PDA

View Full Version : It's not easy being a Venus Williams fan until she lays a Wimbledon Smackdown

Rocketta
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:27 PM
sometimes....I'm just saying! :banghead:

on the competition.......then it's all Gravy and rainbows!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Rocketta
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:28 PM
Ok, it's a little better being her fan. :dance:

Well it's kind of great actually! :bounce:

Go Venus! :clap2:

Jasmin
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:29 PM
...it hasn't been fun for me but it's just a matter of changing the perspective. Things change and she's just not going to be the dominant force. She will always be my favorite.

mygirlV
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:29 PM
Tell me about it. I was just making a vow to quit getting so involved in Venus' matches. I am a nervous wreck:(

volta
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:30 PM
tell me about it :o

servenrichie
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:32 PM
Me too. I have been trying. I went to a meeting, I was nervours wreck, fidgeting and wondering what she was doing.
I came to see only the match point, with 42 errors and only 25 winners. Even Morigami made 23 winners against Venus.
What the heck is wrong with the girl?

nflatte
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:32 PM
I am not a Venus fan. But as I was watching the Morigami match, I was pulling off for Venus and let me tell you it was so nerve wrecking. You just don't know whether she's going to committ a UE in the next point.

Bijoux0021
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:35 PM
These days, it's not easy at all being Venus' fan. She's making us age faster than we're supposed to.

sammy01
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
I am not a Venus fan. But as I was watching the Morigami match, I was pulling off for Venus and let me tell you it was so nerve wrecking. You just don't know whether she's going to committ a UE in the next point.

im the same im not a fan but i like her and when she was playing today every point i was holding my breathe i swear if a rally had gone to 30 strokes id have passed out! :lol:

Paneru
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:38 PM
Venus says she enjoys the battle! :cool:
And anything worth having takes hard
work and determination. :)

I love being a Venus fan!!!!! :lol: :rocker:

Rocketta
I know, Vee has gray hairs popping out all over my head. :lol:

I need to learn how to 'Let Go & Let God' handle things were Venus is concerned. :angel:

Viktymise
Venus says she enjoys the battle! :cool:
And anything worth having takes hard
work and determination. :)

I love being a Venus fan!!!!! :lol: :rocker:

:scared: me too :p

tonythetiger
It's easy for me to be a fan, but it's torture seeing her struggle with lower ranked players. I dreamed about this freaking match all last night. Thanks to Vee I didn't get a wink of sleep. However, in my dream she won in a tie break in the second set. I just knew the rain delay would work to her advantage and she would win easily if they went to a third set. Venus loves drama!

venusdemilo
It's not easy, really it's not. What happened to that class action suit thread? :lol:

spokenword73
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:39 PM
Almost kicked my cat...it sure ain't easy a Vee fan, but it is so sweet when she wins. :wavey:

Pureracket
I'm absolutely sure Venus does this in order to drive me crazy.

mygirlV
"Gotta love her"

Chance
you can say that again!!

Aaron.
Venus fans unite :rocker2:

nikita771
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:40 PM
If nothing else, it's exciting. Being a Williams fan is like riding a roller coaster. Sometimes, you're waving your hands in air and screaming in delight. Other times, you're gripping your seat and feeling your stomach rise into your throat.

Apoleb
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:42 PM
Venus is like the new Dementieva.

Paneru
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:42 PM
If nothing else, it's exciting. Being a Williams fan is like riding a roller coaster. Sometimes, you're waving your hands in air and screaming in delight. Other times, you're gripping your seat and feeling your stomach rise into your throat.

ITA! :haha:

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:43 PM

OK!?! I love her and hate her all at the same time...but i love her tho lol

kiwifan
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:47 PM
Tell me about it. I was just making a vow to quit getting so involved in Venus' matches. I am a nervous wreck:(

You and me both :(

im the same im not a fan but i like her and when she was playing today every point i was holding my breathe i swear if a rally had gone to 30 strokes id have passed out! :lol:

At one point the announcer, in the states, said, "You can breathe now" and I realized that I wasn't breathing :weirdo: :o :tape:

It's not easy, really it's not. What happened to that class action suit thread? :lol:

That's the first thread I looked for but settled for posting here instead. ;)

"Gotta love her"

Venus fans, that is the bottom line!!! :cool:

Thanx4nothin
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:48 PM
Dear God that was hard/

V-MAC
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:48 PM
Never a dull moment being a Vee fan but I love it. :lol:

dreamgoddess099
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:50 PM
You can say that again. It's so frustrating watching someone with zero slams play with more confidence than someone with five slams. Venus really tortures herself and us. I thought once you reach a certain about of slams you're supposed to stop doubting yourself so much. She seems to doubt herself more now than she did before she won her first slam. I swear, I really miss the fire and ferocity of teenage Venus. I mean, the graceful lady Venus is very admirable, but she sucks as a tennis player.:lol:

winone23
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:51 PM
When it comes to Venus "I'm a ride or die" fan. It's not always easy, but it's so worth being a Venus fan.

Infiniti2001
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:52 PM
It's not easy (ask my cold feet and heart which was about to pop out of my chest), but I appreciate wins like this one more that the easy ones :haha:

Fidello
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:56 PM
It's not easy being a Venus Williams fan
The best thing for all of us is her retiring. Venus, please go away.

Rocketta
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:58 PM
Here's some truth for you......if I can I try to sleep through Venus' matches because I can't handle them too well anymore. :crazy:

Rocketta
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:59 PM
ignore the troll people. :rolleyes:

RunDown
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:59 PM
OK!?! I love her and hate her all at the same time...but i love her tho lol

:lol: My sentiments exactly.

Almost kicked my cat...it sure ain't easy a Vee fan, but it is so sweet when she wins. :wavey:

:yeah: Yep, as hard as it is being a Venus fan these days, it makes her victories (whenever they come :help: ) that much sweeter

Marshmallow
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:00 PM
OMG, understatement of the millenium. I could barely stand watching the match, i was so nervous my enitre body was weak. No energy at all. I was playing each point with Venus, i thought it was over when Venus was down 0-40 2-3, after missing those 4 break point chances. She recovered, then got down 5-3. I'm thinking of maybe suing Venus in future, because i will surely get a heart condition if this continues.

But she won in the end, so it was a good entertainment :tape:

soomaal
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:09 PM
Sometimes I don't want to but I can't help it. Venus is the sweetest drug and I will, even after a rollercoaster like last match, love her.

servenrichie
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:20 PM
The best thing for all of us is her retiring. Venus, please go away.
Perhaps it is time for you to retire, you must have pulled out all your hairs, when you heard winner "Miss Venus Williams":lol:

BrandClay
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:20 PM
OMG...Venus had my heart in my throat this morning. How can she play so well when she is down in the match. The match was very nerve racking for me. The postive from this match is that Venus won the important points and closed out the match. Throughout this entire year she has played good tennis in a match...but loses because she didn't play the big points well. GO VEE! Next is Maria...you can do it!

Infiniti2001
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:26 PM
at 3-5 I wanted to turn the shit off and walk away :o but I was like HELL NO !!!! You are the fucking Venus Williams. http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5305/angrynx5.gifBREAK her NOW :lol:

Vlover
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:27 PM
OMG! I've been trying also not to be so emotional but have to accept that I'm just a weak heart when it comes to her.:angel: Keep fighting Vee! I'll be with you to the end!:hearts: :kiss:

Bijoux0021
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:29 PM
OMG, understatement of the millenium. I could barely stand watching the match, i was so nervous my enitre body was weak. No energy at all. I was playing each point with Venus, i thought it was over when Venus was down 0-40 2-3, after missing those 4 break point chances. She recovered, then got down 5-3. I'm thinking of maybe suing Venus in future, because i will surely get a heart condition if this continues.
But she won in the end, so it was a good entertainment :tape:
Join this class action lawsuit before it's too late:

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=304350

vwfan
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:30 PM
I love European tournaments for this reason. You can go to sleep at night and wake up at a normal time and just go to the scoreboard to see. There are moments right before I check out the site that I am nervous as heck, but it is way better than being nervous for two hours.

Once she's won, I can seat back and enjoy the match without stress! :lol:

winone23
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:32 PM
at 3-5 I wanted to turn the shit off and walk away :o but I was like HELL NO !!!! You are the fucking Venus Williams. http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5305/angrynx5.gifBREAK her NOW :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

venus_rulez
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:50 PM
I just changed my myspace name to "Down to ride to the very end Venus!"

Larrybidd
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:56 PM
You can say that again. It's so frustrating watching someone with zero slams play with more confidence than someone with five slams. Venus really tortures herself and us. I thought once you reach a certain about of slams you're supposed to stop doubting yourself so much. She seems to doubt herself more now than she did before she won her first slam. I swear, I really miss the fire and ferocity of teenage Venus. I mean, the graceful lady Venus is very admirable, but she sucks as a tennis player.:lol:

OK, there's only so much of this I can take. Venus didn't play well by any stretch. But #1) Morigami played well..really well. As a matter of fact, the only game she didn't play well was the one where she served for the match, sadly for Aikiko. Morigami was very fast, played very smartly (she gave Venus's forehand a severe workout), and hit a nice hard flat ball, well suited for grass.

#2). Venus has played much worse. She held her serve together, for the most part, and most significantly was able to summon up her best serves for when she was in trouble. THAT IS THE MOST ENCOURAGING THING. The issue is not that Vee had bad patches, that will happen with Vee, its that she was able to raise her game when really necessary. When Vee is really playing badly, she goes downhill, and keeps rollin' down the hill.

Its really not that bad people. I don't know if Vee will beat Masha tomorow. But Vee's game is there, I saw it thru all the nervousness.

venus_rulez
Jul 2nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
^ YOu are exactly right her game is there. It has always been there through all the injuries and disappointing losses the issue is can she keep it up. I think that's what true Venus fans have always maintained why her story was different from a Hingis or any of the other "older" players who have struggled. It's still obvious that if Venus can put it all together again, she's still a force to be reckoned with. No one, can legitimately with a straight face, say she doesn't still have the game. I'll feel that way win or lose tomorrow.

ys
Jul 2nd, 2007, 02:32 PM
Not easy? I guess if you were a Elena D. fan, you'd already been dead or crazy or something then..

azinna
Jul 2nd, 2007, 02:56 PM
Just woke up. :yawn: You folks should try sleeping in and missing the match entirely. Much healthier lifestyle. Would add as many years to your life as switching to oatmeal for breakfast....

:yippee:Now off to do my exercises....:sport:

Radix2
Jul 2nd, 2007, 02:59 PM
It is hard. She sure takes us on a bumpy ride.

Rocketta
Jul 2nd, 2007, 03:18 PM
Just woke up. :yawn: You folks should try sleeping in and missing the match entirely. Much healthier lifestyle. Would add as many years to your life as switching to oatmeal for breakfast....

:yippee:Now off to do my exercises....:sport:

You just don't know how hard I try to do that. :lol:

"Topaz"
Jul 2nd, 2007, 03:20 PM
I need to learn how to 'Let Go & Let God' handle things where Venus is concerned. :angel:

Just try what I do: raise your shield, watch and don't let anything get to you. :cool:
A hooker told me something to that effect; granted I replaced the verb she used with "watch". BTW, I didn't have anything to do with her, of course. :tape:

nikita771
Jul 2nd, 2007, 03:26 PM
Just watched the replay of the last few games on NBC. I was alot more calm this go round:)

Calypso
Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:08 PM
Its tough on the heart being a Venus fan!

But in a way, the dramatic wins are so satisfying!
Although at times I just want a simple, routine win!

The problem with Venus is when she blows hot and cold.
You are left on the edge wondering whether she will hit
a double fault or a wild forehand error. Then she surprises
you by smacking monster serves and winners left, right and center!

She's either going to win a match in 45 minutes, or in three hours
saving matchpoints and causing a spike in cardiac arrests.

Maybe she gets bored with routine wins?;)

Calypso
Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:26 PM
At least she showed that she can dig deep, cut out the errors
and play her best tennis when in crisis!

Akiko came real close to victory, and a better serve could have
helped her at 2-6,6-3,*5-3.

At least Maria doesn't move as well as Akiko.
Yeah, Maria has a better serve and groundstrokes, but if Venus can keep the errors to a minimum, she can really exploit Maria's slower movement.

She has a real good chance to advance to the QFs!

Rocketta
Jul 7th, 2007, 03:37 PM
*bump* :bounce:

Pureracket
Jul 7th, 2007, 03:39 PM
LOL!!!!! Don't back track now, 'cketta.

volta
Jul 7th, 2007, 03:40 PM
:lol: at the title now

gotta agree though :lol:

Infiniti2001
Jul 7th, 2007, 03:40 PM
:haha: I must admit that I have been calm since after the 3rd rd when I saw the look on Vee's face at 3-5 in the 3rd. It was as if she'd had enough and was ready to play.

venus_rulez
Jul 7th, 2007, 03:41 PM
It may be hard sometimes, but you know what for those who stick with it, there's no greater or better ride in tennis :bounce:

Jasmin
Jul 7th, 2007, 03:44 PM
It is is hard on the heart like someone mention. Really, I see Venus and think she's one of the best or better than her opponents. Deep down you still see those gifts that she has although her results have been iffy elsewhere. You just don't know when they will emerge but it does make a win like this...a slam no doubt pretty amazing. No matter I will always be a V fan no matter how annoyed I may get with her results.

I still think Serena is the best but Venus is certainly the best on grass...always believed that.

sweetpeas
Jul 7th, 2007, 03:45 PM
It may be hard sometimes, but you know what for those who stick with it, there's no greater or better ride in tennis

So true?The money we spend?Buying all of Venus and Serena product.Money money money.Always look at my Dolls.

Paneru
Jul 7th, 2007, 03:46 PM
A real fan sticks through thick and thin!

Crushing lows and utterly amazing highs! :hug:

Tennisaddict
Jul 7th, 2007, 03:48 PM
It´s not easy at times when she loses matches she´s supposed to win. But I can´t help being her fan because she´s just amazing at full flight. And now she has more than rewarded all Venus fans today big time. Even if she had not won I still would be proud of her run in the tournament. Venus Williams 6 times slam champion :bounce: This is so sweet she is ahead of Hingis and tied with Justine now.

catkey94
Jul 7th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I agree with what has been said in this thread. With Venus my head tells me that she should be winning a match, but sometimes I cannot stand to watch because she likes to play those close matches that come down to the wire. I am so happy that she won Wimbledon today!

starin
Jul 7th, 2007, 03:54 PM
It´s not easy at times when she loses matches she´s supposed to win. But I can´t help being her fan because she´s just amazing at full flight. And now she has more than rewarded all Venus fans today big time. Even if she had not won I still would be proud of her run in the tournament. Venus Williams 6 times slam champion :bounce: This is so sweet she is ahead of Hingis and tied with Justine now.

yup. its hard but Venus fans know how good she is, its just hard to watch when she's playing so below her level against certain opponents....cough sharapova.....cough cough jankovic.
But she always had the talent it was just a matter of when it would shine.

azinna
Jul 7th, 2007, 04:02 PM
What makes it most hard is watching her play nonsense when you know she can do all this..... But like another poster said, It's the best ride in tennis.

Vlover
Jul 7th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I think we tend to expect too much from her too soon after devastating injuries. Remember she had suffered ab injury and wrist surgery and these injuries adversely affect your game therefore she basically had to start from scratch plus she is older now.

Anyway I'm just enjoying every victory to the max and praying for a healthy season because if she remains healthy I have no doubt she will win again.

Viktymise
Jul 7th, 2007, 04:04 PM
:crazy:

hablo
Jul 7th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Congrats to Venus and her fans for sticking by her. :hatoff:

Unfortunately I've run out of goodreps to spread. :rolleyes::lol:

So now she equals Justine's amount and passes Hingis. Nice for you!!! :bowdown:

Sylwiiia
Jul 7th, 2007, 04:09 PM
It is hard to be Venus fan at time but if she is in form and playing good there is nothing more great.

Vlover
Jul 7th, 2007, 04:10 PM
[QUOTE=azinna;11157585]What makes it most hard is watching her play nonsense when you know she can do all this.....

Your statement reminds me of Richard. You can tell he gets very frustrated too because one day he's saying she should retire then the next he's saying she's going to win.:help: If we can feel this way, then you can just imagine what the family goes through.:lol:

kiwifan
Jul 7th, 2007, 04:12 PM
good times. :cool:

:dance:"these are the good times!!!":dance:

Ben.
Jul 7th, 2007, 04:12 PM
It feels good to be a Venus fan, even if she is injured or in poor form I always still believed in her :D Its not easy but its worth it :)

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 7th, 2007, 04:36 PM

on the competition.......then it's all Gravy and rainbows!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

i know thats right !!!!!! :lol: well yall have always heard me fussing Venus out when she plays poorly..because I KNOW how well the girl can play...yall have also always heard me say that when she is at her best that NOBODY can beat her....Venus is the total package...she has the power of Serena, the speed of Henin and the Volleys of Mauresmo. Her downfall was always her confidence and consistency putting it all together in one big game. All of those girls I mentioned do not have all of that in one like Venus does. To me Venus will always be #1 and Serena a very close #2...at their best...I will go to the grave on that!

¤CharlDa¤
Jul 7th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I was unlucky enough *lol* to be in the stands for her first and third round matches, and believe I was just about to die. I was standing up on court 2, just yelling, shaking, sweating and crying.

But in the end, just the idea that I saw Venus play live (for the first time) at a Wimbledon where she went on the win the title, it's just so special, and I'll never forget it.

I was working this morning, giving tennis lessons. I asked my mom to call the club to tell me the result. When she did, I was just almost crying and trying to hit some balls to my 6-year-olds and it was just too much. Everyone around thought I was a freak ;)

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Jul 7th, 2007, 06:12 PM
It is definitely always sweet after Venus wins. Shoot, I feel like I was in her shoes sometimes. Whenever she lost, I would feel lost. I'm just so glad that she won!! Congrats Venus!

Sir Stefwhit
Aug 6th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Funny in the very first two years of her career i was a fan but w.all the lumping of her w.serena it turned me off of a Venus. Then throughout most of her career she was just some player. I never rooted against her but i can hardly say i was a fan.

But these days i actually find myself cheering her on. I guess now that she's in the twilight of her career and now that she's the ultimate under-dog i cant help but cheer for her. I would love to see her make one more last run at a major and finally cheer for her this time around.