PDA

View Full Version : Mirjana Lucic latest

AaronJoyB
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:08 PM
Motive of departure - fianacial
After four tournament appearances and a lot of media attention for her comeback to the homeland, the story of Mirjana Lucic's comeback to the world's tennis is on hold for already a month and a half. The last tournament Lucic played was in the middle of May in Rome, soon after which a withdrawal from the Zagreb ITF happened, along with the surprise departure from Hvar that hosted her after her comeback to Croatia. Today we found out the reason of that surprise escape...
First news, later denied, said that she temporarily left with her family to play tournaments in the US, but it soon became clear that there's another reason. Today Lucic issued public announcement which states that the issue is financial, not having problems accusing mayor of Hvar, Pjerino Bebic, the man who offered and made possible for her and her family to live in "the sunny island" (how Hvar's called in Croatia), that he has cheated on her.
"I'm very sad because of the situation in which I currently am. Despite all the threats, warnings and advice of influential people not to come back, I knowingly and with my own will risked my life coming to Croatia, prooving how serious I am about my return to tennis. I've been promissed everything I need to return to the top.
Mr. Bebic cheated on me. When we started negotiations, I, Mirjana Lucic, offered him full refund of the money plus interests, cause I didn't want to take advantage of anyone. Mr. Bebic absolutely and definately declined that offer and asked from me only to promote Hvar, stating that my contract towards him is finalised and fulfilled. Mr. Bebic said that he's a businessman and aware that he's getting this commercial for a small money.
For this year Mr. Bebic prommised me one hundered thousand euros plus landed property in Hvar, and a suit in Park hotel to use while I'm in Hvar. Mr. Bebic gave me ten thousand euros donated by Mr. Ilija Naletilic, a Croatian businessman, after our first conversation while I was playing in Rome; with that, I assumed he's a serious man that wants to do serious business.
Mr. Bebic convinced me that the first part, forty thousand euros, will be payed out on my account the moment I land in Zagreb. That money never made it to my account, and when I asked when will it happen (cause I have to finance playing tournaments), Mr. Bebic answered that everything will be resolved tomorrow. That went on for weeks, and after all Mr. Bebic stopped returning my phone calls."
In the end, eventhough she repeatedly said that her past is behind her, she spoke of her past, remembering her fater Marinko and part of the family she escaped from, again: "My father's family promissed me that because I escaped from Croatia I'll never again play tennis and that no one in Croatia will help me. However, they forgot I'm a Lucic and that I will never give up. I am not asking charity from anyone, I just want a chance to get back to tennis. I hope someone in Croatia will be brave enough to stand up to "them" and help me."
How realistic all the segments of Mirjana's story are, judge for yourself. And about upcoming schedule, for now it's known that Lucic will have her next appearances with wildcards on three ITF tournaments, two in Italy and one in Austria.
---
As I said, there are more articles but more or less, they're all the same, so there's no need to translate them all. But, to be fair we have to quote Mr. Bebic as well, so here are some of the quotes from various articles.
---
"I am stunned and shocked. I don't understand anything. I was waiting for some e-mails with their confirmations regarding registry of a company, and they surprise me with this. Still, my offer stands, and I only ask (not demand, ask) from her to practice in Hvar, participate in the opening of kids' tennis camp and to work on getting a WTA tournament to Hvar. As far as money is concerned, in today's time you don't give 30 thousand euros to anyone for just anything, like I gave her. That's not a small thing. Besides, I promissed 70 thousand more, a hundered thousand in all. I also told her that she can get even more from sponsors, since they have simpathy for her life story and have convinced themselves on their own how willing she is to come back to the top of tennis."

"Nothing's defined yet, we comunicated over the phone and text messages and I'm not sure how our cooperation will end. I told her I'm ready to finance her and the tournaments, but not her family, because she's a reason why I went into this deal. Her sister became obstacles and it's hard to work like that. She only askes where's the money and when will it arrive. She talks about nothing else."

"Mirjana is lying! On monday evening I finally got her on the phone and explained that we've already invested 30 thousand euros in her. I think it's not necessary to repeat how disappointed we all are. I also never promissed her landed property. However I insisted to know the name of the coach to whom the money would be payed directly and we didn't get that, just like we didn't get the list of her planed tournaments. But, eventhough I'm disappointed with Mirjana's behaviour, I will continue cooperating with her."

from
www.sportnet.hr (http://www.sportnet.hr)

Freakan
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:24 PM
Mirjana seems not serious about coming back. How money does she want to play challengers? 100.000 euros? Give me a break. She's relying only on WC's instead of playing smaller events. What is more, she's still accusing everyone around her about cheating and stuff. I support her and wish her luck but don't see her coming back with this attitude of a 11 year old spoiled girl.

auntie janie
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:55 PM
What a drama; always a drama. :rolleyes: Mirjana's rank is high enough to get into plenty of challengers without needing a wild card, but she doesn't bother to enter any of them. What happened to those 3 tournaments she was supposed to play in the US? And now she runs back to Europe? If she can afford transatlantic plane fare for herself and her sister, she should be able to afford to drive to some challengers in the US, where she's living.

And her sister should GET A JOB instead of hanging around expecting to live on money she hopes will be handed to Mirjana.

"I am not asking charity from anyone" -- yes, you are.

"I'm a Lucic and that I will never give up" -- oh, spare me. :p Settle down in one country or the other, keep your mouth shut, and start entering every tournament in sight, even if you have to eat crackers and sleep in your car at first! In Croatia or in the US, it's the same: ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

tennismaster8820
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:12 PM
And her sister should GET A JOB instead of hanging around expecting to live on money she hopes will be handed to Mirjana.

"I'm a Lucic and that I will never give up" -- oh, spare me. :p Settle down in one country or the other, keep your mouth shut, and start entering every tournament in sight, even if you have to eat crackers and sleep in your car at first! In Croatia or in the US, it's the same: ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

I agree with all you've said!
I think her sister had such a big influence on her actions!

Slumpsova
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:14 PM
auntie janie :clap2:

Freakan
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:26 PM
That girls really has no brain at all - next challenger in Austria begins on 27th August and it's a 10k. She doesn't need a WC to play there, she can still enter it before the deadline and with her ranking she would probably be seeded in MD :help:

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:32 PM
:weirdo:

She's the new Dokic. :tape:

Get it together and play already, Mirjana.

Darop.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:33 PM
Dokic all over again.

*sigh*

Poova
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:35 PM
What a drama; always a drama. :rolleyes: Mirjana's rank is high enough to get into plenty of challengers without needing a wild card, but she doesn't bother to enter any of them. What happened to those 3 tournaments she was supposed to play in the US? And now she runs back to Europe? If she can afford transatlantic plane fare for herself and her sister, she should be able to afford to drive to some challengers in the US, where she's living.

:yeah: :bowdown:

Martian Willow
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:43 PM
The stuff about her sister doesn't surprise me at all. I suspect Mirjana could use some sort of counselling.

Gowza
Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:03 PM
can't say i'm that surprised, if you look at the news articles we've got since she came back, the ones before she had a ranking were all about getting a ranking so she could play all these challengers (she said she didn't care what level she played but that she just wanted to play), and the ones after she got a ranking have all been about money. meanwhile she's only been playing on wildcards, i don't think she's played one event in this comeback off her own ranking. i know some people were wondering why lucic was having so much trouble getting financial support for a comeback, well this is probably why. auntie janie as usual is quite often correct when it comes to lucic. it would be nice to see her back but as it is no one should be holding their breath.

polishprodigy
Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:04 PM
Why is she so afraid of going to Croatia? Because she is afraid her father will come after her?

I didn't realize that the only ITF tournaments are those in Croatia! :p

Jean-Pierre.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:05 PM
No one cares about Lucic. A one hit wonder.