PDA

View Full Version : Please help save the tournament at Eastbourne by signing this petition

zam
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:12 PM
I don't know how many of you are aware that the International Tennis Tournament in Eastbourne is threatened with being relocated to London in 2009. This would be a travesty - the grass courts are deemed to be the best in the UK, the location is idyllic and the atmosphere for both players and spectators is renown for being extremely relaxed. The reason for the proposed relocation of the tournament comes down to commercial pressures from the LTA who feel it would be easier to get a sponsor in London (and for them to charge higher ticket prices) and the focus on the city in the run up to the 2012 Olympics. It does not seem to matter that all the greats, past and present players have seen Eastbourne as the ideal location for fine-tuning their game prior to Wimbledon - profit seems to be the only motivation for the LTA's proposed decision (and this from an organisation that recieves £25 million plus as a result of Wimbledon each year). A petition has been set up to try to ensure the future of the tournament and I would be extrememly grateful if you could find two minutes of your time to sign it. It is at:

http://www.petitiononline.com/saveebo/petition.html

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

goldenlox
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:15 PM
They need a sponsor, they lost a ton of money even with huge crowds.

stefi62
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:20 PM
I've signed!

cindy
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:20 PM
I signed it zam! 57 signature they said...hope it will help!

mckyle.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:22 PM
how do we know it isn't just a bunch of people using different names :shrug:

zam
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:24 PM
They lost approximately £650,000. The LTA seems to have given up trying to find a sponsor and deemed it necessary to move the tournament to London because of the town's image, despite the tournament being the most successful ever this year.

mandy7
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:25 PM
eastbourne is boooooooooooooooooooring

zam
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:26 PM
I know a fair few of the signatories if that helps, and you have to give an email address which limits the number of times you can sign to once. Thanks for signing cindy.

zam
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:28 PM
It might be boring but it is one of the few places Daniela has got into a final!

Petkorazzi
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:30 PM
I Signed and I was #54

zam
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks - it is much appreciated.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
signed :D

mandy7
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
It might be boring but it is one of the few places Daniela has got into a final!

she reached the semi at rosmalen this year and i was plenty happy with that
seing as i got to see her play

and the crowd at eastbourne is old, scary white and ugly

dav abu
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
please don't let this happen. I attended the quarter finals and final this year and had an absolutely fantastic time. It is such a lovely intimate venue. Having attended the last two Wimbledons and French Open I have seen my fair share of tennis over the last couple of years but the day of the ladies final at Eastbourne was as good a day as I have ever had at a tennis match. The atmosphere was fantastic from real tennis fans-actually I would have to say that the day of the final the crowd beat anything I've experienced on the show courts at Wimbledon. Please save Eastbourne!

dav abu
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:38 PM
Entitled to your opinion Mandy7 but have you attended Eastbourne and what other tennis tournaments have you been to that you can compare it to?

merda2004
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:39 PM
I don't know how many of you are aware that the International Tennis Tournament in Eastbourne is threatened with being relocated to London in 2009. This would be a travesty - the grass courts are deemed to be the best in the UK, the location is idyllic and the atmosphere for both players and spectators is renown for being extremely relaxed. The reason for the proposed relocation of the tournament comes down to commercial pressures from the LTA who feel it would be easier to get a sponsor in London (and for them to charge higher ticket prices) and the focus on the city in the run up to the 2012 Olympics. It does not seem to matter that all the greats, past and present players have seen Eastbourne as the ideal location for fine-tuning their game prior to Wimbledon - profit seems to be the only motivation for the LTA's proposed decision (and this from an organisation that recieves £25 million plus as a result of Wimbledon each year). A petition has been set up to try to ensure the future of the tournament and I would be extrememly grateful if you could find two minutes of your time to sign it. It is at:

http://www.petitiononline.com/saveebo/petition.html

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

DONE

mandy7
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:41 PM
Entitled to your opinion Mandy7 but have you attended Eastbourne and what other tennis tournaments have you been to that you can compare it to?
i have not attended it
but my friend has, she agreed
and it's obvious from what you see on tv
lot of gray hair

i've been to Rotterdam, Rosmalen, Antwerp and Hasselt myself
oh, and the Oz Open and Hopman cup :D

dav abu
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:46 PM
wasn't being smart Mandy7 just wanted to know where your opinion came from. Well from my experience the crowd was a good mix but yeah with plenty grey hair but what is wrong with that?! Even just listening to people sitting around me or when waiting for autographs I noticed how knowledgeable they were. I commented on it several times to my friends. You can be at Wimbledon and Serena walks past and you get people going "is that Venus?" etc Eastbourne is in a lovely location, with a really good centre court and nice surroundings-I hope it survives.

zam
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:55 PM
I agree completely - why shouldn't older people enjoy tennis just as much as younger people?

PamShriverRockz
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:57 PM
Aww that would be such a shame if Eastbourne lost the tournament! Besides, London already has everything.

I've been to Eastbourne and had a great time, it's a really enjoyable tournament.

dav abu
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:19 PM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z28/rantie_27/IMAG0023.jpg
this was my view at the Ladies Final. My ticket cost £12.50 cause it was a partial view ticket but my view was fine. Move it up to London and I somehow doubt that people will have the chance to watch a final (or indeed any other match) for such a small amount.

Poova
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:21 PM
Signed. I'm #64. ;)

zam
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks everyone so far for your help

zam
Jul 2nd, 2007, 03:16 PM
We are up to 72 signatories already!

strike86
Jul 2nd, 2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks for sticking this on the forum Zam, hi I am the founder of the facebook group (though not the petition). Lets get plenty of signatures on there, oh and if you are on facebook feel free to join the group.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2382464376

zam
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:26 AM
Nearly up to 100 - thanks everyone who has signed up so far

ASV_FAN
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:29 AM
I'd prefer to see the tournament moved to be honest. Granted there was a very exciting final this year but normally I find the tournament dull and none of the top players seem to attend. It's the main warm-up tourney for Wimby and it should be played on a grander scale so personally I think a move to the capital would make perfect sense.

John.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:33 AM
Done

A_S
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:34 AM
why does london have to have everything, if they move it, it SHOULD NOT go to london..... London already has wimbledon for christ sake. Its typical eliteism by the LTA....

zam
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:50 AM
It used to be on a much grander scale - when it was a 64 draw and had no other tournament competing for players in the same week. Whatever happened the same constrants of a 28 draw and rival tournament would remain, only the location would be London, and prices would be akin to those of Queens (£72 compared with £29 for a final's ticket). Re the players - there would have been 3 of the top 5 bar Kuznetsova's late withdrawal through injury, and the final was a repeat of the Wimbledon final last year. Obviously its position in the calendar has never helped - the week before a Grand Slam - and that too would not change with a proposed move to London.