PDA

View Full Version : Bud Collins fired by NBC

.ivy.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:00 PM
Legendary tennis announcer Bud Collins fired by NBC

By Charles Bricker
Sun-Sentinel.com
Posted July 2 2007, 9:40 AM EDT

WIMBLEDON, England -- Bud Collins, the 78-year-old icon of American tennis, has been fired by NBC Sports after 35 years of hosting interviews, doing play-by-play and forging a bond with millions of tennis fans over the years.

Collins confirmed his firing Monday morning, but declined extensive comment, saying only that, "I've had 35 wonderful years with NBC and I hope to remain in tennis."

Those close to Collins said he was very hurt by his termination.

He was fired on June 22, shortly before the start of Wimbledon. A source said he arrived in London to find a message from Ken Schanzer, head of NBC Sports.

Collins will continue to work for the Boston Globe, his employer for 44 years. "I've walked these hallowed grounds for 35 years," said Collins, who is working here as a sort of broadcast lame duck. "I love Wimbledon. I love tennis."

:lol:

LeonHart
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:02 PM
...why? They should fire Mary Carillo or Dick Enberg instead, they are so much worse.

cellophane
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:02 PM
Ouch.

DefyingGravity
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:06 PM
That's really mean, and unfair. Why?

.Andrew.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:07 PM
Poor Bud - :hug: :lol:

Mark Spruce
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:07 PM
sorry to Bud

Yeah fire the others !!!!

LoveFifteen
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:09 PM
It's not mean or unfair. The man is bordering on senile. He's insufferably obnoxious and embarrassingly gauche, especially when dealing with non-Americans and non-whites! (And that's basically every major star on the tour except Andy Roddick ... and Maria Sharapova. :devil: )

Seriously, he's so annoying that Federer snubbed him after the French Open final. I would snub Collins, too. He's by far the most annoying interviewer in tennis.

Rocketta
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:09 PM
but that happens when people won't retire gracefully.... :sad:

they certainly could've been more respectful in the way they did it by getting him to announce a retirement, etc. etc.

Helen Lawson
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:13 PM
I get the impression watching the interviews that players don't care for him. It's blatantly obvious with Steffi and the Williams sisters. I found him ok, entertaining, but I don't think I'd pay big money for him.

Larrybidd
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:15 PM
I didn't have a problem with Collins, though it seemed to me his role has been reduced to almost nothing anyway over the past few years. But man, could they have fired him any closer to the event? A little respect for a long-time fixture would be nice.

TennisGuy21
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:16 PM
I have to agree that Bud was getting a little bit out of date, I wish that he could of maybe done a final goodbye, but really, his coverage of the french was lake luster. (no offence) Mary Carillo reads people down, the problem is... shes always right- even when she talks about my favorites too, Mary has a great eye for the game, and is good at calling matches, but tends to inject too much of her own opinion. If people hate Mary Carillo they will learn to LOATH Davenport who has commented my favorite match of the year when she said "Daniella's movement and timing is HORRIBLE, and she has no weapons to keep her a top player"... owch- I LOVE YOU LINDSEY!

GracefulVenus
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:17 PM
That really sucks! Sorry Bud!

Anna F'd Enrique
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:17 PM
He is awful. He messed up so much at the French Open this year.

thrust
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:18 PM
Bud truly loves tennis, and has been an outstanding commentator and author for many years. Perhaps he has slowed a bit the last couple of years, however, I feel the dismissal could have been handled in a more compassionate way. Bud deserves better treatment than this. Federer was upset because he lost to Nadal,again, at the FO. That is the reason he chose not to speak to Bud, not because Bud was ever rude.

LoveFifteen
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:18 PM
I get the impression watching the interviews that players don't care for him. It's blatantly obvious with Steffi and the Williams sisters. I found him ok, entertaining, but I don't think I'd pay big money for him.

You can tell that almost all of the players hate him.

Have you seen the way he speaks to non-native speakers of English?! He says shit to Nadal like, "You are el rey of clay!" and "Today you played 'mucho bueno' :unsure:, Rafa!" I cringe every time he is interviewing people. The man is the epitome of the gauche "ugly American".

hurricanejeanne
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:19 PM
Dang.
Even though he could get rather annoying sometimes he's still a legend in tennis commentating. NBC could have at least let him know about what they wanted before he'd already made it to London.

VeeReeDavJCap81
If people hate Mary Carillo they will learn to LOATH Davenport who has commented my favorite match of the year when she said "Daniella's movement and timing is HORRIBLE, and she has no weapons to keep her a top player"... owch- I LOVE YOU LINDSEY!

Lindsay said THAT? :eek:

Bijoux0021
Yes, he's an old man, but it's still sad.

LoveFifteen
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:22 PM
Federer was upset because he lost to Nadal,again, at the FO. That is the reason he chose not to speak to Bud, not because Bud was ever rude.

Sorry, but Federer gave interviews to everyone else. :shrug:

It's not because Collins is rude that Federer snubbed him, but rather because he is completely uncouth and tiresome.

rottweily
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:23 PM
That's really mean, and unfair. Why?

He started to like Justine :devil:

.ivy.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:24 PM
Sorry, but Federer gave interviews to everyone else. :shrug:

It's not because Collins is rude that Federer snubbed him, but rather because he is completely uncouth and tiresome.

Not only interviews to everyone else, but spent a long time speaking with the other reporters.

It was a deliberate snub to Bud. :tape:

thrust
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:28 PM
Maybe Bud hasn^t yet declared Federer the greatest player of all time?

Thkmra
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:31 PM
It's not mean or unfair. The man is bordering on senile. He's insufferably obnoxious and embarrassingly gauche, especially when dealing with non-Americans and non-whites! (And that's basically every major star on the tour except Andy Roddick ... and Maria Sharapova. :devil: )

Seriously, he's so annoying that Federer snubbed him after the French Open final. I would snub Collins, too. He's by far the most annoying interviewer in tennis.

:haha: :haha: That's not very nice!! Funny as hell....:lol: but still nonetheless not nice!:fiery: (though it may be slightly accurate:tape: :help: )

LoveFifteen
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:32 PM
Maybe Bud hasn^t yet declared that Federer the greatest player of all time?

Tediously inept Bud would say to Federer, "Herr Federer, you believe that you are der greatest von all time, ja?" :unsure: :cringe: :gougeeyesout:

PamShriverRockz
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:33 PM
Aww I have a soft spot for Bud. He was on the BBC breakfast programme the other day. He came up with ASV's Barcelona Bumblebee nickname.

LoveFifteen
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:33 PM
:haha: :haha: That's not very nice!! Funny as hell....:lol: but still nonetheless not nice!:fiery: (though it may be slightly accurate:tape: :help: )

I swear to God if the man gets any more senile, he'll end up asking Serena what it's like to be the only "Negro woman" left in the draw. :scared:

*JR*
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:34 PM
A couple of years ago he did a Peppermint Piece (in print @ a Slam) that made the Convicted Criminal sound like St. Francis of Assisi. Plus he bashed my beloved Jen mercilessly for standing up to BJK in the 2002 Battle of Charlotte. Good riddance, Bud. :bigwave:

(I do wish Ryan and Robinson would get the ax too).

auntie janie
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:36 PM
I'll miss ya, Bud. :bigcry: No one on NBC loves tennis as much as Bud does -- he loves and follows tennis year round, not just Grand Slams like the rest of the NBC people. He loves to watch the unknowns on the outer courts; he just loves the game itself.

Good for him for outing NBC's hypocrisy -- they wanted to pretend he "retired". :p

There'll never be another Bud. :hearts: :hug:

Jasmin
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:38 PM
I don't know...I think it's time.

Sally Struthers
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:42 PM
I always got the impression that he was one of those dirty old men who tries to cop a feel every now and then

égalité
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:57 PM
I swear to God if the man gets any more senile, he'll end up asking Serena what it's like to be the only "Negro woman" left in the draw. :scared:

:spit:

Here are his lesser-known nicknames for the top players :devil::

Serena: The Negro Ninja
Maria: The Soviet Stunner
Na: The Oriental Obliterator
Venus: The Colored Crusader
Nicole: The Czechoslovakian Choo-Choo
Amelie: The Homosexual Huntress
Sesil: The Anabolic Assassin
Sania: The Sandy Seductress
Tamira: The... the... Damnit, you're too hard to stereotype. Get Rafa over here.

Derek.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:58 PM
Bud. :lol: :hug:

Max565
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:01 PM

Tamira: The... the... Damnit, you're too hard to stereotype. Get Rafa over here.

:lol: :lol:

edificio
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:05 PM
I always got the impression that he was one of those dirty old men who tries to cop a feel every now and then

Me too. Just one reason I didn't really like him. Still, he did try to get the players' names right. Unlike so many other American commentators. He had a good long run. That's enough.

NBC ought to fire Ted Robinson.

Kunal
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:05 PM
sucks for him

Havok
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:06 PM
Good, the man sucks anyways. Very annoying and extremely old minded after all these years :o.

Now if only NBC/ESPN would let go of Dick Endberg. That man gets the fucking score wrong more times than I can even count in a single match!

Mrs. Peel
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:16 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

LoveFifteen
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:24 PM
Still, he did try to get the players' names right. Unlike so many other American commentators.

I actually found it really annoying when he would say stuff like Maria Sha-RAH-po-va, when even Maria herself says SHARE-a-pov-a when speaking English. I'm sorry, but nobody speaking English says things like Vla-DI-mir Le-NIN or YOH-sef Sta-LIN. They say VLAD-i-mir LE-nin and JO-seph STA-lin. Sorry, but everyone in every country "nationalizes" foreign names, and it's sort of pretentious to try to pronounce it in the native language. Should I say the French Open takes place in "Pa-ree" instead of Paris? :shrug:

That's just always been my opinion.

Bruno71
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:29 PM
Bud got fired because he predicted he wouldn't be fired.

Infiniti2001
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:32 PM
He was annoying, but I'll miss the ole coot :sad:

edificio
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:34 PM
That's just always been my opinion.

Well, he tried. I won't miss him at all. Been too long.

cartmancop
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:46 PM
I would imagine they had hinted at him to retire for a while when he didn't take the hint...

I agree, players in general don't seem to care for him, and his analysis of the game via his writings have gotten quite poor IMO... As others have said, players may not care for Carillo, but she usually is right on with her analysis and commentary.

LoveFifteen
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:50 PM
I just have to say that I seriously doubt he was fired. It's pretty difficult for companies to fire people unless they've done something wrong. I bet his contract just wasn't renewed or something like that. Could you imagine the ugly fallout from a wrongful termination lawsuit alleging ageism?

brent-o
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:55 PM

I know, I remember I think after the Wimbledon final last year (or it could have been French Open?) when Bud was interviewing Rafa and he kept trying to speak bits of Spanish in a self-impressed way and was like two inches from Nadal's face. You could see how uncomfortable Rafa was. He came off very condescending to me, like he was talking to a two-year old, rather than a man who just speaks a different language. Oh well, I guess he's just getting up there in age. It was about time for him to go though.

Jasmin
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:59 PM
Bud got fired because he predicted he wouldn't be fired.

:lol: Yeah he was awful in that area but the best thing I can say is that it was time.

UDACHi
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:11 PM
THANK GOD.

he thought he was so funny and cool but he just came off as obnoxious and arrogant. i could never stand him.

kiwifan
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:13 PM
I've got mixed emotions.

Loved him back in the 80s/early 90s but he became less funny, less charming, less everything as time went on.

Poor old coot. :lol:

FaceyFacem
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:35 PM
i read he hasn't really been fired, they just aren't renewing his contract, but he's still doing this years championships and they will do a tribute video to him during finals coverage

archie4
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:21 AM
i read he hasn't really been fired, they just aren't renewing his contract, but he's still doing this years championships and they will do a tribute video to him during finals coverage
This seems to be correct information. Here's the official press release from MSNBC.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19568384/):
This year Collins’ last at Wimbledon for NBC
MSNBC.com contributor part of ‘Breakfast at Wimbledon’ for 35 years
The Associated Press
Updated: 3:03 p.m. CT July 2, 2007
WIMBLEDON, England - This year’s “Breakfast at Wimbledon” will be Bud Collins’ last at NBC.

The 78-year-old sports writer and TV personality won’t have his contract renewed by the network, making this his 35th and final Wimbledon with NBC.

“So I had 35 great years with them. I have no complaints about them, but I hope to stay in tennis,” Collins said Monday at the All England Club. “I’m not retiring. Too young to retire.”

NBC Sports spokesman Brian Walker declined comment.

Collins contributes for MSNBC.com.

Collins will work on the air in the same role he has during recent Wimbledons, conducting on-court interviews after the men’s and women’s singles finals.

“They’re going to do a tribute, I understand. A retrospective,” Collins said. “And I’ll be there and I’ll say ... I had a wonderful career with NBC, I was a very lucky guy, and I’m leaving but I don’t intend to leave tennis.”

Collins began writing for the Boston Globe in 1963 and is best known for his tennis coverage, but he also has covered everything from baseball to boxing. He was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 1994, and won the Red Smith Award presented by The Associated Press Sports Editors in 1999.

He’s known for his colorful words and colorful outfits.

Among the nicknames he’s credited with bestowing on star tennis players are “Fraulein Forehand” for Steffi Graf and “Sisters Sledgehammer” for Venus and Serena Williams.

kiwifan
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:25 AM
If my contract unilaterally isn't going to be renewed, I'd feel fired. ;)

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:34 AM
There all crap!!

Drake1980
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:41 AM
:hug:

drake3781
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:47 AM
Aww... I will miss him!

Just about the only tennis I see on TV is Wimbledon on NBC, and now it will be without Bud and his interesting and unique color pieces and interviews.

:tears:

Looks like NBC cleaned up the raggedy ends at least.

I'll be sure to watch his last broadcasts.

=============

We each are getting older every day, and see our futures here.

We may rule the world one day, and be deemed irrelevant the next. And not one of us will escape it. :awww:

Dawn Marie
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:50 AM
Bud was out dated. Bud was uncouth. Yet I would like to see him remain involved in tennis somewhere. He seems to enjoy the game. Elderly people need something to do besides look at walls all day.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:53 AM
Bud was out dated. Bud was uncouth. Yet I would like to see him remain involved in tennis somewhere. He seems to enjoy the game. Elderly people need something to do besides look at walls all day.

...Or post mean spirited crap on chatboards all day.

WrB
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:53 AM
What I have liked about Bud has been his sense of history, both his sense of tennis history, and his understanding of world history, and his efforts to bring forth both in his announcing and his writings. He is a bit of a chauvinist, a man of an earlier generation, but no one else in tennis has his appreciation of world history and includes such tidbits in their writings on tennis today. Other commentary seems so clinical, whereas he tries to bring forth some understanding beyond the boundaries of tennis when he writes of players and their origins. I think his role on NBC has been diminished for years, and sadly so. I always suspected that the main reason for his diminished role was the hiring of John McEnroe, whom I suspect said at his hiring "I will not work with Bud", as his hiring seemed to bring forth the reduction in Bud's role. [No, i have no real reason why JM might have done this, and it is totally conjecture on my part] Anyway, I respect Bud's positive remarks, trying to maintain his dignity upon this failure to renew his contract. I recall 5 or 10 years ago that the Boston Globe also ended his service, in a cost-cutting move, but his writings still appear there. I just don't know if he remains a salaried columnist, or if he is paid for piecework there. The travel column he also wrote for the Globe has long since ended.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:54 AM
I'll miss Bud. He's a very unique personality that brought a certain energy to the Wimbledon broadcast. But at age 78, i think its wise of him to retire and enjoy his life in full for the rest of his life :)

We'll miss ya Bud ...:kiss: ...:wavey:

#1Davenport
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:58 AM
This is so sad... He's an old man, hope this doesn't effect his health.

Rod the Bama
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:38 AM
I have mixed emotions about this. On one hand i`ll miss hearing Bud`s stories from back in the day and his wealth of knowledge, but on the other hand it was time to put him out to pasture. He`s nowhere near as sharp as he once was. I`ll be sure to watch the tribute video to him.

Brooklyn90
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:39 AM
he's a tennis fixture, how can they do that :sad:

Veritas
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:41 AM
If people hate Mary Carillo they will learn to LOATH Davenport who has commented my favorite match of the year when she said "Daniella's movement and timing is HORRIBLE, and she has no weapons to keep her a top player"... owch- I LOVE YOU LINDSEY!

Touche :hearts: :bounce:

PLP
Jul 3rd, 2007, 06:41 AM
Love him or not, shame on NBC for the way they did it. I hope they at least compensated him for the trip. :fiery:

I have always loved Bud, though sometimes he says outrageous things I don't agree with. Still, he is very smart and I like reading his articles.