PDA

View Full Version : With hindsight Serena's losses against Justine tells a lot about the Ausopen level

gopher
Jul 4th, 2007, 06:50 PM
...this year. If you see that Sharapova made it to the final there and that Kim Kleuters (=Dutch for toddlers :lol: ) made it to the semis there, it must have been really awful.
Serena who came directly from the Florida beaches probably did 5 sit-ups in preparation and won the whole thing easily to her own surprise.
The same Serena got spanked twice by Justine, one time on her favorite surface...

Tells it all of the current level of the WTA stars. all respect to Justine and in this tournament to Venus.

gopher
Jul 4th, 2007, 06:57 PM
bump

monicain
Jul 4th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Serena won Oz because of one obvious reason: Justine wasn't there!

goldenlox
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:01 PM
That broke Justine's streak. Last year, all 4 slam finals and winning the YEC.
Justine might have had a 2 year run of every major final, but her private life got complicated.

iWill
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:02 PM

well maybe next time she'll show up so Serena never wins another tourney again every time Justine wants she'll just enter any tourney Serena does so Serena never wins another title again in her whole career all because of Justine and maybe thats why she won all 20+ of her other titles cuz Justine wasnt there and oh yeah why she won Miami this year...........

oh my bad JUSTINE LOST TO SERENA THERE!

friendsita

yeah, yeah yeah! :lol: :lol: :lol:

mdterp01

:rolleyes: Then i guess I can say that Justine beat Serena for one obvious reason today? Serena wasn't 100%. Bottom line is that Justine wasn't there. Bottom line is that Serena lost today. PERIOD!!

Mikey B
yeh she must be pissed that she couldnt compete this year!!! she would have really been a favourite for the calendar slam...

cant look back though because if justine was playing sharapova wouldnt have been the number 1 seed, serena might not have been in the same section of the draw, she might have had to play justine in the first round or something, so you just dont know what would have happened had justine played the aussie open...

roelc
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:03 PM
it was 5 months ago :rolleyes:

how do you explain justine losing to serena in miami?
that must have been a lousy tournament too then :uhoh:

treufreund
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:05 PM
of course we all know that if justine had been there serena would have been toast

trufanjay
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Serena would have beaten any active player in that AO final. You guys are absolutely ridiculous :lol:

Stamp Paid
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Yeah, and if Serena has played the US Open 2003, Justine would have been toast.

:whogivesafuck:weirdo::

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Yeah, if your grandmother had wheels, she be a trolley car.

Get the logic?

But, let's look at this foolish notion for a second, to wit'...,

The first time Justine and Serena played this year SERENA won! Perhaps we could conclude that would be the result at AO as well.

As I recall, Juju didn't win her first tournament back. Since AO would have been her first tournament back, perhaps we could conclude the SAME result.

All things being equall, it's probably best to simply let the past stand on its on merits.

-VSR-
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Anyone who 'bumps' their own thread is a douchebag. :lol:

Mikey B
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Serena would have beaten any active player in that AO final. You guys are absolutely ridiculous :lol:

thats so true.. she was unstopable! justine, kim, even venus wouldnt have had a chance! but if justine would have played the whole event would have been different, its not like if a 8th or 9th seed doesnt turn up nothing in the draw really changes but the number 1 seed not playing would have really changed the draw, IMO...

goldenlox
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Justine isn't Maria. She has more serve variety she can slice she can volley and a great mover
Sharapova just hits hard and flat. If her serve is off, she can play crap.
Justine has a complete game, and that's why she's still in the Wimbledon draw

HippityHop
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:35 PM

Especially within seven minutes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ASV_FAN
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I'm not a fan of either player so I feel I can speak impartially. Serena won the Aussie by playing amazing tennis which exposed Sharapova's one-dimensional game. It doesn't matter that Justine wasn't there, Serena won by playing the sort of tennis that won her the rest of her slams. It's like the people who insist on judging Steffi's career by saying Monica was absent for numerous GS tourneys...you can't look at things that way otherwise you could discount a huge amount of achievement by lots of different players.

Justine rules on clay...end of conversation. Serena is her closest opponent on any surface but I can't even see Serena dislodging Justine as th Queen of clay in the years to come, Justine's game is just too suited to the surface.

As for grass there remains a question mark. I don't think Serena was anywhere near her absolute best today but argument is academic. Justine won the match and that's all that counts people; that's all that ever counts in tennis or any other sport. Despite Serena not playing the best tennis, Justine has pulverised her 1st 4 opponents and proved she is incredibly talented on this surface. However I think that the question of who is the best player of the two on grass as a surface will remain unanswered.

What can be said is that these two bring out the best in each other irrespective of the surface they play on. I think it can also be said that, at their best, Justine and Serena are the two best players on the tour at the moment. In fact I think they're the two best players of this century thus far.

So I think people need to stop making excuses for the fact that Serena lost and just accept this was Justine's day. I'm sure this won't be the last time that the two play and I'm certain that this debate will continue in the future.

Slutiana
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:49 PM

soo true:lol:

the funny thing is that serena beat this woman they call'juju' two months later when playing like sh!t :help:

Lulu.
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:56 PM
:zzz:

yicheng23
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I'm not a fan of either player so I feel I can speak impartially. Serena won the Aussie by playing amazing tennis which exposed Sharapova's one-dimensional game. It doesn't matter that Justine wasn't there, Serena won by playing the sort of tennis that won her the rest of her slams. It's like the people who insist on judging Steffi's career by saying Monica was absent for numerous GS tourneys...you can't look at things that way otherwise you could discount a huge amount of achievement by lots of different players.

Justine rules on clay...end of conversation. Serena is her closest opponent on any surface but I can't even see Serena dislodging Justine as th Queen of clay in the years to come, Justine's game is just too suited to the surface.

As for grass there remains a question mark. I don't think Serena was anywhere near her absolute best today but argument is academic. Justine won the match and that's all that counts people; that's all that ever counts in tennis or any other sport. Despite Serena not playing the best tennis, Justine has pulverised her 1st 4 opponents and proved she is incredibly talented on this surface. However I think that the question of who is the best player of the two on grass as a surface will remain unanswered.

What can be said is that these two bring out the best in each other irrespective of the surface they play on. I think it can also be said that, at their best, Justine and Serena are the two best players on the tour at the moment. In fact I think they're the two best players of this century thus far.

So I think people need to stop making excuses for the fact that Serena lost and just accept this was Justine's day. I'm sure this won't be the last time that the two play and I'm certain that this debate will continue in the future.

very well said!

goldenlox
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:02 PM
That's not well said. If Nadal isn't at the last 3 FO's, it effects the results.
Seles being stabbed effects the results.
Justine skipping the AO had an effect.

Just because you can't easily quantify what the effect was, doesn't mean you ignore it.
Serena played in each of the last 4 majors. She got past the QF once, when Justine wasn't there.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:07 PM

Justine was at Miami..and lost to Serena...what your excuse for that... some yall Justine fans better PRAY that she win wimbledon all this shit yall talkin...lol

Smackie
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Another thread which makes me scratch my head and wonders 'Why?'

ASV_FAN
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Ok goldenlox, I don't think Venus would've won 4 slams in 2 years if Davenport had been right on top of her game. I don't think Justine would've won US OPEN '03 if Jennifer hadn't choked. I don't think Novotna would've lost Wimbledon '93 if she hadn't choked.

Where do you draw the line? If Nadal hadn't been at last 3 FO's of course the results would've been affected but the bottom line is (to carry on using your example) he wasn't there. The player who won still would've beat everyone else in the draw and had to play the level of tennis required to win a GS tourney, regardless of whatever level that may be. All that history remembers is the name on the trophy...not the name of the next best player who didn't play for whatever reason.

I am sick to death of reading endless msgs on this board for the last eight years re: players who "wouldn't have won" for whatever reason or another. All that matters is they did and those who argue against that fact are just sore losers, usually motivated by the fact that their fave lost out for one reason or another.

hablo
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:19 PM
The same Serena got spanked twice by Justine, one time on her favorite surface...

Today was no beatdown or spanking.

MCM
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:27 PM

:worship:
I couldn't agree more. In my opinion, these two women are the most dynamic that the game(women's;) ) has to offer right now. I admire both in so many ways, and I get really pumped up in my own work thanks to the rush I get when I watch their matches.

Justine will always be my number 1, but I really value and respect what Serena brings to the game immensely. I don't think tennis will ever be the same for me without them!:)

Lulu.
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Today was no beatdown or spanking.

Excatly. Considering the circumstances Justine should of won in straight sets which she didn't

goldenlox
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Excatly. Considering the circumstances Justine should of won in straight sets which she didn't
Bullcrap. justine bageled Serena in Miami and had 2 mp's.
All that mattered here was winning the match.

DefyingGravity
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:35 PM
This is a question that will never have a definite answer...why do people try and say anything to say that Serena or Justine was better than the other. Justine will have 8 slams by the end of the year, and Serena will have 8. They're of equal talent, but choose to display it in different ways. Please...Serena still had to beat inform players like Jankovic, Vaidisova, and Sharapova up until that moment in the final. Justine in '03 Wimbledon and '04 Aussie beat inform players like Capriati and Clijsters. To say that if these two had played when the other was gone is ludicrous. They would've won their slam anyway, based on the form they produced to actually win it in the first place.

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:49 PM
IF Serena only won the AO because Justine wasn't there, then Justine wouldn't have won USO 03, AO 04 (Justine is the queen of clay, so I won't touch her FO wins) if Serena was there.

Slampova
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Serena?

:unsure:

switz
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:53 PM
that is untrue. The level Serena played in the final of the Australian Open was far superior to anything she or Justine have produced this year.

If she drew Justine before the final it may have been a different story but it's stupid to make retroactive assessments of tournaments based on more recent results.

goldenlox
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Even if she drew Justine in the final, Justine is not going to hit flat to Serena with a weak serve.
Justine has better court coverage than Maria, a variety of serves and spins, she can volley, and she is going to test Serena in ways Maria can't.

And after the last 2 majors, there's no doubt Justine can get on the court with anyone anywhere.