PDA

View Full Version : Rain gives Serena Williams hope to stay at Wimbledon

lenkatuckova
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:44 PM
Serena Williams was hoping for the rain to come as the Slovakian Daniela Hantuchova
was leading in the tie breaker 4-2.
For those who have not seen the game, Serena won the first set 6 : 2. Daniela Hantuchova was leading in the second set 3 : 0, but Serena was able to come back and set off the game. Unfortunately, Serenaís calf cramped and she was in much pain. I donít know how she was able to keep playing, but luckily for her the rain came and saved her from losing the tie breaker. Hantuchova showed so much concern for her, but she probably forgot that she is in competition. She could have made Serena run side to side, or send her few drop shots, but instead she played the balls straight at her! At that time Serena was not able to run at all; she could barely walk.
Now that the rain saved Serena, she may be able to recover from the painful injury and come back strong and maybe win the match.

bruce goose
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:14 PM
Hello Again Lenka, You are right on several accounts:(1)Your Slovak distant cousin is similar to many Europeans who are self-conscious about exploiting an injury;(2)Serena DID come back to win but admitted that she would have lost,and that's RARE for Serena,had it not been for the delay.She really is quite an enigma in the sense that she always seems to be in exceptional physical condition yet she's constantly getting a high amount of injuries.Though I'm not a physician,she must be doing SOMEthing--or several things--wrong to leave herself vulnerable to these problems.
Although THIS setback today appears perfectly legit,let's not forget that Serena is also an habitual excuse-maker as when she lost to Henin at the French.This is the one trait that will historically put Serena a full notch below other greats such as Navratilova and Graf who realized that one HAS TO be at their best every day when they're a champion."I wasn't playing my kind of tennis" is NOT a valid excuse for losing,it's just Serena's psychological alibi for boosting her self-esteem when she is defeated sometimes.She's prone to declaring certain mysterious "injuries" whenever the clay court season,her least favorite by far,rolls around.She's had quite a few defaults that helped her avoid playing her sister,and then she magically healed the next day to play doubles.
In summary,Henin is probably cringing at the prospect of a healthy Serena;she's dominated her 4-1 on clay but is 0-5 on all other surfaces.If she can neatly sew up Daniela while hurt,then imagine how strong she'll be at 100%.She's already masterfully hogtied one of the most dangerous grass-courters,the blonde Aussie fox Molik,so we'll see what Justine can do to slow down Serena's power. BG

lenkatuckova
Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:33 PM
Hi Bruce Goose,
you are right, it's going to be a tough match for both, Henin and S. Williams.
I would love to see Henin to come out as a winner, however, it may not be easy for her. It also depends what are the real health conditions Serena is going through!?
You never know with her...
Thanx for your commentary :)
Lenka

bruce goose
Jul 4th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Well Lenka...you proved to be wiser than I was as you picked Justine to win even before the tournament started.You also mentioned Jankovic,who was smushed by Henin's semifinal opponent Bartoli,but you seemed to declare Justine as your first candidate.You'll HAVE to let me know if Serena looked injured to you;she'll almost definitely include that,regardless,in her LONG list of excuses at the press conference.Henin mopped up Bartoli at Eastbourne yet they've only played twice, and Marion has kicked some ass this week against her former conquerors.Let's not forget that VENUS is 7-1 versus Justine and that loss occurred in their first meeting in 2001 prior to Venus's domination of her in the Wimbledon final.Venus's victim today,healthy swimsuit beauty Maria,got her face shoved in the sand in continuation of the Williams sisters using her as a playtoy.She may have to return to modelling until the Compton Girls retire.At least she'll set a MUCH better example,health- and beauty-wise,than 99.9% of those other models.

Super_Marion
Jul 4th, 2007, 06:50 PM
I always feel that if one of the Williams WANTS to win a slam, then one of them WILL win.

Of course, i'm happy that Marion is there, and would love for her to win Wimbledon. :)

bruce goose
Jul 5th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Well Super Marion,if they don't have the determination or focus to win,then they really don't deserve it,do they?That's why your favorite Marion is still in the tournament and Serena,well...take your pick from a long list of her excuses that a true champion would only use sparingly(and she uses CONSTANTLY).Serena was injured,she couldn't concentrate,she wasn't playing her game,blah,blah,blah;she apparently has never been outplayed by her opponent(AMAZING!).Good luck to your Marion against the hard-nosed Justine.

lenkatuckova
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Well Lenka...you proved to be wiser than I was as you picked Justine to win even before the tournament started.You also mentioned Jankovic,who was smushed by Henin's semifinal opponent Bartoli,but you seemed to declare Justine as your first candidate.You'll HAVE to let me know if Serena looked injured to you;she'll almost definitely include that,regardless,in her LONG list of excuses at the press conference.Henin mopped up Bartoli at Eastbourne yet they've only played twice, and Marion has kicked some ass this week against her former conquerors.Let's not forget that VENUS is 7-1 versus Justine and that loss occurred in their first meeting in 2001 prior to Venus's domination of her in the Wimbledon final.Venus's victim today,healthy swimsuit beauty Maria,got her face shoved in the sand in continuation of the Williams sisters using her as a playtoy.She may have to return to modelling until the Compton Girls retire.At least she'll set a MUCH better example,health- and beauty-wise,than 99.9% of those other models.
Only Serena can know how much hurt she is and whether she is able to play. It seemed to be very painful on TV though. I must say, that I was happy for Serena's sister Venus to beat Sharapova.
But my biggest joy was to see Nicole Vaidisova getting to the next round through Mauresmo. It really made my day yesterday :)
What about seeing Vaidisova against Henin in the final??? But I am probably jumping too much ahead. Nicole will be facing Ivanovic first and possibly Venus. Those are some tough matches too.

Lenka

bruce goose
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Lenka, You are right that we cannot take the place of God by reading people's hearts,but it IS awfully suspicious that Serena is apparently NEVER defeated by her opponent.She loses her matches because she had an off day...or used the wrong strategy...or was distracted due to a scary nightmare from the previous night's sleep.It's always SOME sorry excuse with her so she lacks credibility whenever she makes these various claims.The sportswriters said that she appeared to be moving at full speed so she couldn't have been THAT hurt.
As for your fellow Czech,you understandably had your doubts before the tournament with Nicole's lack of experience on grass,but she is much more focused than the great majority of teen queens so she has a fighting chance.She hasn't beaten Henin yet although this might be the ideal surface for it since Justine can't move her side-to-side as she could on red clay. --BG

lenkatuckova
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:59 AM
I was impressed by Nicole's play against Mauresmo. By winning the tiebreak she won the match.

I don't really follow on Serena's tennis excuses... however hitting your calf with the tennis racket was not very clever, as she could have done more damage. She should rather think of playing more tennis throughout the year then just appearing at the grand slams and then making excuses.

I'm anxcious to see tomorrow's matches!
Thanks for your opinions!
Lenka

bruce goose
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Hello again Lenka, Sorry that your countrywoman didn't win her match but not TOO sorry;you see,though it might be hard for you to appreciate this as a woman,normal red-blooded men don't wish to see EITHER lose when two gorgeous ladies are competing with each other.Despite Nicole's athletic figure,Ana is actually the shapelier one yet this is like comparing gold to rubies.Even if you preferred one,you couldn't be disappointed with the other.
Unless she starts acting crazy like the teen Capriati did,it's only a matter of time until Nicole begins winning Majors so you shouldn't worry too much over her loss to Ana. --BG

lenkatuckova
Jul 5th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Unfortunately I haven't seen the match, but for Nicole it has been a victory to get so far at this year's Wimbledon.
And she will have some more opportunities in the future that she is capable of winning ;)

Let's see how the next matches will turn out...
Lenka

bruce goose
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:05 PM
I always feel that if one of the Williams WANTS to win a slam, then one of them WILL win.

Of course, i'm happy that Marion is there, and would love for her to win Wimbledon. :)
"Super Marion",it's strange to see someone with the Union Jack cheering for one of the Frogs from across the Channel,but congrats to your gal Bartoli on her surprisingly-impressive run.She'll STILL be the underdog tomorrow though one CANNOT count her out after she has snuffed Peer,Jankovic,AND Henin in the same tourney.

As for her opponent,Venus very rarely loses at this stage of a NON-clay tournament unless it's to her sister.With regard to your other comments,both Williams girls are capable of incredible,unstoppable tennis,but they clearly lack the discipline and intensity to sustain it over a long period as have better champions such as Graf,Evert,& Navratilova.They DO rank near the top,and Serena is No.1,when it comes to offering lame excuses following a loss.Serena claimed that she "missed her opportunities to control the match" vs. Henin at Roland Garros.Gee,Serena,to which opportunities are you referring?The rest of the world saw you get your ass kicked and dominated.If Marion DOES defeat Williams tomorrow,then hopefully Venus will show her gracious side as she has more frequently as of late.Buen suerta to both ladies. --BG

Tim_Danielafan6
Jul 7th, 2007, 05:51 AM
poor daniela she was so robbed, she needs that arrogance as much as i hate players having that daniela is just too nice, she'll bounce back as always tho. hang in there dani ur time will come, ur a deserving girl

bruce goose
Jul 7th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Tim,there IS a difference between conceited arrogance and athletic confidence,so it wouldn't ruin Daniela's sunny outlook if she ever gained the latter.She HAS won a couple of big tournaments but,as you said,she'll need some fire in her if she wants to win Slams.Daniela has that naturally-warm,wide easy grin that can't be faked,and it's stupid when some shithead photographer tries to soil her beauty during a modelling shoot by asking her to pout and snarl like a slut.
By the way,your Aussie gal Molik appears to be one of those down-to-earth types who appreciates football and other basic things in life.Combine that with her height & blondness and she's a DEEEE-licious package. --BG

bruce goose
Jul 15th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I was impressed by Nicole's play against Mauresmo. By winning the tiebreak she won the match.

I don't really follow on Serena's tennis excuses... however hitting your calf with the tennis racket was not very clever, as she could have done more damage. She should rather think of playing more tennis throughout the year then just appearing at the grand slams and then making excuses.

I'm anxcious to see tomorrow's matches!
Thanks for your opinions!
Lenka Hello again,Lenka, This seemed an appropriate time to review our prior conversation...Although I believe that Serena was probably in lots of pain vs.Hantuchova,you made an excellent point when you wondered why she would smack her racket against a supposedly "seriously injured" calf in the Henin match.Both of the Williams girls are extremely difficult to beat when they're focused,but--though they're both intelligent--they just don't have the mental fortitude to maintain their intensity in the way that most Hall-of-Famers had.

They were raised in the strange religious cult known as the Jehovah's Witnesses(so why are they named after PAGAN goddesses?),and this sort of upbringing has a PROVEN tendency to warp a person's mindset at least somewhat.Venus appears to be the more grounded of the two,but they are both prone to drifting off into their own little world.Serena decided to add another excuse besides her calf following the loss to Justine,so she suddenly remembered that her thumb had been hurting too.This forced her to either look like a pathological liar by playing Fed Cup,or to give herself the psychological break she was seeking as a result of her unexpected defeat on grass(her best surface).Maybe she felt that Venus could stop the Russians all by herself.Big sis' nearly pulled it off until Petrova and Vesnina put up an inspired fight in the clinching doubles match.Lisa Raymond is a superb doubles player,yet wouldn't a Williams/Williams combo be the one you'd prefer?The fifth match likely would've been irrelevant anyway had Serena shown up in VT.All of the patriotic American tennis fans are saying,"Great timing for your brain's vacation,Serena!"

lenkatuckova
Jul 16th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Hey Brucie goosie,
u seem to know so much about the sisters Williams :clap2:
and even about their upbringing !!!
I have read an interesting interview with Nicole Vaidisova's coach, who is also
her step-father. It was also very interesting, but not as much as sisters Williams :lol:
L.

Hello again,Lenka, This seemed an appropriate time to review our prior conversation...Although I believe that Serena was probably in lots of pain vs.Hantuchova,you made an excellent point when you wondered why she would smack her racket against a supposedly "seriously injured" calf in the Henin match.Both of the Williams girls are extremely difficult to beat when they're focused,but--though they're both intelligent--they just don't have the mental fortitude to maintain their intensity in the way that most Hall-of-Famers had.

They were raised in the strange religious cult known as the Jehovah's Witnesses(so why are they named after PAGAN goddesses?),and this sort of upbringing has a PROVEN tendency to warp a person's mindset at least somewhat.Venus appears to be the more grounded of the two,but they are both prone to drifting off into their own little world.Serena decided to add another excuse besides her calf following the loss to Justine,so she suddenly remembered that her thumb had been hurting too.This forced her to either look like a pathological liar by playing Fed Cup,or to give herself the psychological break she was seeking as a result of her unexpected defeat on grass(her best surface).Maybe she felt that Venus could stop the Russians all by herself.Big sis' nearly pulled it off until Petrova and Vesnina put up an inspired fight in the clinching doubles match.Lisa Raymond is a superb doubles player,yet wouldn't a Williams/Williams combo be the one you'd prefer?The fifth match likely would've been irrelevant anyway had Serena shown up in VT.All of the patriotic American tennis fans are saying,"Great timing for your brain's vacation,Serena!"

bruce goose
Jul 16th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Hello Lenka, Wow!! Now I've got a sweet Czech putting her own nickname twist on my blog name(a female co-worker put your version on me some years ago)!Living in the U.S. gave me a chance to learn lots about the Williams girls.In case you were unaware,their old home has a reputation as one of the worst black-American neighborhoods in that country so they were often in the news for providing a surprising,changing face to the typically all-white tennis world.They've each done a ton of good by re-invigorating attempts to bring tennis to the inner cities in the States.
By the way,two of your favorite countryfolk,Vaidisova and Berdych,acquitted themselves pretty well at Wimbledon.Your mentioning Nicole's STEPfather makes me wonder if the divorce rate in the Czech and Slovak Republics has skyrocketed since the Commies fell(feel free to comment).You DON'T want your homeland to turn out like the U.S. where marriage is,sadly,a joke.Let's hope that Nicole never allows her beauty to go to her head.It's a curious reality that women--AND men--become their ugliest once they're convinced how gorgeous they are...sad but true. --BG

bruce goose
Jul 27th, 2007, 09:19 PM
poor daniela she was so robbed, she needs that arrogance as much as i hate players having that daniela is just too nice, she'll bounce back as always tho. hang in there dani ur time will come, ur a deserving girl Hey,Tim! Checking out Daniela's match with Olga Govortsova reminded me of your quote.Although Daniela's just a little bit too skinny,she's NOT scrawny like some bony undernourished,powder-sniffing model.IMAGINE if we put her on a Mexican diet and added a couple curves to her tall,lovely frame.How many heart attacks would THAT cause?
Maybe the most charming thing about her face--there's so much to choose from with this gold mine of beauty--is her easy smile.By 'easy smile' I mean that she sweetly,NATURALLY grins as a down-to-earth farmgirl would when she accidentally spilled the milk.Not every pretty gal has this gift and it doesn't require ANY alteration.Some jackass photographer did a shoot with her a while back,and he tried to make her pout and snarl in a pretentious manner as if she needed phony poses to be alluring.Daniela looks lost and confused in these photos 'cause it's simply not in her to put on such an act.It's MORE than excellent enough to allow Daniela's natural,inner warmth to shine forth.Her Easy Smile is sufficient to brighten any day:) --even when there's crappy Wimbledon weather outside. --BG