PDA

View Full Version : Provisional 2009 WTA Tour Calendar

predrag
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:49 PM
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/travelblogue/2007/06/following-the-g.html

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/1607/20070628wtacalendarblogjb1.jpg

mr_burns
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:53 PM
what the hell??? stuttgart in april...is it indoors....

Flightspeed
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:54 PM
what the hell??? stuttgart in april...is it indoors....

yes it will stay indoors

Rik.
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:56 PM
:eek:

Slumpsova
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:00 PM
yes it will stay indoors
who wants to play indoor during clay season? :o :rolleyes:

The Daviator
yes it will stay indoors

WTF? Having an indoor hardcourt event in the middle of the clay season? :help: I'm sure it's on clay...

I like it, but no Zurich :sad:

Dexter
I thought there would be more radical changes.

predrag
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:08 PM
Adding two more mandatory events (in grey) is pretty
radical for WTA.

Maria Croft
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:13 PM
Looks like a lot of tournaments will be gone after next year.

GoDominique
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:15 PM
What the heck? No way Stuttgart indoors will be in April. :silly:
And Berlin right before RG, does that mean it will be downgraded to Tier III? :o

Maria Croft
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:17 PM
Maybe Berlin will finally have some better weather now that it's later in the year, it's almost always rainy there.

A shame that the grass season is still so short.

Si_Hi
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:22 PM
i think it's ok...

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:22 PM
This pretty sucks for me. Not many tournaments I can go to.
Madrid will be Tier I and Berlin Tier II/III ?
I hope that some things will change. It's still possible that Antwerp gets a tournament, but probably it won't be big.
Luxembourg goes down to Tier III again? I can't imagine that they schedule a Tier I and Tier II in the same week.

Just Do It
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:24 PM
I am glad the season wont start on January the 1st :yeah:

416_Man
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:25 PM
No. Some tournaments have changed like:
1. Gold Coast - likely bought by Brisbane
2. Tokyo PPO - moved to end of season
3. Doha - now YEC
4. Madrid - now a top tier

Some tournaments have disappeared altogether:
1. Pattaya City
2. Antwerp
3. Warsaw
4. Bad Geisten... but it was a new addition this year and may make a reappearance
5. San Diego - disappears in 2008 for financing problems
6. Forest Hills
7. Zurich

So, in reality, only 7 tournaments have gone. One of which was scheduled to go, one of which had a prize money of less than 75,000, and the rest which were unwilling to pay up more to have the WTA have equal prize money to the ATP. And so, all that's left is the cream of the crop.

mckyle.
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:27 PM
wow. looks like the lower ranked players will stick to challengers starting in 2009 :help: that really is a shame, because so many future top players like to start out in the smaller WTA's :sad:

mckyle.
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:31 PM
2. Tokyo PPO - moved to end of season

I believe that the Tier I event has been cut. The Tier III event that has always been at the end of the year is still there.

.:sk:.
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:32 PM
God I hate the new calendar. My favourites Antwerp and Zurich gone, Stuttgart on clay and Berlin disrated... :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

freelong
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:36 PM
I like the Acura Classis in San Diago, always has a good sign for the USOpen.

toproddick
The charm of smaller events along side with the bigger one are totally disappeared.

416_Man
wow. looks like the lower ranked players will stick to challengers starting in 2009 :help: that really is a shame, because so many future top players like to start out in the smaller WTA's :sad:

The tournaments on the right column are expected to have only 1 top 20 player. It'll resemble the ATP where the cut off at an International Series event can reach 100+.

And Oct. 12 has Tokyo as well as two weeks before. One is likely Tokyo Japan Open, and the other the PPO.

mckyle.
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:39 PM
I've always disliked the ATP system. I guess we know the reasons Larry was hired in the first place at WTA: to make it more like the ATP. I wonder what the founders of the WTA think? It must be degrading because it was formed by women and for a long time the WTA made sure to distance itself from the ATP to show that women could be successful on their own tour. Now it seems that it is all down the drain so the men and women can be together.

Nadie
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:40 PM
Moscow just before YEC :rolleyes: :sad:

Jirku
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:40 PM
stupid schedule :(

eurosport always showed everthing from luxembourg,stuttgart,moscow,zurich,linz,masters
now it's only 3 weeks at the end of the season :eek:

shrOOf
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:42 PM
I hate it

Geoffry
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:44 PM
It's still possible that Antwerp gets a tournament, but probably it won't be big.

According to the tournament director, Antwerp will become a invitation tournament of four days. Every tournament winner of 2009 will be eligible to play, but only sixteen tournament winners will actually get invited. The golden racket with diamonds will remain as the trophy.

Jorn
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:46 PM
It looks better then I expected, but they should move Stuttgart back to later in week 42. Berlin just before RG sucks, will likely be downgrated.

Aeroboy
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:47 PM
Clearly this is still a work in progress...

Just look at the weeks after Wibledon:

Clay court everts?!?! :eek: :tape:
no...and no upper tier for three weeks?

that dosent make any sense...

416_Man
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:50 PM
I don't like the ATP system. But I think what the WTA did was liberating. All of the tournaments that are currently signed up for 2009 are paying more than 140k to hold a tournament.

I'm sure Billie Jean King, a woman who spent much of her career fighting for equality for women, would love that Larry is demanding that these tournaments pay up or get it. It's no longer fair when the lowest tier women's event (140k) pays less than half as much as the lowest rank men's event (300k+).

:inlove:
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:50 PM
Shit. I hate it. :( Stuttgart. :sobbing: No one's going to go to an indoor tournament in the middle of the clay season. :rolleyes: Always my favorite tournament to go to every year. :sad:

Flightspeed
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:51 PM
WTF? Having an indoor hardcourt event in the middle of the clay season? :help: I'm sure it's on clay...

noone said it is gonna be on hardcourt..

saphir1
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:53 PM
So there wil be no Doha anymore except three years of YEC??? :confused:

Jul 1st, 2007, 03:07 PM
no Acura classic :(
Im gonna miss it :sad:

spriwi
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:07 PM
where is warsaw ? ?? ? ? ? ? ?

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:13 PM
According to the tournament director, Antwerp will become a invitation tournament of four days. Every tournament winner of 2009 will be eligible to play, but only sixteen tournament winners will actually get invited. The golden racket with diamonds will remain as the trophy.

Great :rolleyes:

For me there are actually 5 tournaments to go to:

Antwerp: NOT in 2009
Warsaw: NOT in 2009
Luxembourg: Probably Tier III in 2009 (I guess Ana won't go there)
Rosmalen: I guess Ana will choose for Eastbourne then
Berlin: Turns into Tier III?

Pretty awesome!

Then maybe Stuttgart is the only chance. I'm really loving the WTA now.

mr_burns
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:20 PM
I will miss the old indoor season...I know they have to shorten the season...but I liked it...Stuutgart needs another slot

Mikey B
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:22 PM
look at all that time between the aussie open and roland garros... i still think they should move RG to about april or something, gives more time for the grass court season and there wouldnt be an enormous gap between the first 2 slams....

other than that nothing too dramatic... nice to see some more mandatory events..

Dave.
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:34 PM
What a load of BS! I hope somebody tells them it is rubbish :(

Andrew..
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:54 PM
IW still fully intact, and Socal only loses one event. Better than I expected.

¤CharlDa¤
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:57 PM
Quebec City moves back right after Us Open :D

Slumpsova
Jul 1st, 2007, 04:07 PM
OMG i just noticed. Singapore got the tournament whereas no more Pattaya City? :eek:

Max565
Jul 1st, 2007, 04:09 PM
I'm not really sure of this...

But there are so many hardcourt events... They should have turned PPO into the other Tokyo hardcourt tourney...

Joana
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:05 PM
It sucks ass. I see that they finally gave in to stupid American whining about US Open being "the end of the tennis season". Everything after USO is ridiculous now. The worst thing is that for the last couple of years European indoor tournaments provided us with the best tennis of the season and now they're pretty much killed.

mr_burns
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:09 PM
It sucks ass. I see that they finally gave in to stupid American whining about US Open being "the end of the tennis season". Everything after USO is ridiculous now. The worst thing is that for the last couple of years European indoor tournaments provided us with the best tennis of the season and now they're pretty much killed.

exactly

Slutiana
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:14 PM
:help:

what i want to know is how they will handle players rankings...can anyone tell me?

Mikey B
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:16 PM

i agree! bit sad really. european indoor season has always been awesome... less injuries and most players at their best... shame its basically gone now!

Apoleb
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:17 PM
It looks like a hot mess. They need to cut the US summer hardcourts season, and bring more indoors tourneys. What is Stuttgart doing there in the middle of the clay season? And fuck Indian Wells and Miami. They should make one of them a preparation tourny for the US Open and throw the other one or something. (can't happen, but uhm).

Vut
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:19 PM
ahhhhh!!! no more Pattaya Open :sad: replaced by the new event in Singapore... Bangkok Open move to February :eek: hope they will add more tier 3-4 tours

Piotr'ek
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:28 PM
Awful and Boring :help: :help: :help:

Ingokoer
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:29 PM
Shit. I hate it. :( Stuttgart. :sobbing: No one's going to go to an indoor tournament in the middle of the clay season. :rolleyes: Always my favorite tournament to go to every year. :sad:

On german eurosport website I read, that Stuttgart will change its surface from 2009 on from hardcourt indoors to red clay indoors.

AnnaK_4ever
Jul 1st, 2007, 06:03 PM
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/travelblogue/2007/06/following-the-g.html

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/1607/20070628wtacalendarblogjb1.jpg

Mandatory events (all players who qualify by the rankings must play them):
Australian Open
Indian Wells
Miami
Madrid
Roland Garros
Wimbledon
US Open
Beijing
Tour Championships

"A" events (with 7 Top-10 players guaranteed to play):
Dubai
Rome
Canadian Open
Cincinnati
Moscow

"B+" events (<1 Top-6 and 2 Top-13 players> OR <2 Top-6 players> guaranteed to play):
Sydney (no restrictions on top-players)
Paris Indoors
Charleston
Stuttgart
Berlin (no restrictions on top-players)
Eastbourne (no restrictions on top-players)
Stanford
Los Angeles
New Haven (no restrictions on top-players)
Tokyo [on the week before Beijing]

Other tournaments are not allowed to get Top-10 players in their draws.

Wannabeknowitall
Jul 1st, 2007, 06:15 PM

I know one for a fact who would go to an indoor tournament in the middle of the clay season and her name is Lindsay Davenport. :lol:

She won't be playing then but I guarantee that if that was the schedule in 2005, she would have played it.

I think players like Jankovic, Chakvetadze, Safarova, and other newcomers are so versatile that they can easily play one week on a fast indoors surface and then on the slower clay surface.

It actually might be a smart idea from Larry Scott. :tape:

hingis44
Jul 1st, 2007, 06:16 PM
It s strange that Antwerp disapear Because its Kim Clijters who will be the director!

Wannabeknowitall
Jul 1st, 2007, 06:19 PM

I think that's ridiculous.
The grass season is short enough as it is.
So now they're gonna cut it even short for players like Sharapova and Jankovic who like to play Birmingham?

That should be at least the exception to the rule.
There aren't enough tournaments on grass to restrict play in tournaments.

Wannabeknowitall
Jul 1st, 2007, 06:22 PM
On german eurosport website I read, that Stuttgart will change its surface from 2009 on from hardcourt indoors to red clay indoors.

I hope they don't do this.
After watching how awful the conditions of the indoor clay courts have been after a few hours play in Davis Cup and FED CUP, I feel it would be impossible to play a good tournament on the surface.

LDF
Jul 1st, 2007, 06:23 PM
Wow, the European indoor season has pretty much disappeared.

Zurich :sad:

I know it won't happen, but I'd love to see the number of hard court events trimmed in the next decade. It could help to reduce injuries on the tour, as hard is toughest on the body, and also it'd be nice to see some more grass/indoor tournaments.

papru
Jul 1st, 2007, 06:23 PM
where the heck is Waw?

LDF
Jul 1st, 2007, 06:25 PM
I think that's ridiculous.
The grass season is short enough as it is.
So now they're gonna cut it even short for players like Sharapova and Jankovic who like to play Birmingham?

That should be at least the exception to the rule.
There aren't enough tournaments on grass to restrict play in tournaments.

I agree with this. Going by the rules, the top players only have two options: Eastbourne, or nothing.

I don't see why players should be stopped from playing the smaller events if they want to :shrug:

Poova
Jul 1st, 2007, 06:26 PM
The hardcourt season is weird... no big events for weeks and then all of them in the space of a few weeks. :scratch: I don't really like it. Too much like the ATP. :o

Jem
Jul 1st, 2007, 06:45 PM
No.
1. 5. San Diego - disappears in 2008 for financing problems.

I don't think it was financial problems so much as they just didn't have a big enough stadium. For the most part, San Diego has been successful over the years. And a favorite of the players.

predrag
Jul 1st, 2007, 06:55 PM

Something similar exists now. Gold Exempt 1-10 players (as defined
by rankings after US Open every year) are not allowed to play
Tier IVs whatsoever and Tier IIIs only if there's no Tier II and Tier I
on the same week. The difference is that more than half the schedule
in 2009 will be tournies for lower-ranked players only.

IMPOSSIBLE
Jul 1st, 2007, 06:59 PM
Stockholm :)

Wont players just play ITF events in the new off season

Jem
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:00 PM

No offense, but I don't think it was "stupid American whining" that led to all this. The players -- especially the top players from Europe, the U.S. and elsehwere -- have complained for years that they needed a longer off season -- a number of consecutive weeks where they could refresh and recharge their batteries without travel and the constant grind of the tour. It makes the most sense to have that off season during November and December, which naturally meant the demise of some of the fall indoor tournaments. I'm not sure how else you could have accomplished what the players wanted. Moreover, the fall tournaments have been subject to the whims of the players -- some years they show up, some years they don't.

Of course, all that said, I'm convinced the players -- especially top players -- will use the "off season" to chase big bucks in exhibitions. Maybe that won't be as mentally taxing, but it will require lots of travel.

TaxPower
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:11 PM
where can I find 2008 calendar???

Nicolás89
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:16 PM
i actually like it :shrug:

predrag
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:18 PM
where can I find 2008 calendar???

PDF version via USTA is here:

http://dps.usta.com/usta_master/usta/doc/content/doc_13_15469.pdf?12/8/2006%202:31:55%20PM

hurricanejeanne
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:19 PM
Well there goes the Fall Indoors, which was one of my favorite times of the year and that's when the Race to the YEC really heated up. I guess the Race will "heat up" after Wimbledon in 2009.

I'm happy to see most of the US Open Series' events remain intact but still, the calendar looks like a mess to me. Stuttgart in April? :tape:

Zurich. :sad:

This "new calendar" is going to take a lot of getting used to.

TaxPower
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:21 PM
PDF version via USTA is here:

http://dps.usta.com/usta_master/usta/doc/content/doc_13_15469.pdf?12/8/2006%202:31:55%20PM

Thanks so much!!!

schorsch
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:22 PM
omg zurich open is gone :cry:

i hate it sooooooooooo much. its destroyed everything ! EVERYTHING !

SloKid
Jul 1st, 2007, 08:04 PM
Well Portoroz stays on the schedule and is moved forward to July, right before the start of the US hard court season with no other tourney at the time. It could turn into a nice summer event, the attendance should be better as it's in the middle of the tourist season on the coast and if they have more evening matches under the lights it could turn into a very good tournament just like Umag is on the ATP tour.
Have you actually been there? :lol:
You said you were going to tons of tournaments last year, but I'm pretty sure you didn't go to a single one. :p

spiceboy
Jul 1st, 2007, 08:13 PM
1. Pattaya City
2. Antwerp
3. Warsaw
4. Bad Geisten... but it was a new addition this year and may make a reappearance
5. San Diego - disappears in 2008 for financing problems
6. Forest Hills
7. Zurich

Only Antwerp and San Diego won't be played in 2008 as part of the WTA Tour so still a chance to go next year :)

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 1st, 2007, 08:18 PM
Nice, but i hope they put SAN DIEGO into the July 20th spot. Those 3 weeks after Wimbledon seem awfully empty for the hardcourt season.:p

spiceboy
Jul 1st, 2007, 08:21 PM
Nice, but i hope they put SAN DIEGO into the July 20th spot. Those 3 weeks after Wimbledon seem awfully empty for the hardcourt season.:p

Portoroz is hard :)

thegre8w0n
Jul 1st, 2007, 08:26 PM
So what are the actual Tier I events now?

Keaka
Jul 1st, 2007, 08:28 PM
Portoroz in summer vacation :bounce:

AnnaK_4ever
Jul 1st, 2007, 08:29 PM
So what are the actual Tier I events now?

Tokyo Pan Pacific, Indian Wells, Miami, Charleston, Berlin, Rome, San Diego, Canadian Open, Moscow, Zurich.

thegre8w0n
Jul 1st, 2007, 08:33 PM
Tokyo Pan Pacific, Indian Wells, Miami, Charleston, Berlin, Rome, San Diego, Canadian Open, Moscow, Zurich.

Sorry I meant for 2009

AnnaK_4ever
Jul 1st, 2007, 08:40 PM
Sorry I meant for 2009

Oh, I see then...

Dubai, Indian Wells, Miami, Rome, Madrid, Canadian Open, Cincinnati, Beijing, Moscow will be kind of "Tier I" events in 2009.

thegre8w0n
Jul 1st, 2007, 08:42 PM
Oh, I see then...

Dubai, Indian Wells, Miami, Rome, Madrid, Canadian Open, Cincinnati, Beijing, Moscow will be kind of "Tier I" events in 2009.

Thanks

Kai
Jul 1st, 2007, 08:44 PM
:hysteric:

Tennace
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:00 PM
If the issue is trying to get top players playing each other more, then there needs to be less larger events such as Tier 1s and 2s, or they need to be more spread out. This schedule will not help top players play each other more or whatever they are trying to do.

evan2907
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:29 PM
The women can play on clay outdoor in Stuttgart. The men do it already.

monster
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:49 AM
Gee, the tour has done some great things with the calender- I love Fed cp after the OZ Open and Pan Pac's moving to the end of the season.

However, don't like Paris indoors by itself (as an indoor tournie)- it needs to move to the end of season as well (maybe week 39) and then think Dubia by itself is dumb too- maybe another middle east tournie will pop up??

Or if they have to stay- maybe move Quebec City to the same week as Acapulco so you could have Paris, Memphis/Quebec as an indoor swing.

It would have also been a good time to move Bogata and Acapulco post Miami- maybe they had a hard time with the ATP to get Acapulco moved????

I still can't believe that there is not a bigger break between Roland G and The Championships- pefect perfect perfect chance to move it over.

Nicky_608
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:14 AM
Bye bye Pattaya:sad: