PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon: Northern vs. Southern Queue - The Ultimate Comparison

GoDominique
Jun 30th, 2007, 11:40 PM
On Thursday I finally managed to join the Southern Queue for the first time, and I did again on Friday. Now that I've experienced both queues I will try to compare them so you can make your choice based on it. :p

Northern Queue from Southfields

Pros:

- short walk from Southfields station (10 mins)
- "refreshments" available (drinks, burgers, etc.)
- more people around giving you free stuff (Yoghurt!)
- a bit more atmosphere

Cons:

- longer (average wait until entering the grounds was about 2 hours 30 on average)

Southern Queue from Wimbledon

Pros:

- shorter (waited two hours on Thursday when Henman was playing and only 90 minutes on Friday when I arrived at 9 am and was in when grounds opened)

Cons:

- longer walk (20 mins from Wimbledon Park station, about same from Wimbledon station)
- less refreshments (not that I use them much)
- no yoghurt :(:(

In my view, if you are somewhat late you should join the Southern Queue. Even with the longer walk you will be in earlier.
Since I don't queue overnight I can't comment on that, but I'm pretty sure chances to get show court tickets are better there too.
The Northern Queue is more entertaining overall being at the road so you should definitely join it at least once.

Dava
Jun 30th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Have never joined the North que, I kinda like the South que cos the facilities are all there, and when it rains the trees keep you dry and your close to the car park, and southfields...that kinda thing.

GoDominique
Jun 30th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Have never joined the North que, I kinda like the South que cos the facilities are all there, and when it rains the trees keep you dry and your close to the car park, and southfields...that kinda thing.
Hmmm aren't you describing the northern one there? :scratch: :p

Jean-Pierre.
Jun 30th, 2007, 11:51 PM
This is why I make sure to buy my tickets on the first day they are available so I don't have to worry about queuing. Too much of a hassle.

Dava
Jun 30th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Hmmm aren't you describing the northern one there? :scratch: :p

Yes thats what I mean...sorry! Arg! North...south...not much diffrence really!:tape:

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 30th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Hey this really has the potential to be a great thread. I am a creature of habit and thus I have always opted for the Southfields queue over a period of many years even though I have always suspected the other queue was quicker. So to read a comparison like yours was quite fascinating. I must say I do like all of the Northern queue freebees and the thought of foregoing those isn't pleasant. Nor is having a longer walk from the station. But when I am cutting it fine and am later than ideal I will certainly consider the Southern queue in the future. Thanks so much for this post.

GoDominique
Jun 30th, 2007, 11:58 PM
This is why I make sure to buy my tickets on the first day they are available so I don't have to worry about queuing. Too much of a hassle.
People are actually queueing in Wimbledon because it IS the first day that regular tickets are available. You can't just buy tickets in advance.
And 90 minutes isn't all that bad.

Escape
Jul 1st, 2007, 12:05 AM
I have been to Wimbledon 7 times and always get the queue from the south end as I get the train into wimbledon and then the bus.

It took me about 2 hours to get in on tuesday

!<blocparty>!
Jul 1st, 2007, 12:32 AM
Are the American express stands between Southfields and the northern queue there again this year? I blagged like 50 bottles of mineral water last year. And free papers.

GoDom, where exactly is the south queue this year? I camped in 2005 and it was just to the left of the main entrance.... it doesn't seem to have been there the past couple of years. :confused: Also, would there be enough room for a medium sized tent in that one and space to park your car by the side of it overnight.

Thanks.

GoDominique
Jul 1st, 2007, 12:54 AM
I didn't see those stands. Then again I am often blind when it comes to things like that, so there might have been, which would annoy me very much. :fiery:

The main part of the southern queue is now on the other side of the road within the Golf course. You stay on that side until you reach the security check which is actually past Gate 3. After that you go up the bridge where you join the folks from the other queue, cross the street and then go "back" to Gate 3.

Again, I don't know much about overnight camping. I think it starts way up the road at that church. I think there's enough room for a tent, but I'm not sure about the car issue. I don't think there's parking space right there but the stewards would probably be able to give you some advice. :)

Paule22
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:11 AM
I queued both days from Southfields and was in waiting 90 minutes on Wednesday and on Thursday. Wednesday I joined the queue at 9 and on Thursday at 9:30. I was a bit worried, that it would be too late, but it was absolutely perfect!

And I loved the refreshments, the atmosphere was so great! I dont wann to miss the queue. :)

dav abu
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:18 AM
is the North queue the queue at St.Marys church?

dav abu
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:47 AM
We camped up by St.Marys church for a few nights last year. It was tough going alright but we still laugh about it now! Sleeping in an shitty Aldi tent so not really sleeping at all and then getting woken up before 6 but feck it well worth it when you get in. In 05 got down to the queue at about 4 in the morning and just wrapped myself in a blanket on the pavement but didn't mind once I got my ticket for Lindsay, that year the queue was allowed up to the gate. Momo-Fan I would be the first to say that yes the queue is massive hassle but I think it is brilliant that it is there and I really hope the queue isn't stopped! who is thinking of going up tomorrow?

PamShriverRockz
Jul 1st, 2007, 10:20 AM
I've been in both queues many times, and have camped in both queues many times! I think I've ended up in the northern queue more often though, I tend to prefer it - it's shorter walk from Southfields. Plus camping has always been better in that queue.

I remember one year camping by St.Mary's Church in the south queue and it was a nightmare - too loud with people messing around by the church all night etc.

Dave.
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:45 PM
I queued from the Northern side. It was alright and yes there were loads of places to get refreshments, but I don't remember any yoghurt:(

I'm probably going again on Tuesday or Wednesday whenever the Ladies Veterans Doubles start. I want to see Gigi & Natasha and Jana & Helena:hearts: