PDA

View Full Version : Must be mentally devastating for Hantuchova to lose a match like this.

tenn_ace
Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:18 PM
See any consequences for her career or will she get over quickly?

Thoughts?

saki
Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:21 PM
It won't make any difference to her career. For a long time now, it's been apparent that, although Dani is an incredible talent, she just doesn't have it. Whatever you want to call it - spark, the mentality of a champion, whatever - she doesn't have it and she likely never will. Less talented players do and have done better.

goldenlox
Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:23 PM
Sharapova was in that situation twice when she was 17. Serena wasn't at her best and Sharapova took advantage.
It's part how much game you have, and part mental

Derek.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:23 PM
This is no where near as bad as what Daniela has already been through.

Derek.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:24 PM
Sharapova was in that situation twice when she was 17. Serena wasn't at her best and Sharapova took advantage.

Wimbledon and YEC are two totally different situations as is YEC 2004 and this match today.

Serena got almost a two hour break. She was only really playing injured for 2 games and half of a tiebreak.

I mean it's not like Daniela lost to her being injured the whole match.

cellophane
Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:25 PM
I don't think Daniela choked particularly. She just played a couple of bad points, but Serena was playing really well.

I don't like how it's all "Daniela sucks because she lost to someone who can barely move." :rolleyes:

DragonFlame
Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:25 PM
poor girl. She was completely fine at 2-2 untill the serena 'toiletbreak':o Pure gamemanship.

tenn_ace
Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:26 PM

I don't think it's a fair comparison. Williams is one of the mentally toughest tennis players ever. Hantuchova is not.

Derek.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:28 PM
I don't think Daniela choked particularly. She just played a couple of bad points, but Serena was playing really well.

I don't like how it's all "Daniela sucks because she lost to someone who can barely move." :rolleyes:

I know really. :o

You'd think Daniela led 6-0 5*-0 40-0 to someone who barely could hold themselves up and lost.

Get real people. :weirdo:

Kunal
Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:29 PM
daniela will get over this soon

goldenlox
Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:29 PM
Hantuchova had her chances. She was playing very well to lead 5-2 in the 2nd. But in the third, she let the situation affect her focus.
It happens. Dani wasn't going to win tomorrow vs Justine anyway.

mckyle.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:38 PM
poor girl. She was completely fine at 2-2 untill the serena 'toiletbreak':o Pure gamemanship.

This is seriously just a really bad attempt to hate on Serena. Serena never took a bathroom break. Serena had the conversation with the umpire during a changeover. I really don't see how having a conversation with an umpire could throw a player off :lol: Daniela is just a headcase who couldn't take advantage of a huge oppurtunity.

nikita771
Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:54 PM
I think that Danielle will be fine. Even though she couldn't pull it out today doesn't mean that she won't be back strong. She's come a long way this year and I am confident that she will continue to improve both physically and mentally.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:01 PM
i love dani, but to be fair, her career has been full of disappointments like this. i cant see her ever being mentally strong to win matches like this regularly. it seems to be that she wins one big match a year-you think maybe shes getting over it and then :weirdo: another meltdown

zayos_10
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:02 PM
I think that Danielle will be fine. Even though she couldn't pull it out today doesn't mean that she won't be back strong. She's come a long way this year and I am confident that she will continue to improve both physically and mentally.

I hope so, ‘cause there‘s no doubt that she lost today ‘cause she was nerveous. she could‘ve done more, I‘m not saying that she should‘ve killed Serena, but just try to take advantage, you know, like drop-shots and things like that. But at the end, she situation was too much for her and Serena, being the way she is, she saw it and never let it go. I guess, “well played" by Serena....

Foxy
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:42 PM
First of all, Daniel knows her serves are weak. But what does the idot do? She serves right into Serena's strike zone of her forehand and her backhand. She was suppose to keep serving into Serena's body, making her get out of the way. There was nothing wrong with Serena's arms, nor her reach. That's all she had to do was sit back and let Daniel feed the balls to her forehand and just hit the crosscourt or backhand winner.

Daniel is like a bean pole, she has no muscles on her bones to do anything with Serena pounding the ball.

Remember when Venus and Lindsay played the 2005 finals and Lindsay got injured in the third set and had to call a trainer because her back went out.

What did Venus effectively do? She hit all of her booming serves right into Lindsay's body and made her get out of the way. Hitting into her did not allow her to be able to use her arms to hit cross court or back hand winners. Then Venus would drop shot her because Lindsay couldn't bend.

And Mary Carillo kept on saying how smart it was for Venus to keep exploiting her weaknesses.

Daniels coach should have told her that during the 10 minute exchange they get before going into the 3rd set.

If that was Justine, do you think an injured Serena would have advanced to the next round. Hell no.

Justine would not have only served to Serena's body, she would have used every kind of shot in her arsenal against Serena.

Daniell's losing is her lack of experience and her lack of knowledge about shot selection.

What she needs to do is put some muscles on that "stick" frame of hers. My little niece Gabriel is in elementary school and she has more curves than her.

vw.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
She's fine. She was actually positive in her Post Match interview.

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2007-07-02/200707021183408065328.html

Serena Williams (USA)[7] beat Daniela Hantuchova (SVK)[10] 6-2, 6-7, 6-2

Q. When you went over when Serena was down on the ground, what did you think was wrong with her?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: I asked the umpire and he told me she was cramping. That's what was going on.

Q. How difficult did you keep your concentration on Serena's cramp?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Yeah, it's tough. You never want something like this to happen. It's so hard to play against somebody that you know is struggling, and you kind of feel sorry. At the same time you have to be tough and still play your game.

Yeah, mentally it was very, very tough plus having to deal with the rain so, yeah, the conditions were difficult.

Q. When it started to rain, what went through your mind?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Well, there were a couple of rain breaks, so I don't know which one you mean.

Q. The longer one.

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Yeah, definitely I don't think it helped me. I mean, when somebody's cramping, usually it's because you're getting tired. She had a couple of hours to rest. After that I think, you know, she played very well.

So, yeah, this time didn't help me.

Q. As the third set went on, what did you think of her injury situation?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Well, in the third set, I don't think there was anything wrong at all. I think she was moving very well. I don't think there can be too much wrong when you serve 120 miles an hour. It was definitely a tough set but I still felt like I had my chances, but I didn't take them.

Q. You don't think you had any advantages in the third set?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: In the third set, I don't think so at all. I think third set was very even. I would say that if, you know, maybe there was no rain, that would have been advantage for me. But in the third set, there was nothing like that.

Q. How will you remember this match?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Uhm, very exciting. I was really enjoying it. The crowd was great. It's always to be great on the Centre Court. I think I can take a lot of positives from the match. I feel like I can play against anyone and definitely I felt like I had my chances today, I just didn't take them. But, you know, I can learn from that and be better next time.

Q. What about the opportunity that you had there? What was going through your mind when you saw she was clearly not herself?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Well, I was not thinking about anything at all. I was just, you know, waiting what was going to happen and just try to still be focused and think about what I have to do in my game to win.

Q. Serena said when you hit the dropshot she got fired up. Do you have any thoughts or comments about that?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: I don't know what dropshot you mean because I hit a couple.

Q. I think the first one after her injury.

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: I don't remember. Was it in the third set?

Q. I believe so.

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Well, I don't think there was anything wrong with me hitting the dropshot. I do it all the time. Yeah, I mean, I do hit a lot of dropshots. That's part of my game.

Q. She said she would do the same thing.

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Yeah, I mean, a lot of players do hit dropshots, so.

Q. In terms of strategy, did you have to think about any strategy based on her condition?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: No. I just tried to stay focused on my game and not think too much what was going on on the other side, just try to do the right things.

Q. Have you had this kind of situation in your career before, somebody injured, you have to deal with it?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: A couple times there were some opponents that had some kind of injury. As I said, it's tough because you feel sorry for them because you know what they have to go through. But at the same time you still have to be focused on what you have to do on the court.

Q. What advice did you get from your coach in terms of how to play Serena with her injury?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Just the same as at the start of the match: to play my game and not to think about what was going on on the other side.

Q. What were you thinking when you walked to her?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: I did really feel sorry because it didn't look very, very nice. She really looked like she was struggling a lot. You know, there was nothing much I could have done, so just kind of waited what was going to happen.

Q. Was this a match that Serena won or that you lost?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Tough to say. I think I lost it. I think I had my chances. Maybe if I would have kept the ball in play a little longer, had been a little more patient, that could have been different.

I think the third set, there were couple points here and there that decided it. Like I said, I definitely feel like I had my chances; just didn't take them today.

zayos_10
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:46 PM
First of all, Daniel knows her serves are weak. But what does the idot do? She serves right into Serena's strike zone of her forehand and her backhand. She was suppose to keep serving into Serena's body, making her get out of the way. There was nothing wrong with Serena's arms, nor her reach. That's all she had to do was sit back and let Daniel feed the balls to her forehand and just hit the crosscourt or backhand winner.

Daniel is like a bean pole, she has no muscles on her bones to do anything with Serena pounding the ball.

Remember when Venus and Lindsay played the 2005 finals and Lindsay got injured in the third set and had to call a trainer because her back went out.

What did Venus effectively do? She hit all of her booming serves right into Lindsay's body and made her get out of the way. Hitting into her did not allow her to be able to use her arms to hit cross court or back hand winners. Then Venus would drop shot her because Lindsay couldn't bend.

And Mary Carillo kept on saying how smart it was for Venus to keep exploiting her weaknesses.

Daniels coach should have told her that during the 10 minute exchange they get before going into the 3rd set.

If that was Justine, do you think an injured Serena would have advanced to the next round. Hell no.

Justine would not have only served to Serena's body, she would have used every kind of shot in her arsenal against Serena.

Daniell's losing is her lack of experience and her lack of knowledge about shot selection.

What she needs to do is put some muscles on that "stick" frame of hers. My little niece Gabriel is in elementary school and she has more curves than her.

100 % right!! it was really simple what she had to do, I think, but her nerves got the best of her. i hope she will learn something from this.

joz
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:50 PM
It won't make any difference to her career. For a long time now, it's been apparent that, although Dani is an incredible talent, she just doesn't have it. Whatever you want to call it - spark, the mentality of a champion, whatever - she doesn't have it and she likely never will. Less talented players do and have done better.

I agree... To me there was no doubt she would lose even when it seemed impossible for Serena to win. Dani played tentative at times late the match. Perhaps most telling was her feet being in concrete after she'd serve. It was like she'd hit a serve and then just stand there like she didn't expect it to come back or like she thought she would get a puff return. Maybe it was nerves but she just froze.

I have to admite in watching some lesser players this week blow leads... I'm starting to think the women should only seed the top 8.

treufreund
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:17 PM
I was disappointed in how Daniela's coach and mother showed absolutely no positive emotions or encouragement to her. The coach looked apathetic and the mother downright sour and bitter. I know that sitting next to Richard was really bothering her however.

Pasta-Na
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:33 PM
danni always play well on grass. she will be fine :)

edificio
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:14 PM
I don't see why this loss should be mentally devastating. In professional tennis, you mostly lose every week. She's a professional. She knows there is always another tournament. She's still young.

nozaroc
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:17 PM
This isn't just another tournament, this is Wimbledon. This was likely her best chance to advance she'll ever get. In a crowded pack, she just doesn't have anything special to crack the top ten consistently. Granted, she would've gotten her bell rung by Justine, but still.

Her coach did tell her what to do on the break (move Serena side to side), she didn't execute. But it's not like it takes a tennis genius to figure out what to do anyway.

And yeah, Mr. Williams was especially irritating today. Your kid's injured, we get it. Now sit down and shut up.

frontier
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:28 PM
Hantukova is clearly not champion material there was no way she was going to win the match because when she choked at 5-2 she clearly displayed lack of self belief.
The problem she has is that she is so want to beat serena desperately and that gets in the way of her playing fluid tennis.

tenn_ace
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:30 PM
I don't see why this loss should be mentally devastating. In professional tennis, you mostly lose every week. She's a professional. She knows there is always another tournament. She's still young.

she lost to a one legged opponent

cellophane
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:54 PM
she lost to a one legged opponent

Who played great tennis in the 3rd set? :confused: Serena wasn't serving at 60 miles per hour in the 3rd set? :confused:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:10 AM
Daniela is too "good" as a tennis player... she was way more concerned about the well-being of Serena rather than winning the game (the first few games when Serena was injured shows that). Nevertheless, she's still a very nice girl, and that's why I like her :hug:

On the other hand, if Serena's opponent were Justine, Maria, Amelie or Jankovic, I SERIOUSLY DOUBT that they will give an inch to her... :tape:

GrandSlam05
Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:03 AM
I don't think she should be that mentally devastated. Serena without her movement today was basically playing like Davenport (high risk tennis with little movement), and Hantuchova always lost to Davenport.