PDA

View Full Version : "Toughest Player on Tour" = Justine? Nah, I don't think so....

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:52 PM
After seeing Serena standing up and continue playing even after injuring (or cramping) her leg, I think the real answer to the question is not Justine... but SERENA WILLIAMS. :worship: :worship: :worship:

Get better soon Serena... you still have a chance to win the match against Daniela Hantuchova :hug:

(P.S: I nearly cried when I heard Serena screaming in pain... yeah, I'm a guy, but I do get emotional!)

John.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:53 PM
:yeah:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:54 PM
And for a Justine fan to acknowledge that :worship::yeah:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:55 PM
Too true. No one would decide to play after such a painful injury, she could barely move and still continued the match :yeah:

Mercury Rising
Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:56 PM
:unsure: Justine did the same against Davenport in Australian Open :confused:

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:58 PM
I'm sorry, but I think the AO 2006 final alone proved that Justine isn't the toughest player on tour.

Serena has always held this title in my eyes, with Sharapova probably coming second.

Simplicity.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:59 PM
Too true. No one would decide to play after such a painful injury, she could barely move and still continued the match :yeah:

What about the guy that had to do it about 6 or 7 years ago with the 10 minute time out..before cramping was considered an injury. She lay theree for 10 minutes, imagine having to watch her try to play without that 10 minute breather.

Meeek
Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:59 PM
:bowdown:

strictennis
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:00 PM
I think she knows it was going to rain. So.. But she should have retire, in case she re-injures her leg. Then it would be no good.

cellophane
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:00 PM
Do we really need this thread? :confused:

Kudos to Serena, but really retiring would probably be more painful to her than playing through the pain.

Poova
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:01 PM
I'm sorry, but I think the AO 2006 final alone proved that Justine isn't the toughest player on tour.
:spit: Too true.

Serena is very admirable in this respect. She just refuses to give up. :bowdown:

goldenlox
Frank Deford said Justine is the toughest athlete in sports. Man or woman, any sport.
There are much worse things happening to athletes than cramps.

Kim's_fan_4ever
What about the guy that had to do it about 6 or 7 years ago with the 10 minute time out..before cramping was considered an injury. She lay theree for 10 minutes, imagine having to watch her try to play without that 10 minute breather.

Ok. What's the point you're trying to make? :confused:

Jean-Pierre.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:02 PM
Err no. That's called lack of fitness.

Slutiana
i dno...remember venus...at wasaw against matina h?

:inlove:
:bowdown: It always was Serena.

Highlandman
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:03 PM
Yeah, probably yes. Shows the Williams are fighters, Venus was in similar situation last year in Luxemburg against Radwanska.

goldenlox
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:05 PM
Serena could have retired or stood there until it rained.
NFL players go thru much worse as normal routine.

saki
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:06 PM
:unsure: Justine did the same against Davenport in Australian Open :confused:

And also against Capriati in the US Open SF in 2003.

I don't see why this has to be a contest, to be honest. Serena is a very tough player and I was very impressed with the way that she continued fighting today but so is Justine.

goldenlox
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:08 PM
It's a contest because Frank Deford called Justine the toughest athlete in sports, and Williams trolls can't handle other players getting praised.

VishaalMaria
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:10 PM
Serena has always and will always be the toughest. Look at the Miami 07 final.

ampers&
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:13 PM
Williams trolls can't handle other players getting praised.
The person who started this thread is a Justine fan. :weirdo: Is there something wrong with him having a new found respect for Serena? Instead of trying to place blame on "Williams fans" try reading the thread first. I'm about sick of you board-tards grouping Venus and Serena fans like that. We are all not the same. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Justine/Maria/Serena/Venus are all incredible fighters. Yes, Justine has disappointed in the past (like at the AO 2006) but there's no doubt she has an incredible amount of will and a fair amount of pride. There's no need to put down another player for the sake of hyping another.

.Andrew.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:15 PM
:worship:

Dexter
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:16 PM
She's showed how tough she is today.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:16 PM
:worship: you said it Mo

pigmalion
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:19 PM
She is a fighter, I've never doubted of that. But to compare her only with Justine is not relevant to me :shrug:

Natalicious
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:19 PM
The person who started this thread is a Justine fan. :weirdo: Is there something wrong with him having a new found respect for Serena? Instead of trying to place blame on "Williams fans" try reading the thread first. I'm about sick of you board-tards grouping Venus and Serena fans like that. We are all not the same. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Justine/Maria/Serena/Venus are all incredible fighters. Yes, Justine has disappointed in the past (like at the AO 2006) but there's no doubt she has an incredible amount of will and a fair amount of pride. There's no need to put down another player for the sake of hyping another.

goldenlox
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:20 PM
I'm about sick of you board-tards grouping Venus and Serena fans like that. We are all not the same. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Justine/Maria/Serena/Venus are all incredible fighters. Yes, Justine has disappointed in the past (like at the AO 2006) but there's no doubt she has an incredible amount of will and a fair amount of pride. There's no need to put down another player for the sake of hyping another.You're the one starting threads about Reetards vs Mashabators

anon57
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:22 PM
Kudos to Serena for continuing and I hope it's not too bad so that her choice to continue playing doesn't hurt the rest of her season

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:24 PM
I am not a fan of Serena but what she just showed was truly inspirationl! I know what it is like to have cramps and the way she played on was friggen amazing. This shouldn't have happened to anyone and I hope it was only a cramp! Hats off to her!!

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:25 PM
You're the one starting threads about Reetards vs Mashabators
What's your point? What she said still holds true.

goldenlox
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:27 PM
That's one of the people lumping fans together. Then gets upset when someone else does it.

PamShriverRockz
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:30 PM

I agree.

Serena :worship: :worship: :worship:

goldenlox
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:30 PM
I started the thread about Frank Deford calling Justine the toughest. Then Williams trolls were all over that thread.
It was about Justine being the toughest athlete in all sports. It had nothing to do with Williams.

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:31 PM
I started the thread about Frank Deford calling Justine the toughest. Then Williams trolls were all over that thread.
It was about Justine being the toughest athlete in all sports. It had nothing to do with Williams.
Who the fuck cares what Frank Deford says. Lots of people disagree with him.

goldenlox
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:32 PM
It's rare to see an article where a woman athlete is considered tougher than the toughest men.
That's why I posted it. I'm not a big Justine fan. I respect all the players.

jawadde
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:33 PM
respect for Serena. But calling her the toughest player because she had cramps :confused: Anyone would have played at least a few games. Or tried anyway.

Iceland
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:39 PM
I agree on the general message but I don't think this match could be used as an example.
Marion was badly injured against Akiko in Prague's final and couldn't move or return her serves. She cried during the whole match but didn't want to break Akiko's dream run by retiring. She lost 61 63.
Still, I will never say that she is the toughest player on tour.

cellophane
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:53 PM

Good god. :lol: :o Did she say the thread was started by a Serena fan?

And "Williams trolls" doesn't assume that Venus and Serena have the same fans or that they are all trolls. It's a refers to the portion of the fans of both who are trolls aka "Princess Ree Da Best". And coming from you it's funny, because you refer to retarded fans from different fanbases with names the same way, and you weren't joking. :lol:

Serval
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:55 PM
Serena is amazing.

rrfnpump
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:58 PM

Many players actually would try to play at least a few points, especially when they were winning when it happened. Shuai Peng played several games with a more severe injury, ALG played a game after her horrible injury against Sharapova in Moscow, then they quit. I am pretty sure Serena would have retired also had she lost the second set.

True, Serena is a great and true fighter, but dont make a goddess out of her.

woosey
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:04 PM
Many players actually would try to play at least a few points, especially when they were winning when it happened. Shuai Peng played several games with a more severe injury, ALG played a game after her horrible injury against Sharapova in Moscow, then they quit. I am pretty sure Serena would have retired also had she lost the second set.

you don't know that serena is already a goddess?

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:05 PM

I'm not making a goddess out of her, why would I? I'm not even a fan of hers :wavey:

cellophane
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:06 PM
And terms like "Reetard" and "Mashabator" don't necessarily refer to everyone who likes Serena/Maria either.

No, definitely not.

pancake
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:06 PM
Do we really have to choose only one toughest player on tour? Can't we just have few toughest players on tour? And to be honest just because the thread started by a non-Williams fans doesn't automatically make his/her point right.
I personally think this thread is so unnessary(sp?) because we all know who ARE the toughest playerS, but when it comes to choosing only one, we will never have a perfect answer because there's no fair comparison.
Having said that, I think S.Williams is very tough, though I think she might as well retire if she's in such pain.

jujufreak
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:07 PM
And also against Capriati in the US Open SF in 2003.

I don't see why this has to be a contest, to be honest. Serena is a very tough player and I was very impressed with the way that she continued fighting today but so is Justine.

I agree

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:39 PM
Langers just badrep me for starting this thread and called me "gay". :weirdo:

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:31 AM

Serena has always held this title in my eyes, with Sharapova probably coming second.

:worship::worship::worship:

Suresh
Jul 3rd, 2007, 06:07 AM
:worship: Serena :worship:

Also, Venus isn't too behind...

Wimbledon 2003 SF against Clijsters
Wimbledon 2003 F against Serena
Warsaw 2006 against Hingis
Luxembourg 2006 against Radwanska

not sure about 2000 US SF against Hingis...was she cramping there??

PatrickRyan
Jul 3rd, 2007, 06:28 AM
Im very surprised how Serena came back :worship: She's a true fighter and champion. :worship:

Kunal
Jul 3rd, 2007, 06:55 AM
word

SJW
Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:10 AM

Serena would have preferred to lose trying yesterday than to quit.
That makes me very proud.
Just shows what can happen if you're willing to put the effort in and complete the match.

Pasta-Na
Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:22 AM
shuai peng kept playing last year as well :p

fioredeliberi
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:22 AM
When Juju did that against other players she was accused of faking injury. But when serena does it, she is called a "warrior" and a "hero".
Please reseve such terms for the US soldiers killing terrorist in iraq.
I prefer "drama-queen" and "actress".

Apoorv
Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:03 AM
on a day in a given frame of mind, any player can be very tough. we dont know players who can be very tough mentally but are not talented. serena was saved by rain, she would have probably retired after tie brake. justine played 9 games in ao 2006 finals in pain. so we can not say who among them is tougher. what we can say is both are very tough and ferocious players.

DavidEllul
Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:04 AM
Do we really need this thread? :confused:

Kudos to Serena, but really retiring would probably be more painful to her than playing through the pain.

No we don't :p

Demska
Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:09 AM
Why does one have to be tougher than the other?

They're both very mentally tough.

Alizé Molik
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:09 PM
haha an elite athlete doubled over in pain at a cramp and then limping for the next 2 hours? I don't think that makes her the toughest player, the best actress maybe but not the toughest player.

jawadde
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:53 PM
Serena = dramaQueen