PDA

View Full Version : Daniela's 4th round Interview

mdterp01
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:38 PM
D. Hantuchova - 2 June
Monday, 2 July, 2007

Serena Williams (USA)[7] beat Daniela Hantuchova (SVK)[10] 6-2, 6-7, 6-2

Q. When you went over when Serena was down on the ground, what did you think was wrong with her?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: I asked the umpire and he told me she was cramping. That's what was going on.

Q. How difficult did you keep your concentration on Serena's cramp?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Yeah, it's tough. You never want something like this to happen. It's so hard to play against somebody that you know is struggling, and you kind of feel sorry. At the same time you have to be tough and still play your game.

Yeah, mentally it was very, very tough plus having to deal with the rain so, yeah, the conditions were difficult.

Q. When it started to rain, what went through your mind?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Well, there were a couple of rain breaks, so I don't know which one you mean.

Q. The longer one.

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Yeah, definitely I don't think it helped me. I mean, when somebody's cramping, usually it's because you're getting tired. She had a couple of hours to rest. After that I think, you know, she played very well.

So, yeah, this time didn't help me.

Q. As the third set went on, what did you think of her injury situation?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Well, in the third set, I don't think there was anything wrong at all. I think she was moving very well. I don't think there can be too much wrong when you serve 120 miles an hour. It was definitely a tough set but I still felt like I had my chances, but I didn't take them.

Q. You don't think you had any advantages in the third set?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: In the third set, I don't think so at all. I think third set was very even. I would say that if, you know, maybe there was no rain, that would have been advantage for me. But in the third set, there was nothing like that.

Q. How will you remember this match?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Uhm, very exciting. I was really enjoying it. The crowd was great. It's always to be great on the Centre Court. I think I can take a lot of positives from the match. I feel like I can play against anyone and definitely I felt like I had my chances today, I just didn't take them. But, you know, I can learn from that and be better next time.

Q. What about the opportunity that you had there? What was going through your mind when you saw she was clearly not herself?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Well, I was not thinking about anything at all. I was just, you know, waiting what was going to happen and just try to still be focused and think about what I have to do in my game to win.

Q. Serena said when you hit the dropshot she got fired up. Do you have any thoughts or comments about that?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: I don't know what dropshot you mean because I hit a couple.

Q. I think the first one after her injury.

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: I don't remember. Was it in the third set?

Q. I believe so.

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Well, I don't think there was anything wrong with me hitting the dropshot. I do it all the time. Yeah, I mean, I do hit a lot of dropshots. That's part of my game.

Q. She said she would do the same thing.

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Yeah, I mean, a lot of players do hit dropshots, so.

Q. In terms of strategy, did you have to think about any strategy based on her condition?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: No. I just tried to stay focused on my game and not think too much what was going on on the other side, just try to do the right things.

Q. Have you had this kind of situation in your career before, somebody injured, you have to deal with it?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: A couple times there were some opponents that had some kind of injury. As I said, it's tough because you feel sorry for them because you know what they have to go through. But at the same time you still have to be focused on what you have to do on the court.

Q. What advice did you get from your coach in terms of how to play Serena with her injury?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Just the same as at the start of the match: to play my game and not to think about what was going on on the other side.

Q. What were you thinking when you walked to her?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: I did really feel sorry because it didn't look very, very nice. She really looked like she was struggling a lot. You know, there was nothing much I could have done, so just kind of waited what was going to happen.

Q. Was this a match that Serena won or that you lost?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Tough to say. I think I lost it. I think I had my chances. Maybe if I would have kept the ball in play a little longer, had been a little more patient, that could have been different.

I think the third set, there were couple points here and there that decided it. Like I said, I definitely feel like I had my chances; just didn't take them today.
-------------------------------------

Umm...yeah Daniela. Keep telling yourself that Serena was moving well and it was even in the third set. Keep telling yourself that you couldn't come up with a strategy to beat an injured player. Whatever makes you deal with this shabby loss. :rolleyes: :lol: :yawn: :zzz: :haha:

SerenaSlam
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:41 PM
decent interview

edificio
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks for posting. She definitely had her chances.

schorsch
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:49 PM
she handled herself so well in the interview :hug:

heytennis
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:51 PM
I really dont think you should be ridiculing Daniela. Serena WAS moving pretty well in the third. Daniela had her chances but got tight and choked.

NyCPsU
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:52 PM

she did and very positive as well, which is good to hear:)

yet, some people like the threadstarter need to insult and shit on her regardless..so immature:o

mdterp01
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:53 PM
Serena wasn't moving well. Serena was playing low percentage tennis by trying to go for winners as soon as she could. Anything too far out of range, Serena didn't even go for.

sharapovarulz1
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:53 PM
I really dont think you should be ridiculing Daniela. Serena WAS moving pretty well in the third. Daniela had her chances but got tight and choked.

I agree, pretty shameful to be dissing Dani!

Myggen
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:55 PM
She shows how soft she is. She shouldn't feel sorry for any opponent. She is there to beat Serena, not feel sorry for her. Especially not when the circumstances were like they were...

sharapovarulz1
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:56 PM
She shows how soft she is. She shouldn't feel sorry for any opponent. She is there to beat Serena, not feel sorry for her. Especially not when the circumstances were like they were...

I know yeah but it shows the girl has a heart :)

mdterp01
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:56 PM

yet, some people like the threadstarter need to insult and shit on her regardless..so immature:o

Whatever! Even the commentators talked about how Daniela, EVEN WITH A RAIN DELAY TO COME UP WITH A STRATEGY, didn't use one to move Serena around the court. So I'm just calling it like it is...the same way you same people do when Serena is involved. Can't have it both ways just because its your fave this time.

If anyone has seen my comments about Daniela before I have always liked her. I have followed her ever since her Indian Wells win over Hingis years ago, and hoped she'd get it back together to rise again. I think she's much more beautiful than you know who. But, I will call things out as I see them. And to think that Serena's movement was anything near what it was before the cramp/strain is just delusional.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:57 PM

Everybody would feel sorry, it's not like she has heart made of stone :rolleyes:

schorsch
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:58 PM
sorry that dani is a nice girl myggen!

MK hamster
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:00 PM
It was almost as if she was trying to be nice by not hitting easy winners... Then, of course came the 3rd set, when that wouldn't matter, due to Williams' miraculous recovery...

heytennis
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:04 PM
i'm sorry can someone fill me in on how when Hantuchova says that Serena didn't win the match, that she (hantuchova) lost it. She is considered a good sport. How is what Hantuchova said any different from what Serena always says?

Well she gave Serena credit as well, something that Serena rarely does.

But Dani really did lose the match. A similar scenario was against Sharapova at YEC '04 except Sharapova was good enough to capitalize on Serena's injury. Dani had chances and lost. A mentally stronger opponent could have beat Serena quite easily.

jochem
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:08 PM
She just doesn't have that killer's mentality... I mean, it's great being a human being during such a match but you gotta have the guts and professionalism to put that aside and try your best to win the match. I don't understand how a smart girl like her does not understand that the key to a possible victory was to move Serena around with slices and angles... stil she cramped and hit it all back to Serena who took full advantage of it and did a great job winning the match.

IceSkaTennisFan
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:11 PM

Exactly. Very nice to see her taking positives from it. She can do better in the future. Serena's one of the best players on the tour this season in majors, so to take a set off of her and to have had that big lead in the second shows that Daniela has the capability. She just has to be able to be consistent and put it together when it counts. She has her work cut out for her.

IceHock
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:14 PM
i'm sorry can someone fill me in on how when Hantuchova says that Serena didn't win the match, that she (hantuchova) lost it. She is considered a good sport. How is what Hantuchova said any different from what Serena always says?

Cause Daniela was playing an injured opponent. Big difference but idc about it when serenas says that.

RVD
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:15 PM
I'm gonna be str8-up and just say that as a big time Serena fan, Daniela has regained my respect. She seemed honest and forthcoming in this interview, and sounded very sincere.

However, she is also saying the right things when asked certain leading questions. I have to give it to her for not saying that Serena won also. A champion does NOT bow to another player when asked who really won. So good for her. :cool:

Lastly, for anyone to think that Serena was 100% in the 3rd set, is lunacy! I've had cramps, and strains, and I'm extremely muscled. And that sh!t is more painfully intense than one can imagine. And since Serena is very well muscled, i can well imagine her pain.

So to me, these two played the game most dramatic of all the matches at Wimbledon so far. :worship:

PS
Thread starter did nothing wrong in stating his/her opinion. :shrug:

Mr. Magassi
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:35 PM
a class act for sure... but Hanti needs killer instinct!

nozaroc
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:55 PM
Daniela should think about a new career. Even her coach said move her around. Instead, she hit right into her strike zone almost every time. One drop shot the whole injury section? That's ridiculous. She should be hitting drop shots left and right. What the hell is this about feeling sorry for Serena. She's not being eaten by a lion. She's cramping and this is part of the game. You think Serena would take it easy if it was the other way around?

These ladies need to stop being intimidated by Serena and start playing for keeps. That being said, I'm glad Serena won because I want to see a Henin/(healthy)Serena match, not Henin/Hantuchoka. The only people who should be more embarrassed that Daniela are the people she beat to get there.

dreamgoddess099
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:57 PM

Because all the other players are better tennis players than the sisters, so when the other players say they lost a match, it's the truth. It's not the truth when Venus and Serena say it because they really aren't very good tennis players.

Bruno71
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:02 PM
Because all the other players are better tennis players than the sisters, so when the other players say they lost a match, it's the truth. It's not the truth when Venus and Serena say it because they really aren't very good tennis players.

:weirdo:

zayos_10
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:03 PM

close, but no. it‘s because Serena says it almost all the time.

ASerenusFan
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:10 PM
I luuuuuurve daniella, that's such a hard interview for her! She couldn't have handled it more fairly and considerately, she tried to give credit to Serena and admit her own mistakes.

roelc
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:19 PM
I thought daniela would be very disappointed, but she doesn't seem to be.
maybe that's a good thing (allthough she really needs to learn about this loss! this can never happen again)

I will not be able to sleep because of this match I'm afraid :o

le bon vivant
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:59 AM
To be a great champion, Daniela should really change her attitude. :o

GrandSlam05
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:08 AM
Whatever! Even the commentators talked about how Daniela, EVEN WITH A RAIN DELAY TO COME UP WITH A STRATEGY, didn't use one to move Serena around the court. So I'm just calling it like it is...the same way you same people do when Serena is involved. Can't have it both ways just because its your fave this time.

If anyone has seen my comments about Daniela before I have always liked her. I have followed her ever since her Indian Wells win over Hingis years ago, and hoped she'd get it back together to rise again. I think she's much more beautiful than you know who. But, I will call things out as I see them. And to think that Serena's movement was anything near what it was before the cramp/strain is just delusional.
Honestly Serena's movement was not as good, no. But it wasn't terrible. Serena's movement in the 3rd set was still probably about as good as Davenport or Sharapova moving at their best. :shrug:

MakarovaFan
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:27 AM
Serena wasn't moving well. Serena was playing low percentage tennis by trying to go for winners as soon as she could. Anything too far out of range, Serena didn't even go for.

Huh did you see the 3rd set,some of those balls she chased down,please i couldnt tell;now her footwork.....And btw when someone like her plays for broke ,low percentage or not, there aint much you can do.

gotthebend
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:18 AM
She's even more positive than I am.:hug:

Dawn Marie
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:32 AM
Daniela gave a good interview. I disagree with her when she said that it was she who lost the match. It was Serena's injury that gave Dani the opportunity to even get a win. Serena had that match in the bag before the injury.

Serena's movement was not 100% in the third set. Yet Serena's movement is quicker than most so a lot of fans will compare it to other players and feel that she was still pretty fast.

The match was dramatic and imho the right person won. One thing that grates me is seeing someone winning a match but has to lose to injury. It's part of the game but with sports I enjoy seeing the better player getting the win, esp when it's a Williams sister.

Good interview and Dani has heart. We all know Serena has it.

fawnrc
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:55 AM
Daniella really didn't have time to move Serena around. Serena was returning and serving so well that there was really on "1-2 shot" rallies that were played. I only hope she will have enough time to be in great condition for her next match.

Si_Hi
Jul 3rd, 2007, 05:22 AM
daniela :hug:
some serena's fans :rolleyes:

Drake1980
Jul 3rd, 2007, 06:06 AM
Dani:hug:

Kunal
Jul 3rd, 2007, 06:47 AM
i think daniela is in denial.

serena was clearly not moving well....her game plan in the 3rd set was go for broke.

keep the points short......and later on....the adrenaline kicked in i think...and she was moving albeit not the way she usually can

fioredeliberi
Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:58 AM
Although the cramp was real, the histronics and acting wasn't.
After the rain break serean came out fine and sadly Dani just wasn't good enough to take her.
It'll be different when Juju violates her.

Polikarpov
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:31 AM
Dani handled her self well in the interview. The questions were a bit leading and could've gone nasty had Dani said the wrong things.

I honestly thought that Serena moved well in the third said considering the balls that she chased down.

aussie_fan
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:02 AM
can't believe how well daniela handled herself in that interview, i would of been very annoyed with the way everything happened. Well done, shows a lot of class.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:20 AM
Dani :hug: That was very nice. She remained classy through out :worship: And for all of the talk about Dani dropshotting Serena, what about Venus in the 2005 final against Linday, when Lindsay had back problems and Venus served to the body, so she couldn't move?

Yeah, it's mean, but it's a tennis match. Serena said herself that she would have done the same thing :shrug: Mountains out of MOLEHILLS people :o

I do agree that some of the questions were a bit leading, but I think that Dani has proved herself to be a very mature, classy lady, and the WTA Tour is very blessed to have her.

ivanban
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:27 AM

Well, yeah, cause mdter01 is known for his bitchin' about everyone (except Serena)

strictennis
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:28 AM
DANI! You should have won the match! Period!

SJW
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:57 AM
Great interview. I am very, VERY impressed by her answers and the way she didn't fall for the bait.
Good luck in your next tournament Daniela. :yeah:

CORIA01
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:22 AM
Nice Interview