PDA

View Full Version : Commentators say Bartoli's movement is distracting

kelgers
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Apparently, commentators think that when Marion receives a serve, she distracts her oppoent by dancing and moving "north, south, east, west". All I can see is just Marion moving up and down as she prepares to return. Heck, Maria even tries to put off her opponent by moving around the baseline when receiving her serve and that's not distracting?

jdyshrky
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:42 PM
She does step in a good metre on some second serves, and in front of the baseline on most first serves. If you play against a player doing that and they're doing that while they're jumping around it can be pretty distracting. Try doing it next time you're playing socially. There is absolutely nothing wrong about it and I wouldn't go as far to even call it gamesmanship I'd just say it's a way of forcing yourself to be as aggressive as you can be. For someone who movement isn't their forte then it's a great tactic.

BUBI
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Commentators are annoyed because they couldn't predict Marion going that far ;)

kelgers
Jul 4th, 2007, 07:45 PM
She does step in a good metre on some second serves, and in front of the baseline on most first serves. If you play against a player doing that and they're doing that while they're jumping around it can be pretty distracting. Try doing it next time you're playing socially. There is absolutely nothing wrong about it and I wouldn't go as far to even call it gamesmanship I'd just say it's a way of forcing yourself to be as aggressive as you can be. For someone who movement isn't their forte then it's a great tactic.

But Maria jumps around even more than Bartoli does!

tenn_ace
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:30 PM
just have balls and put Maria's name in the thread title. isn't it what it is all about?

kelgers
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:33 PM
just have balls and put Maria's name in the thread title. isn't it what it is all about?

No, it's not about her. I just think it's ridiculous and unfair that commentators attack Marion for something so minor whereas other players who may be doing the same thing aren't criticized.

UDACHi
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:36 PM
the server shouldn't be focusing on what the other player is doing when they serve.

LCS
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I alwasy step the line to receive first serves...let alone second serves...there's nothing wrogn about it..it's just a matter of reducing your opponents time of reaction for the second ball....

Serval
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Marion is imitating her idol Monica :bowdown:

markhingis
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:49 PM
She's funny. I've never seen her play before and found her behaviour very extraordinary. Jumping, getting closer to service line while receiving serve, that's her tactics. And it's good. Who'd have thought her in SF. It reminds me of Natalie Dechy SF run at AO 2004 or 2005.
I'd like to see Martina now in SF, she could've been there if there was no injury or whatever you call it ;)

goldenlox
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Marion is a unique player. And the next French #1

Vlad Tepes
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:56 PM
If you find her dancing around while waiting for her opponent's serve distracting, try watching her service motion! :tape:

Tylane
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I think Sharapova is much more distracting by the noise she makes when she screams ! It's horrible for the crowd too...

BartoliBabes
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:03 PM
the commentators didn't say that it was a distraction for marions opponents! some commentator asked sam if she thought that opponents would find her movements a little distracting and she said, 'no!' and actually laughed a lil bout it

égalité
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Please. Everyone does that.

mckyle.
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Wow, I guess Bartoli is gonna make it big soon because she's already getting a good amount of haters. :lol:

kelgers
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I don't hate Marion. Jeez. I'm just saying the commentators are not being fair at all.

Jakeev
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Considering I can name at least 30 players like that from past and present that has got to be one dumb-ass statement from a commentator.

What is up with these people?

sharapovarulz1
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:50 PM
They should just leave her alone....bless her!

Scotso
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:00 AM

No, they don't. The may sway slightly, but they don't bounce around. I haven't noticed this that much from Bartoli... but Henman does it a lot. Bouncing around trying to force a double fault. It was very classless, and made me want to hit him.

Matt01
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:00 AM
It's not only her movement which is distracting :devil:

;)

partbrit
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:02 AM
If you find her dancing around while waiting for her opponent's serve distracting, try watching her service motion!

Virginia Wade's advice to the opponent--"Just don't look at that."

Josh.
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:04 AM
judging on how good she returned against jelena, i would continue doing it

iPatty
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:12 AM
ok. she's definitely not the only one that does it.

it's nice to have something to do before each serve or return. it keeps you focused.

polishprodigy
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:15 AM

Yeah, you're right. Daniela Hantuchova does this little "shake it off" motion every time before she serves :p

HippityHop
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:41 AM
If she jumps her behind into a couple of 125 mph serves, I bet she'll stay her ass still then. :lol: :lol: