PDA

View Full Version : Serena needs to retire

mdterp01
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:04 PM
A strain is much different from a cramp and it just wasn't meant to be. Even at grade 1, its a 2 week recovery time. Valiant effort, Serena but no need to jeopardize long term in trying to win this year's tournament. I know its easy for me to sit here and just say retire but I'm talking to a friend of mine now who is a sports physiotherapist who said if it is a strain she can do more damage. Let Daniela have the win by retirement and recover.

woosey
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:08 PM
you're jumping the gun.

sharapovarulz1
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:10 PM
Hmmmm interesting point but do you really see Serena retiring???

GrandSlam05
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:15 PM
I think she should at least try starting the match again. If she loses the 2nd set and is still injured, then retire. Otherwise she might win this match and have a day off and feel much better. Who knows? :confused:

woosey
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:16 PM
i would not necessarily go by the news report just yet. things are easily misinterpreted and miscontrued.

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:17 PM
Let's see how she looks when they go back out before jumping to conclusions. :shrug:

nikita771
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:18 PM
She looks like she's still favoring the leg. I just hope that she doesn't do more damage.

tenn_ace
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:19 PM
they just confirm that Serena could threaten her career if she continues to play (according to doctors).

Kunal
who knows whats gonna happen

sharapovarulz1
She's back oncourt and i am going to watch this match! laterz guys!

nikita771
She's been told not to play! If she insists on playing, I hope that she finishes this tiebreak with a win and gets off the court.

azinna
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:20 PM
According to MJFernandez, the calf is not responding to treatment. Doctor warns her that she could worsen the injury and threaten future performance. Richard says they should end it. Serena insists on playing.

Jasmin
Well I certainly wouldn't go by whatever richard says. He's always trying to retire the sisters. I don't know what his problem is.

If she wins this then she will get retired probably the next match..so annoying.

Stamp Paid
You can't keep a good woman down.

mdterp01
Well there you heard it. THE DOCTOR said if she continues she risks further damage and her CAREER! Richard said it was time to bag it in but Serena valiantly wants to fight on. Its Serena's decision but geez Serena. Even if you win this how on earth does she think she's gonna fare against Justine? Is she trying to get the ranking points? I don't get it.

kabuki
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:22 PM
Please be safe Serena... :unsure:

John.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:22 PM
According to the WTA Trainer, the leg has been treated and it's fine. Serena is raring to go :shrug:

IAM#1
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:23 PM
well remember the same thing happened with venus in the clijsters match.. Serena will be fine!!!!

tenn_ace
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:24 PM
Serena should listen to her dad. He has her best interest in heart.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:26 PM
A strain is much different from a cramp and it just wasn't meant to be. Even at grade 1, its a 2 week recovery time. Valiant effort, Serena but no need to jeopardize long term in trying to win this year's tournament. I know its easy for me to sit here and just say retire but I'm talking to a friend of mine now who is a sports physiotherapist who said if it is a strain she can do more damage. Let Daniela have the win by retirement and recover.

Yeah she shoulnd't jeapordize her leg...if she lose this tiebreak she needs to pull out...even though I wanted her to get to Justine..but even if she did she wouldn't even be 100% against her..and Serena, Mauresmo, and MAYBE Venus are the only ones that can stop Mrs. Justine..so..i guess we'll see...poor Serena..I sure wanted her to be 100%

nikita771
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:27 PM
Talk about drama. I need to revisit the thread about it not being easy to be a Williams fan. Everything was looking on track and then she gets injured. My heart goes out to her.

Slutiana
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:31 PM
it doesnt seem much better at all

Babolatpro880
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:32 PM
Well I certainly wouldn't go by whatever richard says. He's always trying to retire the sisters. I don't know what his problem is.

If she wins this then she will get retired probably the next match..so annoying.

He's first and foremost a father, not a coach. Which would be why he's putting the health of his daughter ahead of her winning one tennis match. Something a lot of people could do with understanding.

Slutiana
wow she just served a 120 mph serve nd then a 2nd serva ace at 103 mph

ampers&
Even if she manages to win, her leg would still be fucked. How in the world would she be able to compete with Justine? She would most likely have to pull out anyway, so why not retire and let Daniela have the match and limit the risk of her calf getting worse. This is a matter of seriously getting injured. Would she rather pull out and miss a few weeks or injure herself further and miss the entire summer hard court season? I love her to death, but she's not being smart right now.

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:33 PM
For all we know she might end up being okay.

I can't help but want her to keep playing right now. She just held for 1-0.

Come on, Serena.

edit: K, maybe she should stop. This sucks.

Jasmin
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:36 PM
I'm not just talking about serena retiring. Maybe it is best but I'm talking about Richard and how he's always trying to get Venus to move on from tennis. It's like they are grown...let them make their decisions whether it's bad or not. Since it's the 3rd set Serena will be lucky to make it.

saki
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:38 PM
It all depends on whether it's a strain or cramp. If it's a strain then I think Serena should retire. She could do some serious muscle damage and she doesn't need another serious injury. If it's cramp, she could play through it and be fine tomorrow.

Princeza
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:39 PM
Yes she should.

b_o_r
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:41 PM
There goes the gold racquet

ampers&
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:44 PM
Come on, Serena.

edit: K, maybe she should stop. This sucks.
:lol: :p

Is the injury a strain or a cramp then? I'm watching live scores at work so I really have no idea what's going on. How in the world is she able to serve at 120mph with a calf strain? :unsure:

tenn_ace
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:45 PM

Is the injury a strain or a cramp then? I'm watching live scores at work so I really have no idea what's going on. How in the world is she able to serve at 120mph with a calf strain? :unsure:

spasm induced strain... that's official diagnosis

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:46 PM

She's moving semi-gingerly during rallies, but she seems to be bending well and is still getting tons of heat on her serves and groundies. She's teeing off on everything.

I really dont know what to make of this. :shrug:

V-MAC
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:47 PM
Poor Daniela. This must be a nightmare scenario for her too.

harloo
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:48 PM
She's moving semi-gingerly during rallies, but she seems to be bending well and is still getting tons of heat on her serves and groundies. She's teeing off on everything.

I really dont know what to make of this. :shrug:

I think Serena is determined to win at all costs but this still isn't good for her in the long run. She needs to accept that the Wimbledon title isn't for her this year and take care of that leg. Please let her retire from this nightmare before she seriously threatens her career.:sad:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
There is no way Sererna is going to retire against Dani today. She wants this win BAD. ;)

aNYthing
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:49 PM

Same situation for me, and it's killing me that I can't watch anything. I'm sooo nervous.

Stamp Paid
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:51 PM
Serena! SHIT.

vejh
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:51 PM
Nobody knows what's going on.lol.

Daniela must be so confused.

Obviously Serena can't worsen the injury or else she wouldn't be playing now, or would she?

Nickk
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:54 PM
Serena just said she had to use a bathroom as she has been drinking a lot due to the fact that she was cramping.

harloo
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:56 PM
Serena just said she had to use a bathroom as she has been drinking a lot due to the fact that she was cramping.

Oh lord, take me now!! :help:

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:57 PM
She's playing with SO MUCH heart and fire right now.

CMON SERENA!!! Do this, baby.