarulz1
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Sharapova is more the role model than most of the WTA players would ever dream of being, she is always lovely in interviews and so gracious in defeat complementing her opponnent always, but other people get jealous of this or annoyed with it, you just got to take the lovers with the haters and move on Maria knows who her true fans are and she ignores the haters......Good on you girl!

Jasmin
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:13 PM
The girl still has tons of fans which is more than I can say for Justine. Venus, Serena and Maria has sooo many fans. She will be alright and I'm no Maria fan.

supergrunt
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Well why do hate Serena? It is obvious you are making insinuations about her. And Williams fans have nothing to be jealous about when it comes to Sharapova. :haha:

sharapovarulz1
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Well why do hate Serena? It is obvious you are making insinuations about her. And Williams fans have nothing to be jealous about when it comes to Sharapova. :haha:

Ha ha sooooooooooooooo funny :rolleyes: Nearly fell off my seat laughing! I am a Sharapova fan and i aint jealous of either williams sister, i don't like them that much truth be told it's a no win no lose situation! But there are a few players i don't like on the tour and the mens but it has nothing to do with the fact I am a Sharapova fan!

Russianboy
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:22 PM

hahahah you are sooooooo funny omg:rolleyes:

Lulu.
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:25 PM

:rolls:

supergrunt
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I'm glad you guys are amused. Realy though, I'd be upset and bitter too if Sharapova was my fave and she got beaten in easy straights time and time again by the Williams sisters.

Edward.
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:31 PM

This thread is not about Serena so shut the fuck up and start another pointless thread to ramble in.

sharapovarulz1
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I'm glad you guys are amused. Realy though, I'd be upset and bitter too if Sharapova was my fave and she got beaten in easy straights time and time again by the Williams sisters.

I aint upset or bitter as Maria will learn from this defeat, and come back stronger every player goes through rough patches now and again you should know that ;)

hablo
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Some French non-Momo fans will probably relate (frenchie, le xiax, among others) to my post.

But the media hype - we get american coverage - is sooooooooooooo irritating. I can't even find the words to describe my disgust. :o
I feel the same about Roddick too.
Plus Sharapova sometimes tries too hard to be funny (especially on-court interviews after matches), whereas Roddick has charisma (he can be funny when dealing with the media. He's quite witty).
I dislike her grunting (although I like her intensity, it's pretty admirable) but I would like her game more
if she could volley, slice, vary the pace of her groundstrokes (like use more different spins) ... I don't know. Now you know why I'm a Momo fan, I guess.

She's probably a nice person : she doesn't really say bad things about her opponents when she probably could have but the media shoving her down my throat at every corner just isn't helping. Voilà.

supergrunt
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:36 PM
It is about Serena because the thread starter was refering to Serena. :mad:

ezekiel
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:37 PM
she is overrated, one dimensional, boring, thoughtless, copycat

blamoh
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:38 PM
In a way I am happy that she is being knocked out of the tournament because she gets too
much preferential treatment than people who won this tournament more times than her.
How many times these people did not put Venus on that graveyard court and she almost
lost there.
Though being the Williamses' fan, I don't hate her. I like her game and presence
as well but it bothers me that she is everything on that fucking wta tour.

Edward.
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:39 PM

You are pointless, irritating, thoughtless and stupid yet I don't hate you. :shrug:

ezekiel
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I aint upset or bitter as Maria will learn from this defeat, and come back stronger every player goes through rough patches now and again you should know that ;)

it's getting worse, soon she'll be getting bagelled by journeywomen

ezekiel
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:42 PM
You are pointless, irritating, thoughtless and stupid yet I don't hate you. :shrug:

Did I touch a nerve maybe?
Ok well as long as you don't "hate me"

MatchpointPRT
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:43 PM
It´s exactly because of the reasons that you mention that i completely changed my opinion about Sharapova. I like her now a lot more...

soomaal
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:52 PM
You know what I'm a Williams fan (well more a Venus fan to be honest) and I have never hated Maria, but I did dislike her for a while. Now I know some fans can be downright jealous, haters or whatever you call it because Sharapova has kicked their fav's arse. But there is another side to it as well. The media monster machine went berserk ever since wimby 2004. And that was partly because of her talents and charisma but also because of her blond haired, blue-eyed angelic look. This portrail of Sharapova as the best thing since sliced bread - was too much for some people like myself. And though I have NEVER hated her (even when she beat Venus - though that did upset me) I disliked her because of the fake image that the media was trying to create.

But lately I have put my hate for the media machine aside and I realised that Maria is a very likeable girl who has a lot of talent but is at the same time very graceful, down to earth, charming and really likeable. After her Australian open loss against Serena, which must have been devastating for her, I respected her MUCH and MUCH more because of her gracefulness in defeat and her maturity for her age!!

I think that she is a remarkable sportswoman, I respect her and in hindsight regret disliking her for so long just because of the media monster. I just wish that this nonsense and immaturity of some fans would stop. JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE A JUSTINE, MARIA, SERENA, VENUS OR ANY OTHER PLAYER'S FAN DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU HAVE TO NATURALLY HATE ANOTHER PLAYER.

saki
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Mostly...

http://www.lucianogiustini.org/photoblog/others/b_13_sharapovawilliams68_getty.jpg

Fidello
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Gay people tend to like bitches and hate competition? Just my 2x0.01$

switz
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:03 PM
because her fans start annoying threads :)

switz
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Gay people tend to like bitches and hate competition? Just my 2x0.01$

Serbs should avoid encouraging generalisations about what certain groups of people are like :o

Invisible Fan
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:07 PM
You know what I'm a Williams fan (well more a Venus fan to be honest) and I have never hated Maria, but I did dislike her for a while. Now I know some fans can be downright jealous, haters or whatever you call it because Sharapova has kicked their fav's arse. But there is another side to it as well. The media monster machine went berserk ever since wimby 2004. And that was partly because of her talents and charisma but also because of her blond haired, blue-eyed angelic look. This portrail of Sharapova as the best thing since sliced bread - was too much for some people like myself. And though I have NEVER hated her (even when she beat Venus - though that did upset me) I disliked her because of the fake image that the media was trying to create.

But lately I have put my hate for the media machine aside and I realised that Maria is a very likeable girl who has a lot of talent but is at the same time very graceful, down to earth, charming and really likeable. After her Australian open loss against Serena, which must have been devastating for her, I respected her MUCH and MUCH more because of her gracefulness in defeat and her maturity for her age!!

I think that she is a remarkable sportswoman, I respect her and in hindsight regret disliking her for so long just because of the media monster. I just wish that this nonsense and immaturity of some fans would stop. JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE A JUSTINE, MARIA, SERENA, VENUS OR ANY OTHER PLAYER'S FAN DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU HAVE TO NATURALLY HATE ANOTHER PLAYER.

Great Post :worship:

I agree many fans (of the Williams sisters in particular) seemed to be pissed about how much attention/endorsements etc she got after winning Wimby in 2004. But it's not as though Maria went out and asked for it. It's not her "fault" if some marketing nerds think she's the best female player to sell watches or shampoo or whatever.
Good to see that you've changed your opinion about her now :D

mykarma
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:09 PM
<I mean what has she done??She's always gracious in defeat,crediting her oppenents;never says anything arrogant or cocky or makes sly underhanded remarks/disses(like a certain player).She's funny and has a great postive outlook.
Even after she got her ass handed to her on centre court,she stayed and signed autographs!(after venus walked right past the kids and fans).I truly dont understand why people STRONGLY dislike her(she you're not gonna like evryone but still that doesnt make you hate them).People like Justine,Serena,Venus(more when younger),Jankovic i can see things that could bug people but maria??? Is it because at one point or another she has beaten ur faves(and to some several times in a row) or the grunts??Just look at this article,she's so ,ughh i dont kno,jus a good rolemodel:

Maria Optimistic Despite Defeathttp://www.wimbledon.org/images/pics/thumbs/m_10_sharapova_223_epa_g_penny.jpg (http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/photos/2007-07-04/200707041183558729140.html)
Shining Sharapova Service (http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/photos/2007-07-04/200707041183558729140.html)

Maria Sharapova, beaten in three Wimbledon championships since her victory year in 2004, was optimistic after her defeat today and was promising an immediate examination of her injured shoulder.
"I've got to do some scans here on my shoulder maybe tonight or tomorrow," she said. "I just don't know what the doctors will tell me. It's going to be most important healthwise."
Sharapova insisted that the scans were "just a precaution, just to know that everything is ok". She said: "It's gradually getting better. But right now, most importantly, when I go home I'm just going to strengthen my upper body and then watch out."
Assessing events after her fourth round match against Venus Williams, the Russian said: "It was not a great one in the first set for me. I didn't really have a rhythm. I don't know if it was the wind or a slow start. She got off to a fast start. I just didn't feel comfortable in the first set.
“In the third game in the second set, I started feeling good, started serving a lot better. But at the end of the day she was averaging her serve at 115 mph whereas on my first serve the fastest one was 115. So I think I couldn't really give myself any chances on the return. I think that put a little extra pressure on my serve. Even though I didn't serve that bad in the second set, she was just on top of it."
Sharapova spoke of the menace of the Williams serve: "When her serve is on, she has one of the biggest serves, if not the biggest, on tour. You are always trying to find ways for yourself to get an opportunity, especially on the return .I just didn't feel I had those today.”
The second seed denied that the heavy defeat was because she may have lacked some confidence coming into the game. "Today had nothing to do with confidence,” she said. “I'm 20 years old, I've won two Grand Slams. I've been number one in the world. I've got plenty more years to either win matches or find confidence.
"At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. It's about going out there and giving yourself the best chance you can. Sometimes it just doesn't work, like today.
"It doesn't really matter, confidence or no confidence. I should be proud of what I achieved. There's no reason for me to go out on court and think I don't have any confidence because I clearly know what I am capable of."
Why is it you couldn't make your statement about Maria instead of trying to diss Venus. Maria signed one autograph and I believe Vee signed a couple of them.

DefyingGravity
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:21 PM
I don't hate Sharapova. I dislike the girl's father, first of all, because I feel he's a money-hungry jackass. It's wonderful to see someone with such intensity, but the grunting can get annoying, but then again, if it ain't Seles or Dementieva, I get annoyed with everyone else's grunts at some point. She just seems a bit fake to me...as if she isn't really what she is. I mean, she tries to be funny, but it's stupid. And I also feel that she's pretty...but she's not hot. If she had a little bit more of a curve to her, she'd be much hotter in my opinion, so all the marketing on her looks seems a bit...much.

Fidello
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Serbs should avoid encouraging generalisations about what certain groups of people are like :oSwiss should count golden teeth collected at Auschwitz.

DefyingGravity
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Serbs should avoid encouraging generalisations about what certain groups of people are like :o

Swiss should count golden teeth collected at Auschwitz.

HONESTLY! STOP IT RIGHT THERE! THIS IS NOT ABOUT NATIONALITIES!!!!!!

Farina Elia Fan
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Even after she got her ass handed to her on centre court,she stayed and signed autographs!(after venus walked right past the kids and fans)

you make a good point here - I always have spoken out at Maria attitude off the court, she seemed arrogant all the times I have seen but at Birmingham this year she was different and fair play to her for changing.

But I personally HATE her game and the sound she makes!

Venus on the other hand is taking the piss with her fans! Serena was playing on court 2 against Lino and Venus left early and I was walking around and saw her and she was walking, no one else noticed her and I said 'Venus can you sign this for me' and she gave a faint smile and said 'hey' and I said 'please venus' and she said 'I cant' and I was thinking - why is your arm broken - no, so why say you cant?

Then after she and Serena won against Keothavong and Curran, on the TV you saw Serena sign why Venus walked straight past :o

Monica_Rules
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:34 PM
I like Maria, of the top players now shes probably my fav but shes not my fav player, if you know what i mean.

I don't really understand why Maria is hated, but what most people who talk sense in this thread say seems to make sense. Jelousy, the media machine post wimbo 2004.

I'm not that fond of the williams or Justine but i can admire their games and their abilities. I think the reason i'm not fond of them is they come across as arrogent, and i know sometimes sportspeople are like that.

Maria always comes across as a nice likeable girl.

I think its the whole Seles thing again. When she 1st came onto tour people saw this ruthless tennis player they didn't see th great bubbly person she was, of course post sabbing everyone had a soft spot for Monica.

cnelson575
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:48 PM
I think she is right, 3 grand slam finals, 2 grand slam wins at Year End Championship Win, 15 titals and almost always reaching the quarters for 3 years and just turning 20. I think that is something very proud to be. She is dealing with her first sort of out of form phase which almost all players do. Once she gets past it she will only get better. I do not think Sharapova has peaked yet at all.

frontier
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:11 AM
I wonder what she will be saying at the end of the year about the shoulder if she keeps losing.its now six months and they still talk about the shoulder.if she is injured she should stay at home and heal instead of aggravating it.I kinda like pova when she plays other russians but i guess most people are annoyed by her father and the over hyping special by espn.
Her 2004 win is beginning to look like a flukish.

Dan23
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Mostly...

http://www.lucianogiustini.org/photoblog/others/b_13_sharapovawilliams68_getty.jpg
That sums it up for the most part....and all the attention that came with it. Taking the limelight from others. After that it was cut her down whenever possible.

ceiling_fan
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Speaking from firsthand hating, i used to dislike her because she used to make sly, arrogant comments.
Now she's gracious in defeat so kudos to her.
I think the hating will die down though, since she's been demolished by top players lately... i feel sorry for her though

ceiling_fan
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Speaking from firsthand hating, i used to dislike her because she used to make sly, arrogant comments.
I think the hating will die down though, since she's been demolished by top players lately... i feel sorry for her though

Zweli
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Because of her father Yuri and on court coaching when it is not allowed.Ijust love to see her ass waxed.Sorry Maria fans for hating on Maria but we have various reasons,same applies to the Williams haters,they have their reasons.I tell you what,Justine is the one i dislike most.

Edward.
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:33 AM

No she didn't. I honestly can't remember a single time Maria has made an arrogant comment.

Perhaps you need me to give you a dictionary definition of what "arrogant" really means?

auratobe
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:42 AM
There's not much to be said here. Her attitude is fine - I think most people have a dislike for her father and her sudden rise to fame, shown through the insane media.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Actually, I like Maria quite a bit, though I know some of her fans don't believe (cough, cough, bellascarlet), but I think she's a very classy act and surprisingly mature for her age and able to articulate that maturity. Before I started posting on these boards, I was conflicted about her but I realized I hated what she REPRESENTED- the hype machine heaping an INORDINATE amount of praise on her waaaaaaaay too soon, simply because she fits an ideal marketing profile. To me, thats everything I hate about the media. But it's not fair to take it out on Maria- at least not entirely. I actually pull for her when one of my bigger faves isn't facing her.

I'm even more sympathetic towards Yuri these days- though I still think he's awfully belligerent. As a new Father to a baby girl myself, I have a much different take on the joy, pride and love he must feel at who his daughter's become.

Anyway, all top players have haters. Period. Maria should consider it a compliment. You can almost tell how truly threatening and successful a player is by how many haters they have :lol: :lol:

Invisible Fan
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:37 AM
[QUOTE=DOUBLEFIST;11133542]

Before I started posting on these boards, I was conflicted about her but I realized I hated what she REPRESENTED- the hype machine heaping an INORDINATE amount of praise on her waaaaaaaay too soon, simply because she fits an ideal marketing profile. To me, thats everything I hate about the media. But it's not fair to take it out on Maria- at least not entirely. I actually pull for her when one of my bigger faves isn't facing her.

I wonder if they will do the same if Ivanovic or Vaidisova won Wimbledon this year?
They are quite similar to Maria in many ways.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 5th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Before I started posting on these boards, I was conflicted about her but I realized I hated what she REPRESENTED- the hype machine heaping an INORDINATE amount of praise on her waaaaaaaay too soon, simply because she fits an ideal marketing profile. To me, thats everything I hate about the media. But it's not fair to take it out on Maria- at least not entirely. I actually pull for her when one of my bigger faves isn't facing her.

I wonder if they will do the same if Ivanovic or Vaidisova won Wimbledon this year?
They are quite similar to Maria in many ways.

That's the thing. See, Vaidisova has already said she's not interested in all of that marketing and hype. Ivanovic on the other hand..., I think she's a marketing juggernaut(sp) waiting to happen.

switz
Jul 5th, 2007, 02:10 AM

i'm not the one making generalisations. i'm the one pointing out how inaccurate they are. thanks for proving that you're incapable of grasping that concept though ;)

Bruno71
Jul 5th, 2007, 02:10 AM
I mean what has she done??She's always gracious in defeat,crediting her oppenents;never says anything arrogant or cocky or makes sly underhanded remarks/disses(like a certain player).She's funny and has a great postive outlook.
Even after she got her ass handed to her on centre court,she stayed and signed autographs!(after venus walked right past the kids and fans).I truly dont understand why people STRONGLY dislike her(she you're not gonna like evryone but still that doesnt make you hate them).People like Justine,Serena,Venus(more when younger),Jankovic i can see things that could bug people but maria??? Is it because at one point or another she has beaten ur faves(and to some several times in a row) or the grunts??Just look at this article,she's so ,ughh i dont kno,jus a good rolemodel

Maybe people can't see why you think these players you mentioned are more "hatable" than Maria too. I could come up with some examples why I've had a distaste for Maria in the past, but really, what good would that do anybody? If you wanna know why people don't like her, read what they say about her in other threads I guess.

goldenlox
Jul 5th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Give me some more pictures!! :bounce:

sweetpeas
Jul 5th, 2007, 02:25 AM
WHEN WILL WE STOP ACTING LIKE ""CHILDREN? THESE YOUNG TALENTED BEAUTIFUL LADIES MARIA SERENA VENUS HINGIS ,ARE LAUGHING ALL THE WAY TO THE BANkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk?jUST LET US SUPPORT THEM,RIGHT?

littlemermaid
Jul 5th, 2007, 09:58 AM

huh? Clijsters was considered a champion i suppose, and how many grand slams did she have? 1. Mauresmo? 2 grand slams. You should really try and make sense next time :lol:

CORIA01
Jul 5th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I am ok with her
she has never made bad comments on other players which is a good thing

Fidello
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:03 AM
i'm not the one making generalisations. i'm the one pointing out how inaccurate they are. thanks for proving that you're incapable of grasping that concept though ;)Your insinuations about Serbs are much more sinister than mine about gay people.

nhissan
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Mostly...

:lol:

you're hate is strong :/

acetoace
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:25 AM

Cut the BS already......you sound like a cry baby!! People hate on Venus & Serena because of their race, their combined steller accomplishments and the fact that they've beaten many fans faves mercilessly on several occasions. So, who the hell is Sharapova not to be hated on? Like someone said in this thread, all players have fans and haters. I do not hate Pova for getting lucky wins over my faves (which mostly were due to my faves just returning from injury at the time and were still finding their games); what I have issue with regards the shameful conduct she and her father displayed after the "inglorious" win over Serena at the 04 YEC despite knowing full well that she won due to Serena's injury. Since that day, she lost every iota of respect I could ever hold for any player period!!

How about the obnoxious shrieks? The worst on the tour and I detest it to the heavens; way over the top IMO.

And don't give me that nonsense about POVA being nice, juicy and all that. Who do you think you fooling?That is TOTAL garbage. Maria is a classless, arrogant, mean spirited and jealous bitch. She is a copycat with no originality whatsoever. Everthing Serena does she copies; to include Serena's lines at pressers. We all saw her behaviour when she came on the scene. Well, these days, after suffering several humble defeats, the pie she was forced to swallow obviously necessitated the recent minor change in her attitude toward other players particularly V & S. Notice how she went out of her way to compliment JJ after the wipping she received pre-Winbledon. Hmmm....call it a desperate PR ploy deployed to salvage a fast sinking image and you will be right on the money. Humble pie is a formidable antidote to arrogance you know!!

roarke
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Based on societal conditioning we all have our preferences, some people may like Maria and Justine and some may not! I love Venus period! Often times fans moan and groan about how their favorites are being treated by non-fans yet they themselves do the same things to other's favorites. I can't begin to speak about the number of times I hear hatred for my favorites being cloaked in words or comments like ugly, fat, arrogant, not committed, gives no credit to anyone, faker, cheater, gamesmanship, drag queen, manly, too muscular, to name a few. Sometimes they are even referred or likened to animals.

It is natural to like one player over another based on our preferences. What we can do is to respect each player and appreciate the game of tennis. I totally respect Justine's' game. She is an excellent tennis player but going as far as saying I like her, I can't do it. Maria has a good tennis game I admire her fight and how she never gives up on a point. Do I have to like her, No! I won't make nasty comments about either of them though win or lose.

I won't be a screaming fan of anyone except Venus and Serena when Venus is not playing. Pretty much I have ambivalent feelings to all other tennis players, I neither hate or like them but I love tennis so I will watch anyone on any given day play and I tend to root for the underdog in any match in which my favorites are not competing.

Warrior
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:12 PM
every player has fans and haters :shrug:

A better question would be: why so much hate?

littlemermaid
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:27 PM
A better question would be: why so much hate?

jealousy?

miffedmax
Jul 5th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I have never, ever, even remotely denied that I make fun of TOB solely because of the misery she inflicts on my beloved Lena D.

But it's supposed to be good natured teasing. I don't hate her. I don't get people who have nothing to do but insult tennis players and their fans just to be unpleasant.

But yeah, win a lot and people will hate. I think she also gets a lot of abuse because she gets as much endorsement action for being tall and blonde as she does for her tennis and that bugs people, as she's No.1 in endorsements but not the most accomplished player on the tour.

MK hamster
Jul 5th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Jealousy is the main reason... People dislike Maria, and have some pre-conceived ideas that she's a big-headed prima donna; which of course is totally wrong...
I just hopes she starts silencing her haters with her tennis racket... ( not literally... )

MakarovaFan
Jul 5th, 2007, 09:16 PM

Honestly,do you really need examples;first off the way she acted during her first say 3-4 years on Tour was ridiculous(, true i "forgave" Anna K,so i shouldnt hold it against her) but she has matured.STILL her "infamous" line whenever she loses:"They played the match of their lives" or b "I played at 20%".Then her continually saying how at her best she has no competition and her sly disses when asked about players basically brushing them off and sometimes belittling(?)them.Then her excuses when losing,her(and her daddy) "everyone is against me" "ive had to struggle for everything""me being african american..." etc.Her in your face stares and first pumps,verbally badmouthing players(loit,hantuchova more "recent"examples).Rarely ever giving credit AND when she does it is ALWAYS followed by something about how she played disastrously,blah blah etc;had no right to lose etc(basically negating her previous credit to her oppenents)

Sure players should be confident(and believe they are the best) but there was better ways to go about it.Sure players and pump their fists and shout "cmon,allez,vamos" but again better ways to do so.MANY players have had to struggle and their lives havnt been easy.

MakarovaFan
Jul 5th, 2007, 09:21 PM

Time and time again by the Williams sisters???......um not by Venus,thanks;if i recall she just beat venus in Miami

MakarovaFan
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:21 PM

OVERRATED???: 2 Grand Slams,Another Slam Final,MANY Tier 1 Wins,YEC Winner,Beaten EVERY top player(all but Mauresmo)more than once!,World No.1 atleast two seperate occasions,Even had her own mini domination(only player since Maybe Lindsay's 04 summer run to have a "real' win streak):between San Diego and Oz final she was like 32-2!!!!!!with like 18 wins in row ALL IN HER TEENS!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONE DIMENSIONAL??:First why change something that works for you?? Look at Lindsay,Monica,hell Venus and Serena up until 3-4 years ago....all great at what they do,but also one dimensional.Ive seen Maria take off pace and use short angles,use great touch,lobs even try slicing the ball.Clearly she's trying,she just turned 20!!!!!! When Venus and Serena were in their teens,what were they????(Now that's the true defination of one-dimensional!!!)

BORING???:Please,her personality you may not like,but sorry to say that doesn't make one boring!!She's cute,bubbly,witty,funny....may be ANNOYING,IRRITATING but not boring;and her game hardly boring(even without the grunts)

THOUGHTLESS??:Do you mean on court or offcourt.....because on court,until recently,she always has her gameplan;it may not be SEVERAL game plans but it's works for her(again until recently).She knows when to kick out her 2nd serve,when to angle a short off court,or drive it into the corner;when to play a drop shot....please come again

COPYCAT??:How so,her biggest claim is her heart and grit;something that can hardly be copied.Her intensity,hmm maybe a Seles;how penetrating strokes mayb a Lindsay?? dude come AGAIN!

MakarovaFan
Jul 6th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Maybe people can't see why you think these players you mentioned are more "hatable" than Maria too. I could come up with some examples why I've had a distaste for Maria in the past, but really, what good would that do anybody? If you wanna know why people don't like her, read what they say about her in other threads I guess.

Wow im racking up the posts.Anyway i never said I hated them.Most people on here seem to hate her for the same two reasons,TWO REASONS NOT HER FAULT:1 her dad 2 the media.So all THIS much hate is overboard.Now as for the others(some not my opinon but a general consensus)

Serena and Venus i posted above
Justine is considered a cheater,a cop out who doesnt want to admit defeat.Has very questionable tactics(coaching,injuries which OTHER "nice" players have even complanied of,stalling etc)
Jelena(her diva attitude,not being very humble and coming across to arrogant considering SHE JUST broke into the top,the whole makeup thing etc)
Hingis-kinda like V&S,her coming up as a youth and her subsequent actions left such a bad taste in many that it's hard to forget(though since her "comeback'i ,amazingly,am a fan)
Vaidisova-Bratty,bitchy and sometimes rude
Capriati-love her BUT her bad attitude,rudeness,Cheating(again not fessing up when needs to)

Seles,Davenport,Clijsters,Ivanovic should have no "reasonable" hate,just personal if any

Dan23
Jul 6th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Cut the BS already......you sound like a cry baby!! People hate on Venus & Serena because of their race, their combined steller accomplishments and the fact that they've beaten many fans faves mercilessly on several occasions. So, who the hell is Sharapova not to be hated on? Like someone said in this thread, all players have fans and haters. I do not hate Pova for getting lucky wins over my faves (which mostly were due to my faves just returning from injury at the time and were still finding their games); what I have issue with regards the shameful conduct she and her father displayed after the "inglorious" win over Serena at the 04 YEC despite knowing full well that she won due to Serena's injury. Since that day, she lost every iota of respect I could ever hold for any player period!!

How about the obnoxious shrieks? The worst on the tour and I detest it to the heavens; way over the top IMO.

And don't give me that nonsense about POVA being nice, juicy and all that. Who do you think you fooling?That is TOTAL garbage. Maria is a classless, arrogant, mean spirited and jealous bitch. She is a copycat with no originality whatsoever. Everthing Serena does she copies; to include Serena's lines at pressers. We all saw her behaviour when she came on the scene. Well, these days, after suffering several humble defeats, the pie she was forced to swallow obviously necessitated the recent minor change in her attitude toward other players particularly V & S. Notice how she went out of her way to compliment JJ after the wipping she received pre-Winbledon. Hmmm....call it a desperate PR ploy deployed to salvage a fast sinking image and you will be right on the money. Humble pie is a formidable antidote to arrogance you know!!
Are you competing with DementievaGuts or whatever he is for the most uninformed, childish, ridiculous poster on the forum?

Jakeev
Jul 6th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Some people on this board are so pathetic. I dont think they like tennis, they like making fun of people they hate and building up their favourites.

They have very short memories, some of their favourites were injured or not playing well too long ago.

But it's not just Maria that gets picked on. Serena and Venus get it constantly and people say pretty crappy things about Justine also.

It gets to the point after being on this board awhile you just stop arguing and ignore the posts.

If everyone would just ignore what the haters have to say the threads would disappear rapidly.........but we are all masochists that aint gonna happen:lol:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 6th, 2007, 01:32 AM
Well... if you're a 6' 2" sexy siren with long, gold hair, pretty face and a body to kill for, coupled with two Grand Slam wins and multi-million dollar endorsements, who wouldn't want to hate you? :lol:

It's called "The Balance" - some will like and love you, others despise and hate you.

serenafan08
Jul 6th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Every player has haters - no matter how good or bad they are. I'm so sick of how Maria fans think she's exempt from all the criticism and skepticism that comes with being a top player. The sole reason she has the status she does is because she's a tall blonde skinny girl that men find attractive. Most of these men are executives at big name companies, so they see her as a great marketing tool, and it's worked. If you ask people who never watch tennis if they know of any tennis players, the first name to come out of their mouth is Maria Sharapova. There are plenty of players who have a better resume than she does. Nevermind the fact that she has yet to win a title this year - and hasn't won a title since Linz last year. Yet it's her face that we see everywhere. It's what the media does. They find their "golden girl" and market her. When that happens, hatred comes along with it. Everybody deals with it, and Maria had better learn how to otherwise her professional career won't last long.

dwynn10
Jul 6th, 2007, 02:05 AM
I mean what has she done??She's always gracious in defeat,crediting her oppenents;never says anything arrogant or cocky or makes sly underhanded remarks/disses(like a certain player).

Hate is probably too strong a word, as least as far as I'm concerned. Dislike is more like it, the reason for which partly includes: 1) her banshee shrieks which show a total disregard for her opponents and fans; 2) her needlessly ruthless demeanor on court (she turned her back on Golovin when the latter was down on the court); 3) her one-dimensional game; 4) her Svengali-like dad who kept giving his daughters instructions on court when he wasn't supposed to; and 5) my puzzlement over why she's considered so sexy. To me, she's just a lankly blonde with an average, pretty Russian face, nothing special.

Dan23
Jul 6th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Every player has haters - no matter how good or bad they are. I'm so sick of how Maria fans think she's exempt from all the criticism and skepticism that comes with being a top player. The sole reason she has the status she does is because she's a tall blonde skinny girl that men find attractive. Most of these men are executives at big name companies, so they see her as a great marketing tool, and it's worked. If you ask people who never watch tennis if they know of any tennis players, the first name to come out of their mouth is Maria Sharapova. There are plenty of players who have a better resume than she does. Nevermind the fact that she has yet to win a title this year - and hasn't won a title since Linz last year. Yet it's her face that we see everywhere. It's what the media does. They find their "golden girl" and market her. When that happens, hatred comes along with it. Everybody deals with it, and Maria had better learn how to otherwise her professional career won't last long.
You dont get it. Maria doesnt have a problem dealing with anything....its fans, some sections of the media and obsessives on here that have big problems to sort out. Maria worries about tennis.
There is no sole reason why Maria is popular and well renouned....the mix of being attractive, interesting and most importantly holding more big titles than 98% of the tour is what put together makes her arguably the biggest attraction in womens tennis.

mankind
Jul 6th, 2007, 03:05 AM
There is no sole reason why Maria is popular and well renouned....the mix of being attractive, interesting

:confused:

I beg to differ. She's only interesting to some because she has money. Pretty shallow way of being interesting.

Dan23
Jul 6th, 2007, 03:27 AM
:confused:

I beg to differ. She's only interesting to some because she has money. Pretty shallow way of being interesting.
How do you know that? Why would having money make her interesting anyway? :scratch:

mankind
Jul 6th, 2007, 03:39 AM
How do you know that? Why would having money make her interesting anyway? :scratch:

You know who she is because she is a top player (ie wealthy). There are plenty of interesting people in this world, Maria to me has a flat personality. What exactly is of interest? Reporters, etc always try to make out her childhood was so tough because she came from dark, cold Russia. In fact she was not there during the Chernobyl disaster as so many people like to report, she went to that Bollitieri's academy (one of the most expensive ones in USA) and look at her now. I'm not saying this is Maria's fault, I just think it's a little insensitive to the people in Russia who were there, and for the Russian players who actually stayed home and battled the conditions and ended up top players as well. They are interesting, and perhaps even more interesting.

Serenita
Jul 6th, 2007, 03:49 AM

Your evil :worship:

Pleasantville
Jul 6th, 2007, 03:52 AM
It's because Maria is beautiful and is the highest earning female athlete. Go Maria!!

Dan23
Jul 6th, 2007, 03:54 AM
You know who she is because she is a top player (ie wealthy). There are plenty of interesting people in this world, Maria to me has a flat personality. What exactly is of interest? Reporters, etc always try to make out her childhood was so tough because she came from dark, cold Russia. In fact she was not there during the Chernobyl disaster as so many people like to report, she went to that Bollitieri's academy (one of the most expensive ones in USA) and look at her now. I'm not saying this is Maria's fault, I just think it's a little insensitive to the people in Russia who were there, and for the Russian players who actually stayed home and battled the conditions and ended up top players as well. They are interesting, and perhaps even more interesting.
If the flag next to your name is correct then is this possibly partly why you'd dislike her?
What was she to do...at 7 y/o she doesnt have a lot of say in what happens. She made the best of what she could. I think she shows as much sensitivity towards Russia as she could in her situation, not knowing a huge deal about everyday life there but still keeping her views strongly about representing her country of birth.
Back to her being interesting or not....what would make a player interesting? We get more out of her than most in interviews and through her blog, always something for people to hate on and talk about.....different and sometimes unusual outfits. Not a lot more can be done in sport without grandstanding.

DefyingGravity
Jul 8th, 2007, 08:00 PM
It's because Maria is beautiful and is the highest earning female athlete. Go Maria!!

See. I'm about to start hating the child all over again because of her fans. Stop it, just stop it. Everyone, quit. Everyone has their own opinion, you can't change other people's minds by posting threads on a meaningless, non life changing thread.

Princeza
Jul 8th, 2007, 08:07 PM
overrated, one dimensional, boring, thoughtless, copycat

You made a great self analysis with your psy

SunriseSunset
Jul 8th, 2007, 08:25 PM
huh? Clijsters was considered a champion i suppose, and how many grand slams did she have? 1. Mauresmo? 2 grand slams. You should really try and make sense next time :lol:

If you cannot read, then nothing I write wil make sense to you. Fact.

PS. I never said ALL other Champions, I just said other champions- the Champions most remembered anyway. Those two haven't left behind FANTASTIC legacies either. If you want to compare Sharapova to them, go ahead, but it fits right in with my previous sarcasm that 2 isn't amazing, even when compared to 1.

SeaUrchin
Jul 8th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Because she hates everyone on the tour when she has to win matches.