PDA

View Full Version : Euro Slams need night play

SV_Fan
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:16 PM
I think the French Open needs lights instead of playing all matches in the day. And for wimbly they need to have night play to make up for all these matches, plus I think that alot of people would prefer to see night matches between players. Like you could have Granville and Krajckic in the morning and Williams and Hantchova at night matches based on popularity.

The rain is making the slams boring this year not to mention that the only slam that has a retractble roof is Australia and they don't even need it to be honest. Judging from last year the U.S. France and Wimbledon could use retractable roofs, and buy hawk-eye later.

I know all these things are tradition but Im saying the French needs lights for real though. But I have noticed the Euro slams have been slow to pick up on the lastest in tennis. Like Hawk-eye etc.

This is my opinion other might agree or disagree but this how I feel.

Anna F'd Enrique
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:18 PM
I don't think that is possible on grass. Isn't there dew formation and stuff....

#1SteffiGraf#1
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:18 PM
I agree with what you say, but the Slams arent "boring". Could they be better? Absolutely. Id really love to see Wimbledon at night!!! So cool :)

#1SteffiGraf#1
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:21 PM
Plus, dont forget the roof! Nightplay may be possible at Wimby with a roof??? :)

-Sonic-
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:27 PM
I totally disagree.

-Sonic-
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:29 PM
I know all these things are tradition but Im saying the French needs lights for real though. But I have noticed the Euro slams have been slow to pick up on the lastest in tennis. Like Hawk-eye etc.

This bit I especially see as a loada bull.

Clay = doesn't need hawkeye.
Wimbledon = has used it for years and years (before the USO) in television but didn't want to employ it for players until they were happy that it was accurate enough, not because they're behind the times.

heytennis
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:32 PM
Night matches at Wimbledon would be way too dangerous. Bad idea.

Conor
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:34 PM
No way! It would be borin if all the slams had floodlights...

Matt01
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:35 PM
Euro Slams don't need night play.

And IMO the WTA tour also doesn't need tournaments like IW, Miami or (soon) Madrid where the Ladies' tennis is only considered as second quality.

SV_Fan
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:35 PM
This bit I especially see as a loada bull.

Clay = doesn't need hawkeye.
Wimbledon = has used it for years and years (before the USO) in television but didn't want to employ it for players until they were happy that it was accurate enough, not because they're behind the times.

Okay Im so sorry for posting something like that. I do rember the players would point out where the ball was. Night play would be real beautiful at Paris with the Eiffiel tower all the lights.

GoDominique
Jul 1st, 2007, 10:20 PM
And WTAWorld needs less idiots.

Sadly, neither is going to happen.

sharapovarulz1
Jul 1st, 2007, 10:25 PM
And WTAWorld needs less idiots.

Sadly, neither is going to happen.

:lol: :lol:

Wannabeknowitall
Jul 1st, 2007, 10:34 PM
I would like to see lights on the Euro slams.
I would not like to see night play.

I do think it's neccessary to play into the night sometimes for a few matches at the lastest 10-10:30.
I would have liked to have seen the Henman/Moya match played into the night.

The thing is the grass that Wimbledon uses has a tendency to die faster under floodlights.
So night play would be difficult and dew does start to build on the courts later into the night.

I would also like to see floodlights at the French Open for playing into the night.
I just don't feel there should be matches specifically scheduled for night play.

Viktymise
Jul 1st, 2007, 10:51 PM
Can't play on grass in he night because it gets wet :wavey:

Thanx4nothin
Jul 1st, 2007, 11:16 PM
The thought of Baltacha vs Keothavong at 11pm is a nightmare....

#1SteffiGraf#1
Jul 1st, 2007, 11:27 PM
The night-matches the US Open are 2x the TV ratings of day matches. The atmosphere is electric. Not sure how that translates to Wimby or Frenchy...but in the US, night-matches are extremely popular.

And if they played nightmatches in europe, they could just use centrecourt if they want. Unlike the US, where they use a few courts at night.

shibster
Jul 1st, 2007, 11:30 PM
but of course, the US holds what the world needs to emulate.

supergrunt
Jul 1st, 2007, 11:31 PM
I like night matches. I think they would work good at the French Open. At Wimbledon, they wouldn't work(for reasons explained by previous posters) .There is nothing better than an intense match under the lights like in Melbourne or New York :bounce: !