PDA

View Full Version : Whose fans have suffered the most heartache?

tennisbear7
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:11 AM
Is it Kim Clijsters, losing so many slam finals to Justine?

Is it JCapriati (think 1991, 2003, 2004 US Open Semifinal losses)?

Is it Davenport (2005 Wimbledon Final :cry: )?

Is it Sabatini, who reached an amazing amount of SFs and only managed to win one GS?

Is it Amelie Mauresmo, the perennial choker who couldn't play big from the QFs on (until last year that is ;))

Venus? Losing to her sister on so many big situations...

Or others?

For me, it's Davenport. Yes yes yes I know that she has achieved so much, but that 2005 Wimbledon title would have been fantastic.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:14 AM
Davenport :sad:

goldenlox
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:16 AM
I don't see any heartache there. Try rooting for 10k player who is broke.

tennisbear7
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:18 AM
The sad fact is that those players don't have many fans.

ktwtennis
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:19 AM
It's Seles fans...the stabbing, then Dad dying, then fitness issues like crazy...

Dave.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:21 AM
I don't know. I mean I am a huge Lindsay fan and there have been alot of ups and downs.

I am a big fan of Monica aswell and (while I didn't witness it when it happened) it still pains when I think of the stabbing and what Monica should have gone on to achieve.

mei62
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:26 AM
As a Hingis fan, I just about lost interest in tennis when she retired for 3 years. Not to mention the French Open finals 1999 & even 1997.

Saying that, it probably doesn't even compare to what Seles fans had to endure with the stabbing, etc.

hurricanejeanne
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:37 AM
Lindsay :sad: she could win everything but that fourth slam.

Monica, just went through so much when her career was at it's peak, she never really recovered from that.

Alizé Molik
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:56 AM
Dokic - I keep telling myself to stop supporting her but I just can't stop loving her!

heytennis
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:57 AM
I would say maybe people like Hantuchova, Kuznetsova and Dementieva.

Each of them have had huge ups and downs.

GrandSlam05
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:59 AM
I can only speak for myself in saying that is has been tough being a Lindsay fan. But all in all she had a great career for someone who is a great ball striker but not very athletic.
Capriati tough too, but those tough losses in the USO semis are kind of made up for by the fact that she 1) won a REALLY tight french open final, and 2) won her 2nd AO title fighting off 4 match points. So all in all she lost some tight matches at slams, but won some too. :shrug:
For Clijsters fans I guess I feel sorry, but Justine was just the better player, period. :shrug:
As for Momo, yeah she choked sometimes, but sometimes they would call it a "choke" when actually her opponent just came up with the goods and there wasn't anything Momo could do. :shrug:

roelc
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:00 AM
kim has lost some important finals, but all those injuries were worse!

but I guess what monica had to go through was almost surreal

hdfb
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:03 AM
For me, Dokic by far! Others don't come close except Lucic.

In regards to painful losses and such, Kim Clijsters and Dementieva. Kim could have gotten more than 1 GS, and well, Dementieva should have got the US Open in my opinion, but oh well.

tucker1989
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:06 AM
I agree with Dokic. The line call at the 2006 Australian Open was just the icing on the cake; it made what could have been a turn for the better a turn for the worse.

Rolling-Thunder
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:14 AM
Seles because it was something completely out of her hands. With other players, they had a 50/50 chance to win their matches. But Seles had her career aborted by some nutcase.

partbrit
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:19 AM
As a Schnder fan, I think we have suffered a whole lot of heartache because of her chronic under-achieving. I was also a Davenport fan, and that scores very big in the heartache department, too.

Lucky me--Amelie is my favorite player, but after last year, I felt a whole lot better.

DomenicDemaria
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:54 AM
Everytime Mary starts playing well again she gets injured including that terrible knee injury last year :sad:
Alicia's ear infection really ruined her singles career and she will never be the same player again. :sad:

Derek.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 02:01 AM
Is it Kim Clijsters, losing so many slam finals to Justine?

Is it JCapriati (think 1991, 2003, 2004 US Open Semifinal losses)?

Is it Davenport (2005 Wimbledon Final :cry: )?

Is it Sabatini, who reached an amazing amount of SFs and only managed to win one GS?

Is it Amelie Mauresmo, the perennial choker who couldn't play big from the QFs on (until last year that is ;))

Venus? Losing to her sister on so many big situations...

Or others?

For me, it's Davenport. Yes yes yes I know that she has achieved so much, but that 2005 Wimbledon title would have been fantastic.

All of those players have had extremely successful careers.

What's so heartbreaking? :shrug:

Because they didn't dominate and win every single tournamnet?

akosiirwyn
Jul 2nd, 2007, 02:20 AM
Everytime Mary starts playing well again she gets injured including that terrible knee injury last year :sad:
Alicia's ear infection really ruined her singles career and she will never be the same player again. :sad:

yes, i believe alicia could've achieved so much more.

AlonsoFx
Jul 2nd, 2007, 03:12 AM
molik's :sad: i agree...

seles's as well

njnetswill
Jul 2nd, 2007, 03:38 AM
Karolina Sprem. :lol:

lecciones
Jul 2nd, 2007, 03:52 AM
Martina's 7 runner up appearances.

2000,2001,2002 Australian Open
1997,1999 French Open
1998,1999 US Open

All of them heartbreaking.

and her 3 years off the game, heartbreaking as well.

tennisbear7
Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:06 AM
Oh yeah, Molik...

Dokic, Seles and Lucic :'(

piercerocks
Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:29 AM
lindsay and mary.. things could have went so much different for them!

PamShriverRockz
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:58 AM
Us Arantxa fans have had plenty of hearbreak. All those lost Grand Slam finals.....especially Wimbledon 95 :sad:

Mary too, with all her injuries :sad:

Pasta-Na
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:42 AM
lindsay, want her to win FO :p

Andy.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:44 AM
I don't see any heartache there. Try rooting for 10k player who is broke.
Yeah but how many people actually do that, what is the point you would never see them play

Calypso
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:45 AM
Venus, losing to her sister in the FIVE Grand Slam Finals
she lost from 2002-2003, four of them in SUCCESSION:sad:.

Well, at least she experienced first-hand the Serena Slam:tape:!
Yes, she was injured for the '03 Wimbledon final but I felt sad that she could not win at least one of the other 4 she lost.

Serena was too good at the 2002 Wimbledon and US Open finals, but I felt Venus could have taken either the 2002 RG or maybe more realistically, the close match that was the 2003 A.O finals.

Heart breaking to lose so many Slam finals to the same person, even if it is to your own sister!

guycan
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:51 AM
Mary Pierce...too many injuries!!!! And now the speculation from Sven Groeneveld that she may not return to the WTA makes it more agonizing.

Calypso
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:54 AM
But none of this compares to what Monica had to got through,
denied the chance to become the greatest of all time by a mad man:sad: .

John.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:32 AM
Fans of any player have all gone through their fair share of ups and downs for different reasons.

I am a huge Lindsay fan, but I feel bad for all the other players mentioned also.

Thanx4nothin
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:05 AM
Serena fans....having to put up with her taking 8 month segments off all the time. Venus fans for watching her lose to players shes better than.

Viktymise
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:08 AM
How can players who have already won slams, been number 1, had lots of success cause people heartbreak :tape:

No Name Face
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:55 AM
Dementieva fans :rain:
Can I get an amen!?

How can players who have already won slams, been number 1, had lots of success cause people heartbreak :tape:

i TOTALLY agree 100%
our girl beats the players who wins slams (minus serena) and yet can't manage to actually win one herself. :sad:

saint2
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:00 AM
Well, I 've never followed Kim/Venus/Linsday or Amelie, so I dont know how is to be their fans...But every single match of Dementieva or Hantuchova cause me a heartache...:lol: ;) Its really hard to be their fans...

switz
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:05 AM
i've suffered more than anyone in the world with these 3 favourite players

1) Schnyder
2) Rubin
3) Pierce

:o

PamShriverRockz
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:08 AM

Of course they can! I had to endure Arantxa losing looooooooooooooong close finals. Wimby 95, French Open 96...

merda2004
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:12 AM
davenport!
dementieva for losing to myskina in the french open final.
kim for losing also in the finals of gran slams.
jelena j. for losing her temper and losing to justine in the us open semi finals (if i am not wrong)
and of course daniilidou for losing her matches. for her its not just a heartache its a headache!!!

Viktymise
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:12 AM
Of course they can! I had to endure Arantxa losing looooooooooooooong close finals. Wimby 95, French Open 96...

So you think someone who is a fan of ASV has had more heartbreak than a fan of say Dementieva who has yet to win a slam but has been in finals, has the talent to do it and lost some really tight matches in slams. ASV has won slams, has been number 1, some people are just greedy :o

PamShriverRockz
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:14 AM
So you think someone who is a fan of ASV has had more heartbreak than a fan of say Dementieva who has yet to win a slam but has been in finals, has the talent to do it and lost some really tight matches in slams. ASV has won slams, has been number 1, some people are just greedy :o

Oh pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease! I never said I'd suffered the most. I was just saying I have suffered a lot of heartbreak watching ASV over the years because she lost so many finals. I wanted to say that fans of the top players can still suffer! Of course other fans have suffered more! Please read my post properly before you accuse me of being greedy.

cartmancop
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:18 AM
I don't think much can compare to the personal woes faced by Seles, which hindered her ability at a time when she could have dominated.

Also, Mary, who became injured just as she began to gain momentum it seems...

A name that came to mind when I first read the title was Novotna, the close calls that she seemed to lose ALL of had to be wrenching for fans, though she did finally get a Wimbledon :)

Just Do It
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:18 AM
Dokic - I keep telling myself to stop supporting her but I just can't stop loving her!

It is the same here :sobbing:

auntie janie
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:22 AM
Monica's fans had to suffer for 2 1/2 years, wondering if or when she would ever come back, hearing practically nothing in that whole time. I remember it well. :sobbing:

Corina Morariu's fans suffered terribly when she almost died in the hospital while being treated for leukemia. :sobbing:

Erratic play, frequent injuries, bad losses, and failure to play cannot compare to these heartaches.

cartmancop
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:23 AM
Then there's a couple that I agree would be suitable to called a headache instead of heartache :lol:

Sprem ;) She was revered by some as THE player of the future to fear, blasting winners from everywhere. Many questioned her ability to sustain such play & they were right...

Schnyder-few players are a bigger enigma to me. The talent is there for sure but I'm pretty sure that if I was a true fan like I am with Vee, etc. that patty would have be beating my head against a wall in frustration...