PDA

View Full Version : Did Serena use gamesmanship today?

supergrunt
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:29 PM
Maybe I don't think so because I am biased but we all know how fair Serena is and how much she dislikes gamesmanship. She didn't get the bathroom break and she still won. I think that all of her moves were legitimate and fair.

frenchie
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:32 PM
not at all

franklinbouvier
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:33 PM
I'm not 100% sure.
I'm slightly perturbed by the fact she needed a toilet break before Hantuchova's service game because she'd been drinking so much water then when the umpire told her she could go (before her own service game) she suddenly didn't need to anymore.

OhDear121
yes

littlebin
She didn't get the break, but she sucessfully get delay, puzzled and discomforted Daniel and finally got a decisive break.

Craigy
Why would you even start a thread like this you asshole. All you want is for Serena fans to attack people.
Fine I'll attack you :)

John.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:34 PM
I don't think so. She was so nervous and unstable at the beginning of the final set, in the end, it was adrenaline and fire that got her through

cellophane
:serensmanship?:

:inlove:
A bit. But it's Serena, so I'll forgive her. :yeah: :hug:

Dexter
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:36 PM
Well, to me asking for a bathroom break in the middle of the set was a bit fishy, considering all this long break they had. I didn't watch afterwards - did she ask to go again?, because umpire said she could leave before her service game or sthg like that.

jbone_0307
I don't think she used gamesmanship because she asked to go during the break. It would have thrown both of them off if she went in between Daniela and her service game. It must be a new rule because she would have never been allowed to go during changeovers because Daniela would have always served first.

silverwhite
Actually, I don't see how going to the bathroom would have helped her. Plus, she didn't even go in the end so... :shrug:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:37 PM
You are obsessed with Serena. A normal Serena fan wouldn't have started a thread questioning her sportsmanship :tape:

DragonFlame
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:40 PM
Yes:rolleyes: , pure gamemanship with the bathroombreak.
She asked to go to the bathroom right before daniela has to serve an important game. The umpire followed the rules and said she can't go because daniela has to serve. Serena obviously should know these rules but she was mad at the umpire for not letting her go. Even so she delayed play to get in hantuchova's head. What happens: Serena breaks, the umpire tells her she can go to the bathroom now because it's before her own serve now. Now she doesn't need to go!:confused: yeah offcourse not, you have the momentum now:rolleyes: That's pure gamemanship and nothing else.:(

mdterp01
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:40 PM
Gamesmanship?! I think any person with 2 brain cells has to know that she had to have been drinking all kinds of fluids. So asking to go to the bathroom is not at all out of the ordinary in that situation. As for "suddenly not needing it" when getting the break or holding serve, adrenaline can do a lot and perhaps, like digging down deep to come out and continue that match, she decided to hold it and keep that momentum going.

heytennis
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:43 PM
No gamesmanship, just a lot of luck. Had it not rained, she would have been bagelled by Dani.

Natash.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
Well, to me asking for a bathroom break in the middle of the set was a bit fishy, considering all this long break they had. I didn't watch afterwards - did she ask to go again?, because umpire said she could leave before her service game or sthg like that.

After Dani was broken, the umpire asked if she needed to go now. She said "no, I'm fine."

mckyle.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:45 PM
She asked to go to the bathroom right before daniela has to serve an important game. The umpire followed the rules and said she can't go because daniela has to serve.

Serena had the conversation with the umpire in the 90 second changeover. She never did get to go to the bathroom. I really don't understand how this could affect Daniela :lol:

roooobert
its silly, all williams fans think one thing, all haters think the other.. serena would have gotten a lot of shit if she went to the toilet at the time the umpire said she could do it..

the fact that she didnt go to the toilet didnt affect the result..please

SerenaSlam
question is....did serena use the bathroom....answer no...if u can tell me what she did (besides talk to the ump) that was gamesmanship, then so be it, but besides that, nope....did she try? well i would say yes b/c if it was me on the other side of the net i would have felt like it was infact gamesmanship, but she didn't get that opportunity...

nikita771
There should be a maybe choice. I thought that needing a bathroom break was a valid request and she seemed like she really needed to go. She did tell the ump that she could wait until the next changeover. However, once she got some momentum - she didn't seem to need to go anymore. That was the only weird thing about the 3rd set. I don't recall any delays that others have been accusing her of.

DragonFlame
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:47 PM
Serena had the conversation with the umpire in the 90 second changeover. She never did get to go to the bathroom. I really don't understand how this could affect Daniela :lol:

The point is that if she REALLY needed to go to the toilet she would have went when she had the chance. But since she had the momentum then she decided not to, that's gamemanship to me.

tennisjunky
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:49 PM
You are obsessed with Serena. A normal Serena fan wouldn't have started a thread questioning her sportsmanship :tape:i know, it's a bit wierd and questionable.

silverwhite
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:51 PM
The point is that if she REALLY needed to go to the toilet she would have went when she had the chance. But since she had the momentum then she decided not to, that's gamemanship to me.

What utter bullocks. At most, you could accuse her of attempting to use gamesmanship. Did she actually get to go? No.

Craigy
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:52 PM
i know, it's a bit wierd and questionable.

It's as simple as this.
He's a troll, not a real Serena fan. He's looking to cause trouble for Serena. Nobody should take him serious.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:53 PM
No!

Rod the Bama
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:57 PM
Serena didn`t use gamesmanship at all. I think this whole thing about whether Serena used gamesmanship by asking to use the bathroom is a bunch of crap. :rolleyes:

Bijoux0021
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:59 PM
She didn't get to go to the bathroon; therefore, she didn't affect the outcome of the match.

bandabou
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:03 PM
Not really...I wouldn't have gone to the bathroom after I got the break either...it's called MOMENTUM. It's simply courage that she even finished the match.

Jasmin
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:03 PM
The girl had a lot of liquid in her system for her cramps...the girl just had to actually use the washroom.

exceptnal1
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:04 PM
To the person above who said that she didn't ask to go a second time, yes she did. Whils she did decline to go when it was her turn to serve,she did say "can I go on the changeover?"

After her serve 5-3 she clearly makes this request and you can hear it on the mic's. She say's I thought you said I could go on the changeover????

We have all needed to go to the restroom and had to hold it ( in car, plane, event)due to one not being available. Same thing here. Serena had to go, but was not about to pee on herself. Either way, she is entitled to make the request. She drank tons of water during the delay and also once back on court. She was guzzling, you could see it on every changeover.

DragonFlame
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:05 PM
Did she actually get to go? No.

well then, why didn't she go a game later when she had the chance? 'She had drunk so many fluids' and she needed to go when things were tight.(daniela serving to get to 3-3) It was HER that chose not to go a game later. Suddenly the bathroombreak wasn't that important to her anymore since she broke daniela. That's gamemanship. Asking for a toiletbreak when you don't need to, and there's no way you can convince me otherwise.:(

It isn't important anyway, everyone has his own oppinion and i respect that. on to the Quarters!

Jasmin
The girl had a lot of liquids in her system for her cramps...the girl just had to actually use the washroom.

littlebin
She did affect the outcome of the match by discomforting and psychologically annoying her component. She got more minute rest when requesting and when Daniel asked the umpire

Swisha
that was an audition for a dying scene in a movie..what a performance..

Swisha
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:06 PM
She did affect the outcome of the match by discomforting and psychologically annoying her component. She got more minute rest when requesting and when Daniel asked the umpire

she just loves the attention..

rrfnpump
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:06 PM
A bit definitely and she knows it. Serena knows business. :devil:

She took her time in the TB knowing it would rain soon. The injury time-out lasted a lot longer than 3 minutes (actually, isnt it not allowed taking a time.out because of cramps? I thought so).

Serena fights with everything she has, and her mindgames are part of that. ;)

silverwhite
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:07 PM
well then, why didn't she go a game later when she had the chance? 'She had drunk so many fluids' and she needed to go when things were tight.(daniela serving to get to 3-3) It was HER that chose not to go a game later. Suddenly the bathroombreak wasn't that important to her anymore since she broke daniela. That's gamemanship. Asking for a toiletbreak when you don't need to, and there's no way you can convince me otherwise.:(

Oh, cry me a river. I already explained why it isn't gamesmanship in my previous reply. If you're too thick to understand, then so be it. :)

Thanx4nothin
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:09 PM
People saying Serena didn't need to go anymore are just inaccurrate. She asked him the second time if she could go at the change of ends...the word that came out of his mouth was 'OK'. Then when she went over again he had been on the phone to the tournie director and he had to tell her emphatically she couldn't go until it was be4 her serve. Why Serena would delay play when she had just got the lead is beyond me. Proves how many trolls and haters there are on this board.

Tennisaddict
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:11 PM
No, Serena won a match she could have lost easily. Serena did not use gamesmanship she used her champion mentality.

zayos_10
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=Swisha;11112710]that was an audition for a dying scene in a movie..what a performance..[/
QUOTE]

Yeah, she has a future as an actress when she retires :)

IceHock
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:12 PM
nah, she was obviously hurt pretty bad, you could see her calf cramped wicked badly, i could feel it through the tv screen

Swisha
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:13 PM
People saying Serena didn't need to go anymore are just inaccurrate. She asked him the second time if she could go at the change of ends...the word that came out of his mouth was 'OK'. Then when she went over again he had been on the phone to the tournie director and he had to tell her emphatically she couldn't go until it was be4 her serve. Why Serena would delay play when she had just got the lead is beyond me. Proves how many trolls and haters there are on this board.

hating?? lmao that whiny diva is just hilarious, she is supposed to be a pro, laying on the ground for 5 minutes crying like a bitch because of a cramp??

academy award performance, she is in the news.. a normal victory is just not too good enough

GLADIATOR SERENA
RISE FROM DA DEADDDDDDD

Astro Jetson
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:13 PM
voted yes.
Arguments:
1)bathroom break discussion
2)the jumping up and down in third set after missing a shot (while supposedly gravely injured)
3)the really over the top screams (normally it wouldn't bother me, 'cause it ads to the drama, but this was really too much, even for Serena)

(and also father Williams was annoying, which of course isn't Serena's fault)

aussie_fan
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:16 PM
no not at all, disgraceful sportsmanship

alias
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:18 PM
Yes. How convenient she didn't have to go once momentum swung her way. She's such a drama queen.

DragonFlame
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:19 PM
Oh, cry me a river. I already explained why it isn't gamesmanship in my previous reply. If you're too thick to understand, then so be it. :)

there isn't such thing as 'attempt at gamemanship':rolleyes: If you are trying to enforce gamemanship you are already doing it. You're just to thick to understand my explanation why i find it gamemanship.:wavey:

MK hamster
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:20 PM
Of course Williams used gamesmanship; needing to go to the toilet only when Daniela was serving... Williams may have won the match with crass cheating, but Daniela is the real winner - leaving centre court with her head held high, and showing ( as always ) grace and dignity... Williams worshippers take note...

silverwhite
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:20 PM
Q. How did you keep going for the last four games considering you wanted to go for the toilet break?
SERENA WILLIAMS: God, I had to use the bathroom so bad because I kept drinking so much fluid. I don't know. I just kept thinking to myself, one more game. I kept saying to myself one more game, until finally there were no games left.

silverwhite
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:22 PM
there isn't such thing as 'attempt at gamemanship':rolleyes: If you are trying to enforce gamemanship you are already doing it. You're just to thick to understand my explanation why i find it gamemanship.:wavey:

It's not gamesmanship because it didn't friggin affect the match. If you feel the urge to kill someone but don't actually do it, can I accuse you of murder? :weirdo:

Nemesis
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:26 PM
of course not.
the toilet break didn't even happen ... she could take it, but due to a miscommunication she didn't take it.
and the cramps were clearly really bothering her. af§ter the rain break, she just hit everything or nothing shots. that combined with Dani's frail mind, made her win games. not gamesmanship.

Mrs. Peel
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:28 PM
Why would you even start a thread like this you asshole. All you want is for Serena fans to attack people.
Fine I'll attack you :)

Supergrunt is a fucking troll. The starting of this thread has me convinced!

MK hamster
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:29 PM
Q. How did you keep going for the last four games considering you wanted to go for the toilet break?
SERENA WILLIAMS: God, I had to use the bathroom so bad BEFORE DANIELA SERVED, because I kept drinking so much fluid. I don't know. I just kept thinking to myself, one more DANIELA SERVICE GAME. I kept saying to myself one DANIELA SERVICE GAME, until finally there were no DANIELA SERVICE GAMES left.

About sums it up...

Mrs. Peel
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:30 PM
Have you ever heard of someone being castigated for a toilet break they never got to take? :smash:

-Sonic-
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:30 PM
I don't think she did....

If you get cramps, you drink a lot of fluid
If you want a wee, u want a wee.
If you want a wee but also want to win, maybe you change your mind and think you can hold on for a bit.

Serena totally gave away that 2nd set tiebreak because of that injury. If she wasn't hurt, I bet any money Serena would have come back from 4-2 down and won it. If there was any chance her body would have let her finish it in 2 sets she would have taken it. Her body was doing weird things to her, I don't think she was really in control of her legs or her bladder.

Demska
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:32 PM
Yes.

She just had an hour break, when she could have gone to the bathroom, but when she's on court for 20 mins she wants to go to the toilet.

She wants to go to the bathroom before Hantuchova serves, to slow her momentum, let her think about the score, then when she gets the break, oh surpirse surprise she doesn't need it anymore.

But I like it. :p

MK hamster
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:34 PM
I don't think she did....

If you get cramps, you drink a lot of fluid
If you want a wee, u want a wee.
If you want a wee but also want to win, maybe you change your mind and think you can hold on for a bit.

Serena totally gave away that 2nd set tiebreak because of that injury. If she wasn't hurt, I bet any money Serena would have come back from 4-2 down and won it. If there was any chance her body would have let her finish it in 2 sets she would have taken it. Her body was doing weird things to her, I don't think she was really in control of her legs or her bladder.

Clutching at straws is the phrase that springs to mind...
Also, 'defending the indefensible'...

DragonFlame
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:37 PM
It's not gamesmanship because it didn't friggin affect the match.

psychologically it did, i'm not gonna explain again.

If you feel the urge to kill someone but don't actually do it, can I accuse you of murder? :weirdo:

You can't compare an act of murder with gamemanship.:help: Serena wanted to go to the toilet when things were tight and starts a scene to throw hantuchova off. The fact she didn't went to the toilet was because the Umpire didn't allow her. She didn't CHOSE not to go at that point.
Then after she broke and things weren't tight anymore she didn't go because she had the momentum. What can't you freakin understand?:confused:

To me that's gamemanship. If she had the choice like with your murderexample she would have went to the toilet.
nvm, you won't understand anyways:wavey:

Lulu.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:39 PM
No.

lindsayno1
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:42 PM
it doesnt matter if u had an hour break before or not - she could have been knocking back the fluids back then, and she clearly was when once back on court. Im proud of Serena today - what a fighter. She is a true champion and i have new found respect for her. She carried on when she couldnt walk, played smart tennis and still won!

zayos_10
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:42 PM
SERENA WILLIAMS: God, I had to use the bathroom so bad because I kept drinking so much fluid. I don't know. I just kept thinking to myself, one more game. I kept saying to myself one more game, until finally there were no games left.

Of course, what else was she going to say? :rolleyes:

Bayo
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:43 PM
So Hantuchova was thrown off by a non-existent bathroom break? Classic.

fifiricci
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:44 PM
Some of these female tennis players are really starting to piss me off these days. Honestly, there's a crop of them that are becoming like premiership bloody footballers - all ego and limp wrists. :help:

MK hamster
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:48 PM
Some of these female tennis players are really starting to piss me off these days. Honestly, there's a crop of them that are becoming like premiership bloody footballers - all ego and limp wrists. :help:

Indeed, and Williams(S), is the worst of the lot... At least we've still got genuinely nice girls like Daniela to light up the sport, just a shame we have to have 1 that blights the sport too...

Mrs. Peel
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:48 PM

:lol: :lol:

lindsayno1
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:49 PM
Indeed, and Williams(S), is the worst of the lot... At least we've still got genuinely nice girls like Daniela to light up the sport, just a shame we have to have 1 that blights the sport too...

genuienely nice?!! you are kidding right?!
Daniella is the rudest player i have ever met in my life....and on more than 1 occassion too!

MK hamster
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:51 PM
Daniella is the rudest player i have ever met in my life....and on more than 1 occassion too!

Nonsense. Please do not use supposed personal experiences with no veracity to try and back up a point...

Kunal
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:53 PM
didnt see it so i cant comment

lindsayno1
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:53 PM
Nonsense. Please do not use supposed personal experiences with no veracity to try and back up a point...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

MK hamster
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:57 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I would like to see your proof of these 'encounters'... You can see proof of her being a genuinely nice person by watching numerous interviews of her which I'm sure are freely available...

Larrybidd
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:58 PM
didnt see it so i cant comment

There was nothing to see. Serena tried to call timeout. The umpire did not grant one. Thats what passes for gamesmanship in the unbelievibly wacky minds of some tennis fans.

mc8114
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:01 PM
No!.

lindsayno1
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:05 PM
Well, I would like to see your proof of these 'encounters'... You can see proof of her being a genuinely nice person by watching numerous interviews of her which I'm sure are freely available...

of course everyone is nice in interviews....! you'd be stupid if you werent!

MK hamster
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:06 PM
There was nothing to see. Serena tried to call timeout. The umpire did not grant one. Thats what passes for gamesmanship in the unbelievibly wacky minds of some tennis fans.

It was the fact that she asked for a toilet break about 25 minutes sfter coming on court before Daniela was serving, then again before Daniela served again... That unsettled Daniela enough to ultimately cost her the match...

T-GIRL87
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:08 PM
Serena, in her history in tight matches, has rarely ever needed to resort to gamesmanship to beat players .When she was down in Miami, I don't recall her asking for bathroom breaks or injury time outs. She chose to simply grind it out, despite how well Justine was playing. I don't see how you can accuse Serena of using gamemanship seeing as how shes is known for her fighting spirit, and willingness to pull through tough matches on determination alone.

MK hamster
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:08 PM
of course everyone is nice in interviews....! you'd be stupid if you werent!

Yes, but you can tell what sort of person someone is just by general impressions... And what did she do to you that you claim was rude...? Did she not sign an autograph...? Or did she tell you to **** off...?

edificio
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:09 PM
Where was the gamesmanship? She never took that bathroom break she wanted. If Daniela is discomfited by casual conversations with the umpire between games and at changeovers, she doesn't deserve to win.

MK hamster
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:10 PM
Serena, in her history in tight matches, has rarely ever needed to resort to gamesmanship to beat players .When she was down in Miami, I don't recall her asking for bathroom breaks or injury time outs. She chose to simply grind it out, despite how well Justine was playing. I don't see how you can accuse Serena of using gamemanship seeing as how shes is known for her fighting spirit, and willingness to pull through tough matches on determination alone.

Of course not. Those tactics wouldn't work on Justine... She exploited Daniela's renowned on-court mental weakness... Ultimately, winning by shameful cheating...

Zweli
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:11 PM
You may interprete it the way you want,I simple don't care,what i care about she won the match ,period.Go Rena!!!:bounce:

edificio
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:13 PM
Of course not. Those tactics wouldn't work on Justine... She exploited Daniela's renowned on-court mental weakness... Ultimately, winning by shameful cheating...

Are you joking? You are calling Daniela mentally weak? What a fan. I hope you are joking.

MK hamster
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:19 PM
Are you joking? You are calling Daniela mentally weak? What a fan. I hope you are joking.

What are you gibbering on about? If I was to deny that she has problems mentally on-court I would be lying! I am not criticising her; just pointing out a fact that nobody can deny... But I'd expect a Williams worshipper to expect me to lie about a player I liked... They live in a deluded world where they think this over-rated player is wonderful...

Bitter Blue Bong
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:20 PM

:lol: :lol:

woosey
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:22 PM
bottomline is gamesmanship does not win matches, tournaments or titles. serena's leg was injured, girl did not have great mobility. daniela should have pounced on serena. she didn't and serena, being the smart opportunist she is, took advantage. it's as simple as that. serena won fair and square. get over it.

edificio
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:22 PM
What are you gibbering on about? ... But I'd expect a Williams worshipper to expect me to lie about a player I liked... They live in a deluded world where they think this over-rated player is wonderful...

What are you gibbering on about? You don't know me.

Europe rocks
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:23 PM
The constant needing the bathroom before Dani serves? Obvious gamesmanship. All credit though to her for fighting back, I just feel that the way she did it wasn't the best. It also amazed me how she was almost able to move perfectly towards the end of the match, yet had to limp off the court :o

MK hamster
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:26 PM
What are you gibbering on about? You don't know me.

If your real life persona is anything like the hysterical and nonsensical rantings that I've had the misfortune to read from you in the last few minutes, then I am VERY glad that I don't know you...

T-GIRL87
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:27 PM
Of course not. Those tactics wouldn't work on Justine... She exploited Daniela's renowned on-court mental weakness... Ultimately, winning by shameful cheating... I'm still confused in how you can accuse her of cheating, if she never was allowed the bathroom break, she continued to play despite the fact that in her press conference, Serena stated that she drank a lot of fluids. Daniela has a history of falling apart mentally in big matches, even when her opponent isn't using gamesmanship. To say that she lost her concentration b/c of Serena, I simply don't believe that.

edificio
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:29 PM
If your real life persona is anything like the hysterical and nonsensical rantings that I've had the misfortune to read from you in the last few minutes, then I am VERY glad that I don't know you...

Oh, my. Hit a nerve, did I? Hysterical and nonsensical rantings? I think you were reading your own posts.

MK hamster
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:30 PM
I'm still confused in how you can accuse her of cheating, if she never was allowed the bathroom break, she continued to play despite the fact that in her press conference, Serena stated that she drank a lot of fluids. Daniela has a history of falling apart mentally in big matches, even when her opponent isn't using gamesmanship. To say that she lost her concentration b/c of Serena, I simply don't believe that.

Well, I drink alot of fluids on Friday and Saturday night, and I don't need to go to the toilet every 30 minutes... OK, Williams' gamemanship contributed to Daniela losing the match...

Ksenia.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:30 PM
Rain did. Rena didn't :)

MK hamster
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:32 PM
Oh, my. Hit a nerve, did I? Hysterical and nonsensical rantings? I think you were reading your own posts.

Not hit a nerve, no... I just find phrases like 'you don't know me' rather irritating, and usually used by self-important people that think it sounds big...

bruingirl
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:35 PM
Hantuchova lost that match all on her own. She didn't have the mental fortitude to take advantage of her opponent's injury woes. Serena was clearly injured, but it got better as the third set wore on and she played great. She deserves all the credit for her fighting spirit and determination. Having said that, I think her behaviour left a lot to be desired. People will have different opinions on this, but I'm not buying the "I-drank-a-lot-of-fluids" line. It certainly is miraculous that she needed to go to the bathroom really badly only before Hantuchova's service games. Serena Williams is good enough to not have to pull that kind of crap, which makes her doing it all the more disappointing.

MK hamster
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:20 PM

I'm still waiting for you to explain what she did to be rude to you on these alleged meetings...

chewy
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:44 PM
its not important, see the bigger picture. she lost because of her own doings. it was frustrating watching hantuchova lose like that.
its not daniella's job to work out if serena was injured or not.
figuring that out won't solve her problems. She should be able to play her game whatever the situation n take advantage(if any) of it. If serena's mobility was limited then use whatever shots u need to take advantage of that, its no different to someone lobbing over a shorter player more when they r at d net. Since serena can continue play then u have to think u're playing someone thats 100% fit. u can't be doubtful n let ur opponents form get into ur mind.
If u see ur opponent slip, should u hit the ball softly back at him to give him a chance or hit it away from him so u can win the point? its that simple. ofcourse no one wants to win because ur opponents injured or fall or whatever but u can't control that. so just play the game.

the only thing i didnt like abt serena's behaviour was that if she was actually directing her cussing n anger at daniella for using the drop shot. i mean u can only blame your own body for not holding up.

Donny
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:50 PM
Think of it this way: Say Serena legitimately had to use the bathroom before Daneila served. People on here say that that bathroom break would have messed up her flow.

Now, why would Serena want to go before SHE served? Wouldn't that potentially mess up her rhythm? Maybe it was better to hold it in that instance.

WF4EVER
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:14 AM
I'm also confused about her need to take the bathroom break when Daniela was about to serve and then seeming to have forgotten everything about asking for it in the first place after she had broken. The umpire actually had to remind her how much she had wanted to pee.

Daniela deserved to lose that match for playing like an ass but Serena's actions were a bit questionable. I don't doubt that she was justified in her explanation for requiring the bathroom break but she didn't ask for it a game later and that just looked bad.

vettipooh
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:26 AM
Supergrunt is a fucking troll. The starting of this thread has me convinced!

And me too!! Something needs to be done about him!!

davidmario
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:27 AM
98 haters:lol: I can't believe it...

thelittlestelf
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:36 AM
Serena already had a 3-2 lead in the set (i believe) when she asked to go to the bathroom... so it's not as though she did it to shift the momentum in the match. I can also completely understand why she would have asked to go to the bathroom--she was drinking quite a lot of fluids--and I think the reason why she didn't choose to go to the bathroom in the end was because she decided it wasn't an urgent situation and she should just stay on court instead of risking losing her rhythm in the match.

serenaback
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:48 AM
not to be insensitive but all Serena did was ask to go to the bathroom over a changeover right, and she didnt go as far as i know. If Daniela was disturbed and bothered by such a little thing, then she would have lost the match anyway because going against serena's will and determination is even more unsettling than serena asking for a bathroom break.

-VSR-
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:50 AM
I guess people don't understand that when you are dehydrated you need to drink fluids. Which will eventually lead to using the bathroom. She was always in the lead in the third set and wanted to use the bathroom over a changeover regardless if it was Hantuchovas serve or her own. Ridiculous. Go talk about Golovin's knickers or something.

tennisboi
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:03 AM
She was only slightly injured but she made it out to be worse than it really was...

wetfre
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:29 AM
This situation dont come close to the "hand" issue with Juju and Serena did use gamesmanship.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:43 AM
Serena looked up upon the rain gods and did a rain dance untill it started to poor. :rain: Thats the only thing i can think of :devil:

:lol:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:30 AM
I dont think so at all. She was obviously in pain throughout never moved well and played one striked two step tennis and she won.

sweetpeas
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:35 AM
Why would Serena do that?You think Serena was afraid she would lose?

dreamgoddess099
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:40 AM
Gamesmanship? How, where? She wanted to take the bathroom break because she had to piss, but she wasn't allowed to go. BUT SHE NEVER TOOK THE BATHROOM BREAK. She moved on and proceeded to win without taking the bathroom break, so how you figure she used gamesmanship? You people are getting desperate to discredit this young woman.

silverwhite
Jul 3rd, 2007, 06:18 AM
I feel like I'm wasting my time but here's my last post on this matter:

Likely scenario:
1) Hantuchova serving, Serena asks for bathroom break, umpire says no, Serena has to hold it for one game.
2) Serena serving, umpire asks her if she wants to go. Apparently, Serena asked the umpire whether she would be able to go during the change-over and misunderstood that she could. Having already held it for one game, she said to herself that she could probably hold it for another game (see quote).
3) Change-over. Serena thought she could go but umpire says no so she has to hold it again.

Doesn't take much to roughly figure out Serena's thought process. :)

kiwifan
Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:01 AM
She is definitely the greatest of all time if the haters are giving her credit for making it rain. :p

She got hurt and was going to just keep playing even though she clearly couldn't hang at the time...you'd think Dani's fans would give her credit for that. But if not, f*ck 'em. :shrug:

Plus she didn't get to take the bathroom break she only asked to twice which under the circumstances anyone with a clue could understand...

...she was chugging liquids every chance she got.

Oh well, losers whine...

...winners get ready for the next match. ;)

fioredeliberi
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:07 AM
Serena just did what she had to to win today. Just like justine holding up her hand and not acknowledging it. Serena is no better than the players she criticizes for poor behaviour, in fact this whole episode shows that she is as bad as anyone she has criticized herself.
Anyway, when she plays Juju next, no amt of bad behaviour or gamesmanship will save her. She is going down like the Titanic.
Allez!

Maria Croft
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:32 AM
No, Serena doesn't need that to beat Hantuchova, that's just the way it is.

Dementinator
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:33 AM
absolutely

mckyle.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:57 AM
Well 12 hours later and I still don't see how Serena asking to go to the bathroom could send someone so over the edge that they can't even win a game :lol:

Jirku
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:04 AM
No, Serena doesn't need that to beat Hantuchova, that's just the way it is.

like she didn't need it to beat screamapova during the AO :rolleyes:

Jirku
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:08 AM

why would she be nice to a retard and troll like you :rolleyes:

Shimizu Amon
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:09 AM
I don't think so. A little bit of drama yes :lol: Gamesmanship no.

Petersmiler
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:32 AM
It's not gamesmanship because it didn't friggin affect the match. If you feel the urge to kill someone but don't actually do it, can I accuse you of murder? :weirdo:

If somebody else stops you then I think, in this country at least, you will be charged with attempted murder. What was your point? If the umpire had seen Justine raise her hand and given Serena the first serve again, do you think we would still be reading about it now?

Some fan bases will actually acknowledge weaknesses in their favourites. I feel quite sorry for you if you cant do the same.

Anyway, I voted no.

Serena was definitely cramping badly, you could see it in her calf, damn it you could feel it! I even switched my allegiance in the match because of the fighting spirit.

As for the bathroom break, I think she did want to go. And after she'd broken Dani she probably realised the match wouldn't be much longer so decided to wait.

fifiricci
Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:21 AM
Gamesmanship? How, where? She wanted to take the bathroom break because she had to piss, but she wasn't allowed to go. BUT SHE NEVER TOOK THE BATHROOM BREAK. She moved on and proceeded to win without taking the bathroom break, so how you figure she used gamesmanship? You people are getting desperate to discredit this young woman.

I think you have to work out what the motive is in asking to go to the toilet when you can't go and then not going when you can go. You either want to go or you don't. If Serena really wanted to go, why didn't she subsequently go in the allotted timeslot? Until someone can answer that question convincingly, some of us are going to think that it was yet another tactic to draw attention to herself and try and disrupt her opponent.

TFan1156
Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:28 AM
Actually, I don't see how going to the bathroom would have helped her. Plus, she didn't even go in the end so... :shrug:

Then she must have been lying when she said she desperately had to go, duh...:lol: It`s the oldest trick in the book, ice the server. They were on serve at that point. After Serena broke no longer a need, bladder all cured...;) Same routine as the Pironkova match, French Open, Tsveti winding up to serve a set point and Serena walks off approaching the chair complaining about the drizzle. That umpire though was more easily conned. Play ended up stopped on that court 1/2 before any other...

SunriseSunset
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:36 PM
I thought it was strange that Serena needed to go and then later didn't. She should've just gone anyway, and pretended. She is my favourite player, but that was dodgy...

But that's not excuse for that Sue Barker to read out loads of emails expressing hate towards Serena, and only one supporting her.

Why would the opponent going to pee put someone off? It doesn't take long, and Serena wasn't asking Hantuchova to go with her or something. What difference does it make whether Serena was sitting on her seat during the break, or sitting on the toilet? How is that bad sportpersonship?

People need to accept that even if Serena hadn't been injured, Hantuchova would've still lost. She said in the interview afterwards that Serena was playing fine in the third set, and I remember her using a drop shot making the injured Serena run, so Hantuchova didn't hand her the match. She wasn't good enough to win. What exactly has she won these past few yrs anyway?

frontier
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:52 PM
No,she obviously has been drinking lots of fluids during the rain delay and it was cloudy and most people tend to use the lavatory a lot when its cold or raining.I heard John McEnroe of all people saying she was cheating what else is new with this hater,he has short memory about his history.
Serena is way better than Daniela, Serena was about to win in two why would she use tricks on someone she has beaten six times.

matty
Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:53 PM
I thought it was strange that Serena needed to go and then later didn't. She should've just gone anyway, and pretended. She is my favourite player, but that was dodgy...

But that's not excuse for that Sue Barker to read out loads of emails expressing hate towards Serena, and only one supporting her.

Why would the opponent going to pee put someone off? It doesn't take long, and Serena wasn't asking Hantuchova to go with her or something. What difference does it make whether Serena was sitting on her seat during the break, or sitting on the toilet? How is that bad sportpersonship?

People need to accept that even if Serena hadn't been injured, Hantuchova would've still lost. She said in the interview afterwards that Serena was playing fine in the third set, and I remember her using a drop shot making the injured Serena run, so Hantuchova didn't hand her the match. She wasn't good enough to win. What exactly has she won these past few yrs anyway?

:) Daniela Hantuchova:
Indian Wells Champion 2007!:)

yicheng23
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:53 PM
If she had gone for the bathroom break right before her service game after she had broken Daniela's serve, I would have believed that it was not. But since she didn't, it really raises a lot of doubts for everybody who watched that match.

Wilander
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:06 PM
No.

"Topaz"
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:51 PM
Ahhhh! Forget it! No gamesmanship here. Often you need to pee, you block it for a while, and then you realize you can block it for a while longer. That's the brain controlling the body. Besides, how do we know Rena didn't pee a little bit in her long pants? :o (Just the bladder overflow, folks :)). Nobody checked, I suppose; but we are all talking. Have you ever gone out with a lady where, after dinner, she orders a dessert, and then refuses to eat it? Well, not exactly the same thing, but you've got to know people can change their mind.

LucasArg
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:43 PM
Serena :hug:

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:50 PM
I'm not 100% sure.
I'm slightly perturbed by the fact she needed a toilet break before Hantuchova's service game because she'd been drinking so much water then when the umpire told her she could go (before her own service game) she suddenly didn't need to anymore.

"Fight or flight" syndrome can kick in and the urge to go lessons or goes away. It happens all the time when you're in a situation where you feel the urge, but something happens to take your mind off elsewhere (like getting into the moment of the match) and then you don't feel it anymore.

Also, I don't know about you all, but I learned to hold it as a kid. I remember countless times being in the car on a trip and announcing that I had to go, and the parents saying, "in another thirty miles we'll stop." I waited the thirty miles.

Also, I saw the video and Serena said that she had to go but seemed to indicate that she could "wait" for awhile.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:51 PM
Have you ever gone out with a lady where, after dinner, she orders a dessert, and then refuses to eat it? Well, not exactly the same thing, but you've got to know people can change their mind.

:scratch:

Chrissie-fan
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:23 PM
No gamesmanship IMO, but even if there was, who cares? That's competition, it's a war out there, it's a mental game as much as a physical one, you're out there to win ANY WAY POSSIBLE, etc... All that gamesmanship and unsportsmanlike conduct talk is for wimps. Disputing line-calls, smashing your racquet, going to the loo, all of that stuff is trivial, but very convenient for fans looking for an excuse when their favourite player has lost......The real cheating in sports is the rampant use of drugs, not someone needing to go to the bathroom.

iWill
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:01 PM
Gamesmanship?! I think any person with 2 brain cells has to know that she had to have been drinking all kinds of fluids. So asking to go to the bathroom is not at all out of the ordinary in that situation. As for "suddenly not needing it" when getting the break or holding serve, adrenaline can do a lot and perhaps, like digging down deep to come out and continue that match, she decided to hold it and keep that momentum going.

Yeah I completely agree and its not like Serena served and there wasnt even a changeover and she had asked to go to the bathroom before she got the break and even when the umpire asked her before she served she wanted to go on the changeover still she never changed her mind so I dont see why people can say this is gamesmanship especially since she never went and didnt delay play any longer than Daniela did because Serena waited for Daniela to get off her chair and actually play during that changeover so all these haters can just get over it

ASV_FAN
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:53 PM
The injury was clearly genuine and the proposed bathroom break was clearly gamesmanship. I think anyone who argues otherwise is very deluded.

jfaithfully
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:51 AM
come haven't you been some place where there is no loo and you think shit i'm gonna pee myself you calm down walk it off take your mind of it, it goes away or you talk yourself into saying you ain't gonna pee right now or right here you can and will hold it.
It's not rocket science some are acting like you ain't never held you pee before that a croc of shit and you know it.

Daniela played the ball right to serena because she was expecting her to retire. Once the ball start to fly past her it was too late.