PDA

View Full Version : Article: Rain may extend tournament

predrag
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:51 PM
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/wimbledon2007/story/0,,2117281,00.html

David Ornstein at Wimbledon
Tuesday July 3, 2007
The Guardian

The All England Club is facing the prospect of extending this year's Wimbledon fortnight into a third Monday for the first time in six years after downpours allowed only a handful of matches to be completed yesterday.

Following an opening week that was blighted by rain Andrew Jarrett, the tournament referee, declined to use the middle Sunday to clear a backlog of 90 matches. Jarrett instead scheduled 107 ties for yesterday, but 68 did not even start and just 26 matches were completed. Showers are now expected every day until Saturday, the scheduled day of the women's final.

Neither the men's nor women's draw has completed all the third-round ties while the doubles, mixed doubles and junior competitions are yet to have staged some first-round games.

Play has taken place only three times on the middle Sunday - in 1991, 1997 and 2004 - but in hindsight, with the women's final just four days away and the men's five, it seems that an opportunity may have been missed.

"On Saturday morning we were absolutely where we wanted to be from a singles point of view," said Jarrett. "Saturday itself was bad but it takes a long time to set up a middle Sunday here. I think we'd have needed to be in substantially worse shape to have gone for a middle Sunday."

Six nearby grass courts will be used today for junior games, and, with five matches scheduled on almost every Wimbledon court, the Referee's Office believe there is the potential for more matches to be played today than on any other day in Wimbledon history. The problem, of course, remains the weather.

Gerry Armstrong, the ATP Tour administrator, said: "Nobody can help the weather. There is going to be a backlog but we just do what we can. We're not too far behind with the singles but the problem comes when players are in three events [the singles, doubles and mixed doubles]. When that happens, and it has here, fiddling the matches in can be a bit of a logistical nightmare. We will do whatever we can to keep to schedule but it is always a possibility to take things over to next Monday."

ToeTag
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:55 PM
I hope it gets extended into Tuesday, with the women's final on Monday. That way the chicks will finally get to play in front a lively crowd, and not the corporate fucks that show up at finals.

sharapovarulz1
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:56 PM
Oh just great if they do that it means i am going to specifically miss both finals as i will be in work! DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruno71
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:58 PM
Well, sure it'll have to be extended if players don't play while it's not raining...like what's happening now. Ridiculous.

John.
The organisers should be ashamed of themselves. They knew it was going to be like this with the weather. If I was Nadal or one of the other men still waiting to complete my 3R match, I would be extremly pissed.

Yasmine
oh shocker :eek: :rolleyes:
I hope it gets extended into Tuesday, with the women's final on Monday. That way the chicks will finally get to play in front a lively crowd, and not the corporate fucks that show up at finals.
I have to say I would love for that to happen for that exact same reason :worship:

ToeTag
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:02 PM
Oh just great if they do that it means i am going to specifically miss both finals as i will be in work! DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what dvd recorders and/or unused sick days are for.;)

Gallofa
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
As long as they keep on schedule with the singles, they'll finish on time. They'll make people play 2 doubles matches on a day.