PDA

View Full Version : BBC-poll: Is serena...

doddel
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:38 PM
a heroine or a villain

result (5644 votes): 72% went for 'a villain'

tells it all...

(link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/6264190.stm)

frontier
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:15 PM
who cares ,what difference does that make Daniela is long gone lets move on.Did they honestly believe she was going to win over Serena.The nbc commentary by mcenroe carillo ted is so hateful of the sisters and they are not ashamed to show it.they are all saying she was faking and thats really sad coming from fellow americans and i wonder if it was roddick will they say the same thing.

Freewoman33
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:17 PM
White folks can't help it when it comes to the sisters. Americans or non-Americans, they always show their true colors.

nikita771
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:19 PM
I don't understand why she's a villain. Because she didn't roll over and give Daniela the match? The requested bathroom break? It amazes me that someone can overcome a collapse on court and win the match, yet still be considered a villain.

Craigy
White folks can't help it when it comes to the sisters. Americans or non-Americans, they always show their true colors.

:weirdo:

Onyxangel

That's cute... so I guess while we're generalizing, you can say the same about black folks?

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:22 PM
Serena's won more Slams in 8 years than Britain in the OPEN ERA (MALE OR FEMALE)!

So, I really don't think it matters what they have to say :wavey: I know the audience was cheering for her :wavey:

Besides, Serena's used to people not liking her. It's what happens when you're a champ :D

But like I said, no one from Britain would really know about that would they? :shrug:

dav abu
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:24 PM

get some fucking cop on will you?!!

John.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:25 PM
:oThis poll is just ridiculous

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:26 PM
what they didn't say:

Votes: Justine Henin 5000

you'd think she'd have better things to in her time off :devil:

calabar
I see someone is DESPERATE for attention again

dav abu
What were the American commentators saying?

Freewoman33
Ouch! must've hit a nerve.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:29 PM
who cares ,what difference does that make Daniela is long gone lets move on.Did they honestly believe she was going to win over Serena.The nbc commentary by mcenroe carillo ted is so hateful of the sisters and they are not ashamed to show it.they are all saying she was faking and thats really sad coming from fellow americans and i wonder if it was roddick will they say the same thing.

Mary was actually complimentary of Serena yesterday. And on ESPN Dick and Mary Jo were singing Serena's praises :shrug: Maybe you were thinking of another match. And Roddick's friends w/ the sisters, I doubt he'd have something stupid to say about the situation. He's very loyal.

Serenita
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:30 PM
ooh shit.....do we actually believe this crap.... i reallly dont care what those ASS* have to say about the sista's
let serena and venus shut them up.

supergrunt
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:30 PM
Yesterday I went to play tennis, and I saw a girl who is a friend of mine from school. She told me that she was very angry that Serena won because Daniela was pretty and Serena wasn't. She is a Sharapova fanatic, and when I came in school after Serena beat Sharapova at Australia, she was like "Oh, well it doesn't matter because Sharapova is still prettier." She even told me this story about how her father watched the award ceremony and was like "Hey look- Beauty and the Beast." Now I see why some people could dislike Serena, and why so many peope from England voted villian; prejudice. Some people show their prejudice in more subtle ways becuase they don't even realize it, by voting "villian" or slandering Serena on an online women's tennis forum.

Fedcup
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:31 PM

A racist remark about others beiing racist. :rolleyes:

ptkten
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
Also, its the people who are obsessed with hating the Williams sisters who are the ones that are going to vote in the poll so the result is going to be biased. Fans and people who don't care one way or the other about the Williams sisters aren't going to bother voting in the poll.

fifiricci
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:35 PM

Oh for god's sake, how many times? It's got fuck all to do with her being black. I'm starting to think that you want to suggest that black people are incapable of gamesmanship? :help:

moon
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:35 PM
i was on centre court that day, and there was ALOT of support for Serena.
there were some assholes in the audience, but Serena had major support.

t-player
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:41 PM
Why mention the race? It does not matter the color of skin! Serena fought very hard yesterday and reaped rewards - leave the race topic out of it! Serena is a heroine and nobody can take that away from her! And just for the topic - this is coming from a white folk!

tennisjunky
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:42 PM

being a person of mixed race (white/black) i feel bad, but i have to agree. i see it in my own family and mostly on my white side. even in this day when we like to pretend that black people are overly sensitive and love to bring up race anytime they can, the truth is people are just as prejeducie and biased as ever before they just pretend otherwise. say something wrong, cut someone off on the free way, make a mistake- and before you know it, the truth reveals its ugly self, time and time again.

Avid Merrion
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:43 PM
:yawn: who cares?

twight6
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:47 PM
I don't understand why she's a villain. Because she didn't roll over and give Daniela the match? The requested bathroom break? It amazes me that someone can overcome a collapse on court and win the match, yet still be considered a villain.

She's a villain because she can get hurt in a match but still pull it together and win. If it's a cramp, she was being a baby and shouldn't have made such a big deal out of it. If it's a tear, she should have retired because she's gonna lose to Justine next round. If she says nice things about Hantuchova after the match, she's being two-faced and fake, but if she's says mean things she's a bitch. People get jealous because the Williams used to be so dominant. Now, that they're not winning again, people sit there and root against them and call them names and come up with stuff against them, simply because they're out of their prime. They get hurt and people cheer because the dominant players that they used to be are no longer there. Even non-tennis fans hate the Williams. It has nothing to do with their race ,it's all about how well they played, and how dominant they used to be. Doesn't matter if they're white, black, american, asian, whatever. They used to dominate the tour, and no one can deny that. Now that they're losing, and are less-fit, all people do is find shit to rag on them about.

All of this is coming from my experience with non-tennis fans, tennis fans, the like. None of this has anything to do with my personal feelings. Although the Williams aren't my favorite, I have total respect for both of them and everything they do.

Fedcup
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:48 PM
i think its funny when white people say racism doesn't exist and has no part in the way Serena/Venus are treated. (post not directly toward you cuz I have no clue of your skin color). I find it even more ridiculous when white people say racism doesn't really exist in America or the world today. All I have to say is look at the world people and try to tell me racism doesn't exist. :rolleyes:

It has nothing to to do with racism but the person Serena,the Williams family...

Not everybody in the world likes them you know...they show little respect to the others players. They think they are the best (which is good). But when they are beaten they always search excuses.
Most people don't like people who behave like that.
Do you like it if you beat somebody and he says you only won cause you were playing bad. I think that guy won't be one of your close friends...

It's easy to say it's racism...but sometimes you have to look beyond that. IMO the williams family (exept Orecane) are way to agressive and respectless to the other players on court. Look at Chanda Rubin...she was supported well on courts by the public.
But hey...that's only my opinion.

wipeout
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:49 PM
:yawn: who cares?

Sponsors. Less popularity equals less money.

Sam L
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:51 PM

:weirdo:

twight6
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:53 PM
It has nothing to to do with racism but the person Serena,the Williams family...

Not everybody in the world likes them you know...they show little respect to the others players. They think they are the best (which is good). But when they are beaten they always search excuses.
Do you like it if you beat somebody and he says you only won cause you were playing bad. I think that guy won't be one of your close friends...

It's easy to say it's racism...but sometimes you have to look beyond that. IMO the williams family (exept Orecane) are way to agressive and respectless to the other players on court. Look at Chanda Rubin...she was supported well on courts by the public.

I agree with this post. I don't personally feel this way, because I agree with aggression and confidence and don't have a problem with what they do, but I can see where people would find a problem in it. Whether fans admit it or not, Serena and Venus always say (along with Richard) that they only lost because they played bad. They always say "no one can beat me when i play my best". This may be true, but what do you think the public is going to do at these comments? Root for them to lose. It's in human nature to try to prove them wrong. This goes along with what I said in my other post. The Williams are finally to the point where they don't dominate, and it leaves an opening for people to step in and root for them to lose. I'll admit it, I've even rooted for them to lose just so that Lindsay didn't have to play them, because I know how good they are. All of the negativity is brought about by the way the Williams act, and by the way (on this board anyway) their fans are. :shrug:

Like was said above, look at Chanda Rubin. Jamea Jackson, Shenay Perry. When Shenay was the only American left in Paris a year ago, everyone cheered for her. No one booed because she was black :shrug:

supergrunt
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:54 PM
Didn't Arthur Ashe say something like "There will be black players in the future who aren't like me and it is going to make a lot of people mad"? I guess he was right. :lol:

twight6
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:55 PM
Didn't Arthur Ashe say something like "There will be black players in the future who aren't like me and it is going to make a lot of people mad"? I guess he was right. :lol:

:lol:

frontier
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:56 PM
Mary was actually complimentary of Serena yesterday. And on ESPN Dick and Mary Jo were singing Serena's praises :shrug: Maybe you were thinking of another match. And Roddick's friends w/ the sisters, I doubt he'd have something stupid to say about the situation. He's very loyal.I am talking about this morning when they were reflecting on yesterday,they went berserk with their bashing of Serena specially Ted and John.About Roddick I meant if he was in Serena's situation would these three jerks behave in the same way.

blamoh
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:56 PM
I could believe when one of the commentators was saying the only thing
Daniellla should do is to keep the ball in play knowing very well that
Serena was injured. That will force Serena to quite. And they know she
injured but to win the match surprised them. And to satisfy their racial
desire is to say she was not injured.
Fuck anyone who hates the Williamses. I make this promise, after the
sisters, tennis will never be the same, excitement that is.

tennisjunky
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:00 PM
being a person of mixed race (white/black) i feel bad, but i have to agree. i see it in my own family and mostly on my white side. even in this day when we like to pretend that black people are overly sensitive and love to bring up race anytime they can, the truth is people are just as prejeducie and biased as ever before they just pretend otherwise. say something wrong, cut someone off on the free way, make a mistake- and before you know it, the truth reveals its ugly self, time and time again.

all we have is our own personal stories and some non black people will NEVER understand because they CAN'T.

thing i love about serena is she doesnt care, love her or hate her she's going to keep on being serena. that makes some people angry, but it makes her keep on fighting and in the end she wins.

Avid Merrion
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:00 PM
Sponsors. Less popularity equals less money.

i actually meant who cares what a bunch of tragic posters on the BBC's website thinks. i know i don't care ;)

tennnisfannn
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:01 PM
This must have been going on in serena's mind:
2/5 down, let me fight back in this set
3/5 down, I am still in this set
4/5 nearly there baby
5/5 I am that good , i better fake an injury and slow my own momentum, i really don't want to win this in two sets especially if I can spread it over two days!! The rain will gurantee THAT.

Experimentee
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:06 PM
Still dont understand why there was any controversy about that match?

Obviously Serena was really in pain and not faking. And why would she if she could have just played properly and won in two sets instead of 3?

Seems like some people will find any reason to hate Serena.

Dave.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:18 PM
Serena's won more Slams in 8 years than Britain in the OPEN ERA (MALE OR FEMALE)!

So, I really don't think it matters what they have to say :wavey: I know the audience was cheering for her :wavey:

Besides, Serena's used to people not liking her. It's what happens when you're a champ :D

But like I said, no one from Britain would really know about that would they? :shrug:

You don't need to start going on about the state of British tennis, it has nothing to do with this.

Besides, alot of people voting would have been from Europe or all around the world.

tennisboi
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:33 PM
I'm a white folk saying Serena will still probably win Wimbledon

DaniMasha3
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:35 PM
I dont think Serena is a heroine or villian if anything she was just competting i mean the injury did seem to be slightly exagerated...but she was CLEARLY in pain.. and although i wanted daniela to win this match.. Serena showed alot of heart to come play on and win.

dreamgoddess099
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:40 PM

I totally feel you Tennisjunky, my mother is mixed and I know the hidden racism that my white relatives and white friends have in their hearts. They make racist remarks and tell racist jokes when blacks aren't around, but if you ask them if they are racist they'll tell you no. Racism is alive and well, people just try harder to hide it now because it's more frowned upon by society. Racists people are the only ones who want you to believe that racism doesn't exist or isn't a big deal. They are the only ones bothered when the issue of racism is brought up. They simply want to be free to be racist without having to answer to anyone.

frontier
Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:45 PM
Serena is hated because she is unapologetic she is what she is ,love or hate her she dances to the beat of her own drum.Thats what I admire about Serena she will not conform she is a super confident woman.Thats what young ladies should aspire to be.

wetfre
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:20 PM
How can she be a heroine or villian? Lol

She didnt save the world nor did she try to destroy it...

In terms of heroine, she could be a hero to people who loves how she fight and never give up.

If she was a villian, she would did juju move but worse.

Onyxangel
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:20 PM
You want proof of white racism? Watch how white people react when they see a good looking white girl who is out with a black guy that she is obviously romantically involved with...

50Sense
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:24 PM
Serena is the most kick-ass villian the WTA Tour has seen in a long time. That's why I love her so damn much.

Onyxangel
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:25 PM

Yes, and I'm certain the black side of your family never makes any prejudiced or racist remarks... it's always those damn white folks... and it's all of them too...:rolleyes:

Bijoux0021
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:32 PM
So true.

faste5683
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:32 PM
i was on centre court that day, and there was ALOT of support for Serena.
there were some assholes in the audience, but Serena had major support.

I guess one or two white folk must of been denying their true colors...
:tape:

:wavey:

Bijoux0021
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:43 PM
I totally feel you Tennisjunky, my mother is mixed and I know the hidden racism that my white relatives and white friends have in their hearts. They make racist remarks and tell racist jokes when blacks aren't around, but if you ask them if they are racist they'll tell you no. Racism is alive and well, people just try harder to hide it now because it's more frowned upon by society. Racists people are the only ones who want you to believe that racism doesn't exist or isn't a big deal. They are the only ones bothered when the issue of racism is brought up. They simply want to be free to be racist without having to answer to anyone.
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

tennisboi
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:51 PM
This has turned into a thread about racism not tennis. Two many people are overly sensitive I feel being a white person is almost a disability these days we make any kind of negative comment which just happens to be a minority race and we're labelled as racist it's ridiculous.

Zweli
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:55 PM
really? cuz according to BBC a lot of people didn't applaud when Serena went up match point, and rightly so (according to the commentator).

I would agree ,I was also there.The Centre Court was rapt,meeting every Williams winner with cheers and laughter.

hingisGOAT
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:05 PM

God you people are retarded. Black people hate on white people just as much as white people hate on black people; get OVA it! :yawn:

And what has race to do with Serena's diva-like, self-centered, obnoxious, animalistic, unpleasant behavior on and off the court?

hingisGOAT
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:09 PM
Oops, I forgot to add ARROGANT. You can defend Serena's behavoir all you want, but how can it possibly come as a suprise to anyone that a majority of people do not approve of her antics?

mdterp01
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:12 PM
:yawn: :zzz: And this is important because.....???? :rolleyes:

AKfanatic
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:18 PM
shut up and stop obsessing with people's color of their skin.....GET OVER IT!!!! It doesnt matter, all you who keep on bringing the fact that the sisters are black are delusional and need to get over it already....we've been listening to this bafunery for the past 10 years and im sick of it.

Everytime they do something you people keep on bringing up the racial card and seriously, its completely old.

on another note....GO JUSTINE!

woosey
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:24 PM
let's be real. white people are far more likely to dislike the williams sisters than black folks are. poll a group of black people are it would be different. it's not shocking that white people will villify black people, especially one that doesn't act as sweet and nice as they would like - in other words, one that doesn't have the plantation mentality. but in the end, i could care less. serena is da bomb baby. she's the queen bee.

kadirelf
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:24 PM
come on serena fight go go go go go go

woosey
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:26 PM
shut up and stop obsessing with people's color of their skin.....GET OVER IT!!!! It doesnt matter, all you who keep on bringing the fact that the sisters are black are delusional and need to get over it already....we've been listening to this bafunery for the past 10 years and im sick of it.

Everytime they do something you people keep on bringing up the racial card and seriously, its completely old.

typical double speak. on the one hand, you would have some ignore certain tendancies while turning around to engage in behaviour you know you probably do. have you played the race care here?

PamShriverRockz
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:27 PM

I find that incredibly offensive.

I love Venus & Serena. I am a white non-american.

So that ruins your theory.

AKfanatic
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:30 PM
let's be real. white people are far more likely to dislike the williams sisters than black folks are. poll a group of black people are it would be different. it's not shocking that white people will villify black people, especially one that doesn't act as sweet and nice as they would like - in other words, one that doesn't have the plantation mentality. but in the end, i could care less. serena is da bomb baby. she's the queen bee.

plantation mentality????:eek: :lol: :tape: ....rotflmao

why do you feel this way? do you have something to back up your theory of white people villifying black people? I just dont understand why you people on this board can never look past the color of the skin. maybe have you thought it has something to do with the fact that her personlity is so competitive that she is willing to do whatever to continue in the tournament??? because i believe that's what people are seeing. anyway, this is a never ending argument and im never going to make you people think in a different manner.

Just so you know, i dont care about people's skin color. this is not an attack at the sisters, but more at people in general.

Mrs. Peel
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:30 PM
ooooohhhhhh! some random bullshit poll where a bunch of jokers with the IQ of zero(like the thread starter) can vote repeatedly says it all! :tape: I'm watching the match now and all I hear are British fans screaming GO SERENA.

I like rooting for villains. They make things much more exciting! Go Serena! ESPN2 knows it will keep their ratings up...how many times has this match been shown so far?:lol:

DannerCal
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:31 PM
There's only one explanation.

People in Britain are RACIST!

AKfanatic
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:33 PM
typical double speak. on the one hand, you would have some ignore certain tendancies while turning around to engage in behaviour you know you probably do. have you played the race care here?

no. im very glad to say i respect everyone for who they are. and am able to see things from a point of view in which i see past someone's skin color, nationality, etc.

Im Mexican, and i support justine henin and james blake. so there.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:34 PM
a heroine or a villain

result (5644 votes): 72% went for 'a villain'

tells it all...

(link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/6264190.stm)
Yeah, but since the result of a tennis match is not decided by a BBC poll I'm sure that Serena couldn't care less. Better to be a villain who qualified herself for the quarter finals than a sweetie on her flight back home.

Europe rocks
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:04 PM
If only the roof had already been built... Maybe we would have had the right result

RVD
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:08 PM
Serena a villain?
Big deal. :shrug:
The American media [and fans] have ALWAYS looked upon her and her sister this way. *Well, more Serena than Venus*
All the poll suggests is that the Brits are once again playing catch-up. :lol:

Anyway, I can live with Serena being a villain, because I'm one of her elite ebony spies. :worship:

Tennisaddict
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:15 PM
Well, actually the BBC has edited a lot of things McEnroe said and made this piece in which it seems he was questioning Serena´s honesty. They didn´t show the questions they asked McEnroe which were very accusatory.
McEnroe was full of praise for Serena saying that nobody can top this performance at Wimbledon 2007.
During the rain break today they Sue Barker brought it up again and Tracy Austin and McEnroe were in the studio. I think the people at BBC are just pissed that Serena is trough but the American commentators seem to enjoy Serena´s attitude very much as do I!

Midnite Surfer
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:30 PM
Who cares what a bunch of jealous cry babies has to say? Anyone who has watched Serena win slam after slam after slam throughout the years knows that she doesn't use gamesmanship...ever. She just beats the shit out of other players, daintily slings her purse over her shoulder like the queen of tennis that she is and directs her driver back to her tennis castle where it is all about Serena. Anyone who says anything else clearly hasn't watched a lick of tennis or has ulterior motives...be they conscious or unconscious. Oh well and ho hum.

sharapovarulz1
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:34 PM
There's only one explanation.

People in Britain are RACIST!

No I think you will find some peope in Britian are RACIST!!!

Don't go shouting your mouth off, you are calling all British people on this board racist when the fact is I am not and most of the people on here ain't neither! Obviously i can't speak for everybody!

Onyxangel
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:29 AM

Well, if you're going to "be real", then you have to "be consistent" while you're being real... because it could easily be argued that it's not shocking that black people will forgive a black person faults that are commonly considered a social negative and that they wouldn't forgive in a white person.

And while we're "being real", let's do some simple math here... lets take a poll of all fans to see what they think of the WS. The scale is 1 to 10, with 1 being that you hope they die a fiery, horrific death, and 10 being that you would eat their excrement on command from either of them (a bit dramatic but you get the idea). Then we take all of the numbers from the non-black people and separate them from all the numbers from the black people. Then you find the standard deviation for both sets of numbers. Do you think that the non-uniformity from the non-blacks would be anywhere NEAR what the non-uniformity from the blacks are? Of course not. That would indicate that blacks are more consitent in their racial passions than whites are (likely to make judgements, positive or negative, based on race) and likely FAR more so. This is all assuming that while you are "being real" that you are actually being real and not a hypocrite who is assuming that all whites that dislike the WS have a racial motivation, but none of the black people who like them do... and hey, don't take my word for it. Take the poll and do the math... if I'm wrong, I'll certainly own up to it.

supergrunt
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Well, if you're going to "be real", then you have to "be consistent" while you're being real... because it could easily be argued that it's not shocking that black people will forgive a black person faults that are commonly considered a social negative and that they wouldn't forgive in a white person.

And while we're "being real", let's do some simple math here... lets take a poll of all fans to see what they think of the WS. The scale is 1 to 10, with 1 being that you hope they die a fiery, horrific death, and 10 being that you would eat their excrement on command from either of them (a bit dramatic but you get the idea). Then we take all of the numbers from the non-black people and separate them from all the numbers from the black people. Then you find the standard deviation for both sets of numbers. Do you think that the non-uniformity from the non-blacks would be anywhere NEAR what the non-uniformity from the blacks are? Of course not. That would indicate that blacks are more consitent in their racial passions than whites are (likely to make judgements, positive or negative, based on race) and likely FAR more so. This is all assuming that while you are "being real" that you are actually being real and not a hypocrite who is assuming that all whites that dislike the WS have a racial motivation, but none of the black people who like them do... and hey, don't take my word for it. Take the poll and do the math... if I'm wrong, I'll certainly own up to it.

Are you trying to say that all of the Williams fans are black?

Onyxangel
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Are you trying to say that all of the Williams fans are black?

{checks own skin color}

No... not at all. Just asking the poster I responded to to mathematically qualify their assessments of non-black fans.

supergrunt
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:58 AM
You are Native American and white? Do you look white? I ask because you are always trying to disprove racism or mitigate the ugliness of slavery. If you aren't black or you don't look black, then you don't know and simply cannot relate, and you certainly should not be speaking so fervently about it.

Donny
Jul 4th, 2007, 02:08 AM
God you people are retarded. Black people hate on white people just as much as white people hate on black people; get OVA it! :yawn:

And what has race to do with Serena's diva-like, self-centered, obnoxious, animalistic, unpleasant behavior on and off the court?

When's the last time a white tennis player has been playing in a stadium filled with nothing but blacks?

Craigy
Jul 4th, 2007, 02:11 AM

Oops, I forgot to add ARROGANT. You can defend Serena's behavoir all you want, but how can it possibly come as a suprise to anyone that a majority of people do not approve of her antics?

Yuck. You're disgusting. :o

AKfanatic
Jul 4th, 2007, 03:25 AM
You are Native American and white? Do you look white? I ask because you are always trying to disprove racism or mitigate the ugliness of slavery. If you aren't black or you don't look black, then you don't know and simply cannot relate, and you certainly should not be speaking so fervently about it.

oh boy, here we go......way to pull out the 'slavery' card!!!!

GET OvER it.....it was centuries agoooooooooooo......

not a single person thinks of black people that way anymore except for themselves..............:help:

Especially in sports where black people excell so much because of their athleticism and power, so please stop pulling the same card over and over

harloo
Jul 4th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Well, actually the BBC has edited a lot of things McEnroe said and made this piece in which it seems he was questioning Serena´s honesty. They didn´t show the questions they asked McEnroe which were very accusatory.
McEnroe was full of praise for Serena saying that nobody can top this performance at Wimbledon 2007.
During the rain break today they Sue Barker brought it up again and Tracy Austin and McEnroe were in the studio. I think the people at BBC are just pissed that Serena is trough but the American commentators seem to enjoy Serena´s attitude very much as do I!

I was reviewing my DVR and they rehashed the controversy at the beginning of NBC's coverage and McEnroe, Ted, and Carillo were very biased and anti-Serena. Mcenroe even implied that Serena did a good job on practicing her drama skills. He did say the injury was legitimate, but as the conversation wen't on Mary had the nerve to say Serena was just like Richard, he is very disingenious and she doesn't know what to believe. Also Venus was like Oracene but at times in her interviews she was contradictory like her father. At the end of the commentary old Mac said, "When they leave we'll really miss them" and the trannie (Mary Carillo) started chuckling like a drunk sailor.

I'm done with them.:help: :lol: The three stooges should of been fired along with Bud.

Donny
Jul 4th, 2007, 05:11 AM

not a single person thinks of black people that way anymore except for themselves..............:help:

Especially in sports where black people excell so much because of their athleticism and power, so please stop pulling the same card over and over

That last sentence... Did you just say that blacks excelled in sports because they were better athletes? Yes, better athletes usually do do better at athletic competitions...

I think it's pretty clear you meant something else by athleticism, namely, the non mental aspects.

Funny how you laugh at the idea of racism still existing, then go on to regurgitate a racist stereotype within the same post.

jfaithfully
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Well i don't think i would agree with that, tennis is a very selfish game, its about you 80%... you need a oppenent to win and at times playing badily can be down to two things you just not firing or your oppenent making you miss fire. Yes i can agree that the williams tends to talk about their tennis which they should as they feel if they up their level the match would be better and at times have said nothing about their oppenent in recent years i have seen that change they speak well off their oppenents.

mandy7
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:04 AM
you f*cking racist

jfaithfully
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Still dont understand why there was any controversy about that match?

Obviously Serena was really in pain and not faking. And why would she if she could have just played properly and won in two sets instead of 3?

Seems like some people will find any reason to hate Serena.

It is about the toilet break needed to go on Daniella's serve then not wanting to go when she broke

She also jumped up and down at one point when she missed a shot, asked how if she had been cramping

I don't think it about her cramp per say because we all could see that it came out of nowhere i mean she was just walking to the other, serena would have no reason to hit her leg with a racquet in the right frame of mind

mandy7
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:13 AM
It is about the toilet break needed to go on Daniella's serve then not wanting to go when she broke

She also jumped up and down at one point when she missed a shot, asked how if she had been cramping

I don't think it about her cramp per say because we all could see that it came out of nowhere i mean she was just walking to the other, serena would have no reason to hit her leg with a racquet in the right frame of mind
It's Daniela.

jfaithfully
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:16 AM
It's Daniela.

oh golly one extra L though its still ends up being said exactly the same :rolleyes: my bad

mandy7
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:23 AM
oh golly one extra L though its still ends up being said exactly the same :rolleyes: my bad

let's say your name is jane, would you like to be called janne
(would sound awfully finish by the way)

is it really too much effort to write a players name right?
it's not like you're talking about Pavlyuchenkova
not THAT name, you can fuck up, cause that's hard
but Daniela, is an easy name
what kind of name is Daniella anyways? looks stupid

but i was just pointing it out, don't be so defensive :hug:

Louis Cyphre
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Ahh another world conspiracy against black people is revealed by the WTA secret service and they save the world again :yeah:

Petersmiler
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Those of you who are whining about the commentators again should take note of what is said today during her match. How many times do you think the American commentators will mention the 2003 RG Semi?

Is that xenophobia?

bandabou
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:41 AM
doesn't matter..as long as she won.

Kunal
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:17 AM
i never usually jump the gun and start saying racism....but this is plain ridiculous.

had it been any of the other favorites...then the commentators and the rest would have showed so much sympathy....i hope serena absolutely pounds the shit out of justine....

im getting pissed off at this ignorance

Petersmiler
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:34 AM
i never usually jump the gun and start saying racism....but this is plain ridiculous.

had it been any of the other favorites...then the commentators and the rest would have showed so much sympathy....i hope serena absolutely pounds the shit out of justine....

im getting pissed off at this ignorance

A lovely turn of phrase.

frontier
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:12 PM
In other words the british wanted Daniela to win over thats just pathetic.if serena beats justine they will say she faked that injury to distract justine.i really feel for serena with all this hostility were ever she goes.I think all these haters take notes from the american media and i hope she wins it all to shame these racists.Serena is the player who has been tested the most by racism they talk about her body they boo her for no reason.

lizchris
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:26 PM
no. im very glad to say i respect everyone for who they are. and am able to see things from a point of view in which i see past someone's skin color, nationality, etc.

Im Mexican, and i support justine henin and james blake. so there.

James Blake is racially mixed (black father, white mother) and he has never won a GS (nor will he ever win one).

Fedcup
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:26 PM
In other words the british wanted Daniela to win over thats just pathetic.if serena beats justine they will say she faked that injury to distract justine.i really feel for serena with all this hostility were ever she goes.I think all these haters take notes from the american media and i hope she wins it all to shame these racists.Serena is the player who has been tested the most by racism they talk about her body they boo her for no reason.

once again...nothing to do with racism but the attitude of the williams family...
Is it sooo difficult to understand that the general public doesn't like players who are so self-fullfilled and show no respect to the other players???

If it was racism I don't undertand why the public wasn't boeiing Chanda Rubin, James Blake...

mandy7
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:30 PM
James Blake is racially mixed (black father, white mother) and he has never won a GS (nor will he ever win one).

and that matters.......... because?

supergrunt
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:31 PM
once again...nothing to do with racism but the attitude of the williams family...
Is it sooo difficult to understand that the general public doesn't like players who are so self-fullfilled and show no respect to the other players???

If it was racism I don't undertand why the public wasn't boeiing Chanda Rubin, James Blake...

Can I ask you how they are dissrespectful?Is it because they believe in themselves?They believe they are the best?Give me a break. This is racism. Pure and utter racism.As much as I like Chanda people don't boo her because she is really not threat to win every title!Now go ahead and call me a troll,a loser, a fanatic...I don't care.I don't like to use the race card on issues (when I am not joking) but this is obviously a case of it. I'm done.

fifiricci
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:32 PM
i think its funny when white people say racism doesn't exist and has no part in the way Serena/Venus are treated. (post not directly toward you cuz I have no clue of your skin color). I find it even more ridiculous when white people say racism doesn't really exist in America or the world today. All I have to say is look at the world people and try to tell me racism doesn't exist. :rolleyes:

Of course racism exists, why on earh would I try to deny that? :rolleyes:

The really cheap and nasty thing about all of this is the way that some Serena fans pull out the racism trump card whenever Serena does something dodgy. That way, you can all bang on about racism with statements we have heard a thousand times, boring us all shitless in the process and cleverly by-passing the issue of Serena's dodgy behaviour on the courts yesterday.

If you like, call the Independent newspaper a racist rag (it's one of the most liberal on the planet, btw), but today they suggest that Serena's behaviour over the "do I want to go to the toilet or not" issue, is at best Machievellian.

This has got fuck all to do with race and all about the behaviour of a player on a given day. Continue to cloud the issue with racist tripe if you like, but the behaviour issues remain and some intelligent observers of the game want to discuss that.

lizchris
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:33 PM
and that matters.......... because?

I was just making a point and a subtle oveservation.

lizchris
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:36 PM

Chanda and James will never be booed because in white peoples' minds, they are the "right kind of Negro"; a non-threatning one.

mykarma
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I dont think Serena is a heroine or villian if anything she was just competting i mean the injury did seem to be slightly exagerated...but she was CLEARLY in pain.. and although i wanted daniela to win this match.. Serena showed alot of heart to come play on and win.
:scratch: The girl is on the ground wrenching in pain, crying, moaning, and yelling, and you say the injury seem to be exaggerated.

mandy7
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Chanda and James will never be booed because in white peoples' minds, they are the "right kind of Negro"; a non-threatning one.
just checking, is that in all white people's minds?

frontier
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:43 PM

If it was racism I don't undertand why the public wasn't boeiing Chanda Rubin, James Blake...James Blake is not a threat to win big and the same with Chanda.Venus is now becoming favourites to some because she is no longer a threat.Why should she praise her opponent not many players do that even roger never gives rafa credit.I think these are situations that fuel Serena and make her the champion she is.I think she should be considered the biggest achiever in tennis because she is doing it against all odds tough draws hostility from left and right.

mykarma
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:43 PM
This has turned into a thread about racism not tennis. Two many people are overly sensitive I feel being a white person is almost a disability these days we make any kind of negative comment which just happens to be a minority race and we're labelled as racist it's ridiculous.
:lol::lol::lol: You wouldn't know a disability (as far as race is concerned) if it slapped you in the face.

mykarma
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:45 PM

Try over 400 years and then tell me you're sick of it.

supergrunt
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:45 PM

:lol: :yeah:

lizchris
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:46 PM
just checking, is that in all white people's minds?

No, most. And I should have made that clear in my post.

mandy7
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:46 PM

you're THAT old? :eek:

mandy7
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:48 PM
No, most. And I should have made that clear in my post.

oooooooooooooh, right
thank you for clearing that up

and fuck you :yeah:

rod99
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Can I ask you how they are dissrespectful?Is it because they believe in themselves?They believe they are the best?Give me a break. This is racism. Pure and utter racism.As much as I like Chanda people don't boo her because she is really not threat to win every title!Now go ahead and call me a troll,a loser, a fanatic...I don't care.I don't like to use the race card on issues (when I am not joking) but this is obviously a case of it. I'm done.

please. you want examples of dissrespectful? example quotes from serena are "i just gave the match away", "she really didn't do anything", "all she had to do was show up", over and over and over again. simply never giving credit to her opponent when the opponent wins. even if she feels that, it's just not something you say in public or people are going to use that against you. it's really that simple. and then there's her father sitting in the coaches box acting like a fool and a clown. show some respect. not to mention the fact that he's got a history of lying and exagerating in order to draw attention to either himself or his daughters.

Sam L
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:50 PM
you're THAT old? :eek:

:haha:

lizchris
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:52 PM
oooooooooooooh, right
thank you for clearing that up

and fuck you :yeah:

You can go fuck youself while you are at it.

I am pretty sure you did it more than once.

mykarma
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:53 PM

You like a lot of white people forgot to add intelligence to your list when speaking of black athletics.

lizchris
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:56 PM
You like a lot of white people forgot to add intelligence to your list when speaking of black athletics.

Most of them always do.

It's funny how we blacks have to "get over" a history that wasn't of our making.:rolleyes:

mykarma
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:56 PM
That last sentence... Did you just say that blacks excelled in sports because they were better athletes? Yes, better athletes usually do do better at athletic competitions...

I think it's pretty clear you meant something else by athleticism, namely, the non mental aspects.

Funny how you laugh at the idea of racism still existing, then go on to regurgitate a racist stereotype within the same post.
Typical, isn't it. It's always the ones the yell the loudest that show their true colors. :lol:

mandy7
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:57 PM
You can go fuck youself while you are at it.

I am pretty sure you did it more than once.

Did what exactly?
Cheer for James Blake and Chanda Rubin cause they're the (YOUR WORDS) "right kind of Negro"

- never saw her play, but did cheer for Rubin when she doubled with Danka

- and only saw James play once, against Robredo and I cheered for Tommy

- saw Serena play once, against Daniela, cheered for Daniela, cause, well, SHE'S MY FAVE

- never seen Venus play, but always support her when she plays Sharapova, who is SO WHITE

so WHAT THE FUCK did i do?
more than once even.

supergrunt
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:58 PM
please. you want examples of dissrespectful? example quotes from serena are "i just gave the match away", "she really didn't do anything", "all she had to do was show up", over and over and over again. simply never giving credit to her opponent when the opponent wins. even if she feels that, it's just not something you say in public or people are going to use that against you. it's really that simple. and then there's her father sitting in the coaches box acting like a fool and a clown. show some respect. not to mention the fact that he's got a history of lying and exagerating in order to draw attention to either himself or his daughters.

Okay,I see your point.However, when they say that...it's true. I don't know if you have ever watched a Serena or Venus match however, it is true that they usually (you see I said usually) go down in a flurry of errors when they loose (esp.Venus). As for their father, he should not be a reflection of them.He is a completeley seperate human being from his daughters. There is no excuse to root against somebody just because you are upset by their father.Nobody roots against Maria because of Yuri who has done just as much.

SunriseSunset
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:00 PM

Did you even SEE the match? Serena sucked. Justine can lie all she wants, but Serena sucked that day. I remember watching her make mistake after mistake after error.:mad:

Why should she be deemed a villain because of her father? If we're paying for our ancestors mistakes, then probably everyone on this board is a villain. Are you parents so perfect?:worship:

rod99
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Okay,I see your point.However, when they say that...it's true. I don't know if you have ever watched a Serena or Venus match however, it is true that they usually (you see I said usually) go down in a flurry of errors when they loose (esp.Venus). As for their father, he should not be a reflection of them.He is a completeley seperate human being from his daughters. There is no excuse to root against somebody just because you are upset by their father.Nobody roots against Maria because of Yuri who has done just as much.

actually yuri turns some people off with his antics which cause them not to root for sharapova. it's definitley that way for me, as well as the fact that she always has to be overly dramatic (just like serena).

as for the errors, if i walked out on the court and smacked every single ball as hard as i could then of course it would be my errors which caused my defeat. that's another reason i don't like the williams sisters. they have no Plan B and insist on relying solely on one strategy. and it usually works b/c they are playing against so many players which don't have nearly the strength of them. they need to learn some variety, get a true tennis coach, and quit being drama queens (sharapova the same way) and they'll gain more respect in my book (as well as many others).

rod99
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Did you even SEE the match? Serena sucked. Justine can lie all she wants, but Serena sucked that day. I remember watching her make mistake after mistake after error.:mad:

Why should she be deemed a villain because of her father? If we're paying for our ancestors mistakes, then probably everyone on this board is a villain. Are you parents so perfect?:worship:

see my response above. when serena/venus make a lot of errors they simply refuse to change strategy. all of the announcers are telling them the same thing. they need to get a real coach, learn some variety, and get more consistent.

supergrunt
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:12 PM
actually yuri turns some people off with his antics which cause them not to root for sharapova. it's definitley that way for me, as well as the fact that she always has to be overly dramatic (just like serena).

as for the errors, if i walked out on the court and smacked every single ball as hard as i could then of course it would be my errors which caused my defeat. that's another reason i don't like the williams sisters. they have no Plan B and insist on relying solely on one strategy. and it usually works b/c they are playing against so many players which don't have nearly the strength of them. they need to learn some variety, get a true tennis coach, and quit being drama queens (sharapova the same way) and they'll gain more respect in my book (as well as many others).

Venus has a plan B.If you don't believe me watch the Amelia Island match in '02.Venus was being outplayed by Henin then,realizing Henin's stature, Venus moonballed her and hit drop volleys realizing that (at that time) her up and down movement was not up to par. Venus comes to net a lot when her game isn't working from the back court.Also,I don't think Serena is over dramatic.If you are refering to her "c'mons" in her matches I personally think it is for positive reinforcement.Once again,I somewhat see your points but these are still not valid reasons to dislike somebody.

A_S
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I wanna turn this raceism thing around a little, quite frankly i am sick of "white people" being hated appon everytime they dare to have an opinion on the williams sisters which may not fully agree with their fans point of view. That is raceism. This whole forum is a total joke and way ott on the issue. Time for people to stand up and say it tbh.

rod99
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:18 PM
venus in 2002 is a different player than in the last 4 years. she plays mindless tennis, hits a ton of winners, hits even more errrors and wins or loses with that strategy. she could still be #1 in the world if she would get a real coach. every time she hits a forehand and 2nd serve, i doubt she even knows if it's going in.

AKfanatic
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:27 PM

dont put words in my mouth.....i never said that they dont have mental aspects....obviously they do or they wouldnt be atop of their sports the way they are: Tiger woods in Golf, The williams sisters in Tennis and lets not mention football and baseball in the US.

You have nothing on me for what i've said. Its funny how you are attacking me for something I DIDNT SAY. stupid.

supergrunt
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:29 PM
White people will deny racism and black people will not. Ok; it's as simple as that.

AKfanatic
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:33 PM

it is disrespectful when they are waving the finger at the world PRETENDING to be the #1 player in the world. It is disrespectful to the actual #1. PEOPLE DISLIKE THAT. not because they're black, not because their last name is Williams, but because it is ARROGANT, AND DELUSIONAL.

If she wants to wave that finger around: Buckle down, work hard, and there is no doubt she can do it. But until she works as hard as the next person, she has no reason to be doing so.

supergrunt
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:39 PM
No, you dislke that because of your prejudice.

rod99
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:41 PM
No, you dislke that because of your prejudice.

blah, blah, blah. just another black person playing the race card at their first opportunity. this isn't the 1960s.

supergrunt
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:43 PM
You've said some pretty ignorant things in this thread so I just put you on ignore. :) I'll let someone else... enlighten you.

rod99
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:46 PM
i don't think i'm the one who needs to be enlightened. it's time to look in the mirror.

supergrunt
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:48 PM
You're just proving all of my believes right now. :)

dorkgirl
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Oh yeah, because alllllllll the BBC readers are RACIST!!!

Gasp. How about you and all your pathetic race card players rack off. Heaven forbid people think Serena is full of it. Guess what, some people actually like one sister, and not the the other. And they're WHITE?!?! OH MY GOD.

Onyxangel
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:51 PM

I'm reasonably certain that I could pass for white if I want to... But you misunderstand my posts concerning this stuff... I am NOT trying to disprove racism in it's entirity or justify slavery in any way... what I'm simply doing is defending those of us who are not black from the sweeping generalizations that are CONSTANTLY being made toward non-blacks (as this one, lumping me as white for purposes of not being able to understand racial disparity simply because I can pass for white is crap on a galactic level) on this board concerning the WS. Since I happen to be a huge Serena fan, I notice a lot of these, and take offense to some of them. In a nutshell, my point is this... If you are going to say that white people only dislike the WS because of racial motivations, then you can't say a damn thing if other people say that black people only like the WS for racial motivations... or else you are a hypocrite, and your input is therefore worthless.

Twist that around for a minute... what would you say if pretty-much ALL of the white people on here preached the gospel about say, Justine (which is absolutely not true, before you start suggesting it is. Ju has her fan base, but it's not even close to all white people here) And anytime a black person makes a comment about how they don't like Justine, ALL of these white people make sweeping generalizations about how all black people are obviously racist because they don't like Justine... and you try to say, "No, I simply don't like her because she's coniving and underhanded." and then all the white people go "Whatever, there are plenty of people who break rules... ever go over the speed limit? Her conivingness is cool and I like her that way, so you must be racist because that's not a legitimate reason to dislike her". This is what constantly happens concerning mostly Serena, since she is very arrogant. I, like many of you, happen to find that an attractive feature about her... but in a traditional sense, heavy arrogance is a negative trait that a lot of people don't care for.

None of this takes away from what black people have suffered through historically... unless you are actually suggesting that you should be allowed to have a pass to be racially hypocritical, in which case NOBODY under the age of 35 (of which there are probably a lot of on this board) is going to find that even remotely fair or acceptable, since they've never been responsible for oppressing anybody. I'm Native American, and I'm sure as hell not going to hold some 29-year old white dude responsible for the fact that some white dude that he may have even been related to may have killed my great-great grandmother with his boots because she wasn't moving fast enough off of her land. It's not right, and it only perpetuates a state of hatred that you and everybody else claims they don't want. When somebody mistreats you because of your race, you take it up with THAT person or anyone directly involved... don't make sweeping generalizations about EVERYONE of that skin color based on some loser's actions. As a Native American, I know how much that sucks to have done to you, so I wouldn't do it to others (when I make such points on the board, it's to show how unfair the previous point sounds)... as a black person, I would assume you would understand this all to well yourself.

I appreciate the relative civility you've shown in this discussion BTW... it's not very common in a racial debate.

A_S
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:55 PM
You're just proving all of my believes right now. :)

beleive it or not people form opinions on people which have nothing to do with race. Its you thats playing the race card not anyone else. How old are you? If your an adult i seriously worry about where you are getting these POV and the state of your sanity.

supergrunt
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I'm reasonably certain that I could pass for white if I want to... But you misunderstand my posts concerning this stuff... I am NOT trying to disprove racism in it's entirity or justify slavery in any way... what I'm simply doing is defending those of us who are not black from the sweeping generalizations that are CONSTANTLY being made toward non-blacks (as this one, lumping me as white for purposes of not being able to understand racial disparity simply because I can pass for white is crap on a galactic level) on this board concerning the WS. Since I happen to be a huge Serena fan, I notice a lot of these, and take offense to some of them. In a nutshell, my point is this... If you are going to say that white people only dislike the WS because of racial motivations, then you can't say a damn thing if other people say that black people only like the WS for racial motivations... or else you are a hypocrite, and your input is therefore worthless.

Twist that around for a minute... what would you say if pretty-much ALL of the white people on here preached the gospel about say, Justine (which is absolutely not true, before you start suggesting it is. Ju has her fan base, but it's not even close to all white people here) And anytime a black person makes a comment about how they don't like Justine, ALL of these white people make sweeping generalizations about how all black people are obviously racist because they don't like Justine... and you try to say, "No, I simply don't like her because she's coniving and underhanded." and then all the white people go "Whatever, there are plenty of people who break rules... ever go over the speed limit? Her conivingness is cool and I like her that way, so you must be racist because that's not a legitimate reason to dislike her". This is what constantly happens concerning mostly Serena, since she is very arrogant. I, like many of you, happen to find that an attractive feature about her... but in a traditional sense, heavy arrogance is a negative trait that a lot of people don't care for.

None of this takes away from what black people have suffered through historically... unless you are actually suggesting that you should be allowed to have a pass to be racially hypocritical, in which case NOBODY under the age of 35 (of which there are probably a lot of on this board) is going to find that even remotely fair or acceptable, since they've never been responsible for oppressing anybody. I'm Native American, and I'm sure as hell not going to hold some 29-year old white dude responsible for the fact that some white dude that he may have even been related to may have killed my great-great grandmother with his boots because she wasn't moving fast enough off of her land. It's not right, and it only perpetuates a state of hatred that you and everybody else claims they don't want. When somebody mistreats you because of your race, you take it up with THAT person or anyone directly involved... don't make sweeping generalizations about EVERYONE of that skin color based on some loser's actions. As a Native American, I know how much that sucks to have done to you, so I wouldn't do it to others (when I make such points on the board, it's to show how unfair the previous point sounds)... as a black person, I would assume you would understand this all to well yourself.

I appreciate the relative civility you've shown in this discussion BTW... it's not very common in a racial debate.

I'm sorry but I'm not reading this.

Monica_Rules
Jul 4th, 2007, 02:02 PM
I was a little suprised at the e-mails being sent into the BBC that Sue Barker read out. Some were supportive but most were not.

I think it just revolved around the bathroom break incident which Serena kicked up a fuss about saying 'I've gotta go' but then before her serve she didn't need to go? Its fishy.

Then i think the other thing was , Serena has this calf strain/ cramp. Well the cramp was pretty obvious but about 3-2 up Serena started jumping up and down showing there was no more injury so maybe people got a bit pissed off with that.

It has nothing to do with race. Whenever there is contraversy with the sisters it will always come down to racism. In Indian Wells i believe that to be the case but not everything comes down to the fact they are black. Doesn't that make the people playing the race card racist? Aren't you trying to use their race as a reason?

AKfanatic
Jul 4th, 2007, 02:05 PM
I was a little suprised at the e-mails being sent into the BBC that Sue Barker read out. Some were supportive but most were not.

I think it just revolved around the bathroom break incident which Serena kicked up a fuss about saying 'I've gotta go' but then before her serve she didn't need to go? Its fishy.

Then i think the other thing was , Serena has this calf strain/ cramp. Well the cramp was pretty obvious but about 3-2 up Serena started jumping up and down showing there was no more injury so maybe people got a bit pissed off with that.

It has nothing to do with race. Whenever there is contraversy with the sisters it will always come down to racism. In Indian Wells i believe that to be the case but not everything comes down to the fact they are black. Doesn't that make the people playing the race card racist? Aren't you trying to use their race as a reason?

yes they are. supergrunt is in denial. apparently is also 12 years old.

dorkgirl
Jul 4th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Some people will always use race as a card, for good or for bad. Whether it's supportive, or negative. All the rest of us can do is go with what we feel.

Maybe Serena was putting the bathroom break on slightly. MANY players of ALL different races do it. Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, they've ALL used various different tricks to get an advantage. They're just individuals, and they can be jerks, or decent people. Hate to be all "happy clappy we're all one" here, but WHY blame Venus for what Serena does, any more than blaiming Roddick for Soderling does.

supergrunt
Jul 4th, 2007, 02:13 PM
All of you who claim that black people just use the race card and that racism no longer exists are white. I can guarentee that.

supergrunt
Jul 4th, 2007, 02:13 PM
I'm out.

rod99
Jul 4th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I'm out.

no you're not. you'll be right back when someone shoots down one of your ridiculous claims yet again. you sound like jesse jackson. that buffoon thinks race is the cause of everything. it's simply racism on his part which causes this belief.

dorkgirl
Jul 4th, 2007, 02:25 PM
All of you who claim that black people just use the race card and that racism no longer exists are white. I can guarentee that.

This is also true. It's easy to be colourblind when you're white.

Bijoux0021
Jul 4th, 2007, 02:27 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

mandy7
Jul 4th, 2007, 02:28 PM

WHO in this thread, said that rasicm does not exist?

link me

Fedcup
Jul 4th, 2007, 02:47 PM

Ofcourse that can be true. But the fact is that your opponent has won with good tennis.
If you're always focusing on your self after the match and not giving any credit to your opponent that's called disrespectful...
And that's why most people don't like the williams family...they simply cannot show respect to the others. They feel they have always to defence themselves and whole the world is against them...The general public doesn't appreciate that...it's as simple as that and has nothing to do with racism...

canuckfan
Jul 4th, 2007, 03:00 PM

So if there's so much racism toward black successful and «threatning» athletes, can you please explain me the popularity of Tiger Woods, a black athlete who won everything, who is the richest in the world and playing the whitest of all sports.

See, a lot of people don't like Serena because of her attitude (exhibit #1: the bullshit bathroom brake), not because of her race. If someone doesn't like Justine, is it because he hates Belgians or whites? No, it's because he doesn't like her as a person. So why can't it also be the case with the Williams?

If all of you can't understand that, then at least suck it up and discuss Serena's tennis instead. This topic is getting so old now and everyone is sick of it. It's not an anthropoloy board, it's a tennis board for god's sake.

Onyxangel
Jul 4th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I'm sorry but I'm not reading this.

:lol: :lol:

Fair enough... It did seem obnoxiously long after I posted it.

mandy7
Jul 5th, 2007, 02:41 PM

WHO in this thread, said that rasicm does not exist?

link me

*bump*

i still want an answer