PDA

View Full Version : Rate Anaís Game

Langers
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:36 PM
Forehand: 9/10- Her obvious strength and the provider of many free points. It's one of the best on tour and opponents obviously try and stay away from it as much as possible.

Backhand: 6.5- The aspect of her game sheís been working on most extensively, and it shows. Sheís improved it considerably over the past 12 odd months but itís still a weakness. Needs to work on her backhand return and gaining greater consistency.

Serve: 8- Itís good, and generally a weapon, but it could improve. Her ball toss can become erratic and the direction of her serve can get a little too predictable. But on the whole itís very reliable and sheís one of the better servers on tour.

Volleying: 5- She must improve her volleying as she like coming into net but thereís no point if your volleying is so suspect. Itís promising that she likes to come in but thereís not much point if your execution is so dicey.

Dexter
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:52 PM
Forehand: 9 - this is her trademark and everyone in the game knows it. It's lethal when it's one but it still might be a bit off at times so that's why I don't give it a perfect 10. She can still work on it. If she does I really believe it can be the best FH on WTA in the history (call me crazy, but I really think that way!). This is a true gift from God.

Backhand: 7 - at the very beginning it was just awful. In the longer rallies it almost always would let her down, but the improvement is out of sight. She can hit as good a BH as the FH at times. It still needs work and it can be improved but it will never be nowhere close to her FH.

Serve: 7 - I'm still not convinced. I always was saying that this is when her confidence starts. If she serves well, she usually plays a good match (mostly wins). But if it's off she losses 99% of the time (see RG final or 3r of AO). I think she has the most fluid and accurate service motion on the Tour. It does look good, there's nothing complicated about (unlike with Justine or more extreme example Marion :tape:). I wish she makes it more consistent... if it will be it's gonna be lethal.

Volleying: 6 - I for once think she has a great potential at the net. Over these 2 years I saw her doing wondeful volleys, as well as some embarrassing ones. If she can make a good one that means she's good at it. It still of course needs work, and I have an impression despite all the talking from Ana that she doesn't like to volley at all. So she either decides to make it as strenght of hers or sticks to baseline-game a la Lindsay Davenport.

Langers
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:23 PM
It still of course needs work, and I have an impression despite all the talking from Ana that she doesn't like to volley at all. So she either decides to make it as strenght of hers or sticks to baseline-game a la Lindsay Davenport.
Very good call, I agree. There's little point just coming in here and there and only winning 50% of your net approaches. Either work on it to the point where it can be considered an additional weapon, or donít bother.

As for your comment on her forehand, I agree it could go down as being pretty special. She can hit a winner when most people are just getting the rally started. Amazing power as well as having the ability to go cross court and down the line.

Her backhand is still quite suspect though. She tends to hit a LOT of balls wide off the backhand side and I still think it lets her down in the longer rallies.

Dexter
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:05 PM
Another point on her FH is that despite being so hard and flat Ana looks efortless while producing the shot (something you can't say about WS, Justine or Maria). This is pure talent.

ezekiel
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:26 PM
Ana & Nole have the same effortless big forehand but who taught whom?

Generally she has a well rounded game and she is much more versatile then others of her generation but what makes a difference at this point is just her mindset and since she is young and inexperienced her whole game goes on and off depending on her mindset and also ability to choose the right shot at the right time .

Langers
Jul 6th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Iíve actually finally realised the problem with her play at the net. As far as volleying goes, sheís not all that bad, however her movement from side to side at net is simply nowhere near quick enough. If she is to come in she has to improve her lateral movement as she is passed far too often.

jonnyroyale_13
Jul 7th, 2007, 05:22 AM
I really believe it can be the best FH on WTA in the history (call me crazy, but I really think that way!). This is a true gift from God.

Not crazy at all. But now I risk sounding crazy myself.

Ana's game is extremely special and I have no doubt your loyalties to her for so long will result in being original fans of one of the greatest champions. I feel the game is there, just needs a more consistent mindset. The best thing ive read on her was just the other day in her post-match interview VS Vaidisova. She said she knew she would come back, and I think that is a very good sign. The Montreal final is still the most comfortable, relaxed, confident ive ever seen her play which makes no sense considering it was her first tier 1 final. I dont think anyone would have beat her that day. She would make an error and it seemed like, ok, lets play a new point.

This great summer for her will make her more and more confident, and very soon she should get used to all the success. I dont think she knows just yet how good she can be and already is.

Dexter
Jul 7th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Volleying: 6 - I for once think she has a great potential at the net. Over these 2 years I saw her doing wondeful volleys, as well as some embarrassing ones. If she can make a good one that means she's good at it. It still of course needs work, and I have an impression despite all the talking from Ana that she doesn't like to volley at all. So she either decides to make it as strenght of hers or sticks to baseline-game a la Lindsay Davenport.I changed my tune a bit after the QFs. In the end of the match she displayed some fantastic touch at then end - especially in the game at 3-5 (damn, that pt at deuce was FANTASTIC!) and in the game at 2-4 too (she almost serve & volleyed once, well Nicole forced her too with short return ;)). Now I think she definitely should practise more at the net. Her potential is great in this regard and she can be a great serve & volleyer too. It might be not effective on the HCs, but definitely on grass and I think on the carpet indoors too.

Keaka
Jul 21st, 2007, 09:03 AM
Forehand: 9 - the biggest shot in her game, can hit a winner from anywhere, to anywhere on the court
Backhand:7 - not her biggest strength.She can't just relax and hit it like forehand.Maybe too safe :shrug:
Serve:8 - Great serve, knows how to kick it too, what's a big advantage.
Volleying:6 - She has good volleys, not that good approachement shot, so she has troubles volleying too.