PDA

View Full Version : is there a lof non black american serena/venus fans?

dementievafan123
Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:57 AM
just wondering ive always wondered about this i personally dont like the williams that much and dont maek it a big deal cuz u know its true that a lot of ppl dont like them i just wanna know why espn shows so much of their matches over stuf like nadals tie break which really pisses me off

go hingis
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:01 AM
I think they have alot of fans that enjoy watching and the rest enjoy cheering for their opponent. Most spectators and fans go for the underdog in every match, unless their personal fave is playing.

mandy7
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:02 AM
create a poll

4 options

i'm a black american williams fan
i'm a non black american williams fan
i'm a black non american williams fan
i'm a non black non american fan

and you will find out :)

Nemo_Kool
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:02 AM
im a non-black american uber fan!!!

dementievafan123
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:18 AM
ic, i just see all this pro serena and anti- serena threads on here i just assumed there has already been a huge resolve about this in the past so maybe someone can give me a conclusion

mandy7
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:26 AM
ic, i just see all this pro serena and anti- serena threads on here i just assumed there has already been a huge resolve about this in the past so maybe someone can give me a conclusion

the only conclusion is
Williams fans do not know where the player forums are :p
;)

before i get 349856 bad reps, i'm kidding

Dan23
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:28 AM
the only conclusion is
;)

true though ;)

Naranoc
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:31 AM
:weirdo: Of course there are.

dreamgoddess099
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:51 AM
just wondering ive always wondered about this i personally dont like the williams that much and dont maek it a big deal cuz u know its true that a lot of ppl dont like them i just wanna know why espn shows so much of their matches over stuf like nadals tie break which really pisses me off

This is truly the silliest question ever posed here. Why would there not be a lot of non black American Williams fans? Unless you think there is no reason for non blacks to be fans of blacks. And as far as a lot of people not liking them, it's actually not them they don't like, it's more about what they represent; change in a predominately white sport that for the most part wants to remain that way. True that the Williams are very very very popular with the general American public, as evidenced by tons of polls, but the powers that be behind the sport still don't want tennis to because a so-called "black sport" like the NFL, NBA, track and field, ect. Also ESPN shows Williams matches because they get the highest ratings in America, like I said, they are very very popular with the America public. Nadal may be big in Spain, but in America he's not very well known compared with the Williams or Andy.

No Name Face
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:19 AM
Serena is the most popular female athlete in the United States. Venus is #3. Blacks only account for about only 12% of the total U.S. population (maybe less, because the hispanic population is increasing dramatically). You do the math.

SJW
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:21 AM
the only conclusion is
;)

Most threads are started by the "non fans" though. E.g. this one. :p

To answer the question, no. Only black Americans like Serena.
Nobody else. Anywhere.

morningglory
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:21 AM
If you wanna know the population make-up of the Williams fans then go start a poll in their forum :lol:
As far as I'm concerned, I'm asian. :p

PamShriverRockz
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:23 AM
Worst. Thread. Ever.

:ras:

mandy7
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:26 AM
you all chose not to ignore it ;)

Nobody else. Anywhere.
amen sistah!
therefor as a white European, i do not like Serena
:lol:

mandy7
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:27 AM
If you wanna know the population make-up of the Williams fans then go start a poll in their forum :lol:
As far as I'm concerned, I'm asian. :p

Do all asians have ugly signatures, or is it just you? :bolt:

Dino?Dino.Dino!
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:32 AM
I'm a non black non american fan. I've got a black soul though. :p
The thread starter's intentions are a bit blurry to me.

dorkgirl
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:47 AM
For me, i like Venus, but not Serena. It's not all or nothing for everyone.

davidmario
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:53 AM
me

Vlad Tepes
Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:02 AM
I actually think it's a very interesting question, as I've also often wondered about this. Don't start with the bad reps, this is not something racial or ignorant, it's just that we hardly have any black population over here and all we know about them leads us to believe that they form the large majority of the Williams fanbase. Of course there are people of other ethnicities supporting them, as both sisters have been very successful, but I always thought that most black people support the Williams sisters and not another female tennis player because maybe they identify with them more and they represent a story of success and glory.

John.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:04 AM
I'm non black and non American, and I am a fan

frontier
Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:24 AM
I am a non-black Serena and Venus fan,I live in a small town and the other day waiting for the bus reading the sports section of a local paper an old white dude asked me did Venus win and I said yes and he was so excited and said he was realy worried when she went a set down I was pleasantly surprised.
Believe me they have a lot of fans that are non black,my friends particularly like Serena.I think the people who start the 'i dont like serena threads'are generally eastern european because there is a lot of racism in there countries.

winone23
Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:33 AM
I actually think it's a very interesting question, as I've also often wondered about this. Don't start with the bad reps, this is not something racial or ignorant, it's just that we hardly have any black population over here and all we know about them leads us to believe that they form the large majority of the Williams fanbase. Of course there are people of other ethnicities supporting them, as both sisters have been very successful, but I always thought that most black people support the Williams sisters and not another female tennis player because maybe they identify with them more and they represent a story of success and glory.

You're wrong. Many black people credit the Williams sisters for brining them into tennis. Thus they become Williams fans and tennis fans and majority of the black Williams fans you see on this board are fans of other players male or female. Blacks are only 12% of the population in the US and most are not tennis fans. ESPN shows Williams matches because Venus and Serena are popular American tennis players that have the ability to capture the attention of tennis fans and casual tennis fans of any race who bump up the ratings.

mandy7
Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:35 AM
I think the people who start the 'i dont like serena threads'are generally eastern european because there is a lot of racism in there countries.

that's just stupid
some ppl just don't like her cause she is serena
got nothing to do with racism
and i really don't think you should pile up all eastern european thread starters that way

Craigy
Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:38 AM
im a non-black american uber fan!!!

Me too.
Well Serena fan.

Donatello
Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:53 AM
that's just stupid
some ppl just don't like her cause she is serena
got nothing to do with racism
and i really don't think you should pile up all eastern european thread starters that way

The truth hurts, out of all the Serena-hate threads an estimated 60% comes out of eastern Europe. Look it up.

also Micha Krajicek is a non-black non-american Serena fan, that should embody the least expected.

miffedmax
Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:59 AM
I like Vee but not Ree. I respect and admire her as a great champion, but I just don't find her very warm. Venus seems to let the mask slip a little more.

supergrunt
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:14 PM
I think the Williams Sisters have a lot of fans of all different ethnicities.

simba
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:23 PM
i am not black but American. James is black and he is not my fav, i love Andy. i don't understand why Serena's fans has to be black?????? most of the people that hate the williams sister is much deeper that just not liking the ways they play. there is a difference between not liking and hating. you need to examine your life if you hate someone that you don't even know,

mandy7
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:25 PM
The truth hurts, out of all the Serena-hate threads an estimated 60% comes out of eastern Europe. Look it up.
and they all dislike her cause she's black?

also Micha Krajicek is a non-black non-american Serena fan, that should embody the least expected.
It's Misa, Krajicek prefers it that way.
she's also half czech, a lot of ppl consider that half Eastern European

ce
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:26 PM
:wavey:

Fidello
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:47 PM
I am a non-black Serena and Venus fan,I live in a small town and the other day waiting for the bus reading the sports section of a local paper an old white dude asked me did Venus win and I said yes and he was so excited and said he was realy worried when she went a set down I was pleasantly surprised.
Believe me they have a lot of fans that are non black,my friends particularly like Serena.I think the people who start the 'i dont like serena threads'are generally eastern european because there is a lot of racism in there countries.

Yes, we from east Europe are all racists, but thats because we had so much trouble with black people throughout our history. You see, they kill all our zebras and elephants and completely destroyed our rain forests. Such bad people, those blacks.

But more interesting question would be: Are there any African Americans that are NOT WS fans? My guess would be NO.

SJW
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:51 PM
you all chose not to ignore it ;)

I take it if uninformed, bigoted fools made uneducated posts about Daniela, you wouldn't be around to correct them if it was in GM.

winone23
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:52 PM
Yes, we from east Europe are all racists, but thats because we had so much trouble with black people throughout our history. You see, they kill all our zebras and elephants and completely destroyed our rain forests. Such bad people, those blacks.

But more interesting question would be: Are there any African Americans that are NOT WS fans? My guess would be NO.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

mandy7
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:52 PM
I take it if uninformed, bigoted fools made uneducated posts about Daniela, you wouldn't be around to correct them if it was in GM.
Gosh no, i would not dare :scared:.

StarDuvallGrant
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:01 PM
Why are only white fans given the luxury of not having to validate who they are fans of?

mandy7
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:10 PM
Why are only white fans given the luxury of not having to validate who they are fans of?

:awww: would you like a hug

Misa: cause she's the only decent Dutch player, plus, she happens to be nice

Daniela: great game, have been fan since 2002, allthrough the 'throwing-talent-away'-years. just a very nice girl and a wicked backhand down the line

Ana: sweetheart, good game, hot accent

Hingis: she got me into tennis back in the day

Kim: cause she's kim

ampers&
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:15 PM
You know?

This thread is completely unnecessary and, like others, I question the thread starter's intentions of creating such a thread. The answer to the question is so obviously yes that it's pointless to even bring it up as a topic of discussion.

Infiniti2001
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:16 PM
Yes black folk support the sisters--- but when they take their Mc Donald's tour on the road their audience is predominantly white .Same happens at the Owl foundation exhos :shrug:

silverwhite
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:21 PM
I'm not :wavey:

Actually, a more interesting question would be if there are any African Americans here who dislike the sisters. :scratch:

Onyxangel
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:22 PM
Wait a minute...

You people mean to tell me that the Williams sisters are BLACK?!

... and all this time....:fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

StarDuvallGrant
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:23 PM
You know?

This thread is completely unnecessary and, like others, I question the thread starter's intentions of creating such a thread. The answer to the question is so obviously yes that it's pointless to even bring it up as a topic of discussion.

Yes this thread is unnecessary just like some of the ignorance exhibited. I guess I'll go get my hug now :rolleyes:

Chamomile
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:35 PM
I am asian and non american,and i like Serena!:)

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:09 PM
Come on now its obvious that there are a lot of non- black williams fans...*sigh*

hollywood7172
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:14 PM
there is absolutely nothing wrong with the majority of williams' fans being black. it's human nature. it is natural. i find NOTHING wrong with this. americans cheer for americans, serbians cheer for serbians, europeans cheer for europians, asians cheer for asians, blacks cheer for blacks. it's healthy so long as one doesn't cheer AGAINST a race because of race.

i am asian-american, and while serena and venus are not my top 3 fave tennis players, i am definitely a fan of the sisters. i think they are great role models, great tennis players, well brought up and have their heads on right. sure serena gets arrogant, but she has the grand slams to back them up. venus has a great attitude and rarely makes rude/immature statements like so many other teenage phenoms. i love the sisters. even though i have cheered against serena many times, but that's only because she kept beating my fave-- jennifer capriati.

tennis needs more players like the williams. they have done SO much for tennis. trying to trivialize their merits by turning it into a racial thing is sad and pathetic.

tennisfan2480
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:16 PM
I am definitely a non-black Williams' fan.

However, only since they've come back from injury/illness. When they dominated, I couldn't stand them as they always found a way to beat my favorite(s) in a very IN YOUR FACE kind of way. They've humbled a bit over the years.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:19 PM
I am definitely a non-black Williams' fan.

However, only since they've come back from injury/illness. When they dominated, I couldn't stand them as they always found a way to beat my favorite(s) in a very IN YOUR FACE kind of way. They've humbled a bit over the years.

Man those were the days...I luved it when they had that cockiness to them....lol...because their game backed it up....they were BAAAD back then.....:worship: They get that from their daddy Richard with his ignut self lol

Fidello
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:22 PM
there is absolutely nothing wrong with the majority of williams' fans being black. it's human nature. it is natural. i find NOTHING wrong with this. americans cheer for americans, serbians cheer for serbians, europeans cheer for europians, asians cheer for asians, blacks cheer for blacks. it's healthy so long as one doesn't cheer AGAINST a race because of race.Everything you said is true BUT from time to time we, WS haters, are being accused of being racists just because they're black.
I hate them for their poor gamesmanship, non-existing sport ethics and total disrespect towards their opponents. And for the fact that they were forced into tennis by their abusive father...

...but not for being black.

Jasmin
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:24 PM
On this site it seems like there are a lot of white non fans but on the Harris poll there have to be people that are fans that are non white because Serena and Venus are always number 1 or 2 ahead of Maria S and my favorite.

I think all the hate type people perhaps gravitate towards this site. Sorry.

cellophane
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:25 PM
No, white fans are RACISTS!!!!!!

Infiniti2001
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:25 PM
Everything you said is true BUT from time to time we, WS haters, are being accused of being racists just because they're black.
I hate them for their poor gamesmanship, non-existing sport ethics and total disrespect towards their opponents. And for the fact that they were forced into tennis by their abusive father...

you're fucking kidding right? :rolleyes:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:31 PM
Everything you said is true BUT from time to time we, WS haters, are being accused of being racists just because they're black.

:weirdo::cuckoo:

Hey, you know, there's life outside of Bobby's World :yeah:

You should join the rest of us on planet Earth :wavey: Although, you will need to have the use of a functioning brain though :unsure::awww: Can you find a way to get it work?

Fidello
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
you're fucking kidding right? :rolleyes:He's been accused by the law for his violent behavior, if you think sisters were spared from some sort of abuse by him then you're blind. Or just plain evil.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:34 PM
Venus and Serena were NOT abused by Richard. If you think so then you're the blind one.

Jasmin
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:44 PM
did you mean there have to be a lot of white fans.
and yes this website brings in the hardcore fans and a lot of hardcore hater and/or racists. i can only :rolleyes: at this forum a lot. Sadly I contribute to it a lot by responding to the racist and hateful crap that gets spewed here. So I'll stop.

White, non white...people that are not black have to be voting for Venus and Serena to be number one and two on the Harris Poll. Yeah you have to really take a break off of the forum when there's nothing going on. Well I have to. I'm tried too be around more good and positive people. However I don't mind people not liking the sisters for good reasons or being indifferent. There are a lot of players that I don't get into but I don't hate them at all.

Pureracket
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:45 PM
I know this is off topic, but I never really knew how funny Mandy7 was until this thread. LOL!!!!!

Highlandman
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:48 PM
I am a white very , very big Venus - fan :p - and I like Serena as well ;)

Pureracket
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:48 PM

But more interesting question would be: Are there any African Americans that are NOT WS fans? My guess would be NO.So ignorant.....so so ignorant....LOL!!!!!

Pureracket
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:50 PM
He's been accused by the law for his violent behavior, if you think sisters were spared from some sort of abuse by him then you're blind. Or just plain evil.
Now, you're becoming sad.:sad:

LoveFifteen
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:53 PM
I'm a white American fan of Venus, Serena and Oracene! :hearts:

But not Richard. :scared:

Fidello
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:54 PM
Venus and Serena were NOT abused by Richard. If you think so then you're the blind one.

When Venus lost to JJ last month in RG, Richard's reaction WAS (mildly) abusive. For God sake, he beat Oracene. And Oracene forbade them to go out with boys until they were 18. When the girls played on the courts in Compton, he paid neighborhood kids to stand at the fence and shout obscenities and racial insults at them.

These are all facts

Flightspeed
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:55 PM

Richard is the best!

Pureracket
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:58 PM
When Venus lost to JJ last month in RG, Richard's reaction WAS (mildly) abusive. For God sake, he beat Oracene. And Oracene forbade them to go out with boys until they were 18. When the girls played on the courts in Compton, he paid neighborhood kids to stand at the fence and shout obscenities and racial insults at them.

These are all factsWilliams fans....ya'll know what/who we have on our hands here, right?

1.Being a non-fan but strangely knowing the history(most of them lies) of the Williams Sisters and their background

2. Hates the Williams Sisters but shows up in every thread about them

3. Says nasty, hateful comments but often flees when there is a response

4. No "serious" fav he/she ever has.

5. Get almost giddy in the threads about race.

Mina Vagante
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:03 PM
i'm a black non american serena fan ;)

Becool
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:04 PM
i'm a white south american and my favorite athlete in every sport is serena

Fidello
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:09 PM
Williams fans....ya'll know what/who we have on our hands here, right?

1.Being a non-fan but strangely knowing the history(most of them lies) of the Williams Sisters and their background

2. Hates the Williams Sisters but shows up in every thread about them

3. Says nasty, hateful comments but often flees when there is a response

4. No "serious" fav he/she ever has.

5. Get almost giddy in the threads about race.

Whatever, be like that. I can't help you.

http://www.mazaru.com/Three_Monkeys.jpg

PLP
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:31 PM
Umm...Yeah!??

:rolleyes:

Jasmin
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:18 PM

I'm not white but I agree with loving V, S and O. I'm no Richard fan. I'm also a Jelena fan!!

No Name Face
Jul 4th, 2007, 02:35 AM
i'm a black american and my favorite player is a russian chick (elena dementieva) followed CLOSELY by serena williams. i'd say they're tied because if serena ever played elena, i know serena would kill her, so i can't even root against her in that case. so they're pretty much equal. i don't like any american male players except blake and the late great agassi...the rest of my favorite players aren't american.

my point is that you cannot generalize.
i don't like venus that much.

I like Vee but not Ree. I respect and admire her as a great champion, but I just don't find her very warm. Venus seems to let the mask slip a little more.

seriously? i feel the exact opposite. i think serena is warm and venus is really cold.

woosey
Jul 4th, 2007, 02:42 AM

good point. as in, are all the people who like henin white?

Stamp Paid
Jul 4th, 2007, 02:57 AM
I know this is off topic, but I never really knew how funny Mandy7 was until this thread. LOL!!!!!Sarcasm, I hope.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jul 4th, 2007, 03:12 AM

:smash: :topic: :silly:

dearplastic
Jul 4th, 2007, 03:23 AM
I'm not black. But I'm obsessed with Serena and that heavenly chocolate body she has.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jul 4th, 2007, 03:23 AM

I'll take this ridiculous thread seriously for a second to answer the above:

I personally believe that most people from the United States, regardless of ethnicity, do not know the names of most tennis players because they don't care about and don't watch tennis! :lol:

Even so, I'm sure that most black folks as well as most people of most other cultures in the United States probably do know of and respect the William's sisters as they are more than just tennis players, they are sports icons! :worship:

:smoke:

tennisrocks123
Jul 4th, 2007, 03:54 AM
you know, im an asian american and i am a huge williams sisters fan.. i still believe that america has some "favoriting" over the white players though... Look at the us open , any time jennifer capriati played serena, they'd always cheer for the "ALL AMERICAN GIRL",.... and even in 2002, the crowd cheered for mauresmo over venus and obviously davenport over serena.. it just is really disappointing.. And if there was a Blake vs Roddick match up,, they'd be more for Andy.. Although Blake does receive good support, "J block"., lol

mykarma
Jul 4th, 2007, 02:21 PM

Nobody else. Anywhere.

mykarma
Jul 4th, 2007, 02:33 PM

You are a racist.

.Andrew.
Jul 4th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I am Filipino/American.

I am a huge fan of Serena.

panda7
Jul 4th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Non black European fan here - after Kim, Serena is my next fave and Venus belongs in the next group with Amelie and Svetlana

dreamgoddess099
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Yes black folk support the sisters--- but when they take their Mc Donald's tour on the road their audience is predominantly white .Same happens at the Owl foundation exhos :shrug:

Preach.:worship: This is like asking if Oprah has non black fans or if non blacks buy hip hop.:smash: Especially since Oprah's audience is like 80% non black and hip hop is bought by like 70% non blacks. I sense that a lot of people from other countries really don't understand just how much of a minority blacks are in America. Here is a part of the 2005-2006 USA Census.

White persons 2005(a)............................80.2%
Black persons 2005(a)............................12.8%
American Indian and Alaska Native persons 2005(a)..1.0%
Asian persons,2005(a).............................4.3%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander2005(a)..0.2%
Persons reporting two or more races,2005..........1.5%
Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin,2005 (b).....14.4%
White persons not Hispanic,2005.................66.9%

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html

Jasmin
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:34 PM
good point. as in, are all the people who like henin white?

There may be a few black fans that like her just like there's only a few white fans that like her.

Jericho
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:39 PM
non-black american WS fan :p

Preach.:worship: This is like asking if Oprah has non black fans or if non blacks buy hip hop.:smash: Especially since Oprah's audience is like 80% non black and hip hop is bought by like 70% non blacks. I sense that a lot of people from other countries really don't understand just how much of a minority blacks are in America.

yeah i don't think many people from other countries understand the dynamic of race here in america. yeah we've come a long way, but racism still exists.

dreamgoddess099
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:00 AM

The only reason you would figure all African Americans like the Williams is if you yourself used the same shallow criteria of race when picking your favs. You obviously do, that's why you think others do it. And your guess would be wrong. Not all blacks watch or care for tennis or tennis players. Also, many of the up and coming black players list non black players as there favs. Just as Venus and Serena grew up idolizing Monica Seles and not Zina Garrison or Althea Gibson. Mind you, they knew who they were and now have a much better appreciation for them, but growing up Seles was the one they wanted to be like. Although it's true Venus and Serena got a lot of blacks into watching the sport, it's only a large amount when you compare it to the very few who followed the sport before the Williams's success in it. Face it, people of no race want to follow a sport where they feel they are not welcome or included, the people who control tennis still have that "white is preferred" thing going on. There are a lot of black players who want to play professional tennis but simply are not being sot after. They are being passed up for Eastern block players because those players are white. Marketers are just more interested in appealing to that 80% percent of the US population.

In The Zone
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:06 AM
I'm white. :)

fufuqifuqishahah
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:40 AM
i am a non-black serena and vee fan, but i am a minority, so that may? have smething to do with it? but i like all ethnicities of players so i dont think it really plays that much of a role for ME, HOWEVER, i think if I consider the ratio of white players to non-whites and compare that to the ratio of white players that i'm a fan of and non-whites that i'm a fan of, then the latter is smaller. :)