PDA

View Full Version : Stopping for rain.

twight6
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:34 AM
Nadal is in a 3rd set tiebreak, won the first 2 sets, it's 7-7. It starts raining, immediately the umpire calls the match.

Sharapova vs. Sugiyama, Sharapova up 5-3 30-15. It starts raining, they proceed to play to 40-15, 40-30, then the match and the umpire never calls the match. All other courts had cleared and stopped playing.

Venus vs. Morigami. Venus serving, 3rd set, 6-5 up. 0-15, it begins raining. Chair doesn't call the match. 15-40, the chair still makes them play. Deuce, it's raining harder. Everyone is off the courts, center court has even been covered. Venus wins the next 2 points, in the rain, and the match.

Why was Nadal's match called at 7-7 in a tiebreak in possibly the last set, but Venus' isn't and it's 4 points from the match. Or Sharapova's which plays 3 more points. :shrug:

I'm not a fan of Morigami or Sugiyama, and I don't hate Venus or Sharapova so don't misunderstand my thread please. I'm not upset that Venus/Maria won or that Ai/Akiko lost, I'm just trying to figure out how there can be such a difference. And yes, I realize that it's up to the chair... but they should call all the matches at once. When one court leaves, they all should.

heytennis
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:36 AM
I have no idea but I agree with you that all courts should be uniform in when play ends.

LucasArg
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:40 AM
:rain: :umbrella: :rain:

LeonHart
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:42 AM
I agree. I believe a match have been delayed on match points before as well, can't recall which match

AJZ.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:15 AM
I'm not upset that it happened in Ai's match, but it really SHOULD be stopped no matter what. No one wants to give up and say "Well I won't run for the next points" because it's raining, you know? Whether it's at 1-1 or on match point.
It should be stopped when the courts are dangerous - and they were :shrug:
The umpire in Nadal's match was just smarter.

Bruno71
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:20 AM
Frankly, if I were Ai, I'd tell the umpire to call the match or I'd retire it. What's the point in playing even a point when you could slip & fall & hurt yourself? The umpire was basically saying they were confident that Ai would lose anyway, so may as well save yourself from injury.

Brett.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:39 AM
Yeh, I agree with you. I watched Venus Williams vs Akiko Morigami, and they continued their match for at least one game in a near-heavy rains.