PDA

View Full Version : Bud Collins: Predicts a Henin vs. Williams Final

vw.
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:59 AM
A big second week for Venus
American will make final, but fall short in bid to win fourth Wimbledon title

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060629/060629_williams_vmed_10a.widec.jpg
By Bud Collins
MSNBC contributor
Updated: 2 hours, 36 minutes ago

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19524633/

LONDON - Wimbledon's second week will begin with a very busy Monday schedule due to the backlog created by a wet first Saturday when only two matches were completed.

Week 2 of the London fortnight will be busy at the start and surprising at the finish as it will end with two first-time champions of this grasscourt major.

Justine Henin and Rafael Nadal are my picks to win the women's and men's singles title with Venus Williams and Roger Federer being on the losing end in the respective finals.

Gazing into my crystal ball let's look at how Wimbledon's second week will unfold.

Women
The top-seeded Henin, a Wimbledon finalist last year and also in 2006, and seventh-seeded Serena Williams, a two-time Wimbledon champion (2003 and 2002), are in the same quarter in the top half of the draw. They are each a win away from meeting in the quarterfinals like they did earlier this year at the French Open when Serena did not look impressive in a straight-set loss to the Belgian.

It’s pretty safe to plan on Henin and Serena getting together again on grass. Henin's fourth-round opponent is 15th-seeded Patty Schnyder, and she has handled the Swiss over the years winning seven of their eight encounters. The two have never met at Wimbledon or on grass. Schnyder's only victory over Henin was in 2006 on clay in Charleston.

Serena gets 10th-seeded Daniela Hantuchova in the fourth-round, whom she has beaten in five of their six career meetings. One of those wins came at Wimbledon in straight sets in 2002. The only time the Slovakian has beaten the American was last year at the Australian Open.

It's easy to say Serena has an advantage over Henin on grass. Serena is one of the few players who is very comfortable on the lawns and she has won her only grasscourt challenge against the Belgian, a straight-set Wimbledon triumph in 2003. But Henin, who is best known for her clay-court supremacy (she has won three consecutive French Opens) more than holds her own on grass, and these days she is playing better than Serena. Henin wins her second straight Grand Slam match over Serena.

In the other quarter of the top half of the draw it's Jelena Jankovic, one of the sensational young Serbs, who'll get to the semifinals. To do so the third seed will drop 18th-seeded Frenchwoman Marion Bartoli[b] in the fourth-round, and then in the quarterfinals she'll do away with the winner of the tilt between American [b]Laura Granville and Dutchwoman Michaella Krajicek. Granville upset ninth-seeded Martina Hingis in the third round so she won't leave London without at least one shining memory.

As talented as Jankovic is she won't be able to knock out Henin in the semifinals. Jankovic is 0-6 against Henin and headed for 0-7. The best Belgium has to offer will get to her third Wimbledon final, and be in the title match for the second straight year.

In the bottom half of the draw don't discount defending champion Amelie Mauresmo from the mix. However, she’s still not at her fittest following an appendectomy in March. The Frenchwoman is getting back on form, but from what she's shown at Wimbledon she's still not at 100 percent. Mauresmo is moving better, and movement is an important part of her game. As her first week at Wimbledon evolved she began to serve and volley more, but she's not yet back in top shape.

Mauresmo will get bounced in the quarterfinals by another sensational Serb Ana Ivanovic. The sixth seed got her dose of nerves out of the way by making first major final at Roland Garros a few weeks ago where she fell to Henin. She'll now have a handle on her nerves and that will turn out to be bad news for Mauresmo.

Meeting up with Ivanovic in the semifinals will be Venus Williams. When the rains came on the first Saturday Venus, who is seeded 23rd, had won the opening set (6-2) of her third-round test against Akiko Morigami. But the unseeded Japanese player was leading 4-1 in the second set. When they resume on Monday expect Venus to get back on track and win the match.

Venus would then get 2004 Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova in the fourth round. The Russian has taken three of their four career meetings, but has lost their only battle on grass at Wimbledon a couple of years ago. Round 2 between the two in London will also go to Venus, whom I like to win her quarterfinal match against any one of four possible opponents: Svetlana Kuznetsova, Elena Dementieva, Tamira Paszek, or Agnieszka Radwanska.

Venus is playing more aggressive tennis with each match at this major, and that has to be encouraging for her as she tries to duplicate the unexpected run she made to the Wimbledon title in 2005. Her other Wimbledon championships came in 2001 and 2000. She'll make it past Ivanovic, but lose in the final to Henin, my pick to win it all at the start of this major. There’s been nothing I’ve seen from Henin during the first week here to make me come off of that pick as the Belgian is playing the best tennis on the women’s side.

vw.
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:01 AM
I'm almost amazed to see how much reporters are saying good stuff about Venus these days, despite her poor play. I guess 2005 did teach them SLIGHTY.

But Bud Collins has always been one to support the Williamses, particularly Venus I've found. I hope his prediction is correct, obviously with a different final result. ;)

supergrunt
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:04 AM
:crying2: Bud, I used to love you. :hysteric: How could you? :tears:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:08 AM
Bud "sexy pants" Collins :drool:

Sir Stefwhit
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:09 AM
Nadal the 2007 Wimbledon Champ- now that's a bold prediction. I'll give it to Bud for having balls enough make the predictions.

My crystal ball must be tuned to a different frequency though, I'm seeing Serena, everything else is a blur. I'd be estatic if my two favorites won Wimby, so let's hope Bud's half right and Nadal comes through the victor.

GO NADAL and SERENA!!

Donny
Well, then, Venus and Henin are both doomed. Bud's ALWAYS wrong. It's almost as if he tries to be wrong, to mess with people.

Last year he picked Fed to win the French, Nadal to win WImbledon... This year, the same exact thing. I think he's going senile.

Wolverines08
No Way On Earth that Justine takes out both sisters at the Same Slam, maybe the FO but no way Wimbledon.

heytennis
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:14 AM
No way Ivanovic is beating Mauresmo, I dont even expect her to get past Petrova.

Horrible predictions.

GracefulVenus
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:16 AM
3rd Person to pick Venus. I do think her draw is kind to her.

40-0
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:16 AM
IMO they are putting too much pressure on Venus, if she doesnt make it... I dont even want to think what they will say.

Drake1980
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:20 AM
he's wrong, flat out!

Sir Stefwhit
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:20 AM
IMO they are putting too much pressure on Venus, if she doesnt make it... I dont even want to think what they will say.

There might be some truth there but look at it this way, isn't it nice to see someone outside of Vee's hardcore fans believing in her again?

I actually prefer when people doubt Serena. I think she does too, it motivates her that much more. That's why I'm glad to hear people say they expect Justine to beat Serena. I just hope it gets back to her to fire her up even more...:fiery:

DownTheLine21
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:21 AM
No Way On Earth that Justine takes out both sisters at the Same Slam, maybe the FO but no way Wimbledon.

I agree. If Henin does get past Serena, Venus will not be leaving the court until she is the champion. With Venus avenging her sister's loss, Justine will be in for quite a battle.

GracefulVenus
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:23 AM

What they usually say when she loses. All of her matches are winnable in her section of the draw, especially if she gets passed Maria. I totally agree with him and Mary Jo and McEnroe. Venus has a chance to get a fourth title. It's all up to how she serves.

mdterp01
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:24 AM
Ballsy predictions but I can't say I see it unfolding like that.

ToeTag
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:28 AM
He's wrong. Mauresmo and Federer will repeat as champions.

junlee_vee
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:32 AM
What they usually say when she loses. All of her matches are winnable in her section of the draw, especially if she gets passed Maria. I totally agree with him and Mary Jo and McEnroe. Venus has a chance to get a fourth title. It's all up to how she serves.

Too true. Her serve is crucial, and for the most part, her first serve has been clicking with her second serve..ehh...not so much!

But as somebody else said, Bud is always wrong, so I'm a bit worried! :scared:

trufanjay
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:48 AM
He thinks that Justine will beat Serena then.

Interesting.

Justine has a chance but to think that Venus will beat Sharapova and Mauresmo and not think Serena can beat Justine is a little off IMO. Venus vs. Henin is a possibility, a rematch of the 2001 final would be great. I think the most interesting final would be Serena vs. Mauresmo. Serena vs. Venus will be appealing but we all know how they tend to play against each other. Serena vs. Maria would be just a little more competitive than the Australian Open final but a straight set win for Serena. Henin vs. Mauresmo would be boring. Henin vs. Maria would be an easy win for either player. Right now the winner of Justine/Serena will make the final. The winner of Venus/Sharapova will play Mauresmo in the semifinal. So that leaves the final up to four women. A lot of people are saying that there are a lot of possibilities for the title but I really disagree with that.

frontier
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:05 AM
Venus has a chance if she plays to her fullest potential she has always played better than Serena at wimbledon.Serena played well 2002 2003 2004 but all the other years she struggled on the lawn.
All that Vee needs is confidence and once she beats pova she has limitless possibilities.

cartmancop
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:13 AM
The final dagger in Justine's Wimbledon chances: A Bud Collin's prediction :lol: She might have destroyed an entire hotel room like a trashed rock star tantrum after learning this, given Bud's skill at jinxing his picks :devil: (What a sight that would be ;) )

hacberto
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:14 AM
I don't like to make predictions but.... shut up Bud, remenber Roland Garros he said that Serena and Maria were gonna be in the finals and none of them reached the finals.

rommel99
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:16 AM
he picked nadal to win. enough said.

heytennis
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:20 AM
If Venus gets by Maria (which I think is doubtful), she has a good chance to make it to at least the semi.

Rolling-Thunder
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:26 AM
How is Henin the Wimbledon finalist last year and also in 2006? Did I miss a year? And do these people actually proof read their stuff, dictate it or actually write it?

spencercarlos
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:32 AM
He's wrong. Mauresmo and Federer will repeat as champions.
I kind of agree, the top half has many great players and is tough to predict. I don´t see neither Venus or Nadal making the final.
Still Serena is the big favorite for this grand slam.

spencercarlos
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:34 AM
If Venus gets by Maria (which I think is doubtful), she has a good chance to make it to at least the semi.
Venus best chance is to avoid Kuznetsova and Mauresmo definetly. I just don´t see her beating Maria, Kuznetsova and Mauresmo back to back.

vw.
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:37 AM
If all goes according to Bud's prediction, would this be the first time in a WHILE that the both men and women's Roland Garros Champions won at Wimbledon in the same year?

trufanjay
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:44 AM
Venus best chance is to avoid Kuznetsova and Mauresmo definetly. I just don´t see her beating Maria, Kuznetsova and Mauresmo back to back.
I think if she beats Maria she can beat Kuznetsova. Maria is a tougher opponent on grass than Svetlana. Mauresmo is on a higher level than both of the Russians so no matter who Venus beats she would play the most solid woman in the draw and the defending champion in the semifinals. I think beating an in form Maria would be a ticket to the semifinal. In order ofr Venus to lose in the quarters she would have to play worse than she did in the fourth round.

trufanjay
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:45 AM
If all goes according to Bud's prediction, would this be the first time in a WHILE that the both men and women's Roland Garros Champions won at Wimbledon in the same year?
I have no idea, but that won't happen. The women's champion could be Justine, but the men's champion will be Roger Federer.

vw.
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:48 AM
Where he is wrong, I think, is with Mauresmo and Venus.

There is no way Mauresmo will lose to Ivanovic, and she is heavily favored to make the finals in the bottom half.

That being said, if Venus makes the final like he says, there's no way she'll lose the final. It's the early rounds she struggles with, and if she can fight through Morigami on Monday, I definitely see a potential for a Maria upset, and a mouth watering SF against Mauresmo.

I do slightly agree about Justine though. If Serena comes a bit off and Justine comes out and serves well, attacks the net, and defends well, Justine may very well beat her. Match is in Serena's hands though, and it's definitely 60-40 for Serena at this point.

Derek.
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:52 AM
It looks like Bud's age is finally showing. :hug:

morningglory
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:55 AM
:lol: picking Nadal to win Wimby loses all credibility with me :lol:

Apoleb
Jul 1st, 2007, 04:05 AM
In the bottom half of the draw don't discount defending champion Amelie Mauresmo from the mix. However, she’s still not at her fittest following an appendectomy in March. The Frenchwoman is getting back on form, but from what she's shown at Wimbledon she's still not at 100 percent. Mauresmo is moving better, and movement is an important part of her game. As her first week at Wimbledon evolved she began to serve and volley more, but she's not yet back in top shape.

Mauresmo will get bounced in the quarterfinals by another sensational Serb Ana Ivanovic.

:weirdo:

Mauresmo has been by far one of the most impressive so far. She's even playing better than last year by this stage.

I'm picking a Justine-Momo rematch. :D

Rex59
Jul 1st, 2007, 04:10 AM
Venus may not even get by Akiko on Monday the way she played in the 2nd set today. Venus was woeful and not much better in the 1st set even though she won same. Coupled with her near-miss in the opening round, how can anyone possibly believe that Venus will make a final's appearance. Venus is still erratic, inconsistent and error-prone. She's performing the worst of the player's left in the draw. How does that sum up to a final's appearance? Is it because she's won 3 titles in the past and people assume this is her surface, becoming a likely winner? That should have no bearing on today's Wimbledon, for she's done nothing remarkable since the '05 Wimbledon, including 2 years prior to that. The Tour has better players now, including up-and-comers, like Michaella and the 16 year old Tamira, for instance, who are more consistent than the 27 year old Venus. Bud needs to revise his predictions.

Bruno71
Jul 1st, 2007, 04:14 AM
Well, then, Venus and Henin are both doomed. Bud's ALWAYS wrong. It's almost as if he tries to be wrong, to mess with people.

Last year he picked Fed to win the French, Nadal to win WImbledon... This year, the same exact thing. I think he's going senile.

Exactly, except I think he KNOWS he's always wrong so he just does it to jinx these players. Looks like Serena and Maria/Amelie in the final :lol:

TSequoia01
Jul 1st, 2007, 04:25 AM
Well I understand how he has come up with Justine, she is playing great. Venus who I never count out has not shown yet she can do it. I would make Mauresmo the favorite. So the favorites probably should be Justine and Momo. However being the favorite does not guarantee victory.

asiandude
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:22 AM
I had a dream, Jelena J crying and jumping on court. winner? i hope it wont happen.

woosey
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:30 AM
v needs to shovel herself out of 1-4 hole in the second against morigami. then we'll talk about victory.

hingis-seles
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:46 AM
I was so impressed with the way Sharapova played against Sugiyama. Mauresmo, Sharapova, and Henin are my picks - one of them will win the title. I'd give the edge to the winner of Mauresmo/Sharapova.

LucasArg
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:49 AM
I want a Venus vs Serena final!!!! :angel:

treufreund
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:53 AM
Nadal???

MistyGrey
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:00 AM
Bud's kiss of death :sad:
I'm glad he didnt pick Roger. Last year he picked Fed to win RG and Nadal to win Wimbledon. This year he has done the same, hopefully the outcome will be similar as well.
But Justine :sad:

Bruno71
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:02 AM
Here's a question...to anyone's recollection...has Bud ever picked correctly? He must've picked Federer outside of RG in the past I guess.

Andrew Laeddis
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:04 AM
if venus does make to the finals its mean she will be in great form and no matter how much justine has improved she will go down in 3 possible 2 sets.venus hits harder and flatter and has a bigger serve. she wont be able to exploit venus's movement since venus moves verty well and venus is very capable at net. justine will not beat both williams sisters at wimbledon in the same year unless they play awfully which most likely they wont. venus plays well after the quarters of a slam so i dont expect justine to win unless venus doesnt show up. i agree about mauresmo not aking the finals. i dont care who good shes playing she wont make it. the

final will be serena/justine vs maria/venus

as far a nadal winning:lol: nadal will never e at federer on grass. im doubtful that he will even beat soderling (he a headcase so he could play very bad tennis against nadal),youhzny, derdych,hewitt or djokovic on grass. bottom line the winner of the federer/roddick semi will win wimbledon. roger can and will beat anyone on grass so if he wins the semi he wins the tourney. if roddic does manage to get to the finals. he wont lose. he can beat nadal. he knows this will probably be his last chance to win a major and he will take it.

final:federer/roddick vs djokovic/hewitt/berdych

G1Player2
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:08 AM
Here's a question...to anyone's recollection...has Bud ever picked correctly? He must've picked Federer outside of RG in the past I guess.

Bud never picks correctly :rolleyes: I think Mauresmo has a better shot at reaching the final than Henin does. Also, Bruno, when are the quarters played? Tues or Wed?

TF Chipmunk
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:09 AM
Even I have to say that was a retarded article :retard: His reasons for people winning were so baseless :o

Bruno71
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:12 AM
Bud never picks correctly :rolleyes: I think Mauresmo has a better shot at reaching the final than Henin does. Also, Bruno, when are the quarters played? Tues or Wed?

Dates: Competition: Court:
Tue 3 July - Ladies' Singles (Quarter-Finals) CC & No.1

This is provisional...meaning...if rain doesn't fuck up the schedule even more.

I think Mauresmo has a better chance too, given the draw and how she's played.

G1Player2
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:18 AM
Dates: Competition: Court:
Tue 3 July - Ladies' Singles (Quarter-Finals) CC & No.1

This is provisional...meaning...if rain doesn't fuck up the schedule even more.

I think Mauresmo has a better chance too, given the draw and how she's played.

Hmmm. How is this possible though. Even excluding the rain, there are several women's 3rd round matches that still need to be completed on Monday, so I take it they wouldn't play the quarters until Wednesday, no?

Bruno71
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:30 AM
Hmmm. How is this possible though. Even excluding the rain, there are several women's 3rd round matches that still need to be completed on Monday, so I take it they wouldn't play the quarters until Wednesday, no?

Good question. They might have some players double up on Monday. Or, if they did move stuff to Wednesday, the women's matches might end up outside of central or court 1?

G1Player2
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:32 AM
Good question. They might have some players double up on Monday. Or, if they did move stuff to Wednesday, the women's matches might end up outside of central or court 1?

:rolleyes: The tournament organisers will really regret not letting the 3rd round matches be completed on Sunday. The forecast for next week doesn't look good at all.

Bruno71
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:38 AM
:rolleyes: The tournament organisers will really regret not letting the 3rd round matches be completed on Sunday. The forecast for next week doesn't look good at all.

At this point the singles matches may be moved to outside courts but they'll get done. The doubles matches could be a problem if it rains almost non-stop all week.

G1Player2
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:40 AM
At this point the singles matches may be moved to outside courts but they'll get done. The doubles matches could be a problem if it rains almost non-stop all week.

Are the quarters usually all played on the same day?

Bruno71
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:41 AM
Are the quarters usually all played on the same day?

Looks that way from the provisional schedule...I always forget these details.

G1Player2
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:51 AM
Looks that way from the provisional schedule...I always forget these details.

If that's the case the quarters will be played on Wednesday because the remaining 3rd round matches will be completed on Monday, 4th round presumably on Tuesday (barring rain), and the quarters on Wednesday. But some of the 4th round matches will be done on Monday too...soo...Should be interesting..

Bruno71
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:58 AM
If that's the case the quarters will be played on Wednesday because the remaining 3rd round matches will be completed on Monday, 4th round presumably on Tuesday (barring rain), and the quarters on Wednesday. But some of the 4th round matches will be done on Monday too...soo...Should be interesting..

It should end up like this:

Monday - Bottom half 3rd round completions and top half 4th rounds.
Tuesday - Top half QFs and bottom half 4th rounds.
Wednesday - Bottom half QFs.
Thursday - Semifinals.

G1Player2
Jul 1st, 2007, 08:09 AM
It should end up like this:

Monday - Bottom half 3rd round completions and top half 4th rounds.
Tuesday - Top half QFs and bottom half 4th rounds.
Wednesday - Bottom half QFs.
Thursday - Semifinals.

That's what I was thinking too but i thought they'd want to play all the quarters on the same day. :shrug:

Bruno71
Jul 1st, 2007, 08:11 AM
That's what I was thinking too but i thought they'd want to play all the quarters on the same day. :shrug:

It's the only way I could see them doing it without players having to double up...or putting all men's & women's quarters on the same day which I don't think they'd do. And, what I ultimately think is that they'll just have to fit these matches in whenever they can as many as they can, if the weather isn't good. Could get ugly.

G1Player2
Jul 1st, 2007, 08:13 AM
It's the only way I could see them doing it without players having to double up...or putting all men's & women's quarters on the same day which I don't think they'd do. And, what I ultimately think is that they'll just have to fit these matches in whenever they can as many as they can, if the weather isn't good. Could get ugly.

The weather was so bad in 2001 that the women's final had to be pushed to Sunday and I believe the men's final was played on a Monday.

Bruno71
Jul 1st, 2007, 08:23 AM
The weather was so bad in 2001 that the women's final had to be pushed to Sunday and I believe the men's final was played on a Monday.

That would suck for the tournament...having the men's final on a work day.

austennis
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:09 AM
I dont agree.. but i find it suprising that no 1 is really predicting a Williams vs Williams final..

s_j
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:49 AM
If any of the two Williams girls is going to make the final, it will be Serena. Venus won't get past Maria. Maria's in super form and Venus is a double break down to Morigami in the second set... Enough said.

rottweily
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:50 AM
That would be fantastic :D

Tenis Srbija
Jul 1st, 2007, 10:24 AM
:haha: Yeah, sure...

anon57
Jul 1st, 2007, 11:01 AM
Poor Justine, Bud Collins picking you to win usually means you're gonna lose, he's always wrong. If I'm not mistaken he picked Ivanovic to win RG.

wally1
Jul 1st, 2007, 11:29 AM
If all goes according to Bud's prediction, would this be the first time in a WHILE that the both men and women's Roland Garros Champions won at Wimbledon in the same year?I thought this would have last happened in the 70's with Borg and Chris Evert, but it never did due to Evert losing the finals of Wim in 79 and 80. I may have missed one, but I think the only time this has happened was in 1925 with Rene Lacoste and Suzanne Lenglen!

Direwolf
Jul 1st, 2007, 11:32 AM
its really sad...
not to diss Venus or anything...
but.. she hasnt made past the 3R yet...

i just hope that he doesnt jinx Venus...

eugreene2
Jul 1st, 2007, 11:48 AM
Lawd, I did not want to say this but this was my prediction at the beginning of the tourney. One it means that Justine would beat Serena & Lawd knows I didn't wanna say that. Also, it meant Venus would beat Sharapova & Kuzy & Possibly Mauresmo to get to the final & that just seemed unlikely given her current form. But sure enough, my gut has been telling me it would be a Henin/Venus repeat final of '01.

This is good though. Serena needs to get wind of the Collins' & Drysdales of the world who are picking Henin over her. By the way, Collins picked Venus to make the '06 French final & she lost in the quarters to Nicole.

venusdemilo
Jul 1st, 2007, 12:31 PM
Ballsy prediction... though I'm afraid both players have been jinxed. As much as I love Vee, on her current form I don't see her getting past Maria -- if she gets past Morigami in this current match. And I do see Serena beating Henin, in a tight three-setter.

Not to mention, the Fed man is winning Wimby again...he's gonna have the easiest time of anybody, his round of 16 opponent Tommy Haas withdrew today, so he's in the quarters and he doesn't play anymore till Wednesday!

Thanx4nothin
Jul 1st, 2007, 12:50 PM
Right so now we know that Justine won't beat Serena considering Bud Collins has put the jinx on henin. After his predictions over the years i'm now confident at a serena momo final coming to fruition.

Vlad Tepes
Jul 1st, 2007, 12:57 PM
Right so now we know that Justine won't beat Serena considering Bud Collins has put the jinx on henin. After his predictions over the years i'm now confident at a serena momo final coming to fruition.

There's a first time for everything, and what better place for Bud's predictions to come true than Wimbledon? It's more likely for Justine however, as Venus would have to get past Morigami, Sharapova, Kuznetsova and Mauresmo and I honestly don't think she stands to much of a chance to achieve this.

GracefulVenus
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:06 PM
She will get passed Maria............mark this post! Maria hits just the type of ball that get Venus into a rhythm. Plus, Maria will still be thinking about that semi-final loss and attempt to give more than she has too.

Edward.
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:08 PM
Nadal to win Wimbledon??? :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

He won't make the final. He doesn't have a cakewalk draw like he did last year.

And as for Venus...no. Just no.

Onyxangel
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:09 PM
I love Ju's game, but I would honestly be stunned if she beats Serena... and if Venus does in fact pull into form to run her gauntlet and make the finals, and Ju were to beat her as well... then Justine:

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

V-MAC
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:09 PM
ohhh gawdd all i care about is Venus beating Morigami. Everything else is all gravy.

Yep me too. Everyone seems to be talking about the pova/Vee 4th round like its a given but still a lot of work to be done tomorrow first for Venus.

Onyxangel
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:10 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Shoulderpova
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:11 PM
Momo-Justine final again but with different outcome :)

Onyxangel
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:12 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Onyxangel
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:12 PM
And still more

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

kadirelf
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:25 PM
Go Nadal and Williams sisters

The Daviator
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:29 PM
A Serena-Sharapova final it is then :)

Direwolf
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:58 PM

OMG...
arent we in almost the same situation now....
2001 vs 2007
RG: Justine had a great RG run, Venus lost early...
W: Venus took the 1st set, Justine took the 2nd set, Vee took the 3rd set easily....

RG: Justine had a supergreat RG run, Venus lost early
w: who knows, except, when they both meet up... it will be a 3rd set..!!

hopefully Vee takes it again..!!

sweetpeas
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:06 PM

ha ha .....

I actually prefer when people doubt Serena. I think she does too, it motivates her that much more. That's why I'm glad to hear people say they expect Justine to beat Serena. I just hope it gets back to her to fire her up even more...

Me to...

Craigy
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:12 PM
A Serena-Sharapova final it is then :)

:lol:

fightserena!!!
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:25 PM
I hope it's another all-williams final. I mean, in spite of their recent success and relatively decent return to the game, noone will accept that they are as great as they once were until they share a GS final again. Myself included. I hope this is it.

.ivy.
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:29 PM
Asshole. I don't know why he would screw Justine over like this.

I hope that she can prove him wrong though; otherwise, we should just give the trophies to Venus and Roger. :tape:

Thkmra
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:44 PM
Asshole. I don't know why he would screw Justine over like this.

I hope that she can prove him wrong though; otherwise, we should just give the trophies to Venus and Roger. :tape:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

spencercarlos
Jul 1st, 2007, 08:01 PM
I think if she beats Maria she can beat Kuznetsova. Maria is a tougher opponent on grass than Svetlana. Mauresmo is on a higher level than both of the Russians so no matter who Venus beats she would play the most solid woman in the draw and the defending champion in the semifinals. I think beating an in form Maria would be a ticket to the semifinal. In order ofr Venus to lose in the quarters she would have to play worse than she did in the fourth round.
Kuznetsova is an unprecitable player but very dangerous and very quick around the court.
Maria´s match against Venus should be up to her, if she is able to keep her errors down she should beat Sharapova, because we know that Sharapova does not have the footspeed that Kuznetsova has for example and run balls down and force Venus to make the error.
Plus Kuznetsova and Mauresmo have beaten Venus in their latest encounters, while i´m sure that Venus win over Sharapova in the semis in 2005 can/could/shoud be still in her mind.

Il Primo!
Jul 1st, 2007, 08:32 PM
I think neitheir Venus nor Justine will reach the final. It's a Serena/Jankovic versus Maria/Mauresmo affair.

Nemo_Kool
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:06 PM
I think the prediction is tarnished when he says Nadal will win Wimbledon...however, i do think if Venus beats Sharapova in the 4th (hopefully!!! winning the 3rd 1st!!!) i think the odds of her in the final are immense as this would be the 'click' she was talking about...momentum would shift because her form is not bad she has lost 4/6 of her losses in tight 3 setters with the only thing not there being consistentcy and CONFIDENCE. I am tipping her for the title in my opinion and hey stranger things have happened...the other finalist will be Serena or Henin, obviously i want Serena to win and i think she will as she gets more practice with doubles and she has the confidence of grass behind her so i know im extremely bias but i do think it will happen...PLEASE!!!

Kunal
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:56 PM
i think it could an all williams final

Callystarr
Jul 1st, 2007, 10:00 PM
I find it even more amazing how many people are really saying that Nadal will get Federer on GRASS...

Pasta-Na
Jul 1st, 2007, 10:16 PM
i have a strong feeling that juju will complete juju's slams in this year :help:

WF4EVER
Jul 1st, 2007, 11:25 PM
I wish Bud Collins would just stfu.

All these commentators act like they know something about tennis and their picks are based on sound judgment.

Time after time it's been proven that they don't know shit; tennis fans know more about tennis and tennis players than they do.

At the end of the week it will just be about which commentator guessed right.

Poova
Jul 1st, 2007, 11:30 PM
No way is Venus reaching the final in my opinion. She'll lose to Sharapova and I think it will be another three-setter like in Miami. Henin could get there, it's either her or Serena in the final in the top half because Jankovic will probably choke if she gets her opportunity to reach her first Grand Slam final.

V-MAC
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I thought this thread deserved to be bumped :angel: I know both players have yet to win another match to get there and I'm not trying to jinx them but I just wanted to show that maybe Bud is on to something after all ;)

junlee_vee
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I thought this thread deserved to be bumped :angel: I know both players have yet to win another match to get there and I'm not trying to jinx them but I just wanted to show that maybe Bud is on to something after all ;)

Except that Venus wins!;)

darrinbaker00
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I wish Bud Collins would just stfu.

All these commentators act like they know something about tennis and their picks are based on sound judgment.

Time after time it's been proven that they don't know shit; tennis fans know more about tennis and tennis players than they do.

At the end of the week it will just be about which commentator guessed right.
I guess they'll be asking you to write the next edition of the Tennis Encyclopedia..... :rolleyes:

Poova
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:15 PM
No way is Venus reaching the final in my opinion. She'll lose to Sharapova and I think it will be another three-setter like in Miami. Henin could get there, it's either her or Serena in the final in the top half because Jankovic will probably choke if she gets her opportunity to reach her first Grand Slam final.
Damn I was wrong. :lol:

mdterp01
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I guess old Bud knew what he was talkin about.

Jasmin
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Now Bud is gone....:lol:

hwanmig
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:21 PM
His picks for the women is pretty spot on but there is no way Nadal is winning Wimbledon.

Sam L
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I guess old Bud knew what he was talkin about.

WHO CARES?!? I predicted this before this tournament even started. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bruno71
Jul 7th, 2007, 02:24 AM
So close this time Bud, so close. Well actually, not really...it was nearly a bagel in the 3rd.

kiwifan
Jul 7th, 2007, 02:30 AM
http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060629/060629_williams_vmed_10a.widec.jpg

The Look of a True Queen

WF4EVER
Jul 7th, 2007, 02:36 AM
No wonder he lost his frigging job!

Beforehand
Jul 7th, 2007, 02:39 AM
:haha:

Bud Collins Kiss of Death strikes again.

This is funnier than his stupid "Someday Federer won't win on grass or Nadal won't win on clay" picks.

He used it to move Marion Bartoli into a slam final.

darrinbaker00
Jul 7th, 2007, 02:42 AM

The Look of a True Queen

For the second time in three years, Reebok gets a free billboard on Centre Court for the Ladies' Singles final..... :fiery: