PDA

View Full Version : Serena Interview:I Thought She Played A High Quality Game

John.
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:02 PM
S. Williams - 4 July
Wednesday, 4 July, 2007

Q. How would you describe the last set?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Uhm, I don't know. I haven't thought about it too much.

Q. How is your health? Did you feel a hundred percent?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Definitely not a hundred percent at all. Not at all.

Q. 90?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No. It was probably at 40 or 50 max.

Q. Was it at all about the foot or seemed like maybe your wrist was bothering you?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, my leg's doing better. In my last match I had fell and sprained my thumb so I can't really hit backhands.

Q. How much did your calf injury, how much better did it get from Monday to Tuesday?

SERENA WILLIAMS: My leg's doing really well. It's gotten a lot better. It's been doing a lot better. I mean, I'm still feeling a lot of pain, but with the taping that was done, all the treatment I've been doing, it's been doing a lot, lot better compared to the first day. Yesterday wasn't so good, but today is much better.

Q. What did you think of the quality of her game?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I thought she played a very high quality game. I thought she played probably some of her best tennis.

Q. The thumb happened when you fell with the calf injury or was it another point in the match?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, it happened in the third set and I fell. I felt it, but it just got worse, got really swollen, yeah.

Q. Your father said both he and the doctor said you shouldn't have gone out and played. Is that what he told you and why did you decide to go out?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I mean, I hate to not try. I feel like if I could have at least tried, then maybe I would be able to fight through it or maybe adrenaline would kick in and it would just get better. I think I would feel awful just not even trying.

Q. What's the difference playing Justine on grass compared to clay?

SERENA WILLIAMS: It's definitely a faster game on grass, you know, more winners. It was windy today, so I think we both had some errors.

Q. You always talk about how you feel like you can fight through anything. How frustrating is it to try to fight through today and to not be able to physically do it?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, it is a little bit frustrating, I mean, but I think considering I practically was hitting a one happened backhand, I couldn't have fought much more. Maybe if I could have made a shot here or there. But it was kind of hard to make a shot because, you know, my technique was totally different. My slice is good, but I don't slice that often. You know, just trying to whatever. I totally lost my thought.

Q. Are you going to be able to play doubles?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, I just withdrew from the doubles.

Q. What was the actual technique problems with trying to hit the backhand because of the thumb?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, like any what is the word I'm looking for? The contact, like when the ball hit my racquet, the contact vibrated to my hand and it hurt really bad. I was really just struggling to hit some backhands out there. You know, I was just fighting. I wasn't even sure if I was going to go out and play. To be honest, it was because it was hurting so bad in practice. I didn't even practice yesterday. I just thought, well, it was literally a last minute decision I would go out and play. I was almost able to do it.

Q. Are you amazed how well you played?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Considering my circumstances, my leg, and most of all having no backhand and no shot, I think I did pretty well. I think it's just if I'd have been healthy, I think I would have won, a hundred percent.

Q. Considering all the circumstances, could you use one word or phrase to describe this tournament for you?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't know. Normally I would say I ran into a little bit of bad luck because I got the calf issue, which I never felt, and then I slipped and sprained my hand. But, you know what, I don't think like that. I just think that maybe it was an unfortunate circumstance at the wrong time. Maybe if I would have been on my toes, I probably wouldn't have slipped and things probably would have turned out different. I just have to think like that.

Q. Do you think you can come back and win Wimbledon next year?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I'm always a competitor to win Wimbledon.

Q. Are you disappointed with some of the comments from some former players who said you were being overdramatic against Hantuchova? I think Michael Stich said something like that.

SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't really read the press. I do know the pain I was in. I mean, my career is actually more stellar than Michael Stich's, so he can say whatever he pleases. I'm really excited to say that because, I mean, I have never experienced that much pain. I've never been overdramatic in my whole career. I've always been a fighter and I've always fought through things my whole life. I've never taken a shot at him. So, I mean, I guess I would say that, too, but if I were in his position to hit on, to make fun of someone in my position, I would never say that, so...

Q. You came into Australia ranked in the 80s. You won a title. A major this year. Two quarterfinal finishes against arguably the most consistent player on the tour. Do you look at this as progress, or how do you assess so far your season?

SERENA WILLIAMS: You know, I can't be too disappointed yet. I obviously wanted to win here and I really felt like I was going to. But considering where I was last year, mentally and just everything, I should be proud of myself because I've really come a long way. I was really pretty much out of it last year. I was even 140 in the world and everyone had written me off. I mean, I don't it was just considering I'm even in the top 10 right now is really awesome. I still have another Grand Slam.

Q. You said it was a last minute decision to play. What factors went into making that decision?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, one of the doctors I wanted to see couldn't make it in time. It was like, What am I going to do? You can't keep waiting on 'em. I guess it's like, Okay, I guess I should go out there and see what happens. I think mainly that was the main factor (laughter). Yeah, I think that was the main factor really.

Q. What tournaments are you going to be playing this summer?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I'm scheduled for Cincinnati and the one after that, Stanford and L.A. I have a busy summer.

Q. What is your Fed Cup status now? Do you think you'll be healthy enough to show up?

SERENA WILLIAMS: You know what, I really want to. I had all desires to, so we'll see. I don't say that I can't show up. I think I'm going to get better. I think even one day, I'll feel better tomorrow. Each day I'll get better. I know it's only a couple days away, but I think I'll be okay.

Q. Do you think you lost to the eventual Wimbledon champion, or do you see your sister beating her?

SERENA WILLIAMS: The eventual Wimbledon champion I saw playing in their fourth round today, definitely.

GrandSlam05
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Justine was ok today, but it was by no means her best tennis today.

Hots4Safin
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Michael Stich :tape:

Love the eventual champion prediction. ;)

nhissan
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:08 PM
SERENA WILLIAMS: The eventual Wimbledon champion I saw playing in their fourth round today, definitely.

:angel:

Slutiana
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Michael Stich :tape:

Love the eventual champion prediction. ;)

its true though...venus will be determined to get to the final and get her own back for serena's last two loses to henin...although serena and henin were nice to each other..i doubt venus will show mercy to henin

kiwifan
my career is actually more stellar than Michael Stich's, so he can say whatever he pleases

DAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYUM!!! :devil:

end of story!!! :haha:

drez
who the F is michael stich?
After the dissappointing loss, lovin' Serena again!

V-MAC
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I wonder will she stay around to support Venus? ;)

Kunal
michael snitch....what a hogger

jbone_0307
I love her interviews especially the Michael Stich comment and the eventual Wimbledon champion. :haha: :lol:

jbone_0307
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Does anybody have an article or something on what he said??

mykarma
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:17 PM
S. Williams - 4 July
Wednesday, 4 July, 2007

Q. How would you describe the last set?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Uhm, I don't know. I haven't thought about it too much.

Q. 90?

Q. Was it at all about the foot or seemed like maybe your wrist was bothering you?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, my leg's doing better. In my last match I had fell and sprained my thumb so I can't really hit backhands.

Q. How much did your calf injury, how much better did it get from Monday to Tuesday?

SERENA WILLIAMS: My leg's doing really well. It's gotten a lot better. It's been doing a lot better. I mean, I'm still feeling a lot of pain, but with the taping that was done, all the treatment I've been doing, it's been doing a lot, lot better compared to the first day. Yesterday wasn't so good, but today is much better.

Q. What did you think of the quality of her game?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I thought she played a very high quality game. I thought she played probably some of her best tennis.

Q. The thumb happened when you fell with the calf injury or was it another point in the match?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, it happened in the third set and I fell. I felt it, but it just got worse, got really swollen, yeah.

Q. Your father said both he and the doctor said you shouldn't have gone out and played. Is that what he told you and why did you decide to go out?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I mean, I hate to not try. I feel like if I could have at least tried, then maybe I would be able to fight through it or maybe adrenaline would kick in and it would just get better. I think I would feel awful just not even trying.

Q. What's the difference playing Justine on grass compared to clay?

SERENA WILLIAMS: It's definitely a faster game on grass, you know, more winners. It was windy today, so I think we both had some errors.

Q. You always talk about how you feel like you can fight through anything. How frustrating is it to try to fight through today and to not be able to physically do it?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, it is a little bit frustrating, I mean, but I think considering I practically was hitting a one happened backhand, I couldn't have fought much more. Maybe if I could have made a shot here or there. But it was kind of hard to make a shot because, you know, my technique was totally different. My slice is good, but I don't slice that often. You know, just trying to whatever. I totally lost my thought.

Q. Are you going to be able to play doubles?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, I just withdrew from the doubles.

Q. What was the actual technique problems with trying to hit the backhand because of the thumb?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, like any what is the word I'm looking for? The contact, like when the ball hit my racquet, the contact vibrated to my hand and it hurt really bad. I was really just struggling to hit some backhands out there. You know, I was just fighting. I wasn't even sure if I was going to go out and play. To be honest, it was because it was hurting so bad in practice. I didn't even practice yesterday. I just thought, well, it was literally a last minute decision I would go out and play. I was almost able to do it.

Q. Are you amazed how well you played?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Considering my circumstances, my leg, and most of all having no backhand and no shot, I think I did pretty well. I think it's just if I'd have been healthy, I think I would have won, a hundred percent.

Q. Considering all the circumstances, could you use one word or phrase to describe this tournament for you?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't know. Normally I would say I ran into a little bit of bad luck because I got the calf issue, which I never felt, and then I slipped and sprained my hand. But, you know what, I don't think like that. I just think that maybe it was an unfortunate circumstance at the wrong time. Maybe if I would have been on my toes, I probably wouldn't have slipped and things probably would have turned out different. I just have to think like that.

Q. Do you think you can come back and win Wimbledon next year?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I'm always a competitor to win Wimbledon.

Q. Are you disappointed with some of the comments from some former players who said you were being overdramatic against Hantuchova? I think Michael Stich said something like that.

SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't really read the press. I do know the pain I was in. I mean, my career is actually more stellar than Michael Stich's, so he can say whatever he pleases. I'm really excited to say that because, I mean, I have never experienced that much pain. I've never been overdramatic in my whole career. I've always been a fighter and I've always fought through things my whole life. I've never taken a shot at him. So, I mean, I guess I would say that, too, but if I were in his position to hit on, to make fun of someone in my position, I would never say that, so...

Q. You came into Australia ranked in the 80s. You won a title. A major this year. Two quarterfinal finishes against arguably the most consistent player on the tour. Do you look at this as progress, or how do you assess so far your season?

SERENA WILLIAMS: You know, I can't be too disappointed yet. I obviously wanted to win here and I really felt like I was going to. But considering where I was last year, mentally and just everything, I should be proud of myself because I've really come a long way. I was really pretty much out of it last year. I was even 140 in the world and everyone had written me off. I mean, I don't it was just considering I'm even in the top 10 right now is really awesome. I still have another Grand Slam.

Q. You said it was a last minute decision to play. What factors went into making that decision?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, one of the doctors I wanted to see couldn't make it in time. It was like, What am I going to do? You can't keep waiting on 'em. I guess it's like, Okay, I guess I should go out there and see what happens. I think mainly that was the main factor (laughter). Yeah, I think that was the main factor really.

Q. What tournaments are you going to be playing this summer?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I'm scheduled for Cincinnati and the one after that, Stanford and L.A. I have a busy summer.

Q. What is your Fed Cup status now? Do you think you'll be healthy enough to show up?

SERENA WILLIAMS: You know what, I really want to. I had all desires to, so we'll see. I don't say that I can't show up. I think I'm going to get better. I think even one day, I'll feel better tomorrow. Each day I'll get better. I know it's only a couple days away, but I think I'll be okay.

Q. Do you think you lost to the eventual Wimbledon champion, or do you see your sister beating her?

Tell em baby girl. :worship::worship::worship:

Bijoux0021
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I love her interviews especially the Michael Stich comment and the eventual Wimbledon champion. :haha: :lol:
Me too. And what has this Michael Stich guy accomplished? Who the hell is he?

sharapovarulz1
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:18 PM
It's obvious she would say Venus lol But I think at this rate most people know it's going to be Justine...........or Kuznetsova lol

kelgers
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Who on earth is Michael Stitch?

John.
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Michael Stich Wimbledon Champion 1991

USO Finalist 1994
French Open Finalist 1996

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/33/Michael_Stich.jpg/236px-Michael_Stich.jpg

nozaroc
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Michal Stich wasn't the only one talking about overdramaticness for what it's worth. Also, I thought Mr. Williams said she had a tear in her calf, and now she says her leg was fine. The Wimbledon trainer who looked at her said there was no tear also.

"I think it's just if I'd have been healthy, I think I would have won, a hundred percent. "

And that is why I can't stand her. I respect her game, but can't stand her.

Donatello
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:24 PM

good to hear she's positive about the short-term future

Lulu.
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:26 PM

I'm sure Serena wont lose any sleep over you disliking her :lol:

Thanx4nothin
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:26 PM
It's obvious she would say Venus lol But I think at this rate most people know it's going to be Justine...........or Kuznetsova lol

Venus is a heavy favourite against Kuznetsova. I haven't read any comment of yours which has been free of bias or ignorance, sorry but it's true. Anyway well done Juju on the win and well done Serena on the fight...get better and win the US Open. :devil:

Bijoux0021
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Michael Stich Wimbledon Champion 1991

USO Finalist 1994
French Open Finalist 1996

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/33/Michael_Stich.jpg/236px-Michael_Stich.jpg
WOW! Very impressive tennis career! :rolleyes:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Michal Stich wasn't the only one talking about overdramaticness for what it's worth. Also, I thought Mr. Williams said she had a tear in her calf, and now she says her leg was fine. The Wimbledon trainer who looked at her said there was no tear also.

"I think it's just if I'd have been healthy, I think I would have won, a hundred percent. "

For someone who can't stand her, you sure do know a lot about what's going on with her ;)

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:36 PM

As far as grandslams, Serena has accomplished more in HALF a season than he has his entire career.

nozaroc
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I was paying attention when the announcers were talking.

iWill
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:45 PM

If she was healthy i honestly believe she would've won that match what really lost it for her IMO was not winning the first set because Justine knew the first set was crucial if she wanted to take Serena out also Serena doesnt hardly EVER lose if she wins the first set

also Justine mentally wasnt completely there she was there enough to get the win but if Serena had been 100% what she did today wouldnt have been enough IMO and Justine knows that as well as Serena

i'm completely not trying to discredit Justine because after this win i have gained a ton of respect for her but I have a feeling next time they meet she wont be so lucky

Elenarulez
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:45 PM

erm ... he won wimbledon :help:

jbone_0307
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Me too. And what has this Michael Stich guy accomplished? Who the hell is he?

I thought he was a commentator or something. :haha: :lol:

Cat's Pajamas
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:52 PM

yeah actually it is :o :weirdo:

Better than 99% of anyone who has ever played. That being said, I don't agree with him. Serena's pain looked genuine. Cramps can be extremely painful, you can't move :shrug:

Anyways, everything she said was good I guess except assuming Justine played her best :o

But according to Serena, anyone that beats her was at their best :rolleyes: :o

Natash.
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:57 PM
I'm confused. She said in her press conference that she injured her thump during her match against Dani but why was she smacking her leg then with the racket? :o So she had cramps, a micro tear(according to Richard), and a sprained thumb?

Jasmin
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:04 PM
She didn't say Venus or Justine.

cellophane
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Playing her best my ass. :tape:

Bitch is so typical...

Jasmin
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:07 PM
OMG...she sprain or hurt her thumb in the 3 set not the 2nd set where she got cramps.

wetfre
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:07 PM
She did look funny hitting her 2 handed backhand, it looked as almost the left hand was barely on it when she was hitting them. Those one hand slice didnt help to much today :(

dreamgoddess099
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Michal Stich wasn't the only one talking about overdramaticness for what it's worth. Thanks, but it's not worth much.

Also, I thought Mr. Williams said she had a tear in her calf,The press was pressing Richard for quotes, and he just told them what the doctor was saying at the time, the doctor said it could be worse than a just a cramp which could mean a tear.

Q. What kind of advice did you get from the doctor when you went in during the rain delay?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I got a lot of advice 'cause it could be more serious than I think ‑‑ he thought it could be more serious till we got some scans on it.

You know, for me, my career for me is still young, and I feel like I have a big future. He was worried about me ruining the future potentially. But at the same time, once we got everything in order, it looked pretty good.

and now she says her leg was fine.What the hell are you reading because that is not what she said. She clearly said her leg was doing better, but she still had a lot of pain. Now how did you get fine from that?

"I think it's just if I'd have been healthy, I think I would have won, a hundred percent. "Well considering she took the #1 player to 3 sets with a sprained thumb, sore calf, and sore hamstring, I'd say that if she would have been able to go for her backhands down the line and play the type of defense she normally plays, she probably won have won.

I can't stand your favs or respect there games but I'm sure that won't stop them from being your favs, likewise for me when it comes to Serena.

HippityHop
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Who on earth is Michael Stitch?

He's the gentleman :rolleyes: who Martina Navratilova dubbed the one slam wonder. :lol:

dreamgoddess099
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:12 PM
But according to Serena, anyone that beats her was at their best :rolleyes: :o

Well that's the way that player and their fans act whenever anyone does. Serena's just treating them the way they act.

Steffica Greles
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Serena's self-confessed hypochondriacal tendencies aside, whether Serena's great range of ailments are genuine are not, and that they may be, she will NOT be remembered for her litany of reasons why she was "40 or 50%" in that amount of years' time.

She will be remembered for her titles, and, factually, there have been all too few since 2003, relative to her generational phenomenon ability level.

Perhaps Serena should have a think about that. I want her to succeed.

Pureracket
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:46 PM

Bitch is so typical...
NEW LOW!

StarDuvallGrant
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:47 PM
:lol: Serena

nozaroc
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:03 PM
dreamgoddess099 said:

I can't stand your favs or respect there games but I'm sure that won't stop them from being your favs, likewise for me when it comes to Serena.

So true, so true. For the record, I don't believe Serena was being overly dramatic, I think she was in genuine pain and responded in a genuine manner on Monday. Mainly because she would have no motivation for doing so. She could beat Hantuchoka with one leg tied behind her back. Actually, she did. I was simply pointing out that singling out Michael, which is really the reporter's issue, isn't really fair.

I could be wrong about this, but I thought I heard the NBC anouncers say that Richard repeated it was a tear this morning as well. Oh well. It's academic now anyway.

My idea of 'fine' is when you can play on it. Not a lack of pain. But that may not be everyones. Pova still has shoulder issues and no one suggested that as a reason she got blown off the court. Although Serena's was more serious for sure. This is why on some prediction thread a couple of days ago, I said I wanted to see a healthy Serena go against Justine, so these questions and reactions wouldn't have to occur, but what're you going to do.

Stamp Paid
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Henin did play well, all things considered. She got tight towards the end, but she kept it together.

StarDuvallGrant
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:06 PM

Bitch is so typical...

Well what was it today then?

Jasmin
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Serena just won the AO in 07...not 03.:lol

thrust
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Michael Stitch, was a German player who won Wimbledon, I think, over Boris Becker. That was his only Slam win. He was supposed to be the new Becker, but never quite made it. Much like Anke Huber in relation to Steffi Graf.

GrafMariaPetraK
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:21 PM

Q. 90?

WHATEVER serena LOL

supergrunt
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Sharapova's been saying the same sh!t all year. :rolleyes: And Kim doesn't even paly anymore because she is so weak.

GABRIEL
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Serena's self-confessed hypochondriacal tendencies aside, whether Serena's great range of ailments are genuine are not, and that they may be, she will NOT be remembered for her litany of reasons why she was "40 or 50%" in that amount of years' time.

She will be remembered for her titles, and, factually, there have been all too few since 2003, relative to her generational phenomenon ability level.

Perhaps Serena should have a think about that. I want her to succeed.

totally agree with this :wavey:

GrafMariaPetraK
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Sharapova's been saying the same sh!t all year. :rolleyes: And Kim doesn't even paly anymore because she is so weak.:rolleyes: Sharapova is Gracious in defeat unlike some other players,Kim was weak ok thats your opinion:lol:

**Jelica**
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:29 AM
I just feel that Serena is implying that Justine played her best tennis, I was at 40% and injured, therefore Serena Williams is the better player.

Not really classy.

Diesel
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Great on point interview Serena :yeah:

Jasmin
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Funny..love it:lol:

treufreund
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Serena's fans in here focusing on Stich rather than admitting how, ONCE AGAIN she is UNGRACIOUS and ARROGANT in DEFEAT. Not a true champion whatsoever!

Stamp Paid
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Serena's fans in here focusing on Stich rather than admitting how, ONCE AGAIN she is UNGRACIOUS and ARROGANT in DEFEAT. Not a true champion whatsoever!;)

Craigy
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Serena's fans in here focusing on Stich rather than admitting how, ONCE AGAIN she is UNGRACIOUS and ARROGANT in DEFEAT. Not a true champion whatsoever!

I know, I mean how dare she say that she though Justine played a high quality game.
SO FUCKING RUDE! :weirdo:

Diesel
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:49 AM

Cahill and Mary Jo just sided with Serena on the Stich issue and Serena's comments regarding her fitness during the match. Ah, the power of Serena fans everywhere :lol:

frontier
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Justine is using some voodoo on Serena I dont think it will work on Venus that little boy is ever present at Serena's matches and Justine .When Justine lost in Miami he wasnt there Richard should take note of this little boy there is some hocus pocus going on.Serena needs to break this hex quickly.:fiery:

cheesestix
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:55 AM
I know, I mean how dare she say that she though Justine played a high quality game.
SO FUCKING RUDE! :weirdo:

I think it was more the "It was probably at 40 or 50 max." (about her own level of play) followed by "I thought she played probably some of her best tennis" (about Henin) that people don't care for. :rolleyes:

That's pretty much the normal response after she loses....she was well below her ability and her opponent played the match of her life. :rolleyes:

Erika_Angel
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Serena is deluded if she thinks Justine played anywhere near her best. Certainly Justine played well in some points of the match, particularly the beginning of the 3rd, however she was extremely ordinary in other parts of the match and made some really terrible errors towards the conclusion of the match.

This is, once again, another 'played the match of her life'; 'I played like absolute crap, 40% of my best. If I'd played my best I would have won' excuses from Serena. I'm really not surprised, it happens after every loss.
I really don't mind that Serena is very confident, but nobody plays their best all the time, and to suggest that Justine was at her very best, and Serena was at 30/40% and still made a match of it is ludicrous.

I have to say, reading Sharapova's interview (and yes I am a Sharapova fan), she was much more gracious in defeat; and she really did have the right to say she played terrible, but she didn't.

Meanwhile, why is this even a thread? Someone should start a thread when Serena loses and says "She was just the better player" - that might give us all something to talk about.

G1Player2
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:22 AM

You are one ignorant :weirdo: troll. Didn't Serena say JH played a quality match? Besides that, this is hypocritical coming from a JH fan. :rolleyes:

Bruno71
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:23 AM
I think it was more the "It was probably at 40 or 50 max." (about her own level of play) followed by "I thought she played probably some of her best tennis" (about Henin) that people don't care for. :rolleyes:

That's pretty much the normal response after she loses....she was well below her ability and her opponent played the match of her life. :rolleyes:

And in this case she was right about herself...she was well below her ability; and wrong about Justine...Justine was nowhere near her best. But for players who are out on court concentrating on their own game, I don't see it as that big a deal to not be able to nail the assessment of their opponent's game. She did acknowledge that the wind caused both of them to make errors they wouldn't otherwise make.

cheesestix
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:28 AM
You are one ignorant :weirdo: troll. Didn't Serena say JH played a quality match? Besides that, this is hypocritical coming from a JH fan. :rolleyes:

She followed that up by saying that Justine played some of her best tennis, after previously saying that she herself was only at 40-50%.

So, in her opinion, Justine at her best is just barely able to beat Serena at 40-50%?

cheesestix
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:32 AM
And in this case she was right about herself...she was well below her ability; and wrong about Justine...Justine was nowhere near her best. But for players who are out on court concentrating on their own game, I don't see it as that big a deal to not be able to nail the assessment of their opponent's game. She did acknowledge that the wind caused both of them to make errors they wouldn't otherwise make.

So, knowing how good of a player Justine is, it's logical for Serena to think that Justine at her best is barely able to beat Serena at 40-50%?

Bruno71
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:38 AM
So, knowing how good of a player Justine is, it's logical for Serena to think that Justine at her best is barely able to beat Serena at 40-50%?

Well, she said some of Justine's best tennis...but what I truly think is it's actually not so much a player's obligation to correctly assess the level of play of their opponent. When Justine is asked these questions, she usually diplomatically says something like "I was just focussing on myself." I guess I just don't wanna make a big deal about it or read too much into it.

No Name Face
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:52 AM
so if serena said justine played shit, you justine fans would be happy? :weirdo:

love the interview, although i am sad that she lost. :sad:

Donatello
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Serena is deluded if she thinks Justine played anywhere near her best. Certainly Justine played well in some points of the match, particularly the beginning of the 3rd, however she was extremely ordinary in other parts of the match and made some really terrible errors towards the conclusion of the match.

This is, once again, another 'played the match of her life'; 'I played like absolute crap, 40% of my best. If I'd played my best I would have won' excuses from Serena. I'm really not surprised, it happens after every loss.

That always happens when someone plays Serena, she hits the ball quite hard at you and besides, the quality of the match was high, they were both tired.

Henin played super, you can just read her post match interview, she said it was physically and mentally challenging.

on the other hand, take what Serena says with a grain of salt, we should know by know she always comes up with percentages. But you can just rely on what you saw, Serena was giving it all.

*hingis_forever*
Jul 5th, 2007, 02:53 AM
As far as grandslams, Serena has accomplished more in HALF a season than he has his entire career.
So, for someone to have an opinion about Serena they have to have more grand slams than her? :rolleyes: Honestly, I agree with him. Yeah, cramps are painful, but she wasn't giving birth. Sometimes she just needs to calm the f*ck down. And I know Serena won't "lose sleep over my opinion" or whatever but she is so full of herself sometimes. I mean, saying "I definitely think I would of won had I of been 100%" is ridiculous and just plain unfair to Justine!

50Sense
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:01 AM
So, for someone to have an opinion about Serena they have to have more grand slams than her? :rolleyes: Honestly, I agree with him. Yeah, cramps are painful, but she wasn't giving birth. Sometimes she just needs to calm the f*ck down. And I know Serena won't "lose sleep over my opinion" or whatever but she is so full of herself sometimes. I mean, saying "I definitely think I would of won had I of been 100%" is ridiculous and just plain unfair to Justine!

...but probably the truth.

sweetpeas
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:15 AM
You know what,truly I don"t care what anyone think or say about Serena or VENUS.You can bet your ass,they will always fight till the end?They will never never leave their fan"s holding the Bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!You make me VERY VERY PROUD OF YOU,MS.SERENA WILLIAMS,DAM PROUD:kiss: :kiss: :wavey: :) LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:16 AM

Q. 90?

:spit: No way, Serena :lol:

The way she was running around the court chasing every ball, and making numerous big serves (with a couple of aces to boot), I guess it's about 75-80%.

If she only 40-50% fit, the game would have been over in 2 sets... :help:

vettipooh
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:19 AM

Rings a loud bell, doesn't it??:rolleyes: Justine at AO '06 vs Momo???
At least Serena is not a quitter...she finished the match. She could have used such a severe leg cramp and sprained thumb to get out of playing Justine, but she's not a coward.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

franklinbouvier
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:32 AM
If Serena had been only 40-50% fit she wouldn't have played.
She also wouldn't have taken it to three sets.
She's talking nonsense.
End of.

G1Player2
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:44 AM
it should have been. interesting that it wasn't.
and yes she's giving in to hyperbole here. I'd say she was abut 60%. She might have been running but her backhand was compromised. she was deprived of her 2nd biggest weapon. Yet it still went 3 sets. interesting.

I thought it was the fact that she didn't want to put pressure on her leg which is why she wouldn't accelerate through that backhand at first until I realized it was her wrist. I also remember her running around a couple backhands to hit a forehand. She never does that.

moby
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Serena also thinks her (own) slice is good.

That basically tells us about the credibility of her statements.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:00 AM

:lol: Confusing, but excellent reply :worship:

Serena :hug:

jbone_0307
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:07 AM
I give Serena the benefit of the doubt because only she, herself, knows her full potential. How do others know that Serena was not at 40-50%? I would say that is reasonable because her movement was somewhat hampered and she could barely drive two backhands in a row to her opponent. I've never seen her use the slice and much as she did today. I don't know how she allowed Justine to win as many service games with that horrible serve percentage. 100% Serena- 2007 Aus. Open Final would have blown her off the court. Serena should have just gone for broke because she obviously couldn't have kept up with Justine in the movement department, so Justine was winning the majority of points that were long. She's so nimble. Serena- take the hardcourt season off and work on your fitness. You are still 10-15 lbs heavier than you should be. She needs to get down to 2001-2002 figure.

MistyGrey
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Classic Williams fan stuff!
First they dont know who Michael Stitch is, then they have to go on and insult his tennis career! :help::tape::haha:

pka_liloo
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:30 AM
:lol: Confusing, but excellent reply :worship:

Serena :hug:

hmm.. what's so confusing about that?? :confused: she clearly said "fourth round"..

Brooks.
Jul 5th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Justine fans = pathetic

well it's not really that shocking considering you would have to be pretty pathetic to root for someone like Justine

Petersmiler
Jul 5th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Justine fans = pathetic

well it's not really that shocking considering you would have to be pretty pathetic to root for someone like Justine

Way to go and generalise.

How come it's ok for you to do that?

DimaDinosaur
Jul 5th, 2007, 09:38 AM
ohhhhh serena brought it Michael Stitch!! :rocker:

DimaDinosaur
Jul 5th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Justine fans = pathetic

gosh, with comments like that your family must be embarrassed that they are blood-related to you....... :o