PDA

View Full Version : Serena completed a full three-setter, therefore she was not significantly injured.

GoDominique
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Because when you are injured, you can't play three sets of tennis on Wimbledon Centre Court against the no.1 ranked player.

darrinbaker00
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:10 PM
If you're well enough to start and finish a match, you're well enough to win it, and Serena didn't. Justine played better ball today, period.

sammy01
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:15 PM
i dont think the calf was a problem but the left thumb ment she played the most single handed slice i ever seen but she played the match and finished it so credit to her and credit to justine for winning it!

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Yeah, Justine played great credit to her. However, had Serena been able to effectively hit backhands there MAY have been a different outcome. One must not ignore that Serena wa slightly hampered

The Crow
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:18 PM
You can be injured, even be hampered by an injury, and still play a three setter. However, Serena must have genuinly thought she had a chance, despite the injury, or she wouldn't have continued fighting like she did.

John.
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Serena was injured. You are deluding yourself if you can't admit it. You just had to watch her hitting a backhand.

That said, Juju played well.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:21 PM
She did the same thing against Hantochova...you mean to tell me she wasnt injured then either?

-VSR-
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Bulllllshit. Serena-backhand=injured.

winone23
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:23 PM
It just boils dowm to the fact that Justine played well and Serena was hampered by her injuries.

Blackbeat
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:25 PM
well injured playing is oki...iif u are injured it hurts, sure, but if u want to play, u´ll playing with the hurts...

PatrickRyan
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Serena would not pull out of the match because of a thumb injury, but that doesn't mean that it didn't affect her play.

cellophane
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:31 PM
:lol: at "Justine played well"...

HippityHop
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:42 PM
It's just that Serena will not quit in a grand slam. But then again, no great champion would quit in a slam. :)

jujufreak
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:43 PM
:lol: at "Justine played well"...

:confused: didn't she?

John.
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:44 PM
It's just that Serena will not quit in a grand slam. But then again, no great champion would quit in a slam. :)

:lol: Of course they wouldn't ;)

The Crow
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:46 PM

Yeah come on let the stabs continue, I hadn't heard this one before today.

I must say I'm really disgusted with GM today. Justine has done nothing except for dugging out an important match and all we get is crap. Pathetic.

bandabou
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Hmmm..not injured..maybe hampered?? But still not taking anything away from Justine.

thomas.chung
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:58 PM
What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger. Look at how Maria is now a bitch of the Williams sisters (with Maria winning 2 significant matches in Wimbledon 04 and YEC 04 before 2005 set in). It is only a matter of time before Serena and Venus become stronger and start beating Henin.

Steff_forever
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Serena fought up to the end and :worship: for that. If she would have been injured she would have stopped it ...

Today Juju was the better player - next time maybe it's Serena again...

Apoleb
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:59 PM
She was chasing so many balls at the end of the third. Hell, she even slipped and got back to a ball way far from her. It definitely affected her, but I still think she put up a good performance that would've taken anybody besides Justine. It really wasn't that different from her performance in earlier rounds, and possibly better. :shrug:

dreamgoddess099
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:04 PM

Preach.:worship: Serena had a worse injury than Justine had in AO 06 and still kept fighting and did not give up or concede. Proves which one has the stronger character.

tobe
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Because when you are injured, you can't play three sets of tennis on Wimbledon Centre Court against the no.1 ranked player.

You know that, I know that, everyone else knows that....just some sore losers can't get along with the fact that their fav lost, so they have to keep up excuses to feel better....as usual;)

kiwifan
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Just the fact that you haters feel the need to start threads about Serena's injury speaks volumes. :nerner:

Kunal
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:10 PM
serena has been really unlucky with her injuries coming at the wrong time.....this thumb thing really deprived her of playing 100%

if she was infact fit....she would have definitely won the match

having said that credit to justine....i hope venus beats her

Smackie
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Personally, I think Serena is hampered by her injury BUT whose fault was it? 'Injury' is not a third person who joined the tournement and tripped Serena at every opportunity. At the end of the day, she couldn't keep up with the demand and her body let her down. Just like Justine's 'burn-out' few years ago. No one's fault but hers.

Also, I don't think Justine played well today, at all. Serves were not good at all. Fortunately, she served well when it mattered.

Well, that's what happens when you play Serena. Champion will always be champion and most of the time on;y another champion can beat a champion.

I hope she gets well soon as she is defo the most watchable player on tour - in my humble opinion.

Nemo_Kool
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:27 PM
omd...wat is with u lot...serena was clearly injured, the backhand was not THERE...im not taking the victory away from Justine because she played great are strokes are brilliant and she ran down every single ball which against any other player would have been a winner...having said that serena played very good considering wat was ailing her and i think simply her will and fight took it to 3 sets.

supergrunt
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:33 PM
That's because Serena is not a quiter like some of these other players who shall remain nameless. She would have died on the court before she retired.

Demska
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Those slices were because she was injured? :lol:

I thought she was trying to play grass court tennis rather than ball bashing. Then again, those slices were appaling, injury free or not. And it's not as if every backhand was a slice, she hit some back hand power hungry return winners and groundstrokes, suggesting she isn't injured, as Justine was too good.

fawnrc
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:54 PM
She was clearly injured and Justine clearly won. It is really not that difficult to understand. It sounds like most people are giving credit where credit is due "to Justine". I guess that is not good enough.

Everyone should say that Justine beat the snot out of Serena when she was playing her best, is that a more accurate analysis?

"Topaz"
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Here is Serena's answer to this:
Considering my circumstances, my leg, and most of all having no backhand and no shot, I think I did pretty well. I think it's just if I'd have been healthy, I think I would have won, a hundred percent. Translation: she was injured but not significantly enough to stay home or quit halfway through.

Diesel
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:58 PM
She was clearly injured and Justine clearly won. It is really not that difficult to understand. It sounds like most people are giving credit where credit is due "to Justine". I guess that is not good enough.

Everyone should say that Justine beat the snot out of Serena when she was playing her best, is that a more accurate analysis?

You've got the picture :yeah:

:lol:

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:00 PM

Thank you...that wraps it up right there.....and NO Justine did not beat the snot out of serena..she actually played poorly too...dont believe look back at some of the topics where her FANS were commenting on it..so any of them that come on here LYING saying that she did....SHE DIDNT. Justine played well enough to get by...and Serena (with her own mistakes) played decent tennis despite her injuries.

Jericho
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:01 PM

ummm ... Venus Wimbledon 03' Final :wavey:

not being able to play for 6 months after that, i'd call that serious ;)

Andrew Laeddis
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Those slices were because she was injured? :lol:

I thought she was trying to play grass court tennis rather than ball bashing. Then again, those slices were appaling, injury free or not. And it's not as if every backhand was a slice, she hit some back hand power hungry return winners and groundstrokes, suggesting she isn't injured, as Justine was too good.

serena does use that many backhand slices on any surfaces and especially not in her two wimbledon victories. there was obviously something wrong just like a atch venus played at the end of last year when she couldnt hit a two hander because of her wrist and kept hitting slices.

Ryan
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I would definately say that Serena had a niggling injury that affected her backhands, but IMO it was not significant enough to dramatically influence the match. It wasn't her right hand, yet her slices were still horrendous and Justine did everything possible to take advantage of them. I think overall both players played fairly well - a competitve three setter with lots of great points. Congrats to Justine, definately a good change to win it all if she serves better. Im sure Serena will be back for the USO.

crucian77
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:19 PM
ummm ... Venus Wimbledon 03' Final :wavey:

not being able to play for 6 months after that, i'd call that serious ;)

I came in here to post about that.
I believe Serena also had her knee surgery after that three-set match.

dwynn10
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:27 PM
serena has been really unlucky with her injuries coming at the wrong time.....this thumb thing really deprived her of playing 100%

if she was infact fit....she would have definitely won the match

having said that credit to justine....i hope venus beats her

Excuses, excuses, excuses :rolleyes: Yawn.

HippityHop
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Yeah come on let the stabs continue, I hadn't heard this one before today.

I must say I'm really disgusted with GM today. Justine has done nothing except for dugging out an important match and all we get is crap. Pathetic.

Stab? What stab? Do you not agree that a champion will go to the mat in a slam? :confused:

HippityHop
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Here is Serena's answer to this:
Translation: she was injured but not significantly enough to stay home or quit halfway through.

Absolutely. And when you are playing someone of Justine's caliber, you have to be 100% to beat her. If you're not 100% you probably won't beat her. I suspect that anyone other than Serena or maybe Venus in that position would have lost to Justine in two sets.

Invisible Fan
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Lots of good posts in this thead.

But this "if Serena was fit she would beat Justine" stuff is getting almost comical.

To recap: at the French Justine's win doesn't count as a "real" win because Serena had some injury issue or didn't play well(!) or both I can't remember.

This one isn't a "real" win because of the calf thing (more plausible though I think).

Justine can only beat the player at the other end of the court, regardless of injuries or whatever.
Maybe by about 2012 Justine will beat her and it won't have an asterisk next to it :D

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:42 PM
I give all the credit to Justine for winning today. No doubt about it, Justine is an awesome player. With that said, Serena's play was not her usual style. She hit too many slice backhands, which totally got on my nerve. But hey, when a player is injured and wants to play you got to do what you got to do. Serena's BH on grass is one of the best shots in the game. She couldn't not use it today. I'm disappointed that Serena lost, but I'm glad that Venus won.

Thanx4nothin
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:59 PM
What is the difficulty in the two sets of fans accepting the facts.

Justine fans need to grasp the fact that Serena was innured and therefore unable to perform at her highest level..or anywehere near it actually.

Serena fans need to accept that injury or not, 1 legged, 2 legged, bucklegged, bowlegged or cross eyed Henin played better and won.

Bennguin1491
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Maybe by about 2012 Justine will beat her and it won't have an asterisk next to it :D

:lol: we can only hope.....

Onyxangel
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:05 AM
If you're well enough to start and finish a match, you're well enough to win it, and Serena didn't. Justine played better ball today, period.

:worship:

Onyxangel
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Preach.:worship: Serena had a worse injury than Justine had in AO 06 and still kept fighting and did not give up or concede. Proves which one has the stronger character.

Not if you use it as an excuse after you lose, it doesn't.

Lindsayfan32
Jul 5th, 2007, 02:25 AM

I agree with you. The injury may have been there with the fall she took the other night she must have been hurt. But I don't think it was serious as the Williams clan were making it out to be. Serena was moving too well for it to be serious.

So much for Serena's brag about winning the tournament and that she the best player going around.

:wavey:

SelesFan70
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Richard Williams is obviously prone to hyperbole. Him saying Serena had a "small tear" was over the top. If Serena had a muscle tear she would not have...could not have... played, period. She was obviously in pain that day, so anyone claiming she wasn't is just a fool. It was obvious her left hand was bothering her today.

At least she finished the match, though, unlike Justine did to Amelie in a FINAL! :tape:

Sam L
Jul 5th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Serena was injured but she didn't lose because she was injured. She lost because Justine played better.

hdfb
Jul 5th, 2007, 06:24 AM
One cannot deny that her backhand was not hindered. One can also not deny that said backhand was a factor in determining the outcome of the match. Simple as that. :)