PDA

View Full Version : Ok, why the hell are they not playing today?

Reuchlin
Jul 1st, 2007, 04:53 PM
It's rained all week, it's supposed to rain all of next week, WTH are they not playing on the only sunny day of the week? :tape: :tape: :tape: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sefo
Jul 1st, 2007, 04:54 PM
Because they're brits.

John.
Jul 1st, 2007, 04:55 PM
Stupid tradition. They really need to get with the times

ViennaCalling
Jul 1st, 2007, 04:56 PM
I give you a T
I give you a R
I give you a A
I give you a D
I give you a I
I give you a T
I give you a I
I give you a O
I give you a N

Thread # 349034094 @ this topic :yawn:

gentle
Jul 1st, 2007, 04:57 PM
Umm, yep maybe beause we are brits... and it is part of the tradition! Maybe to give everyone who is working at the tournament a day off!? But with the back log of matches, it was not a good idea to not have 'peoples Sunday'

volta
Jul 1st, 2007, 04:57 PM
I give you a T
I give you a R
I give you a A
I give you a D
I give you a I
I give you a T
I give you a I
I give you a O
I give you a N

Thread # 349034094 @ this topic :yawn:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Craigy
Jul 1st, 2007, 04:58 PM
Because they're brits.

:weirdo: No, not because they're Brits. It's because Wimbledon is all about tradition which has already been said.

Donny
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:00 PM
Back when Wimbledon started, Sunday was the only "real" weekend day for workers. Most people worked all Staurday during that time. Showing that they could take an enitre Sunday off, and resuming during the week, showed that work wasn't really important to them. At least, that's why I think it started.

Same with the all white rule, and the banning of professionals- as well as still insisting as referring to female players as "Miss". Stupid, stupid traditions.

beecharmer
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:02 PM
Because Wimbledon is the last British institution that does what it feels is right, instead of listening to a public who vote a Labour Government in....

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:04 PM
I love Wimbledon tradition cause it makes them unique but in a case like this with a whole day to make up they should play today cause if God forbid it rains all of monday as well then they'd have two days of play to make up

GoDominique
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:08 PM
Tuesday and Thursday had no rain at all, idiot.

gentle
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:09 PM
Because Wimbledon is the last British institution that does what it feels is right, instead of listening to a public who vote a Labour Government in....

eh???:confused:

Natasc
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:16 PM
okay so....

I bet that tomorrow will rain....how would we call that?
"divine justice"?? :lol:

just kidding...

Nihil
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:19 PM
i as a working man would really have enjoyed watching a lot of tennis today :(

beecharmer
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:20 PM
eh???:confused:

Sweetness, "you know they're no good"

Reuchlin
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:22 PM
Tuesday and Thursday had no rain at all, idiot.

Oh wow, two days to finish over a week's worth of play....what an ideal situation!

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:38 PM
Actually the tournament is not that far behind schedule. It is not that big a deal. Play on the 1st Sunday is a last resort kind of thing and with the schedule only a day or so behind schedule with plenty of time to catch up the situation is far from serious.

Wintermute
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:45 PM
There was a statement on the Wimby website from the CEO saying they were sufficiently on schedule that play on Sunday wasn't necessary.

And I always thought there were two reasons why the AELTC doesn't have play on Sunday:
1) They would have to pay all staff double-time which would cost them a fortune (not that should mind considering they make millions every year and I think it's pretty much minimum wage for the more menial jobs).
2) They allow a day to tend the grass and help it recover from having people running on it all week.

anon57
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:46 PM
Actually the tournament is not that far behind schedule. It is not that big a deal. Play on the 1st Sunday is a last resort kind of thing and with the schedule only a day or so behind schedule with plenty of time to catch up the situation is far from serious.

The one day behind wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't for the fact that rain/showers are being predicted untill wednesday. So be mid next week they might be even more behind schedule. So getting the delayed matches in today wouldn't have been a bad idea imo

Natasc
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:50 PM
The one day behind wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't for the fact that rain/showers are being predicted untill wednesday. So be mid next week they might be even more behind schedule. So getting the delayed matches in today wouldn't have been a bad idea imo

exaclty..
Okay that they're not that behind, but then you have to think about the weather on this week
wouldn't be a big problem if this week was going to be all sunny....but it's not what is going to be

So tell me, let's talk about and may happen:
If Vee match do not finish tomorrow....she may would have to play 2 matches in one day?
in a GS..isn't that a litle bit too much?

so yeah...I saw they have a problem....better start to pray for a sunny week

Jameka, Forever!
Jul 1st, 2007, 06:42 PM
Umm, yep maybe beause we are brits... and it is part of the tradition! Maybe to give everyone who is working at the tournament a day off!? But with the back log of matches, it was not a good idea to not have 'peoples Sunday'

The British Empire has taken the last century off. It's tradition too.

Dexter
Jul 1st, 2007, 06:59 PM
Take a chill-pill.

Craigy
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:05 PM
Take a chill-pill.

:rolls:

Rachel_
Jul 1st, 2007, 08:05 PM
the mens final is played on a Sunday so same things apply....n the grass gets enough rest as it rains half the time anyway.

I think yeh 1st sunday off if forecast good otherwise its stupid.

#1SteffiGraf#1
Jul 1st, 2007, 08:12 PM
I guess I might be the only person who likes Middle Sunday off. The first week is so great, it kind of burns me out. The off Sunday is a nice little break to me :)

gentle
Jul 1st, 2007, 08:26 PM
The British Empire has taken the last century off. It's tradition too.

Thats not technically true.. there was still an empire until 1947 or so!

The rest were colonies! taking chill pill as we speak!:tape:

IAM#1
Jul 1st, 2007, 08:26 PM
yes.. but venus will play about 4 matches in 3 days.. double, singles tomorrow, qtr finals tuesday possible double tomorrow.. THAT SUCKS!!!!

drake3781
Jul 1st, 2007, 08:44 PM
Because there is a stated schedule agreed and published in advance, with an off-day, and there is no serious reason to deviate from it.

You think the matches will not be completed? :confused:

heytennis
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:39 PM
yes.. but venus will play about 4 matches in 3 days.. double, singles tomorrow, qtr finals tuesday possible double tomorrow.. THAT SUCKS!!!!

I don't really understand your post but many doubles players have to play singles on the same day. It was her choice to play doubles.

Venus will probably play 3rd round tomorrow and then 4th round Tuesday, no idea when doubles is scheduled.

darrinbaker00
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:03 AM
It rained last year, and the tournament finished on schedule. It rained in 2005, and the tournament finished on schedule. It rained in 2004, and the tournament finished on schedule. There's nothing to worry about, boys and girls. ;)

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:23 AM
exaclty..
Okay that they're not that behind, but then you have to think about the weather on this week
wouldn't be a big problem if this week was going to be all sunny....but it's not what is going to be

So tell me, let's talk about and may happen:
If Vee match do not finish tomorrow....she may would have to play 2 matches in one day?
in a GS..isn't that a litle bit too much?

so yeah...I saw they have a problem....better start to pray for a sunny week

The forcast for tomorrow suggests there might be a bit of rain. But it certainly won't be a washout. Don't worry Venus will finish her match.

mykarma
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:12 AM
Take a chill-pill.
:lol::lol:

Reuchlin
Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:50 PM
bump! Told you so!