PDA

View Full Version : How does Venus' game go from absolute shit to great?

cellophane
Jul 4th, 2007, 06:46 PM
I don't get it. :lol:

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 4th, 2007, 06:48 PM
I dont know...but now that she is on..GREAT...I hope she stays there...she's almost playing like she did in 2005...;)

GoDominique
Jul 4th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Let's not forget that Maria is the perfect opponent for Venus on grass.

It would be much much tougher for her to look that good against Justine.

John.
Jul 4th, 2007, 06:56 PM
I think it's called the Centre Court

LoveFifteen
Jul 4th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Venus always seems to be able to up her game against the other 'celebs' on tour. She's really amazing. Very impressive stuff today.

razzponic
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Yeah she was so mediocre during her match prior to this. But she's almost perfect this time unlike Serena who's having a hard time fixing her footwork.

cellophane
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Yeah... I guess everyone likes to beat on Maria these days ( :tape: ), but still. Venus didn't play well in one match and shit in the next. She has been consistently shitty this Wimbledon prior to today. :lol:

Bijoux0021
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:14 PM
It's a real puzzle with Venus.

trufanjay
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:14 PM
That's why some of you need to think twice before writing Venus off.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:15 PM
It's the story of Venus' career. Up and down play. :shrug: But probably more importantly, she tends to play to the level of her opponent.

Infiniti2001
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:15 PM
It's the match up, and center court :shrug:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Centre court like someone else said in this thread. Venus two crappy matches were on the graveyard court, where she lost last year. Something about playing on Court 2 makes Venus play like crap.

HippityHop
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Don't you people get it? She's the fu*king Venus Williams. :lol:

Nabalonge
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Don't you people get it? She's the fu*king Venus Williams. :lol:

That she is.

V-MAC
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:23 PM
That's one of the best things about being a Venus fan - even when she plays some crap matches in a tournament, we know she still has the ability to suddenly turn on the style and blitz her opponents :)

hablo
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Venus simply put rocks when her game is on. :lol:

Anyhow her movement around the court is great. She got so many balls back in play that would have been winners against most players. Plus her serve was awesome; same with her return of serves. She was really focused and didn't make as many UEs as the previous rounds.

What a phenominal performance by Venus. Plus I love her intensity! :hatoff:

Tennisaddict
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Amazing isn´t it? I don´t get it either but I hope she can keep this form up because she will need it against Sveta.

Viktymise
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Venus always rises to the occasion at Wimbledon in the big match on centre ;)

-VSR-
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:27 PM
You know Venus wants it when she's diving onto the ground for a point. :lol:

V-MAC
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:30 PM
You know Venus wants it when she's diving onto the ground for a point. :lol:

That point was amazing. Even though she lost it, it was great to see Vee smile and stick out her tongue after she dived :lol:

HippityHop
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Now let's hope that Vee can carry this intensity the rest of the way.
I'm looking for a repeat of 2005. Serena AO champ. Venus Wimby champ!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

blamoh
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:05 PM
And Henin's camp should be worried indeed should in case she meets Venus
in the final.

vw.
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Plus I love her intensity! :hatoff:

I agree. I think her intensity was absoltuely great today. She was SO focused until the final point.

She has made all this waiting for weather and shit worth it!

Pasta-Na
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:30 PM
maria :o

VS Fan
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Venus has ALWAYS played rather lazy in the early rounds, which has caused several early exits from tourneys.

When she faces another marquee player she seems to step it up. (winning more than losing)

Don't know why she puts her fans through these tramas.

VS Fan
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Another observation... Venus game at "absolute shit" is enough to win against most players.

This says a lot!

venusdemilo
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I dunno but if she's gonna win Wimby again she'll need THIS form the rest of the way. :yeah:

DownTheLine21
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:46 PM
And Henin's camp should be worried indeed should in case she meets Venus
in the final.

Agreed. Unlike an injured Serena, a healthy Venus won't allow poor serving and third-set choking from Henin.

Thanx4nothin
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Venus' movement is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooo much better than Serena's these days that if she hits the ball as well as she did against Masha yesterday and serves as well...she can't be beaten on grass...not by Henin...not by Kuzzie...not by anyone...whether she can play that way is a fact known only unto herself.

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:53 PM
She's the f**king Venus Williams! My favorite quote ever! But I really hope Venus continues with this kind of play. It is her first top 10 win in a while right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I just wish she that was a Qtrfinal match. Venus still has to face a couple of tough opponents. I hope she can play well against Kuzy and then Ana/Vaidisova.

switz
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:55 PM
you would think people would be used to it by know. I seriously think a lot of people on this board having learning difficulties the way they wrote Venus off as ever being a contender.

Invisible Fan
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:46 AM
I'm possibly reading too much into this, but I think Serena and Venus REALLY step it up when they see Maria on the other side of the court.
Maybe cause Maria beat Serena a few times in 2004, or maybe she stole their wallets once or something.

But they seem so much more intense against her. If only Maria could find where she misplaced her ability to serve, she might be able to at least stop getting pummeled.

harloo
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Honestly, you just don't know what to expect from Venus these days. Wimbledon used to be her time to shine and I really don't feel anyone is better than her on the surface but she's been inconsistent this year. We all know that Venus can click anytime and become a force at Wimbledon and today she proved how good she can be there.

Who knows what will happen in the qtrs? Venus could come out showing great form like today or playing like crap like she did in her first two matches. She's unpredictable at this point but I sure do hope she can win this title taking it away from Justine. That would be sweet!!:)

Bruno71
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:07 AM
I would hesitate to call Venus' game "absolute shit" even against Morigami & Kudryavtseva. It certainly was many levels below what we saw yesterday, but she was still able to assert herself at times. You could see the goods were there, she just needed to gain the focus and play more consistently at that level. She did that yesterday.

Maria's game just feeds into Venus'. She can't outhit Venus because Venus has more power and far superior court movement and anticipation. Maria's poor level of play in the first set gave Venus the window of confidence she needed. When Venus' return game is clicking, someone like Maria even serving well just doesn't seem to have the answers. The only thing that she can do is hope Venus loses focus and makes errors. It didn't happen.

dreamgoddess099
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:13 AM
It's a real puzzle with Venus.

Understatement x 1873789783478579257287572. She can either knock your socks off, or make you piss your pants in anger from her ugly play. But for some reason center court at Wimbledon is magical for Venus, she plays her best tennis there. It's remains the place where her confidence is at it's highest. If only she could keep a piece of that court in her pocket when she plays every other tournament so she could play with the same confidence she plays with here.

Volcana
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:22 AM
but still. Venus didn't play well in one match and shit in the next. She has been consistently shitty this Wimbledon prior to today. :lol:For example, her second round match.

9 aces, +3 winners to UEs. Of course, if you actually watched the match, she was better than those mediocre stats indicate.

dreamgoddess099
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Maria's game just feeds into Venus'. She can't outhit Venus because Venus has more power
I'm not so sure about that. Maria currently weighs more than Venus, so she should have been able to put that extra weight behind her shots. She couldn't because she couldn't move to the ball in time enough to set up her shots like Venus could. It wasn't lack of power that lost her the match, it was her movement.

40-0
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Just proves out that Venus is awesome physically but her mind just wasnt there. Just happens when she goes that court, where she won her first. Maria's game is perfect match for Queen V.

Asmus
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:52 AM
I think that Venus' "poor play" earlier this year has been very overrated. She has been healthy and playing consistently since February. She played two tough three-setters against Jankovic on clay. She won a title. She had a tough three-set loss to Sharapova. Even when she lost to players like Golovin or Rezai, they consolidated the win by going deep into the tournament. I think that Venus' play this year has been akin to Serena's loss to Bammer earlier this year--Bammer having gone on to have a great year. So even though Venus struggled a bit at Wimbledon, it isn't like last year where she had so little match practice. It's more like 2005, where she was "struggling" all year (despite having many tight matches against top players) before winning Wimbledon.

dreamgoddess099
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:57 AM
I'm possibly reading too much into this, but I think Serena and Venus REALLY step it up when they see Maria on the other side of the court.
Maybe cause Maria beat Serena a few times in 2004, or maybe she stole their wallets once or something.

But they seem so much more intense against her. If only Maria could find where she misplaced her ability to serve, she might be able to at least stop getting pummeled.

Actually the sisters have done that quite often in the past against players that feel try to challenge them. I always knew Serena would zone in on Maria just like she does with every other player she's ever played. You may get a couple of wins in row against her, then suddenly she puts you on her radar and really tries to kill you. Guess who's next for her to zone in on? I already see it coming. You can only test Serena so many times before she lets the demon loose on you.

Bruno71
Jul 5th, 2007, 02:24 AM
I'm not so sure about that. Maria currently weighs more than Venus, so she should have been able to put that extra weight behind her shots. She couldn't because she couldn't move to the ball in time enough to set up her shots like Venus could. It wasn't lack of power that lost her the match, it was her movement.

Maria takes the ball very early, hits flat, and with great accuracy when she's on. It's the illusion of superior power. There are actually a lot of players on the tour who hit harder, but less effectively. There is no question in my mind that when Venus goes for her shots, she is more powerful than Maria.

cellophane
Jul 5th, 2007, 02:28 AM
you would think people would be used to it by know. I seriously think a lot of people on this board having learning difficulties the way they wrote Venus off as ever being a contender.

I didn't make the thread because I have no clue that Venus can suddenly play great. It's just strange.

G1Player2
Jul 5th, 2007, 02:29 AM
I didn't make the thread because I have no clue that Venus can suddenly play great. It's just strange.

Ahhh, shut-up cellophake. Are you still riding the high over Serena's loss due to the injury? That's the only reason you started this thread.

G1Player2
Jul 5th, 2007, 02:32 AM
Maria takes the ball very early, hits flat, and with great accuracy when she's on. It's the illusion of superior power. There are actually a lot of players on the tour who hit harder, but less effectively. There is no question in my mind that when Venus goes for her shots, she is more powerful than Maria.

Agreed. It's Maria's accuracy, positioning, tecnhique and how she takes the ball so early that makes it seem like she hits harder than she actually does. I actually think Maria's forehand is more harder struck than Venus though but I give the backhand edge to Venus. But Venus's movement today was :eek:

"Topaz"
Jul 5th, 2007, 02:41 AM
Many of you are amazed at Venus's performance today. I'm not. Check my post (#109) in another thread (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=306215&page=8"), two days before the match:
Venus in 2, based on psychology, not exactly mental strength.
Venus has a thing for Maria. Put another way, whenever Maria shows up across the net, something is triggered inside Venus that makes her play her game to its fullness. A good part of it is power feeding power and the better defender wins.

cellophane
Jul 5th, 2007, 02:41 AM
Ahhh, shut-up cellophake. Are you still riding the high over Serena's loss due to the injury? That's the only reason you started this thread.

So I guess now you are just posting retarded bullshit without any reason? :scratch:

Oh and for your information, yeah, I'm definitely enjoying the win, injury or not and what it brings out in the bitter delusional Serena fans. :lol:

G1Player2
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:42 AM
So I guess now you are just posting retarded bullshit without any reason? :scratch:

Oh and for your information, yeah, I'm definitely enjoying the win, injury or not and what it brings out in the bitter delusional Serena fans. :lol:

Bitter? :lol: Serena hit one backhand winner off of an injured left wrist and still had chances to win the match.

~Eclipsed~
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:44 AM
I think this is one of the things i'm starting to love most about Venus. She has to be one of thee most unpredictable players in any sport really. How someone can turn their game around so dramatically in the middle of a tournament is dumbfounding. Having said that, Maria's game did help elevate her. Maria is really turning into a Williams confidence builder.:lol:

mykarma
Jul 5th, 2007, 04:36 AM
I would hesitate to call Venus' game "absolute shit" even against Morigami & Kudryavtseva. It certainly was many levels below what we saw yesterday, but she was still able to assert herself at times. You could see the goods were there, she just needed to gain the focus and play more consistently at that level. She did that yesterday.

Maria's game just feeds into Venus'. She can't outhit Venus because Venus has more power and far superior court movement and anticipation. Maria's poor level of play in the first set gave Venus the window of confidence she needed. When Venus' return game is clicking, someone like Maria even serving well just doesn't seem to have the answers. The only thing that she can do is hope Venus loses focus and makes errors. It didn't happen.
You forgot to mention speed. That young lady can cover the court better than anyone on tour. She gets to balls that no one else can.

Come on Vee, take Wimbledon is yours:bounce::bounce::bounce:

V-fan
Jul 5th, 2007, 07:26 AM
That's why some of you need to think twice before writing Venus off.

Yes....This year I think most of the tennis commentators were a bit careful on writing Venus off...Navratilova was commentating this match on BBC and at the end she said she didn't expect Venus to play like that...That's was great to hear....

drummer girl
Jul 5th, 2007, 07:31 AM
This has happened before, Venus is a different player at Wimbly. She turns it on when she needs too. Sharapova was a danger so here comes SuperVenus!!

Personally i love it, you never know with her.

Kunal
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:04 AM
players of the calibre of venus are like that....they can turn it on sometimes to levels that we thought they could not get to once again....

i think it might be hard for other players to comprehend exactly what happens or what triggers this sudden form of a player like venus....im excited about her play right now..especially her serve, and i for one hope that she can really bring her A game in the nex match and possibly the finals.

Mightymirza
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:25 AM
shes been so streaky lately! hence lately her career has been like the way it is now! Some amazing runs and many disappointing losses!

Petersmiler
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:48 AM
She certainly had her game face on yesterday. I love it when she does that!

I agree with some of the other posters here, it's the match up and the court. Just like every other player plays their best against Justine or Serena or Venus, so Venus raises her game against certain opponents.

She had that face on when she beat Hingis last year, and I'm sure she'll have it on again should she meet Justine in the final.

And yes, I am worried for Justine if Venus is going to be on the other side of the court on Saturday!

Petersmiler
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:49 AM
She certainly had her game face on yesterday. I love it when she does that!

I agree with some of the other posters here, it's the match up and the court. Just like every other player plays their best against Justine or Serena or Venus, so Venus raises her game against certain opponents.

She had that face on when she beat Hingis last year, and I'm sure she'll have it on again should she meet Justine in the final.

And yes, I am worried for Justine if Venus is going to be on the other side of the court on Saturday!

Petersmiler
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:50 AM
LOL, I hate having to repeat myself!

Slutiana
Jul 5th, 2007, 09:01 AM

agreed. I think she is much more powerful than Maria...I think we all saw yday that venus slowed down her shots and was hitting at maria's pace..i repeat: slowed down her shots...everyone saw how consistent they were...like maria's shots when she's on...i hope venus has found out that she can play at that pace and still dominate most players...then, when she gets a short ball she can use venus power and its all over....

Larrybidd
Jul 5th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Bitter? :lol: Serena hit one backhand winner off of an injured left wrist and still had chances to win the match.

Not bitter at all. Venus is comming to talk to Juju. LOL.

Serena haters would have lost their minds if Serena had beaten Juju, with one wing, and it damn near happened. This after beating Dani on one leg! Boy the emergency calls would have been overwhelming EMS workers all over the world with Serena haters slitting their wrists.

cellophane
Jul 5th, 2007, 07:41 PM

Now you just hold on to that thought. :hug:

OMGZ... like totally an injured Serena almost beat Justine at her best. :lol: Does saying it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside? :tape:

cellophane
Jul 5th, 2007, 07:44 PM
This after beating Dani on one leg!

I know, totally. Serena was just clearly serving at 60 miles per hour in that last set, you know, not playing lights-out tennis.