PDA

View Full Version : NBC Serena Cheerleading Sickening

AlexB
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:44 PM
"we need rain NOW!!" nonsense was a complete disgrace. I wonder if Daniela was cramping if the announcers would be so cavalier in rooting for rain..

It also puts to rest the myth that announcers are anti Serena as has been alleged on these boards...

merda2004
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:46 PM
well said

Lolo8
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:52 PM
They DON"T like Serena. They just want to see a Williams VS Henin quaterfinal. Believe me they despise Serena. Especially MaEnroe and that Robinson idiot.

mdterp01
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:52 PM
:yawn: :zzz:

harloo
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:53 PM
"we need rain NOW!!" nonsense was a complete disgrace. I wonder if Daniela was cramping if the announcers would be so cavalier in rooting for rain..

It also puts to rest the myth that announcers are anti Serena as has been alleged on these boards...

This is the first time they have expressed this sentiment in regards to Serena so don't get your friggin panties in a bunch. I've heard them say, "let's hope the rain comes" for Maria(against Venus in 2005), Justine(against Venus in 2001), and countless other matches involving non-Americans. I sure didn't see you start an NBC commentators are biased thread then.:o

ImaVeggie
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:55 PM

I do not agree at all. I believe they would have been the same for any player.

Venus+Serena#1fan
No need to whine.
Serena is the greatest active player on tour and arguably the biggest draw in womens tennis. She suffered a SEVERE cramp that had her in tears and unable to lift herself up, she resumed play with tears in her eyes.

Obviously Carillo, Mcenroe & NBC don't want to see Serena go out like that, nobody does and there's nothing wrong in expressing support for her at a difficult time.

Commentators from most countries usually blatently cheer for their players so some support for Serena in this case is not uncalled for.

Kipling

Wow! Finally someone else noticed.

Sadly, you won't even get a sniff of acknowledgment from anyone in the williams sister fan club here, but you're right. American media covering tennis bends over backwards to ignore the reality and portray things as they think Americans want to see them. Seriously--wouldn't Fernandez and Carillo have to be on drugs to think that there is going to be an all-Williams final?

I think they've gotten a message from ESPN management to over-hype them so that more people will tune in. It's the only explanation that makes any sense.

AlexB
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:58 PM
This is the first time they have expressed this sentiment in regards to Serena so don't get your friggin panties in a bunch. I've heard them say, "let's hope the rain comes" for Maria(against Venus in 2005), Justine(against Venus in 2001), and countless other matches involving non-Americans. I sure didn't see you start an NBC commentators are biased thread then.:o

I wasn't on the board in 01 so I couldn't have posted then. Also I dont remember seeing the incident in 2005 , but if it happened the way you say, that was a disgrace as well. Announcers should not be rooting for rain under any circumstances!

The men's draw is getting really out of hand with all this rain

Dementieva Guts
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:03 PM
I like serena, she's such a fighter. She got real talent unlike many other hypers.

But this time, the tournament referees gave her an undeserved "timeout". It sad for a player to be injured, but they can't give any player a "15 minutes" timeout after suffering cramps.

Fitness is such a important part of competitive sports. When a player cannot continue "by herself", she has to withdraw, IT'S NOT HER CHOICE.

These long "injurie timeouts" got to stop. If you can't play through that pain, you gone!

Its not fair to hantuchova. The match should be stop when serena wasn't able to get up by herself.

Hope hantu wins that one!

AlexB
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:05 PM
No need to whine.
Serena is the greatest active player on tour and arguably the biggest draw in womens tennis. She suffered a SEVERE cramp that had her in tears and unable to lift herself up, she resumed play with tears in her eyes.

Obviously Carillo, Mcenroe & NBC don't want to see Serena go out like that, nobody does and there's nothing wrong in expressing support for her at a difficult time.

Commentators from most countries usually blatently cheer for their players so some support for Serena in this case is not uncalled for.

This has nothing to do with Serena. Fitness is part of tennis and if you cramp up or physically cant continue, you should lose. Being one of the greatest players ever doesn't mean you shouldn't lose because of fitness issues.

Other countries being cheerleaders of their players does not mean it's right and that USA announcers should do it, no matter who it is.

GrandSlam05
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:06 PM
NBC is an AMERICAN network and Serena is an AMERICAN. There is nothing wrong with them being pro-Serena.

Bayo
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:09 PM
I think it had less to do with patriotic affiliation, and was more about not wanting to see a champion of Serena Williams' caliber limp out of Wimbledon.

This thread is null.

AlexB
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:09 PM
NBC is an AMERICAN network and Serena is an AMERICAN. There is nothing wrong with them being pro-Serena.

We should demand better of our commentators..I do not want to listen to paid cheerleaders

supergrunt
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:10 PM
:yawn: . Serena bashing thread number 12 :banana: .

woosey
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:11 PM
they better be rooting for her.

AlexB
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:12 PM
I think it had less to do with patriotic affiliation, and was more about not wanting to see a champion of Serena Williams' caliber limp out of Wimbledon.

This thread is null.

If you are not fit you should be out...no matter if you are serena, federer, whomever

AlexB
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:14 PM
:yawn: . Serena bashing thread number 12 :banana: .

Serena did nothing wrong here...I am making a general point about commentators that you chose to interpret as a Serena attack :rolleyes:

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:15 PM
:weirdo: Gimme a fucking break. Anyone going through what Serena just went through would have gotten the same reaction from the commentators. One might not agree with everything they say, but that doesnt mean theyre all heartless shits.

Jeez.

winone23
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:17 PM
The moaning continues..........

Kunal

BullShit

treufreund
I TURNED off the tv hours ago when NBC decided to continually lie to us and say that this was LIVE tennis. what a joke!

hablo
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:18 PM
Cheerleading for you own country's players is common place.
You should hear the French commentators when Momo is playing
or the Quebecker ones when the Habs are playing.

Anyhow, I was cheering for rain too and so was the crowd. :shrug:

tennisjunky
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:20 PM

FOOL OF A TOOK! doesnt proove anything except that they think a match up between justine and serena (even an injured serena) will make for better tennis than justine vs. dani. only a delussional dani fan would believe she could even stand a chance against justine.

they want the matchup that will cater to the most people and do the most for tennis. justine vs. serena is good for the sport. dani vs. anytop player is not.

tenn_ace
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:22 PM
Let's go Serena :bounce: Finish it off in the tie-break :hug:

kiwifan
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:24 PM
They DON"T like Serena. They just want to see a Williams VS Henin quaterfinal. Believe me they despise Serena. Especially MaEnroe and that Robinson idiot.

Looks like someone actually understands televised professional sports. ;)

Damn how old are some of you? :weirdo:

They don't care about Serena's health, they care about getting the match they've been hyping since the beginning of the fortnight ;)

matty
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:29 PM
I feel for Serena,, but I think it was a bit much, she was looking really tired in that 2nd set, she was on the ground forever...i dunno maybe a little favoritism was going on there. Anyway i think Justine would demolish her,(unfortunately),if she makes it to the 1/4 finals.