PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon report (Monday - Friday)

GoDominique
Jul 1st, 2007, 12:34 PM
So here's my report. Overall I had a great time despite the rain and illness later on. :D
I will comment on the men's matches that I saw too. If you have any further questions (also about the Grounds, the courts, queueing etc.), feel free to ask. :)

Monday

Weather forecast had been horrible so I was pleasantly surprised to arrive at the Southfields queue without rain but some sunshine. The queue was nice as always with lots of freebies. Later on there was the airport-like security check but it was pretty quick.
Once inside the grounds however the weather got worse and at about 11.15 it started to rain. It looked really bad then and the offcials kept announcing "no play before 12.30", then "no play before 1.30" and so on. Finally at about 2.30 it was dry again and play was about to commence.
The first match I watched was Kaia Kanepi vs. Tadde Malek on Court 7. [As I've learned now I was probably sitting close to TheBoiledEgg with realising it. :o] Malek's father - who seems to be a pretty relaxed guy compared to some other daddies - and German Fed-Cup coach Rittner were watching too. Tadde had 0-40 on Kaia's serve in the very first game but still lost the game, and after that Kaia was in control with powerful play from the baseline. Malek seemed somewhat nervous and was too passive overall. Her backhand which is her biggest weakness anyway was esepcially bad, always too short. The second set was closer and Tadde had some chances while Kaia made a lot of UE's but Tadde still had no confidence in her backhand so Kaia won comfortably 6-1 6-4.
I then watched the end of the first set of Kohlschreiber vs. Serra. Serra took it 7-6 and Kohlschreiber showed a pretty bad attitude and of course lost in straights. Lame.
After that I walked around the Grounds. I heard the excitement on Court 2 and how Cavaday's match-points came and went.
The next match I saw was Patty Schnyder vs. Camille Pin on Court 4. When I arrived the 3rd set had just begun and it was the picture that I expected: Patty increasingly frustrated by Camille's medium-paced consistent shots. She tried some drop-shots but most of them failed, she netted a lot of forehands or hit them long. Camille was in control - at least it seemed so. She got up 3-0 and had 0-40 on Patty's serve. Somewhat surprisingly Patty decided not to tank but to fight a little and held serve. Still Camille kept playing well and got the second break to go up 5-1. Then the choking began. She dropped her serve, then had two match-points on Patty's serve (one of them wasted with a UE). At 5-3 she was 40-30 up and made three UE's in a row, something she probably hadn't done the whole match. Really pathetic and sad. Credit to Patty though for hanging in there, still Camille shouldn't have let this on go. 5-4, then another rain delay. When they finally returned Patty was more focused again. Camille was up once more at 6-5 but then Patty closed the match out. Pretty funny actually that she's now in the 4th round.
There wasn't too much time for play left after that, and some courts finished early because of dampness. I saw some points of Bartoli vs. Pennetta. Marion seemed to be playing well, although her weird moves before every point look ridiculous. I finished the day on Henman Hill with Henman vs. Moya.

Tuesday

Tuesday was great, no rain and many nice matches. :)
I started the day on Courts 16 and 17. On Court 16 it was Julia Schruff vs. Milagros Sequera. Julia was really bad, pretty much as I expected. No confidence, no gameplan, plenty of UE's. Whenever she seemed to get things going a bit she would make some more errors to give it away again. Milagros was solid from the baseline and that was enough to win 6-3 6-2.
Same picture on Court 17, Anna-Lena Grönefeld vs. Nika Ozegovic. ALG is in really bad shape, her waistline is ridiculous. She started decently though and the match was even until 3-3, then she began to fall apart completely and was just hopeless. Bad movement, bad shot selection, tons of errors. Nika played pretty well actually, she had no problems with ALG's few decent power-shots and her flat groundies worked well on grass. She had a tiny scare at the very end but won comfortably 6-3 6-2. I have no idea where ALG is going from this, but it won't be up the rankings, that's for sure.
Then I went over to watch Qureshi vs. Childs. I became a fan of Qureshi when I saw him on TV at Rosmalen last year. He's a great grass court player with lots of touch at the net. Childs is decent but overall looks more like a challenger player. The third set was very close though going to a tie-break, which Qureshi finally won under the cheers of the Pakistan fans. He was delighted about the win. :)
After that I tried to watch the conclusion of Henman vs. Moya on Henman Hill but there was hardly any space left. I still managed to view the final few games on the big screen.
I watched the final set of Becker vs. Chela on Court 18, which Chela won 10-8. Bad loss for Becker, his forehand wasn't working and he didn't play it smart tactically. He came back from 3-5 and match-point down to serve for the match, only to drop his serve again. Wasted chance.
Then I walked around the Grounds and catched a few matches here and there.
Olga Govortsova showed a powerful baseline game against Greta Arn and dominated the final set, winning 6-7 7-6 6-1.
Yvonne Meusberger did well at pushing balls over the net as usual and waiting for Razzano's errors, winning 6-4 7-5. She was really excited about it.
Maria Kirilenko continued her slump, missing chances to break back in the second set against Alize Cornet by making dumb errors and losing 4-6 4-6. This match had lots of vocal fans (by Wimbledon standards) for both players in the stands.
Anna Chakvetadze had a bad start against Angelique Kerber being down 2-5 but then got her game going and Angelique was without much chance. 7-5 6-3 in the end.
Santoro vs. Karlovic was what you would expect, big serving from Karlovic and Santoro trying to work his magic. I saw the end of the 2nd set which Santoro won on a tie-break. Sadly I missed the end of the match, I heard Santoro won it with a lob. :eek:
YT Wang vs. Kunitsyn was a fun match, partly because Wang had a posse of loud fans, always cheering him on with a funny chant. He's a good grass court player and they had nice rallies. Kunitsyn fought back from two sets down but in the 5th Wang was too strong.
There was play until darkness set in. Baghdatis was the last one to finish his match.

sharapovarulz1
Jul 1st, 2007, 12:35 PM
Cool report you got any pics?

GoDominique
Jul 1st, 2007, 12:35 PM
More reports to follow.

GoDominique
Jul 1st, 2007, 12:37 PM
Cool report you got any pics?
No, sorry. I'm not a photo guy. Text only. ;)

sharapovarulz1
Jul 1st, 2007, 12:39 PM
No, sorry. I'm not a photo guy. Text only. ;)

Lol ok cool :D

Mileen
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the report! Awaiting the next!

Cam'ron Giles
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:12 PM
So here's my report. Overall I had a great time despite the rain and illness later on. :D
I will comment on the men's matches that I saw too. If you have any further questions (also about the Grounds, the courts, queueing etc.), feel free to ask. :)

Monday

Weather forecast had been horrible so I was pleasantly surprised to arrive at the Southfields queue without rain but some sunshine. The queue was nice as always with lots of freebies. Later on there was the airport-like security check but it was pretty quick.
Once inside the grounds however the weather got worse and at about 11.15 it started to rain. It looked really bad then and the offcials kept announcing "no play before 12.30", then "no play before 1.30" and so on. Finally at about 2.30 it was dry again and play was about to commence.
The first match I watched was Kaia Kanepi vs. Tadde Malek on Court 7. [As I've learned now I was probably sitting close to TheBoiledEgg with realising it. :o] Malek's father - who seems to be a pretty relaxed guy compared to some other daddies - and German Fed-Cup coach Rittner were watching too. Tadde had 0-40 on Kaia's serve in the very first game but still lost the game, and after that Kaia was in control with powerful play from the baseline. Malek seemed somewhat nervous and was too passive overall. Her backhand which is her biggest weakness anyway was esepcially bad, always too short. The second set was closer and Tadde had some chances while Kaia made a lot of UE's but Tadde still had no confidence in her backhand so Kaia won comfortably 6-1 6-4.
I then watched the end of the first set of Kohlschreiber vs. Serra. Serra took it 7-6 and Kohlschreiber showed a pretty bad attitude and of course lost in straights. Lame.
After that I walked around the Grounds. I heard the excitement on Court 2 and how Cavaday's match-points came and went.
The next match I saw was Patty Schnyder vs. Camille Pin on Court 4. When I arrived the 3rd set had just begun and it was the picture that I expected: Patty increasingly frustrated by Camille's medium-paced consistent shots. She tried some drop-shots but most of them failed, she netted a lot of forehands or hit them long. Camille was in control - at least it seemed so. She got up 3-0 and had 0-40 on Patty's serve. Somewhat surprisingly Patty decided not to tank but to fight a little and held serve. Still Camille kept playing well and got the second break to go up 5-1. Then the choking began. She dropped her serve, then had two match-points on Patty's serve (one of them wasted with a UE). At 5-3 she was 40-30 up and made three UE's in a row, something she probably hadn't done the whole match. Really pathetic and sad. Credit to Patty though for hanging in there, still Camille shouldn't have let this on go. 5-4, then another rain delay. When they finally returned Patty was more focused again. Camille was up once more at 6-5 but then Patty closed the match out. Pretty funny actually that she's now in the 4th round.
There wasn't too much time for play left after that, and some courts finished early because of dampness. I saw some points of Bartoli vs. Pennetta. Marion seemed to be playing well, although her weird moves before every point look ridiculous. I finished the day on Henman Hill with Henman vs. Moya.

Awwww...the Make a Wish Foundation really came through for you...God bless them...:angel: I must say though...facing your fears...*hint: Williams*...is a big step towards recovery...BRAVO!!!!!!

GoDominique
Jul 1st, 2007, 04:09 PM
Tuesday part added. Will try to do the others later tonight. :)

Infiniti2001
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:23 PM
Awwww...the Make a Wish Foundation really came through for you...God bless them...:angel: I must say though...facing your fears...*hint: Williams*...is a big step towards recovery...BRAVO!!!!!!

:lol: :help:

Jem
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the report.