PDA

View Full Version : Richard tells BBC that Venus & Serena are injured!!

soomaal
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:04 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/6264190.stm

"Richard Williams has been telling journalists that Serena has been diagnosed with a left calf muscle tear. No news on whether she will be fit to play against Justine Henin. Meanwhile, Venus has tendonitis in her left knee. What odds on them being fit for their doubles match later?"
BBC Sport's Caroline Cheese at Wimbledon

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:05 PM
There's already a thread on this. Richard likes to speak on the condition of the sisters, because he knows people want to know. They'll be fine.

Donatello
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:06 PM
Uhm.

davidmario
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:10 PM
How could she play and serve at 120Mph with a muscle tear???!!!
I don't believe this.
To me it was more looking like a monster cramp. I mean she had the same problems on her other calf later on so it seemed to be that her legs were cramping.

BigBabeTENNIS
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:13 PM
shit

schorsch
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:13 PM
i never know wether i should believe richard. is this for real now? cause i wouldnt say such thing if it werent true were it my daughters.

John.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:15 PM
They have just shown an interview with Serena from last night and she says she fit and ready for her next match

DefyingGravity
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:15 PM
I never believe Richard. I mean, if you watched the whole match, Serena steadily got some of her movement back, so I really think it was a cramp that hasn't quite gone away yet. I mean, I've had the same cramp that Serena had and it was just as painful, and a couple days later, it was much better.

The Kaz
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:16 PM
How are they be called "superb athletes" if they always get injured? :o

Obviously they dont train and play properly if their bodies turn to "crystal" everytime they play a tourney (which is rare) :rolleyes:

schorsch
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:17 PM

Obviously they dont train and play properly if their bodies turn to "crystal" everytime they play a tourney (which is rare) :rolleyes:

well, they have had a lot of injuries and the more you've had the more injury prone you are. thats just the way it is. it doesnt have necessarily to do with "being fit".

Craigy
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:17 PM

Oh well. They still win.

davidmario
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:18 PM
maybe it's just tactic because he knows that their opponents hear such things.

davidmario
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:21 PM

intelligent post:worship: :rolleyes:

I mean they could play tennis without moving and just slightly pushing the ball like Hingis does, but they try to win slams and give always 100 percent so that's why their body is fragile at times.

Adal
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:22 PM
Oh well. They still win.

Serena does, not Venus

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:24 PM
Memphis :wavey:

ytre
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:25 PM
You can play with microtear against Daniela, but not against Justine in good form. I doubt very much that Serena had anything more serious than cramps. People with muscle tear don't run to a dropshot like Serena did in the 3rd set and be able to play further w/o reducing to walking.

schorsch
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:25 PM
yep, that was impressive. her first tournie and she snatched a title. i felt for peer though there :/

davidmario
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:26 PM
Serena does, not Venus

in about 6 hours you will regret making that post:wavey:

Veronique
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:26 PM
Serena does, not Venus

She might make you eat those words later on today.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:27 PM
you guys :awww: maybe he's hungry

Adal
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:29 PM
Memphis :wavey:

Oops.. sorry. How could I have forgotten Tier 3 tournament :confused:

The Kaz
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:29 PM
Oh well. They still win.

Yeah thats true but i feel sorry for them when they are older :sad:

Adal
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:31 PM
in about 6 hours you will regret making that post:wavey:

Even if she beats Maria I won't regret it. Maybe if she wins Wimbledon, I will.

Craigy
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:31 PM
Yeah thats true but i feel sorry for them when they are older :sad:

Like they care what you think. :lol:

Adal
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:32 PM
Like they care what you think. :lol:

No players care what we think. Why do we even post here then?

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:35 PM
Oops.. sorry. How could I have forgotten Tier 3 tournament :confused:

Well I guess there was the matter of that Tier IV title that neither Maria or Venus won.

Speaking of which...wait, HOW many titles has Maria won this year? :scratch:

I might need some help with this one :shrug: Does anyone know?

Adal
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:36 PM
Well I guess there was the matter of that Tier IV title that neither Maria or Venus won.

GS Final? When did Venus accomplish this. Oh yeah, in 2005/

Craigy
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:44 PM
No players care what we think. Why do we even post here then?

Because its not about player's caring what we think. We post about tennis news etc.
But there are always people who derail things so they can hate.

Donatello
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:45 PM

:lol:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:52 PM

Oh, yeah I forgot about that. It was over so quickly :o

The last time Venus did that badly in a GS final, it was her first US Open and she played the #1 player in the world. The Oz Open final was like the opposite, and Venus STILL won one more game than Maria :lol:

And besides, Maria's got a LONG ways to go if she wants to catch up to Venus' 11 GS finals, Venus better slow up, or else she'll DUST her :awww:

This is fun :wavey:

Viktymise
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:52 PM

5 Slam titles, when has Maria achieved this, oh yeah NEVER

Adal
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:56 PM
Oh, yeah I forgot about that. It was over so quickly :o

The last time Venus did that badly in a GS final, it was her first US Open and she played the #1 player in the world. The Oz Open final was like the opposite, and Venus STILL won one more game than Maria :lol:

And besides, Maria's got a LONG ways to go if she wants to catch up to Venus' 11 GS finals, Venus better slow up, or else she'll DUST her :awww:

This is fun :wavey:

I'm talking about this year, I seriously don't want to know some not useful for me information like how many GS did Venus win 7-8 years ago. If you put Tier 3 title before GS Final, it's your problems. Just look at top-10 wins this year and RACE.

SharapovaFan16
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:58 PM
come on guys Serena had a cramp. Damn you could see her muscle clearly cramping even when she hit it with the racket. Not a damn tear for christ sake. If you have a tear in your muscle you are not going to be playing tennis I can guarentee that, much less win a match. I think this whole injury was overhype. Yes she was in pain, but give me a break... a god damn muscle tear haha. Hopefully Serena doesn't win this tournament. Not because I don't like her, but we'll have to hear how she won the tournament after being injured.

You want to talk tough... look at Baghdatis vs Agassi in Andre's last US Open. Marcos actually won points while playing with cramps in his legs and ended up winning the match.

As for Venus she is always hurt just like every other tour player out there. My knee hurts, my wrist is acting up. I'm sick of hearing about injuries that aren't serious. You play tennis professionally of course you are going to have aches and pains, suck it up. The Williams' sister's dad is a total bum, Yuri and his 3 fingered signs over that scrub any day.

Adal
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:00 PM
BTW why do everyone bring Maria in every Williams thread? I was talking about Venus and everyone keep bringing me Maria's results. Weird

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:07 PM
I'm talking about this year, I seriously don't want to know some not useful for me information like how many GS did Venus win 7-8 years ago. If you put Tier 3 title before GS Final, it's your problems. Just look at top-10 wins this year and RACE.

If you ask either of them, I'm SURE they'd prefer a Tier 3 title (thrashing a top 20 player in the final) over a GS final (getting thrashed by World #81) :shrug:

Adal
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:09 PM
If you ask either of them, I'm SURE they'd prefer a Tier 3 title (thrashing a top 20 player in the final) over a GS final (getting thrashed by World #81) :shrug:

Venus said in her interview that she would rather Win Tier 3 and not reach GS finals? I'd love to hear that.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:13 PM
BTW why do everyone bring Maria in every Williams thread? I was talking about Venus and everyone keep bringing me Maria's results. Weird

:shrug:

oh yeah :wavey:

Serena does, not Venus

This right here: asking for it ;) :wavey:

It's not really a smart idea to attack a player with a 24-6 W/L record and one title, ESPECIALLY if your favorite player has a 26-7 W/L record with no titles :shrug: I dunno, it's kinda lobbing one up for Sampras really...just kinda setting yourself up for a smash

mankind
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:17 PM
Well I suppose there's got to be an excuse to fall back on when Serena loses to Justine and Venus loses to Maria. :shrug: And before you badrep me, just think for a minute - you know I'm right.

schorsch
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:21 PM
baghdatis lost that match 57 sadly. :/

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:23 PM
Well I suppose there's got to be an excuse to fall back on when Serena loses to Justine and Venus loses to Maria. :shrug: And before you badrep me, just think for a minute - you know I'm right.

You misspelled when. In this instance it's spelled : I-F ;)

Adal
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
:shrug:

oh yeah :wavey:

This right here: asking for it ;) :wavey:

It's not really a smart idea to attack a player with a 24-6 W/L record and one title, ESPECIALLY if your favorite player has a 26-7 W/L record with no titles :shrug: I dunno, it's kinda lobbing one up for Sampras really...just kinda setting yourself up for a smash

Race and top-10 wins mean MUCH MORE to me. If players wins 3 tier 4 titles and and one player wins 2 GS. The player with tier 4 titles will have better W-L record, it means he's better?

RACE 2007:
6. Maria Sharapova 1645 pt. 7 tournaments played
27. Venus Williams 630 pt. 7 tournaments played

mankind
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:31 PM
You misspelled when. In this instance it's spelled : I-F ;)

My mistake. If.

SharapovaFan16
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:47 PM
meant to say he almost won it my mistake... but it was an instant classic regardless

Adal
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:24 PM
neither does Sharapova:p
:wavey:

servenrichie
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:47 PM
:wavey:
I removed my post, cos I saw Mrserenalwilliams has more than given you the right reply. You should now quit while you are a little behind.
A word of advice for the future:
It is never wise to throw stones, while living in a glass house:p

polishprodigy
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:49 PM
I think it's a tactic. I like Serena a lot, but c'mon, Richard said she had a bad hamstring during her "whooping" (his words) by Justine. I think he uses that as an excuse to somehow explain the loss.

I think Serena had a cramp and she is out of it. This is just used to get into the heads of opponents.

hingis-seles
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:10 PM

You can only find this on WTA World. Absolute GOLD. :haha:

servenrichie
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:15 PM
You can only find this on WTA World. Absolute GOLD. :haha:

Why is it so funny or difficult to understand?
When you have won slams, winning a title is all that matters and not getting to finals und being being whipped like you stole something and to make matters worse, by an old wash-out, out-of-form player:lol:

Apoleb
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:20 PM
If it is serious, she would retire.

The End.

SV_Fan
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:26 PM
It was just a carmp from spams.

SV_Fan
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by mrserenawilliams
If you ask either of them, I'm SURE they'd prefer a Tier 3 title (thrashing a top 20 player in the final) over a GS final (getting thrashed by World #81).

That tier 3 was basically tune-up you can say. Venus likes to win the slams every player doews so what are you talking about.

Adal
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:34 PM
I removed my post, cos I saw Mrserenalwilliams has more than given you the right reply. You should now quit while you are a little behind.
A word of advice for the future:
It is never wise to throw stones, while living in a glass house:p

I'm still SURE Maria had a better year than Venus SO FAR. Rankings show it.

Midnite Surfer
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:37 PM
I thought they said it was a massive spasm that may have caused a muscle tear. That happens. The muscle can spasm so violently that the muscle tears slightly. If she's had a tight hamstring then that may have also contributed. It's unfortunate but it happens to the best of them.:sad:

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:52 PM

as a WILLIAMS AND SHARAPOVA fan i have to disagree with you. I'm sure Venus would have loved the extra half a million dollars and being in the final over some measly tier III tournament. it was awesome that she won it because it was her first stop back on the tour, but with that being said, it was even better having maria make the final of the OZ i think. even though she was wiped off the court by my favorite player, maria had some good wins on her way. can't the fans of these three women just appreciate all of them or at least respect them?:help::wavey:

dreamgoddess099
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:54 PM
How could she play and serve at 120Mph with a muscle tear???!!!
I don't believe this.

Did you see that serve? Serena never even got off the ground. She could serve like that because she has very strong shoulders, but she didn't push off on her legs at all on that serve.

wetfre
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:20 PM
Lol most of you guys talk like you won 24+ grand slam, ill like to see you play against the williams sister. you wont last even a point against them.

Leo_DFP
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:25 PM
Richard is out of his mind. No one believes a word that comes out of his mouth. He was quiet for years, and then he came back with a roar yesterday hopping around that players box like an old fool.

Btw, that journalist's name is Caroline Cheese? How unfortunate. :tape:

Adal
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:30 PM
Lol most of you guys talk like you won 24+ grand slam, ill like to see you play against the williams sister. you wont last even a point against them.

Omgz!!111!!!! POST OF THE YEAR!!11

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:53 PM
Then who is lying? The sisters or the father?

wetfre
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:58 PM
Then who is lying? The sisters or the father?

I say you are lieing:wavey:

bellascarlett
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:59 PM
as a WILLIAMS AND SHARAPOVA fan i have to disagree with you. I'm sure Venus would have loved the extra half a million dollars and being in the final over some measly tier III tournament. it was awesome that she won it because it was her first stop back on the tour, but with that being said, it was even better having maria make the final of the OZ i think. even though she was wiped off the court by my favorite player, maria had some good wins on her way. can't the fans of these three women just appreciate all of them or at least respect them?:help::wavey:

What's really disgusting is how that poster has Maria in his signature and can't see objectively. :help: :o Well this thread is full of his poor replies regarding a player in his sig. Nice.

Paialii
Jul 3rd, 2007, 05:07 PM
While I would never jump to conclusions and call Richard a liar and begin speculating his intentions, I will say that you shouldn't always listen to him so literally. If Serena did actually tear the calf muscle, she wouldn't have gained mobility through the Hantuchova match. If it was a severe cramp or spasm, she would have, and she did.

If Serena comes out and plays doubles (doesn't look like it's gonna happen), she'll play singles. I think having a day (maybe two) off will do her leg a lot of good, assuming it was just a bad cramp.

Meanwhile, can we please stop turning threads about specific players into debates between rivals? It's ridiculous and contributes nothing to the thread.

roooobert
Jul 3rd, 2007, 05:08 PM
I'm still SURE Maria had a better year than Venus SO FAR. Rankings show it.

rankings dont say a shit, and no one cares the next week.. how many cares today that serena was ranked 80+ in january, everyone knows she won the australian open.. it would be really funny if vee ( in such lousy form) beat Maria

alias
Jul 3rd, 2007, 05:31 PM
I wonder if Serena and Venus are embarrassed by his behavior?

serenafan08
Jul 3rd, 2007, 05:40 PM
I don't think Serena is injured...it just looks like an excruciating case of cramps. She looked pretty good in the third set yesterday, and her ginger movement proves that she'll be alright. When you cramp that badly, the effects will linger for a while. I cramped once around my quadriceps and knees, and boy let me tell you it was painful!!! :eek: It's like your body shuts down and tightens up, and Baghdatis was right - your muscles feel like they're broken. Luckily for me it was in between matches, but I couldn't move my leg at all for about five minutes until it loosened up. I had to stay hydrated, and I couldn't move that fast. I could move well enough to track down the balls, but I couldn't get a powerful take-off because it was still grabbing a little bit. That's what happens when you cramp up. I think Richard and the media are blowing this way out of proportion. Even the "hamstring injury" seems to be fine. If Serena says she's alright, I'll take her word for it.

Adal
Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:51 PM
rankings dont say a shit, and no one cares the next week.. how many cares today that serena was ranked 80+ in january, everyone knows she won the australian open.. it would be really funny if vee ( in such lousy form) beat Maria
Ranking still show everything. Serena's rank is right now 5, and if you see a number of tournaments she played you could tell she had a good results. When she was ranked 80+ that showed she didn't have any good results. Maria and Venus played the same number of tournaments and Maria has more points: had done better at BIG tournaments, beaten more top players.

PatrickRyan
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:04 PM
If Serena was that injured I highly doubt it that she would still be playing both singles and doubles.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:17 PM
It's quite obvious he is making it so they don't have any pressure in their matches and when or if they lose they will have an excuse